Author Topic: Lakers. Beat Dallas then get worked twice.  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers. Beat Dallas then get worked twice.
« on: January 11, 2007, 01:14:17 PM »
Beat Dallas at Dallas by working them in the 4th qtr by 10.
46 point third qtr to lose to Memphis.
Then last night Houston looked like Jeff Van Gundy was abducted by aliens and the Rockets offense was unleashed.  Those were some nice moves and shots on O.  Deke Tumble at 42 still in the top 10 Center defenders.  Might not get a title but looking like Bob Parish on the Bulls.

Phil said the Lakers are amoung the youngest if not the youngest team in the league, so this will happen.
Not dissapointed with who they lost to, but disappointed in the effort.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers. Beat Dallas then get worked twice.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 02:35:14 PM »
The reason the Houston offense went off is because of a lack of Laker defense.  They were running the same plays and the same sets they always do.

The effort sucked plain and simple.  You can't expect to win every game but at least try.  Mychael Thompson brought up a good point that players in all sports nowadays seem to play when they feel like it.  As opposed to his time when players always played hard even if they didn't feel like it.

He also went into depth about how Magic and the rest of the team would eat you alive in the locker room if you didn't give 110%.  Now you cannot do that without the media blowing it out of proportion and creating chemistry problems by the way they spin things.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »
Yes, two embarrassing losses on the road.  It's one thing to lose, but to play decent first halves and then lay down in the 3rd qtr. is just embarrassing.  More evidence that this team has a long way to go before they can be considered anywhere near the elite of the NBA.  Something I think all of us here have been saying all along. 

And Reality, your thread starting re: the Lakers is as predictable as the sun rising in the East.  I didn't even have to check the site to know you'd started a thread to gloat over two bad losses after 4 wins in a row had generated a positive Laker thread.  You clearly have the biggest obsession with the Lakers of anyone on this board. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 03:30:01 PM »
Yes, two embarrassing losses on the road.  It's one thing to lose, but to play decent first halves and then lay down in the 3rd qtr. is just embarrassing.  More evidence that this team has a long way to go before they can be considered anywhere near the elite of the NBA.  Something I think all of us here have been saying all along. 

And Reality, your thread starting re: the Lakers is as predictable as the sun rising in the East.  I didn't even have to check the site to know you'd started a thread to gloat over two bad losses after 4 wins in a row had generated a positive Laker thread.  You clearly have the biggest obsession with the Lakers of anyone on this board. 

No gloat whatsoever.  Have already posted Phil is doing outstanding coaching job, best of career.
You are Vic n Michael combined.  Overly defensive.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 04:47:54 PM »

msc...this was my point in the other thread about why I didn't think LA & SA would be competing for the 4th seed in the west.  LA still needs to learn how to compete for 48 minutes on the road.  And starting the playoffs on the road could spell a one & done for them this year. 

Although I think they could possibly upset the Suns because of the style that Phoenix plays.  Utah also has one of the better home records and should come out on top due to homecourt advantage.  But the Mavs & Spurs IMO would take the Lakers out in 5 games...allowing for a Lakers win at Staples.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »
^^Not defensive at all, I think it's funny that you are so obsessed.

I can't stand homers regardless of the market.  LA used to not have a lot of homer-types back in the good old days with Chick.  But with the emergence of sports talk radio 24/7, every market is now stocked with tools like Vic and Mychael.  Personally, I can't stand them so I don't listen.  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:50:56 PM »

msc...this was my point in the other thread about why I didn't think LA & SA would be competing for the 4th seed in the west.  LA still needs to learn how to compete for 48 minutes on the road.  And starting the playoffs on the road could spell a one & done for them this year. 

Although I think they could possibly upset the Suns because of the style that Phoenix plays.  Utah also has one of the better home records and should come out on top due to homecourt advantage.  But the Mavs & Spurs IMO would take the Lakers out in 5 games...allowing for a Lakers win at Staples.

I agree. 

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:07:40 PM »
I think I agree to a point, the Lakaers are playing without 2 starter right now and that cannot be discounted and yet they are still just below .500 (5-6) since Odom went down and 2-3 before that. Those may not be great numbers but for a young team I can live with it for now. It continues after Lamar returns or even after the break where they don't find a rythm on the road well then yes, your assessment is spot on. And I also agree, if there is 1 team that I think can give the Suns fits, it is LA, I also think Utah can give SA fits because they play such similar ball control styles.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »

I agree with Lurker.  Regardless of Lamar and Kwame being out, the effort put forth should not be effected.  If they don't win the game because they got pounded on the glass but put for alot of effort, then ya you could point to Lamar/Kwame being out.  The thing is that they have not learned how to battle back on the road when they don't have a crowd giving them a boost.  Perfect example is Sunday vs DAL.  I was at the game and the crowd really pushed for them in the 4th which seemed to boost their intensity.  When they are on the road and the crowd is cheering against them they have not responded all that well in a number of those games.  Miami  Xmas day and the last two games come to mind as examples of that.

I think the Lakers could give Utah, Dal, PHX fits in the first round.  I think they match up very well with Dallas, better then alot of the teams in this league. 

They started on the road last year in the playoffs, where they were much worse on the road and at home, and faired pretty well.  So I don't know if back to back losses on the road at the first half of the season automatically means 5 and out.  They are actually 3-2 on back to backs and have no had more then 2 losses in a row more then a few times.   Like LF said, if this continues once Lamar comes back and into the 2nd half of the season then you will be 100% dead on.

The Lakers can compete but like most of us said are not an elite team.  They still have the problem they had even when Shaq was on this squad...they often play down to the level of teams they should beat.  See the difference between the elite teams and the good teams is brushing off teams not on their level.  The Hawks, Grizz, Knicks of the league.  EVERYONE is gunning for the Lakers.  Much like everyone is gunning to beat the Spurs, Mavs, Suns, etc.  Everyone wants to beat a popular team or an elite team.  The Lakers have to learn how to play like they have against Dal, SA, Phx at home against teams that are at the bottom of the pack on the road. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 05:42:12 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 05:37:36 PM »
Utah may give lots of teams fits, but not San An.  San An has had our number for quite some time.

I think that the ball-control style we play - when we play it - is actually what allows San An's defense to zero in on us.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25:37 PM »
OOOOOH :o

Another Laker related thread. And my sphincter still is yet to heal from the last time.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."