Author Topic: Just noticed the old MSNBC boards are back.  (Read 18609 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just noticed the old MSNBC boards are back.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 06:27:38 PM »
I too consider myself a huge taco and burrito connesouir.  IMO, comparing Tito's to Mexican style tacos is like comparing apples to oranges.  They're just not the same.  Tito's is clearly a gringo style taco ... but that doesn't make them any less delicious.  I have to stop rambling about this now b/c my mouth is starting to water!

I guess I have to kick some knowledge to you two coconuts, although you guys are self described reverse coconuts.  There are differences amoung the same foods from Mexico.  Taco's down south are different than the ones from up north.  Southern Mexico does not fry their taco's and their "street tacos" as they're called in these parts, come with onions, cilantro, tomatos, avacado and salsa with a squirt of lemon juice.  You'll find a ton of taco stands in my neighboorhood and they're starting to pop up everywhere, you might catch one at Staples center next to those bacon/hotdog stands.  Northern Mexico does deep fry their taco's ala Tito's and they only put onions, cilantro and salsa on their taco's.  There are no burrito's in Mexico.  Best burrito anywhere is on 20th street and Western, one block north of the 10 fwy, it's called Cabelita's but it's hit and miss with their food, most of the times it's great but every now and then you get some old tomatos or guac that gives it a sour taste.  Best taco's anywhere is a placed called Taurino's on Hoover or Union and Olympic but I've heard they're not what they used to be, they are a northern style taco shop but they don't deep fry.

Please don't even try to compare your knowledge of Mexican food to mine, you're at a severe and insurmountable disadvantage.  Once place that is very authentic, acording to my parents, is a place called El Cholo.  I've been there a few times but mostly to drink.  It's on Western between Pico and Olympic, walking distance from my parents house, I think there is more than one restaurant from the same owner but the one on Western is the OG.  OG is GANGSTA TALK!!!<---Howard Stern reference.

^^^^Haha!  WOW, sorry, I would never compare your knowlegde of Mexican food to mine.  That being said, I think we're both native Californians, and I'm sure we all have our favs.  I went to HS blocks from the original El Cholo.  Me gusta, but not nearly my fav, although the original one on Western is light years better than the Santa Monica one and the Pasadena one is borderline horrible, IMO.  The westside has a few great places too, my favorite being Gilberts on Pico and 28th in SM.  Gilbert's blows doors on El Cholo on its worst day.  I grew up in the San Gabriel area when it was still all Mexican (now it's primarily Asian ... good dim sum!) and there were a few taco trucks that were to die for.  You have to be careful with some of those, they can be hit or miss .. but when they hit, they can be some of the best tacos you'll ever taste.   

I've travelled all over Mexico from the northern parts (TJ, Rosarito, Ensenada) to Puerto Vallarta and Alcapulco and once all the way down to the great state of Oaxaca (Puerto Escondido and Huatulco).  So I'm definitely familiar with the fact that there are different cuisines in different regions, kind of like everywhere else in the world.  I've never been to the eastern side, but I'm going to Cozumel this summer for a wedding.  My friend from college is marrying a native guy who's parents own the best (supposedly) taqueria on the island, so I'll let you know how that turns out   ;)

My point stands, IMO, Tito's Tacos are damn good.  I dont' give a rats if you call them northern Mexican, or gringo, or Ameri-Mex, or Cali mex.  Who cares?  They're delicious. 

Lurker, Tex Mex, please!  Fajitas?!?  That's what you're hanging your States Mexican food hat on.  I've been to Austin, Dallas and SA and been hard pressed to find good Mexican food.  Perhaps you can enlighten me, so the next time I'm out I can sample something decent.  Now, when it comes to BBQ and brisket in Texas ... sign me up!  Clearly that's your States culinary strength.  That and Shiner Bock  :D 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 07:23:43 PM »
Gee...all you Californians arguing about Mexican food.  Which, in America, does not resemble anything remotely close to the cuisine you actually find in Mexico.  Then there is the difference between western Mexico and eastern Mexico...not too mention the north vs south differences alluded to by WOW.

Now if you want to discuss Americanized Mexican food then it really boils down to two styles: MexiCali and TexMex.  Obviously each derives its name from the great state that gave rise to the style.  And even then you can find differences within the states.  For example - TexMex in San Antonio is different than TexMex in Dallas.  What is really funny (except to the taste buds) is to go to a "Mexican" restaurant in the midwest.

