Author Topic: Looks like Webber is going to the Pistons  (Read 1606 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Looks like Webber is going to the Pistons
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »
Pistons win sweepstakes, will sign Webber Tuesday

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Chris Webber is headed to Motown.

Webber told ESPN.com that he has chosen to sign with the Detroit Pistons and is flying home Monday to spend Martin Luther King Day with family members.

He can officially sign with the Pistons on Tuesday after clearing waivers.

Webber has been at the center of speculation since being waived by the Philadelphia 76ers on Thursday, with the Lakers, Pistons, Heat, and Mavericks listed among the top candidates for Webber's new home.

"There has been nothing that has turned him against Detroit," Webber's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said in the Detroit News prior to Webber's decision. "Detroit has been professional and aggressive in their pursuit. They have let Chris know how badly they want him, and that's been from Joe (Dumars) to Flip (Saunders) and down to the players.

"Nothing has turned negative against Detroit, other than other Eastern Conference teams not wanting him to go to Detroit," Goodwin said in the News.

The Pistons are 21-14 and in second place in the Central Division.

Webber talked with the Lakers on Saturday.

"It was a good conversation both ways," said Lakers coach Phil Jackson, quoted in the Los Angeles Times on Monday. "He's got a decision to make. He didn't give me any indication. I just told him that he could help us ... He wants significant minutes. I said, 'I don't know what that converts to, but you can have an influence on the team.' That's all any player can really want."
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looks like Webber is going to the Pistons
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:24:16 PM »
Hmmm

Isn't this announcement coming off the heels of ESPN reporting that the Pistons are having chemistry problems?

Honestly, is Chris Weber the kind of guy you bring in, in that situation?  I am not saying he is a cancer but he is a player who has caused his own set of issues on other teams.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
How will Webber and Rasheed co-exist?  It looks to be a 3 horse race in the East between NJ, Miami and the Pistons.  The first two horses look lame, Pistons shoud win the East by default.  Webber can ride coat tails to the finals and who knows what could happen.  Could be an excellent move on his part but the West tean SHOULD win in a walk, but you never know.

Edit: totally overlooking the Bulls....hmmmm......
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 04:38:22 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:07:06 PM »
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

"It was a good conversation both ways," said Lakers coach Phil Jackson, quoted in the Los Angeles Times on Monday. "He's got a decision to make. He didn't give me any indication. I just told him that he could help us ... He wants significant minutes. I said, 'I don't know what that converts to, but you can have an influence on the team.' That's all any player can really want."

How was Phil going to hide Webbers defense?
How could Webber have helped the Lakers?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »
It's a joke.  Webber is done.  Anyone who signs him will find out quick that he can't play as a starter, and will be unhappy as a backup.

Even last year when he was averaging 20 and 10 he was a liability on defense and with rebounding.  He doesn't block out and he won't beat anyone to a spot.

What does anyone need with a old point forward that can't dribble and has no post moves anymore?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The only thing I can think that he could help is passing.....but how much more passing do you need with Luke, Lamar, and Kobe on the floor together?  They are already one of the best passing teams in the league so....

Do we need a big guy who can clank jumpers?  We have V-Rad for that.

I ditto what Rick is saying.  He can't play as a starter and won't be happy off the bench.  It is one and done with him after this expirement blows up in the Pistons face.

How was Phil going to hide Webbers defense?
How could Webber have helped the Lakers?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:05:37 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:41:14 PM »
I breathed a huge sigh of relief this a.m. when I read that article.  All the radio bs hype here in LA were making it sound like the Lakers were very interested.  It sounds like it came down to playing time and Phil wouldn't commit to the amount of time he'd get, but just say the he could "contribute". 

Although it would have been intriguing to see how Webbers passing skills would look in the Triangle, he has become a defensive liability.  That combined with him potentially disrupting the positive chemistry on this young team were the main reasons I didn't want him on the Lakers. 

I'm not sure how he can help the Pistons at this point in his career, I guess they'll play him at center along side Rasheed?  Or will they move Sheed to center and Chris to the 4?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
Edit: totally overlooking the Bulls....hmmmm......

...and the Cavs, and the Wizards, and the Magic.

It looks to be a 3 horse race in the East between NJ, Miami and the Pistons.

NJ is the 8th seed and hasn't been able to beat the lowly Raptors out of the pathetic Atlantic Division lead to this point...and Miami is out of the playoff picture thus far (I know, I know, Shaq's comin' back). 

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
As far as the Eastern teams go, hoping the Cavs win it all over there. None of the other teams spark much interest, but Cleveland and LeBron? Just hoping they stay up there. 

I heard that Detroit is promising Chris a starting spot on the Pistons. That, and playing at home, will spark something in Webber, at least in the short term. But can his new teammates overcome his lack of defense? I doubt it.

He and Rasheed have always had a kind of mutual respect for one another, and Wallace has already fallen out of favor there, so Webber coming in as a starter won't change much regarding Rasheed.

At this point in his career, what Webber has going for him is his passing skills and those great hands. It should translate into some nice offense, but where do you hide him on defense?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 03:25:27 PM »
For what it's worth, Legler was mentioning that Webber and Sheed got along well in Washington.  Of course that was 10 years and 20 technical fouls ago.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes