Author Topic: Jason Kidd trade talk. Also AK-47.  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Jason Kidd trade talk. Also AK-47.
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:55:49 AM »
http://texas-football.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/16/the-trade-j-kidd-train-picks-up-steam/

lurker would you pachage Parker for him?
I know JoeV would.

Same url some scuttlebut about AK-47 wanting more role in offense and Jazz wanting salary relief.  I can't believe the Jazz would do it this season tho.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jason Kidd trade talk. Also AK-47.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:19:42 PM »
Why deal Parker?  Because he is hurt?  Or because someone needs to be blamed for the Spurs actually being outclassed by the Mavs?!

The question here is do you trade for an  older, aging player who has his own aches and pains in turn giving up your young point guard who has done nothing wrong really.

One would also wonder...could this team keep up all the running with Jason Kidd?  He would alter the offense quite a bit with his open court abilities.  The Spurs feel they are not athletic enough as it is, would this not factor into that?  Also, can Duncan continue to run quite a bit more then he has been use to since he came into this league?

Personally, id like to see Kidd goto the Clippers.  That is a LA homer dream though.  They need a PG badly and Cassell is doing his usual one quality season followed by a weak one trick.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
I wouldn't trade Parker for Kidd and neither would lurker now that i reflect.

Outside of the big 3, Spurs do not have anyone to entice the Nets.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:49:21 PM »

Barry, Fabs, and Greg Popavich for Jason Kidd?

The Clippers on the other hand could offer something up....It would be nice to deal Shaun Livingston and someone else.  I just have a feeling he is not going to work out quite like us LA residents thought.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 02:04:49 PM »

Barry, Fabs, and Greg Popavich for Jason Kidd?

Oh man that would be sweet.  But not Barry also, just Fabs and Pop.
As sweet and the Miami Dolphins taking Shottenheimer and his salary and giving back a draft pick.  WooHoo! :)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »
http://texas-football.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/16/the-trade-j-kidd-train-picks-up-steam/

Same url some scuttlebut about AK-47 wanting more role in offense and Jazz wanting salary relief.  I can't believe the Jazz would do it this season tho.

The Jazz trading Kirilenko???  Well I don't know what to say.  He has not been as effective as he has in the past, but obviously he has sacrificed his own numbers to make the Jazz better.  Not many players willing to do that.  I would venture a guess that if the Jazz were stupid enough to do this then there would be a HUGE number of offers.  If they are serious about moving him for salary relief then they are fools.  If you want salary relief figure out how to move Derek Fisher, or Rafael Araujo, or Matt Harpring, or Gordon Giricek.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
Giricek yes, Harpring maybe, Fisher, no, too much experience and locker room stability, besides is he really makiing that much?

Kirilenko has one problem, he is injury prone, and that is bad when you rely on his defensive and rebounding skills. I'd say his smaller role in the offense has really allowed the Jazz to blossom on that end of the court and really use their ball control skills to full effect. Kirilenko has always been more effective on the defensive end of the court. But I think his injuries have to be frustrating for the Jazz. Still, they would be NUTS to deal him, he is their franchise and he is still young and supremely talented, especially for someone who weighs what 80 lbs?

No way San Antonio deals Parker for an aging Kidd, that would be the biggest bonehead trade since Miami raped Mitch Upchuck for Shaq. Parker is as solid a point guard as there is, he fits the slow motion offense Popovich loves to run and he is one of the better dribble driving small men playing today, totally unafraid to drive the lane in traffic and preety good passer, lacks Kidds floor vision though. No, San Antonio's woes have nothing to do with Parker, alot to do with Pop.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
Giricek yes, Harpring maybe, Fisher, no, too much experience and locker room stability, besides is he really makiing that much?

Kirilenko has one problem, he is injury prone, and that is bad when you rely on his defensive and rebounding skills. I'd say his smaller role in the offense has really allowed the Jazz to blossom on that end of the court and really use their ball control skills to full effect. Kirilenko has always been more effective on the defensive end of the court. But I think his injuries have to be frustrating for the Jazz. Still, they would be NUTS to deal him, he is their franchise and he is still young and supremely talented, especially for someone who weighs what 80 lbs?

No way San Antonio deals Parker for an aging Kidd, that would be the biggest bonehead trade since Miami raped Mitch Upchuck for Shaq. Parker is as solid a point guard as there is, he fits the slow motion offense Popovich loves to run and he is one of the better dribble driving small men playing today, totally unafraid to drive the lane in traffic and preety good passer, lacks Kidds floor vision though. No, San Antonio's woes have nothing to do with Parker, alot to do with Pop.

