Author Topic: Listened to Jerry West interview on radio this morning  (Read 1867 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Listened to Jerry West interview on radio this morning
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
He was interviewed by the local radio morning sports show guys, known as the Rise Guys here in SacTown. Pretty good show, in general.

Jerry was an interesting interview, but one thing he said struck me, and apparently the hosts of that show as well. As we all know, Jerry is the model for the NBA image on all merchandise and whatnot. We see his silhouette on everything.

Turns out, the NBA has never acknowledged that the image that showcases their League is actually Jerry West. It doesn't bother Jerry, he says, but he and others might find it strange. But the host of the show hit on the obvious reason.

The NBA does not have to pay him any royalties.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Listened to Jerry West interview on radio this morning
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:51:33 AM »
Ya this was brought up a while ago in LA...they will not admit that it is him nor does he get any royalties on it.  I don't see why he hasn't sued them for it.  I personally would.  He is on every single piece of merchandise from hats to jerseys to basketballs.

Not that Jerry is not well off but if they are going to use your image and not even acknowledge that....make them.  I don't think it's a money thing as much as it is a shady thing IMO.

Did he speak about the rebuilding process of the Grizz?  I know there has been a major hold up because of issues with the owner.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:07:53 PM »
I read about this a while back.  The NBA position is that it is a silhouette of combination player.  In essence they say that it isn't modeled after any one player but a mixture of several.  And also no one knows where the notion that it is Jerry West ever came from.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 12:13:34 PM »
I read about this a while back.  The NBA position is that it is a silhouette of combination player.  In essence they say that it isn't modeled after any one player but a mixture of several.  And also no one knows where the notion that it is Jerry West ever came from.

If I can find the picture on the Internet I can show you.  It is def Jerry West.

The NBA position is a bold faced lie to try to get out of playing royalty fees on millions of products they endorse.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:15:50 PM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:18:59 PM »
Ya this was brought up a while ago in LA...they will not admit that it is him nor does he get any royalties on it.  I don't see why he hasn't sued them for it.  I personally would.  He is on every single piece of merchandise from hats to jerseys to basketballs.

Not that Jerry is not well off but if they are going to use your image and not even acknowledge that....make them.  I don't think it's a money thing as much as it is a shady thing IMO.

Did he speak about the rebuilding process of the Grizz?  I know there has been a major hold up because of issues with the owner.

Actually, no. He did not say hardly anything about the Grizzlies, probably because, like most good GM's, they like to keep negotiations close to the vest.

What he did talk about was interesting. He admitted to being pretty much a loner. When growing up in West Virginia, there just was not all that much to do, so he worked on his hoops by himself. He would playact, like there was one second left on the clock and he had to shoot the winning basket. If he missed, he would make up some excuse so a second still remained and he could try it again. He admitted this is often how he would visualize the exact type of scenario once he became a pro and it would help calm him down for those late game heroics he was noted for.

He also discussed how he and Oscar Robinson would fare against Jordan and Magic, if they had played two on two. He felt the eras were too different, that coaches nowadays tend to run the plays more then they did in his day, so it would be hard to match up, though he admitted that Jordan and Magic were such good all round players, it would have been an interesting matchup.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »

Actually, no. He did not say hardly anything about the Grizzlies, probably because, like most good GM's, they like to keep negotiations close to the vest.

I don't mean specifics as much as a mention if they were able to move players and actively seek a new head coach.  There was rumors of the team being sold and that was holding them up from doing anything.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »

If I can find the picture on the Internet I can show you.  It is def Jerry West.

The picture you just showed me, westkoast, doesn't convince me.  The angle of the head is wrong.  The facing of direction is wrong.

I believe it's West - but that picture wouldn't be good enough evidence if you took it to a jury I was on.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »
How do you know it's not a picture of Bob Cousy?  He looked exactly the same when he played.

Besides, it's a damn boring logo, only reason it's still around it that there's been no need to change it.