Author Topic: Who would you replace Marty Stottenheimer with?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Who would you replace Marty Stottenheimer with?
« on: January 15, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »
Chris Petersen: Boise State head coach
Cam Cameron current O coordinator Chargers.  (Then make Petersen O coor if he would take it)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who would you replace Marty Stottenheimer with?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 06:44:57 PM »
Skandery,

As regards my football watching pleasure, just shoot me.  Today please.
Not only did they sign Shottenheimer for 2007, they offered him an extension for 2008.
Shot turned them down for '08.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:39:40 PM »
Bill Belichick, Charlie Weis, otherwise forget it. 
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:52:28 PM »

Common sense is so refreshing. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:31:44 PM »
  Common sense is so refreshing. 
Absolutely.
Watching Terminator 14 should be very refreshing.
http://sports.espn.go.com:80/espn/page2/story?page=snibbe/nfl/070115

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:03:47 PM »
Dude, Schottemheimer is a great coach with a proven track record.  Granted, his playoff record sucks, but he always gets his team to the playoffs.  What more can you ask for from your head coach?  Put your team in a position to win.  He does that and has done it everywhere he's gone.  His players love him and that's a good sign as well. 

You want to bring in some guy who had one dream season running trick plays for a team that plays in the frickin' WAC??!?!  Are you serious?  Schottemheimer is like the 5th winningest coach in NFL history, you don't win 200 games at that level if you're a bad coach. 

PS - Popovich is a good coach too! 

PPS - You should change your name from Reality to MondayMorningQB. 

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »
Thanks msc.  Marty has his flaws, no doubt of that.  However much of what is held against him is plain BS.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:43:10 PM »
Reality, why do you place everything on the coach if a team loses?  How were some of those BONEHEAD plays his fault?  He did not call them.  That was a decision made by a grown man.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 01:48:44 PM »
Dude, Schottemheimer is a great coach with a proven track record.  Granted, his playoff record sucks, but he always gets his team to the playoffs.   Put your team in a position to win.  He does that and has done it everywhere he's gone.  His players love him and that's a good sign as well. 

You want to bring in some guy who had one dream season running trick plays for a team that plays in the frickin' WAC??!?!  Are you serious? 
PS - Popovich is a good coach too! 

PPS - You should change your name from Reality to MondayMorningQB. 
Ah, so you do plan on viewing Terminated 14.  Excellent.

What more can you ask for from your head coach?  
 To win in the playoffs.  To take a team with Superbowl talent to the Superbowl.
Schottemheimer is like the 5th winningest coach in NFL history, you don't win 200 games at that level if you're a bad coach.  
 He is also the coach with the most overall wins to have never gone to a Superbowl.  He is a good regular season coach, yes.  He has also put his team in a position to lose in the playoffs numerous times.  Not all the players love him, but I will grant you there was not a majority asking for a new coach, and GM AJ Smith did poll them all yesterday.

The Boise State Peterson i would make O coordinator in a heartbeat.  Not head coach.

My name is already SatardayNightQB because so many of us have predicted Marty well before it happened.
BamboozeldByMediocrity is not a name i wish to have.

PS Del Harris was a good coach too!
PPS - Phil Jackson is a good coach.  Maybe you wish the Lakers would have stuck with Del?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
Reality, why do you place everything on the coach if a team loses?  How were some of those BONEHEAD plays his fault?  He did not call them.  That was a decision made by a grown man.
See Skander and my posts elsewhere.  We've validated it to the tenth power.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »
Successful precident:
Tampa Bay 2003 SuperBowl Champs 48-21 over the Raiders in Jon Grudens 1st year.

According to you Pro-Martys, you can't hire Jon Gruden for the Champ and blow out Tony Dungy (the 2002 Tampa Bay coach) because Dungy is a good coach and the players like him.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
msc:
Dude, Schottemheimer is a great coach with a proven track record.

jn:
Thanks msc.  Marty has his flaws, no doubt of that.  However much of what is held against him is plain BS.

I have to disagree with you guys on this one.  First I'm not calling Marty a BAD coach.  In fact for some teams, I think he's exactly the coach they need -- Dolphins and Raiders come to mind.  He's great at bringing a team to respectability but he's not going to be the coach to take you to the promised land -- no way, no how.  I say that because he's never done so in his career.  This is isn't the first time he's fallen short with Superbowl talent.  Three times before he's had the #1 seed in the Conference, 2 of those 3 times he didn't even make it to the Conference Finals.  San Diego is just the wrong team for him.  San Diego has the talent, personnel, and organization to win the Superbowl right now and I think they needed to replace Marty with a proven winner before they squander the best years of LT, Merriman, Gates, Rivers, Williams, Neal (which might be to late), etc., etc. 

Which is why I think they're idiotic for not only bringing him back but trying to extend him.  Now then if they're biding their time waiting for the likes of Bill Cowher to get his 1-2 year hiatus with his family, alright; hopefully alot of those players keep playing at the current level.  If they plan on staying with Marty, they'll continue to be sorely disappointed and eventually come to the same conclusion, Cleveland, Kansas City, and Washington had to arrive at.     
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 05:36:25 PM »
Who would yo replace Marty Stottenheimer with?

A used rubber hooked onto the end of toilet brush.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 06:56:10 PM »
Reality & Skander, I've read all of your anti-Marty posts, I just see things a bit differently.  Skander, I can dig your explanation that he's maybe a better coach for another team, but still disagree that he's not good for SD. 

The way I see it, so many things have to line up to win the SuperBowl, or a Championship of any kind for that matter.  You have to have a good coach, good ownership, good chemistry amoung your players including a few stars and some solid role players.  On top of all of that you have to avoid injuries, mental mistakes and you even need a little luck.  Yes, the ball has to bounce your way a couple of times b/c even the best teams are going to have some off nights. 

I see Schottenheimer as a good coach because he's gotten his teams to the playoffs time and time again.  His record is not good in the playoffs ... okay, but the guy has given all of his teams a chance to succeed each and every year, and IMO that is what you want from a coach.  In last weeks game, he put the Chargers in a perfect position to win the game easily.  Unfortunately, several of his players decided to keep giving Tom Brady second chances. Heck, New England didn't play that well, but if you're going to keep giving Brady 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances, he's eventually going to burn you and he did.  Not Schottenheimers fault, IMO. 

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »
Dolphins offered Cam Cameron the vacant Head Coaching position.

I get why they brought back Marty, now, A.J. Smith didn't want to get into a bidding war with Huizenga (the lunatic).
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."