Colts by 7 or less
2 (28.6%)
Bears by 7 or less
1 (14.3%)
Bears in a rout
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 05, 2007, 01:18:27 AM

Author Topic: Super Bowl  (Read 3144 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Super Bowl
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:18:27 AM »
Who wins, and by how much?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 12:21:02 PM »
I am going to say the Colts in a route.  I don't think anyone knows how happy I was yesterday to see my boy Manning stick it to NE.  All week long I was the only person who picked Manning in the office.  Everyone else said he can't win and that the Colts are nothing but whipping boys.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
That Colts/Patriots game was good viewing football.

I thought Manning was particularly humble and respectful towards the Patriots after the game. I also could not help but notice the relief in his voice and how well-spoken but confident he sounded in all the interview sessions.

Now go back and listen to Rex Grossman in the interview room after the Bears/Saints game. Could anyone else not help but notice how completely overwhelmed this guy sounded? Scared and unsure of himself, not ready for the grand stage coming up.

Based on the comparisons of how these guys reacted after their respective wins, if I were a betting man, I would steer clear and far from any team Rex Grossman was going to quarterback in two weeks. That guy was out of his league, and he knew it.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:08:47 PM »
^^ was i the only one who thought "here it comes again?" (Pats grease-good fortune) when Indy reciever failed to cover up ball, got hit, fumbled ball in air 2 feet, only to completely grease out and have it fall right back to him as Pat db was wrapping him up.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »
I'm going with the Bears because they will outplay the Colts.  They are a more physical team, built to play ball control and pound other teams.

Manning did well, but it was Brady who threw the interception on what should have been the game winning drive, so it's really Indy's defense that deserves the credit.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »
No, I have to say the Colts are more likely to win for several reasons.

First, the Bears have Rex Grossman, who should not be the quarterback face of a team going to the Super Bowl. If this is a close game, Grossman is NOT the guy you want trying to lead your team down the field in the waning moments to try to tie or take the lead. Now picture Peyton Manning in the same scenario. No contest.

Second, the major weakness of the Bears this season has been giving up the big play, most often on deep passes. We may have a bit of a mismatch there, folks.

Third, the most prolific threat for the Bears? Its Hestor. The Bears will no doubt be handed excellent field position all day due to him, plus the defense is so good at taking the ball away. So it just might come down to how well the Colt defense can maintain the line of scrimage and keep the Bears out of the end zone and force them to try field goals. The problem for the Bears in these terrific situations? Again, their quarterback. He is more likely to misfire on his passes due to his high level of anxiety, so can the Bears run the ball on the Colts? To a point, but the Colts of late have actually been tackling and keeping the runners in front of them. That is mostly due to Sanders being healthy and playing once again. That one guy seems to energize that entire defense by himself. A difference maker.     
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Colts will kick boot
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 12:12:20 AM »
Hey y'all!!!

Yes, that Colts - Patriots game was the true Super Bowl...reminiscent of the early '90s annual 49ers-Cowboys NFC Championship showdowns that produced the eventual Super Bowl winner.

i have tried to analyze myself to figure out why I don't like Tom Brady. I never had anything against any previous Patriots QB, from Steve Grogan on forward...I guess it seems that it came all too easily for Brady.  Usually, a Super Bowl-winning QB has to undergo some trauma before finally 'attaining' (the AIDS virus - Magic) a victory - this is one of the things that cemented John Elway's Hall-of-Fame status.  With Brady, it seemed like he just had a cake-walk to superstardom (and Jessica Simpson - LOL), largely due to the mastery of Belichick (whose classless brush-off of Manning confirmed La Dainian's assertions about him...what else).  However, after watching Brady's masterful performances throughout the playoffs, I have revised my opinion to state that I think he is one of the greatest ever.  Now THAT's the way respect is earned...Dirk, take note.

- Rolando
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=super/rankings/1-20
There have been 80 teams in the SuperBowl.
This attempts to rank them.
It's kind of fun reminiscing and arguing over the rankings.
'89 49ers
'75 Steel Curtain
Hitler Lombardis Packer teams.
Brady Bunch Post Tuck Pats

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
Great link
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 10:52:43 AM »
Hey Reality!

That is a good one...t'anks, brah!

We 49ers fans take great pride in that two of the top 5 teams are in the 49ers organization...Eddie (deBartolo), you belong in the Hall of Fame too.

My top 3 choices:

'84 49ers - best defense of all time...Fred Dean was a monster.  Dan Marino never recovered from the beating Miami absorbed in this Super Bowl.

'78 Steelers - I hate(d) the Steelers, but this team was awesome.  Terry Bradshaw was a baaaaaad dude - tough as nails.  I saw him get biffed so hard by linebacker Ted Hendricks of Oakland that it rattled my braces through the teevee.  The guy got up like Rocky Balboa after a Clubber Lang haymaker landed, though!  Us NFL OG's think the new rules that 'protect' the QB are outrageous and should be discarded ASAP, BTW.   Be a man, QBs.