Fish is actually making more then you would expect for someone at the end of their career.  I agree he is a good guy and great in the locker room but if you need to move someone for money purposes he would be a good place to start.

The Jazz would be DUMB to move him.  I don't think it will happen ever.  IMO AK will retire as a Jazz player or at least play 90% of his career there.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »
Count me among those who can't see Kidd for Parker at this stage in Kidd's career.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »
The Jazz would be DUMB to move him.  I don't think it will happen ever.  IMO AK will retire as a Jazz player or at least play 90% of his career there.

Don't be so sure.

Andrei Kirilenko has always thought more of his offensive talent than their really was...and three seasons ago he put on a very good couple months stretch of offense.  Right now the identity of the Jazz is Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer with some Mehmet Okur for good measure.  Jerry Sloan will tell you himself he would have no problem at all giving Boozer the ball 30 times a game.  Jerry Sloan will also tell you that Deron is going to be up, down, to the side, and all through the offensive schemes.  When all else fails, "bail us out with a prayer, Memo."  So, as you can see, Kirilenko doesn't see much of the ball on offense and truly its what he enjoys about the game, I think.  Sure he's come to grips with the fact that being a superb defensive player is what helps his team and he takes pride in that title, but from the snippets he's given to the media and his body language he really isn't happy being 4th banana offensively.  

Conversely I can see Kevin O'Connor and Sloan talking themselves into trading AK.  After all you pretty much have the same kind of team you were so successful with during the 90s.  Boozer in the role of Malone, D. Williams in the role of Stockton, Okur plays like Adam Keefe and Antoine Carr (without the defense) rolled into one.  D Fish. is a SG who plays like a point, much like Hornacek.  Then you got some young athletic prospects that might defend the perimeter well (C.J. Miles and Ronnie Brewer) that could fill the Bryon Russell role.  If AK could bring back some cap relief or a really great outside shooter.  I wouldn't put it past Utah's people to do the dumbest thing they could possibly do and get rid of Andrei Kirilenko.  

If Kirilenko leaves, Utah's weakside help virtually disappears completely.  To say nothing of his perimeter defense, active hands, great passing, finishing, and all the other things he brings to a team.  Yep, gotta agree with Ziggy (guess the world is right, again huh Zigs), Utah would be idiotic if they let him go.      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 06:38:32 PM »
The Jazz would be DUMB to move him.  I don't think it will happen ever.  IMO AK will retire as a Jazz player or at least play 90% of his career there.

Don't be so sure.

Andrei Kirilenko has always thought more of his offensive talent than their really was...and three seasons ago he put on a very good couple months stretch of offense.  Right now the identity of the Jazz is Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer with some Mehmet Okur for good measure.  Jerry Sloan will tell you himself he would have no problem at all giving Boozer the ball 30 times a game.  Jerry Sloan will also tell you that Deron is going to be up, down, to the side, and all through the offensive schemes.  When all else fails, "bail us out with a prayer, Memo."  So, as you can see, Kirilenko doesn't see much of the ball on offense and truly its what he enjoys about the game, I think.  Sure he's come to grips with the fact that being a superb defensive player is what helps his team and he takes pride in that title, but from the snippets he's given to the media and his body language he really isn't happy being 4th banana offensively.  

Conversely I can see Kevin O'Connor and Sloan talking themselves into trading AK.  After all you pretty much have the same kind of team you were so successful with during the 90s.  Boozer in the role of Malone, D. Williams in the role of Stockton, Okur plays like Adam Keefe and Antoine Carr (without the defense) rolled into one.  D Fish. is a SG who plays like a point, much like Hornacek.  Then you got some young athletic prospects that might defend the perimeter well (C.J. Miles and Ronnie Brewer) that could fill the Bryon Russell role.  If AK could bring back some cap relief or a really great outside shooter.  I wouldn't put it past Utah's people to do the dumbest thing they could possibly do and get rid of Andrei Kirilenko.  

If Kirilenko leaves, Utah's weakside help virtually disappears completely.  To say nothing of his perimeter defense, active hands, great passing, finishing, and all the other things he brings to a team.  Yep, gotta agree with Ziggy (guess the world is right, again huh Zigs), Utah would be idiotic if they let him go.      

