Author Topic: Oh happy Days!!  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Oh happy Days!!
« on: January 22, 2007, 12:53:23 PM »
No Patriots Superbowl! Go Bears!
Dan

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oh happy Days!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:16:23 PM »
No kidding, I never thought I'd see the day where I was cheering for the Colts. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:28:17 PM »
No Patriots Superbowl! Go Bears!

Not enthusiastic enough, Laker fan!!

Where's the banner? Where's the prancing on the Patriot image?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:28 PM »
I'm glad to see Dungy make it and I'm glad we won't have to hear more about the Pats owning the Colts.  However, I just can't get myself to really hate the Patriots.   Certainly not the way I hate the Packers or the Cowboys.   

Here's a link to Bill Simmons article on this very topic.  For me, the reason I've turned on the Pats is actually spillover from my sudden hatred of Red Sox fans.  He addresses this issue somewhat but man, the Sox fans were exposed as an insufferable bunch of nuts after 2004.  Like much of America I wanted to feel good for Boston fans for finally breaking the Yankee's spell but they made it impossible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070119

P.S. I also worship at the alter of Marvin Harrison.  For years there have been four guys who really stood out at wide reciever.  Harrison, Moss, TO and Holt.  Marvin's professionalism has definitely left Moss and TO in the dust.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 06:00:54 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 08:07:34 PM »
  For me, the reason I've turned on the Pats is actually spillover from my sudden hatred of Red Sox fans.  He addresses this issue somewhat but man, the Sox fans were exposed as an insufferable bunch of nuts after 2004.  Like much of America I wanted to feel good for Boston fans for finally breaking the Yankee's spell but they made it impossible.

:D  :D  :D
A Phillies fan calling out fans of another team for being insufferable bunch of nuts
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 11:51:57 PM »
Phillies fan?  Uuuhh I always admired Mike Schmidt but no.  My guys are Carew, Blyleven, Killebrew, Puckett, Viola and Santana.   ;) 

Twins fans barely register on the obnoxious fan scale. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:59:51 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:08:39 AM »
P.S. I also worship at the alter of Marvin Harrison.  For years there have been four guys who really stood out at wide reciever.  Harrison, Moss, TO and Holt.  Marvin's professionalism has definitely left Moss and TO in the dust.

I did the same thing, jn, than Wolverine shattered my religious adulation of Marvin when he recounted an anecdote about a fan wanting an autograph.  I don't quite remember the whole thing.  Hey Wolverine, say that story again, I want to know why I can't kneel beside jn at the alter of Marvin Harrison.

I'm glad to see Dungy make it and I'm glad we won't have to hear more about the Pats owning the Colts.

I'm happy for Tony Dungy, especially since he got screwed in Tampa Bay.  Thanks for doing all the hardwork, Tony, we'll let Gruden get all the accolades.  I'm even happier about the fact that the NFL has never, in its entire history, had a black coach in the Superbowl--now you've got two.  Should do a lot to debunk the silly myths and prejudices. 

However, I just can't get myself to really hate the Patriots.

Eventually the media just saturates and skews the coverage of the champions so much that you almost can't help but hate a team like that.  The bs QB roughing calls on the golden child "Tom Terrific", the face-masking and unnessecary roughness by patriots defenders ignored,  and the unnatural amount of good fortune and favorable calls they are beneficiaries of.  In the beginning, I was as big a Bill Belichick fan as there was and still think he's brilliant but I have to cheer against Tom Brady and the Patriots every chance I get. 

About the Superbowl, I'll cheer for Dungy and Manning to get their much deserved rings.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
Yeah Skandery, I should probably qualify that to say I worship the player, not the man.  The bar has been set so low that as long as he plays hard and makes an ass of himself in public less than 3 times a year he looks pretty good.

Some years ago there was talk of ditching Denny Green and moving Dungy up from Defensive Coordinator to head coach of the Vikes.  Talk about a missed opportunity.  Dungy is a much better coach and a much better MAN than Denny. 

And here's your trivia for the day.  Dungy and Flip Saunders were roommates at MN back in the 70's.  If memory serves me correctly Dungy spent a year on the basketball squad in addition to his duties as a four year starter at quarterback. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:06:16 PM by jn »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »
Phillies fan?  Uuuhh I always admired Mike Schmidt but no.  My guys are Carew, Blyleven, Killebrew, Puckett, Viola and Santana.   ;) 

Twins fans barely register on the obnoxious fan scale. 

Sorry, brain freeze. I was thinking back to ....was it jr??? A Sixers fan.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Eventually the media just saturates and skews the coverage of the champions so much that you almost can't help but hate a team like that.  The bs QB roughing calls on the golden child "Tom Terrific", the face-masking and unnessecary roughness by patriots defenders ignored,  and the unnatural amount of good fortune and favorable calls they are beneficiaries of.  In the beginning, I was as big a Bill Belichick fan as there was and still think he's brilliant but I have to cheer against Tom Brady and the Patriots every chance I get. 

You left out the "tuck rule" any so-called dynasty talk regarding the success of the Patriots should always start with the call that changed their fortunes forever.

And I am glad to see someone else has noticed that every break on the football field during the playoffs for years has gone to the Patriots. That was why I almost lost it when Wayne lost control of that ball, then miraculously hawled it back in when he was surrounded by five Patriots. That hardly ever happens to the Patriots and frankly, I was stunned the refs did not try to somehow give it to New England anyway. Normally, they would.   

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 01:11:53 PM »
I'm happy for Tony Dungy, especially since he got screwed in Tampa Bay.  Thanks for doing all the hardwork, Tony, we'll let Gruden get all the accolades.  I'm even happier about the fact that the NFL has never, in its entire history, had a black coach in the Superbowl--now you've got two.  Should do a lot to debunk the silly myths and prejudices. 

Genius move bringing in Gruden for the title.
You have only one guy to thank for Dungy not being a bridesmaid once again.
Marty.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »
Not enthusiastic enough, Laker fan!!

Where's the banner? Where's the prancing on the Patriot image?
[/quote]

Actually JoMal, I simply hadn't the time to post more, otherwise dancing on the Patriots early grave would have surely been included, so sick to death am I of the Pampered Pats getting ALL THE CALLS, ALL THE TIME. Loved watching Brady hang his head in defeat after that interception, LOVED IT!

Really ambivilant about this Superbowl, would prefer the Bears as I am an NFC guy (EXCEPT THE HATED COWGIRLS), but will be happy for Manning and company if they win.
Dan