JoMal does not DO Mexi-fusion, period.

JoMal's recipes favor the gentile textures of the State of Guadalajara, having learned them from a resident of that city who ran a restaurant and brought his knowledge to ... well .... where JoMal was at the time and taught JoMal his secrets.

Many have tried to pry this knowledge from JoMal's lips, using sexual ingenuity, liquor, promises of wealth, and in one case a really cool lounge chair, but none succeeded.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 07:38:37 PM »
Gee...all you Californians arguing about Mexican food.  Which, in America, does not resemble anything remotely close to the cuisine you actually find in Mexico.  Then there is the difference between western Mexico and eastern Mexico...not too mention the north vs south differences alluded to by WOW.

Now if you want to discuss Americanized Mexican food then it really boils down to two styles: MexiCali and TexMex.  Obviously each derives its name from the great state that gave rise to the style.  And even then you can find differences within the states.  For example - TexMex in San Antonio is different than TexMex in Dallas.  What is really funny (except to the taste buds) is to go to a "Mexican" restaurant in the midwest.

We are arguing over our favorite americanized spots that pretend not be Del Taco/Taco Bell-ish as much in California.  You guys swear as if we didn't know that is wasn't authentic and not catering to Americans.  Gimmie a break!  Being that I have mexican blood I've had authetic food made from relatives who came from there.  My GF's family is all from El Salvador and only the children in the family actually were born here (speaking of which their tamales are very good and moist since they use bannana leaves instead of corn husks)

Speaking of TexMex, it does taste different in Dallas then it does in Austin.  Same with BBQ.  Although I have to say beef in Texas is by far better then anywhere else i've been.  Of course when you start with good meat, your meals taste better.

But Lurker, JoMaL...uhh you guys do realize that I am about an hour from the border and use to go down to Mexico all the time.  Not so much now due to work and the fact i've been able to drink legally in this country for a while now but I still try to get down there as much as possible.  Usually when I am working out of our San Diego office.

I love tacos so much that I will gamble with my life and get them in Tijuana!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:02:00 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 08:53:16 PM »

JoMal has been to Tijuana, eaten their tacos - - and survived!!! They were good, I suppose.....

But JoMal still claims to make the best!!!
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello, all
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 02:42:38 AM »
Hey, y'all - I am still alive!!! LOL

I just had Tito's Tacos today - the favorite lonche of the workers at my laundry service (10575 W. Pico) - great!  BTW, to the un-initiated Tito's Tacos are like beer - when first experienced, no big deal.  But with time, becomes a staple of life itself...LOL

Actually, these last two years have been quite interesting - for all of you lacking teen-age progeny, I give my heart-felt condolences in advance.  However, I did make sure that my son gained admittance to and is attending a major university - USC (although to a UCLA grad it still sends shudders of revulsion)! I am still recovering from the intensity of this effort - Iraq-type metaphors come to mind, but since this is not a politricks forum, neither here nor there. Do not laugh that I said USC is a 'major' university academically, BTW - believe it or not, USC is no longer the frat-boy diploma factory it used to be for the elites of So. Calif., as it was when I was at UCLA in the '70s.  It is quite highly regarded nationally in many fields...however, I still took great pleasure in the 'gutty little Bruins' ruining USC's National Championship aspirations in football!

Anyway, on to the round-ball...

I must confess that since the departure of 'The Big Historical', my interest in the LAL has waned a substantial amount.  When I ask myself why this is, I admit that it is my disdain for 'Kobme' (who used to call him that?) that is the primary factor.  I guess I blame him for Shaq leaving here - is this fair?  It doesn't matter...the thrill is gone, as B.B. King says.  I feel about the Lakers the way I felt when the Rams split for StL - there's an empty feeling since Shaq left that no amount of reflection or remembrance can abate.  I still get a smile on my mug when I look at the 'Lakers - 2002 Championship 3-peat' sticker on my vehicle, though...I guess the tank of Laker good-will is not totally empty!

All you Spurs fans will be surprised and pleased to hear that basically I root for the Spurs now...TD has assumed the mantle of 'Unstoppable Juggernaut', IMHO.  When the Mavs kick the Spurs' boots, I feel the pain...LOL

I love those D-Wade - Gnarls commercials, BTW.