Hmm, I guess that puts things into another perspective for me.  I guess we can diagnose AK with Ron Artest syndrome!  You know where a player is just awesome on defense but feels like their offensive talents are a little higher up then what they really are.  He is not a bad offensive player but he def should not be the #1 or #2 option.  Could you think of any team in this league where he would be the #1 option?  I can barely think of any teams where he would be the #2 option.  As far as I know he has a very limited back to the basket game.

Not only does their weakside help disappear but they do not have a player who can shut down players when put on them.  Having a guy who can be a stopper on just about any player really gives the team's defense that much more strength.  Sometimes I wonder what SA would be like without a Bruce Bowen.  Utah would copy Denver's layup drill defense if he were to get out of the paint also.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 06:58:21 PM »
I'd take Kidd over Bibby in a heartbeat. We can even provide a scrill lady with a cowbell to sit behind him to remind him of his wife. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 10:43:39 AM »
Hmm, I guess that puts things into another perspective for me.  I guess we can diagnose AK with Ron Artest syndrome!  You know where a player is just awesome on defense but feels like their offensive talents are a little higher up then what they really are.  He is not a bad offensive player but he def should not be the #1 or #2 option.  Could you think of any team in this league where he would be the #1 option?  I can barely think of any teams where he would be the #2 option.  As far as I know he has a very limited back to the basket game.

If Andrei Kirilenko truly trancends offensively, he would have an offensive game similar to Shawn Marion at best.  He has NO back to the basket game in any capacity.  He is a gazelle in the open court and given the opportunity will finish strong.  Although he is a deft passer (many of them surprising his own teammates half the time), he is not a great ball handler in traffic.  Just good enough really to get close enough to the basket to attempt a wild shot and hopefully get to the foul line.  He is capable of shooting outside but leaves much to be desired in the efficiency department.  Interestingly enough while one would think he'd be great at moving without the ball, the Jazz offense never really puts him into a situation to do that.  A lot of the time the offense is being ran through him (Deron kicks it to AK on the wing, AK entry passes to Boozer/Okur or finds the likes of Giricek off a screen).  Rarely does he move without the ball with the express intent to score which I personally find a huge waste of his ability to finish.   

Not only does their weakside help disappear but they do not have a player who can shut down players when put on them.  Having a guy who can be a stopper on just about any player really gives the team's defense that much more strength.

Kirilenko has never struck me as an all-out, shut-down, defensive stopper per se, westkoast.  He is very good don't get me wrong, especially his lateral movement at 6'9 with freakishly long arms makes him a pest on the perimeter.  His weak side anticipation, help defense, and interior shot-blocking really is what sets him apart as a great defender, though.  With weak-defending bigs like Boozer/Okur who command a lot of minutes, Kirilenko's ability to play catch-all is invaluable for Utah's defense.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 03:41:09 AM »
Andrei Kirilenko has always thought more of his offensive talent than their really was...and three seasons ago he put on a very good couple months stretch of offense.  

Skandery, this is a very important point...I think that Kirilenko is reminiscent of Reggie Williams (of Georgetown fame).  His penchant for being a shot(not -making) machine is one of the biggest problems the Jazz face on offense.

-Rolando
Shaq #1 forever 
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 10:00:14 AM »
Skandery, this is a very important point...I think that Kirilenko is reminiscent of Reggie Williams (of Georgetown fame).  His penchant for being a shot(not -making) machine is one of the biggest problems the Jazz face on offense.

-Rolando
Shaq #1 forever 

Long time no hear Ro.  AK is a terrific player, a notch below an Elton Brand and Bosh.  AK is not a franchise player in that sense but I consider him almost an equal to those guys in what he brings to the team.  I could easily see AK getting traded for a "need" type of player.  I'm not sure what Utah's needs are but they could really get some great value for AK in a trade.  Unlike some of the trades in the recent past (Shaq, AI and Artest) Utah is not backed into a corner, negotiating from a position of strength could get Utah close to equal value for AK.  Lamar for AK?  Hmmm.....I would not do it cause while the Lakers are in dire need of help on defense they cannot afford to lose Odom's scoring and versatility on offense.  JO is making alot of noise in Indy but he wouldn't mesh with Utah with Boozer and Okur already there.  They need a star 3 or even a 2 to make it work for Utah, Clippers have an extra 2/3 swingman to dangle out there and the Suns and Mavs have tons of talent to throw in the mix.  IMO the Suns would benefit the most from his defense but again there are people at his position who the Suns need more.  That would leave the Mavs and AK would put them over the top just not sure what they could give in return.  Not sure about the teams in the East.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"