'92 Cowboys - what can you say about this team.  Even as a 49ers fan, I had some Emmitt Smith t-shirts.  And now that he's performing his antics on ESPN, I even think Irvin is OK.  Every time I think of him, I am reminded of 2 things:
(1) wearing the full-length sable overcoat with blackout sunglasses to his cocaine-and-hoes trial...what a maroon
(2) getting booed off the field by Philly fans while carried out of 'The Vet' on a stretcher (dabods, ricko...LOL)

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Great link
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:57:38 AM »
Hey Reality!

That is a good one...t'anks, brah!

We 49ers fans take great pride in that two of the top 5 teams are in the 49ers organization...Eddie (deBartolo), you belong in the Hall of Fame too.

My top 3 choices:

'84 49ers - best defense of all time...Fred Dean was a monster.  Dan Marino never recovered from the beating Miami absorbed in this Super Bowl.

'78 Steelers - I hate(d) the Steelers, but this team was awesome.  Terry Bradshaw was a baaaaaad dude - tough as nails.  I saw him get biffed so hard by linebacker Ted Hendricks of Oakland that it rattled my braces through the teevee.  The guy got up like Rocky Balboa after a Clubber Lang haymaker landed, though!  Us NFL OG's think the new rules that 'protect' the QB are outrageous and should be discarded ASAP, BTW.   Be a man, QBs.

'92 Cowboys - what can you say about this team.  Even as a 49ers fan, I had some Emmitt Smith t-shirts.  And now that he's performing his antics on ESPN, I even think Irvin is OK.  Every time I think of him, I am reminded of 2 things:
(1) wearing the full-length sable overcoat with blackout sunglasses to his cocaine-and-hoes trial...what a maroon
(2) getting booed off the field by Philly fans while carried out of 'The Vet' on a stretcher (dabods, ricko...LOL)

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever

I love Michael Irvin as a commentator!  I think he is interesting yet at the same time very knowledgable about the game.  Especially with his track record and expierence in the playoffs, I think around that time of the year he brings insight that some of the others cannot. 

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
Michael Irvin
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
Hey wk!

I am sorry to inform you, but my wife thinks that Michael Irvin is the embodiment of every attribute detrimental to black people in America.  Loud, brash, and self-centered - and she's just getting started!  However, I must tell you that as a mid-50s male I am utterly content that my wife even watches football with me - one's expectations of a woman diminish geometrically with each passing year...LOL

- Rolando
Shaq #1
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Michael Irvin
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »
Hey wk!

I am sorry to inform you, but my wife thinks that Michael Irvin is the embodiment of every attribute detrimental to black people in America.  Loud, brash, and self-centered - and she's just getting started!  However, I must tell you that as a mid-50s male I am utterly content that my wife even watches football with me - one's expectations of a woman diminish geometrically with each passing year...LOL

- Rolando
Shaq #1

The loud, brash, funny sense of humor, self-centered (although I think he is not that self centered but does it more as a joke), over the top flashy characteristics of Irvin is what I find interesting.  To me his personality makes it more fun to watch.  You have one side of the spectrum and the other side which is old, fat white guys who are boring for the most part.  I think Bradshaw is a moron and self centered also but to me his personality livens up the broadcast.  Neither are afraid to say exactly what they want. 

Also, you cannot deny how awesome of a player he was.  His insight when it comes to what it takes mentally to be a player and what certain things mean as a player is something that cannot be overlooked.  The guy is a winner and he knows what it takes to win.   They spoke to him about TO and Moss on many occasions and has done an excellent job of describing their mentality.  If anyone knows about being a hot shot, big mouthed reciever, it is Mike.  Not to mention what it takes to change and turn yourself into an adult.

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
I would rather have Irvin than Rice
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »
Hey wk!

Notice that  I (or my wife, for that matter) do not dis Irvin for his on-the-field exploits -  I (we) agree with you concerning Irvin's greatness as a receiver.  Until T.O. (shudder) came on the scene, Michael Irvin was the archetype of the physical wide receiver - remember how much he used to push off on the defender and it was never called as offensive pass interference?  This is related to the post about 'flopping', BTW - just like real life, it's all about what you can get away with.  One of my friends who originally comes from Germany has the perfect corollary to this assertion - "In the United States, being virtuous means you haven't been caught."  Perfect!!!

-RB
Shaq #1 forever
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 11:59:32 AM »
Michael Irwin was caught doing crack with a whore in the Dallas area, and as far as I know nothing happened to him.

He should be in jail doing time, not commenting on Football.

A great wide-out, but that doesn't mean he gets a free ride in life.  What kind of values do you people have? 

Is it too much to ask that the people on TV are actually decent people in real life?  Or would we find that too boring?

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
Who used to call people crack-hos?
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 12:17:41 PM »
Hey ricko!!!

This is the USA - a good 'redemption' story is always glorified.  Just look at how Philly worshipped 'Little Ivey' despite his shadier aspects.

- RB
Shaq #1 forever
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here