Hey jn, dabods, JoMal, Reality (I am still juicing), Joe V, westkoast, WoW, Ricko and everyone else - it feels good to type out those handles!

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:42:58 AM by Rolando Blackman »
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 04:33:31 AM »

JoMal does not DO Mexi-fusion, period.

JoMal's recipes favor the gentile textures of the State of Guadalajara, having learned them from a resident of that city who ran a restaurant and brought his knowledge to ... well .... where JoMal was at the time and taught JoMal his secrets.

Many have tried to pry this knowledge from JoMal's lips, using sexual ingenuity, liquor, promises of wealth, and in one case a really cool lounge chair, but none succeeded.

Correction - in 'Reality' (LOL), the city of Guadalajara is in the state of Jalisco in Mexico...as a fan of Chivas (Guadalajara), I know this to be the case.  It's amazing how one's horizons are expanded by the wide variety of life experiences!

P.S. - Omar Bravo #1 en futbol Mexicano.

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:37:18 AM by Rolando Blackman »
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 10:13:34 AM »
I've travelled all over Mexico from the northern parts (TJ, Rosarito, Ensenada) to Puerto Vallarta and Alcapulco and once all the way down to the great state of Oaxaca (Puerto Escondido and Huatulco).

Well there's the problem right there, all those places are geared to tourists with the exception of Oaxaca (unless you goto Huatulco).  Oaxaca is my state of origin, actually my parents, I made it across the border before I was born.  What you call northern Mexico is actually southern US.  Puerto Escondido is our preferred beach destination, my dad has a house there and the best thing about that place is it's very authentic.  Oaxaca is one of the more expensive places to live because the only industry there is tourism but the big difference is the locals deal authentic slang towards tourists, one of the reason there are very few Americans there.  Everything from textiles to food is authentic, even in the main plaza area, unlike the places you mentioned you CANNOT avoid mingling with the locals in everything you do in Oaxaca, that is unless you have a "gofer" running all your errands.  The problem with American tourists is they want to take America with them and enjoy it in foreing countries.  Oxaca is not about comfort and luxury, it's about the culture, unfortunately is starting to bend toward the Americanizing as Huatulco has shown.

I've been all over Mexico, funny thing is it was because of work and WHITE friends, otherwise I'd only have experience TJ and Oaxaca.  Nothing beats an Al Pastor taco or a Carne Asada burrito, best taco I ever had was in TJ, best burrito is just down the street at Chabelita's.  In other words "fugg Tito's" you little biznatches!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 10:57:34 AM »

Correction - in 'Reality' (LOL), the city of Guadalajara is in the state of Jalisco in Mexico...as a fan of Chivas (Guadalajara), I know this to be the case.  It's amazing how one's horizons are expanded by the wide variety of life experiences!

P.S. - Omar Bravo #1 en futbol Mexicano.

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever

Guadalajara was a little intimidating for me on my own, no relatives there like in Mexico city.  I did venture out a little and was very surprised at some of the small town characteristics.  My biggest surprise is I went to a few lunch spots with HEAVY traffic and I ordered, ate and then paid.  PLUS, they would ask what I ate and how much of it I ate, that was amazing to me in such a big city.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello, all
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 11:06:08 AM »
Hey, y'all - I am still alive!!! LOL

I just had Tito's Tacos today - the favorite lonche of the workers at my laundry service (10575 W. Pico) - great!  BTW, to the un-initiated Tito's Tacos are like beer - when first experienced, no big deal.  But with time, becomes a staple of life itself...LOL

Actually, these last two years have been quite interesting - for all of you lacking teen-age progeny, I give my heart-felt condolences in advance.  However, I did make sure that my son gained admittance to and is attending a major university - USC (although to a UCLA grad it still sends shudders of revulsion)! I am still recovering from the intensity of this effort - Iraq-type metaphors come to mind, but since this is not a politricks forum, neither here nor there. Do not laugh that I said USC is a 'major' university academically, BTW - believe it or not, USC is no longer the frat-boy diploma factory it used to be for the elites of So. Calif., as it was when I was at UCLA in the '70s.  It is quite highly regarded nationally in many fields...however, I still took great pleasure in the 'gutty little Bruins' ruining USC's National Championship aspirations in football!

