Author Topic: NBA players who fake fouls might soon be penalized themselves, a league official  (Read 3179 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
From AZ Central

NBA might penalize players for flopping

Scott Soshnick
Bloomberg News
Jan. 25, 2007 01:07 PM

National Basketball Association players who fake fouls might soon be penalized themselves, a league official said.

The NBA is studying how often feigned fouls, known as "flops," occur and whether officials can consistently tell the difference between actual fouls and embellishments, said Stu Jackson, the executive vice president for basketball operations.

"They're really difficult to determine in real time. They're meant to fool an official," Jackson told reporters today. "Are we going to be wrong more times than not? It's tough, but we're looking at it." advertisement 

FIBA, the governing body for international basketball, allows referees to impose a technical foul for flopping, a penalty that Jackson said the NBA is considering. Other sports, including soccer and hockey, also allow officials to penalize players who embellish fouls.

"We have so many more plays than you do in a football or soccer game and in a more intimate environment," said Jackson, who didn't offer a timetable for a decision.

Jackson met with reporters in New York to discuss the league's officiating program.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Great idea, too hard to achieve.  The reason I say that is it is very hard, real time, to decide if a player is flopping.  I also do not think they have the resources/man-power to be able to review every game after the fact.  If they go after known floppers then that is not fair when players who are not "known floppers" do the same thing.  You have to punish everyone or not punish anyone in that case.  Think it would be safe to assume the players association would take it up with the league if they felt certain players were specifically being singled out.

If this goes through I see Manu Ginobilli beating Sheed Wallace out for the most T'd player in a season award.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
If there is any sincerity behind the movement, i applaud the long overdue move.

Interesting to learn how the refs are taught to differentiate between a flop and true bump.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
In return then you have to penalize shooters who act like they were hit by a freight train when the opponent breathes on them.

IMO this is another rule that leaves to much discretion in the hands of the ref to effect the outcome of a game.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
No way this rule should be implemented.  Too hard to distinguish between flop and fouls, obviously there are players who are know floppers but it's not fair to single them out.  IMO if this rule is implemented it will be used very sparringly which will get people all in a huff when their team is on the wrong end of a missed called.  If it's used on a regular basis then there will be a huge uproar of complaints.

No-win unless we get a whole new crop of NBA refs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Why is flopping illegal, anyway? Where's the rule?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:40:55 AM »
Hey y'all!

IMO, 'flopping' is  part of the game, just like a good cross-over move - the whole gamesmanship aspect of it adds to the complexity of the sport.  Subterfuge is an intrinsic element of human life - why not overtly incorporate it into round-ball?  Besides, look how many players have specialized in the 'flop', to good effect - Derek Fisher immediately comes to mind.  If you're not good at it (like Vlade Divac), the 'flop' is worse than useless.

- RB
Shaq #1 forever
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 04:18:53 PM by Rolando Blackman »
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
In return then you have to penalize shooters who act like they were hit by a freight train when the opponent breathes on them.

IMO this is another rule that leaves to much discretion in the hands of the ref to effect the outcome of a game.

Or shooters who do the good ol Reggie Miller and move a part of their body to the side in order to catch a defender.  While no one does it nearly as much as Reggie, I've seen this play a number of times.  Even from guys like Sasha Vuachic and Michael Redd.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

Or shooters who do the good ol Reggie Miller and move a part of their body to the side in order to catch a defender.  While no one does it nearly as much as Reggie, I've seen this play a number of times.  Even from guys like Sasha Vuachic and Michael Redd.

Vince Carter does it almost as much as Reggie use to.  TMac uses it probably once a game also.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Did this idea to penalize floppers just die on the vine under Sternfishes watch?
Apparantly so.

The end of regulation Hornets-Lakers a few nights ago with Swisher doing the Electric Slide under CP3.  Gagging.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Did this idea to penalize floppers just die on the vine under Sternfishes watch?
Apparantly so.

The end of regulation Hornets-Lakers a few nights ago with Swisher doing the Electric Slide under CP3.  Gagging.

Under the new rules Manu would have to retire from NBA basketball because he would be penalized to the point of not being allowed on the court.  Without flopping Manu's production would drop by 80% so the Spurs filed a formal protest.  Stern stated he did not want to upset his "bottom beeyotch's", so he recinded the rule much to the delight of Manu fans everywhere.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks FRAN*.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
 :D :D I've been WoW *owned*.  Again.  Now all you need is a koast certified.

At least you're keeping the subject at the top.
When you have any real input on the Sterny response to the flopping rule situation, please do post.  Until then thanks for the usual input.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
:D :D I've been WoW *owned*.  Again.  Now all you need is a koast certified.

At least you're keeping the subject at the top.
When you have any real input on the Sterny response to the flopping rule situation, please do post.  Until then thanks for the usual input.

Under the new rules Manu would have to retire from NBA basketball because he would be penalized to the point of not being allowed on the court.  Without flopping Manu's production would drop by 80% so the Spurs filed a formal protest.  Stern stated he did not want to upset his "bottom beeyotch's", so he recinded the rule much to the delight of Manu fans everywhere.

OWNED!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"