Anyway, on to the round-ball...

I must confess that since the departure of 'The Big Historical', my interest in the LAL has waned a substantial amount.  When I ask myself why this is, I admit that it is my disdain for 'Kobme' (who used to call him that?) that is the primary factor.  I guess I blame him for Shaq leaving here - is this fair?  It doesn't matter...the thrill is gone, as B.B. King says.  I feel about the Lakers the way I felt when the Rams split for StL - there's an empty feeling since Shaq left that no amount of reflection or remembrance can abate.  I still get a smile on my mug when I look at the 'Lakers - 2002 Championship 3-peat' sticker on my vehicle, though...I guess the tank of Laker good-will is not totally empty!

All you Spurs fans will be surprised and pleased to hear that basically I root for the Spurs now...TD has assumed the mantle of 'Unstoppable Juggernaut', IMHO.  When the Mavs kick the Spurs' boots, I feel the pain...LOL

I love those D-Wade - Gnarls commercials, BTW.

Hey jn, dabods, JoMal, Reality (I am still juicing), Joe V, westkoast, WoW, Ricko and everyone else - it feels good to type out those handles!

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever

First of all HELLO!  I am glad to see the Tito's supporters outnumbering the one non-Tito's supporter.  I change my original statement of just WOW and I knuckling up.  I suggest we jump him at Tito's Tacos!!

I dunno Ro, USC is still somewhat like the rich elite frat boy club house you seem to be describing when you went to UCLA.  Maybe not quite as bad but being it is USC and the alums are just the guys you were speaking of, it is still kind of there.  I've know a few people who went there, including Matt Leinart, and it seems to remind me of Preppy U at times.

But!  I have officially torn down all my Rolando Blackman posters on the wall after you said you don't like the Lakers anymore but root for the Spurs@$!#)*  Ahhh, wait a strike to all us Laker fans chests on this board!  I understand you like to watch the big men operate and currently, Duncan has been that guy for the last few seasons.  The Spurs are a great team and very fun to watch so I guess it is okay.  At least you are not a Kings fan!!!!  You are missing some very good basketball from the Lakers (save last nights blow out).  Did you get to catch the Lakers/Spurs game a few nights ago?  These young guys are really playing some good ball this season and that is without two key starters.

I would really like to travel to Mexico City.   Just to take it in and see what it is like.  I've heard it is really bad there.  What is it really like though?   Although it seems like the uppity people in Southern California say that about everywhere in Mexico that isnt Cabo.  People made Tijuana sound like as soon as you step foot into it, no matter what time it is, you are going to get shot and/or have money stolen by the police.  I understand it is a very shady area (boy do I have a story about what someone showed me regarding a backstreet right off revolution) but during the day it is nowhere near what anyone described prior to myself actually going down there.  The prices there now though have really shot up for those who havent been down there in a while. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 11:09:34 AM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »
Fajitas are TexMex only outside of San Antonio.  In SA tacos and enchiladas are king.  And I don't mean the fast food mass marketed type.  Carne guisada, carne asada, picadillo, chorizo, papas rancheros...all found in little mom & pop locations usually on still warm, fresh-made tortillas.  There are even a couple great spots for puffy tacos which does seem to be a SA specialty.

Washed down with Shiner, Dos Equis Amber or Fat Tire....except maybe for breakfast.    ;D

As far as trips to Mexico my wife & I always find time to get "off the beaten track" and find more local tastes.  We have done this in Puerta Vallarta, Cabos, Cancun/Cozumel as well as many times in the border communities.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 11:21:46 AM »

JoMal has been to Tijuana, eaten their tacos - - and survived!!! They were good, I suppose.....

They are good at certain spots, not so good at others, but it always makes you wonder where the meat is coming from when it is late at night and you are leaving a dance club.

Is your recipe super secret?  I am curious on to what you put into these tacos that make you feel you are the king.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello, all
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 12:01:02 PM »
- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever

Aww now that warms my heart.  Good to see you back.  Still growing your own, I dont even need to ask that.  Any soil and growing adjustments in the last two years?

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
My son is a total wheatgrasser
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 12:23:57 PM »
Hey Reality!

Actually, it is my son who has become the most fanatic juicer.  He was the captain of the swim team at Chatsworth High School here in L.A. - as a result, he became interested in keeping fit and healthy.  He took charge of the wheatgrass operation at my house, and kept at it until he left for college in August.  I don't know exactly what he was doing, but I do know he and a couple of his friends were really into the whole cultivation thing.

I have to give my wife credit for keeping me on the straight-and-narrow way as far as juicing is concerned - although resistant at first, she has now embraced the juicing program 100%.  As I am sure you know, it takes a lot of time and effort to go whole hog on the juicing path - she has done that, and dragged me along with her.

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 12:24:54 PM »

They are good at certain spots, not so good at others, but it always makes you wonder where the meat is coming from when it is late at night and you are leaving a dance club.

Is your recipe super secret?  I am curious on to what you put into these tacos that make you feel you are the king.

First off, hello to Rolando and welcome back, hopefully for a longer visit this time, and congratulations on getting your son into USC. Nothing like a university edgekation, as I well know (class of --<blub,blub,blub> -- out of UC-Davis). But even I am disappointed that your loyalties to the Lakers ended with the departure of Shaquille O'Neal. For shame. How would it look if I ended my affiliation with the Kings after <pick 'em> Adelman, Vlade, Webber, Peja left the team? Sure, the Kings are down now, but that just means the tickets are easier to get, though many fans are turned off by the huge hike in prices. (That's for another thread).

Now back to the good stuff. I am going to have lunch today in downtown SacTown at a place out on K Street, midtown called Tres Hermanas. I think that means "three honeys". (Before anyone responds, I know what it really translates to.) Since my friend Mundo left and closed his restaurant (my recipe guy), this place has proven to be the best in town to eat good, authentic Mexican food. Ceviche, carne asada, and one of the best mole's I have had this side of the border. Anyway, all that talk about good Mexican food got me thinking about it and even though it ain't close to work, I am going there today.

As for my secret taco recipe that I claim are so good - - well  - - what can I say. All they are, and yes I got this from my friend, who should know, is a mixture of lean ground beef and chorizo sausage. That's it, browned in the same frying pan. I love carne asada tacos as well, but that is just fried up pepper steaks that you slice up after cooking. Pretty simple to do. As for toppings, my personal faves are pico de gallo with onion, tomatoes, chiles, and cilantro.

To me, the best shells are soft corn, fried one minute on each side, add the cheeses in the pan to melt, fill them with the meat and fold them over.

Now, if you want the chili verde recipe, THAT one will cost you. Too many secrets to just give it away, but I can honestly say the only chile verde dish worth a darn that I ever had out in a restaurant that came close to the one I make was at a Mexican cantina called Molly's across from the Libby cannery where I worked summers years ago. I was friends with many of the Mexican workers there and they would bring me along to play pool at Molly's at lunch time. Good thing too, as this place was working class tough. But they turned me on to her chili verde and I quickly got addicted to it, though it was so spicy hot I would flare up red as a beet, to the great amusement of my Mexican amigos. I never could find anything like it elsewhere until Mundo showed up and opened his Pancho Villa restaurant near my home.

Somehow I convinced Mundo to share how he made it. Simple, but the best recipes often are. He moved down to the San Diego area years ago and I lost touch with him. He always came to my house with a friend who would translate what he said for me, as his English was only so-so, but he showed me allot about his style of cooking, which was from Guadalajara. He also provided his Ceviche recipe. For those who don't know what that is, it is marinated fish/shrimp in lime juice, with onion, tomatoes, chilies, cilantro, and "hot juice", which is the real trick because the right "hot juice" makes a big difference in the quality.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 12:27:39 PM by JoMal »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 12:40:48 PM »
Rolando, welcome back!  But please say it ain't so!  C'mon man, you know the Lakers are bigger than just one player, whether it be Kobe or Shaq.  I know Shaq was your main man, but weren't you a fan during the 80's glory days too? 

Oh well, to each their own .... at least you like Tito's  ;D

Personally, I've enjoyed watching this current Laker squad and this season the most since probably the first of 3 runs in 2000.  These guys are young and have a great rapport.  They pass and run the triangle the best I've seen since Phil first came to LA. 

I'm sure I can't change your mind, perhaps we've lost you to the dark side for good  ;)  It's still good to see you back, hopefully you can stick around. 

Peace, 

msc