Author Topic: How come no one has noticed....  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
How come no one has noticed....
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:24:49 PM »
The Lakers are 9-5 since Odom went down, and even more significantly, they are 5-3 against teams over .500, including a huge win last night against the hottest team in the NBA, and yet, the silence from certain quarters of this board is quite deafening, (and extremely refreshing).

I think all the naysayers and haters have to admit, this is a talented young team with massive potential, I would have been thrilled if they held serve and played .500 ball until Lamar gets back but barring some major meltdown, they may well stay at a .675 clip 'til he does.

Am I saying they are title contenders? Not at all, but second round at least at this point if they continue to play at this level. Next year they could make some real noise as they will have more playoff experience.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:26:41 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: How come no one has noticed....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »
Allow me to add this, the have 7 road games and 5 home games until Odom may be back, they face The Spurs twice (1 home game) and travel to Dallas once more before that, plus 1 in Houston. If they split with SA and even lose to Dallas and I will still be very happy with the way they have played down 2 starters.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 04:34:29 PM »
Not to mention they lost Kwame.  While Kwame is not the greatest player he has improved quite a bit.  His rebounding and defense is what the Lakers are really missing.  If anyone caught the game last night you could see how bad they were getting beat on the glass with Kwame/Lamar not in the game.

Personally I am more then happy.  Seeing them beat any good team without Lamar is a major accomplishment.  Even moreso last night when you figure Brian Cook, Vlade Rad, and Ronnie Turiaf had to guard Dirk...someone Odom matches up MUCH better with.

This team is a contender.  Not a PHX/SA/Dal caliber team yet but right underneath them.  They have proven they can beat the top teams in the league at home (they beat all the above at home so far this year) lets see what they can do on the road.

I was at the game last night and it was frickin awesome!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:41:28 PM »
I haven't seen enough of the Lakers to really comment.  But from what I have seen they are playing with great energy and teamwork.  Maybe Kobe's year without Phil was a BIG eye opener for him.  Props have to go out to PJ for pulling these guys together as a team.  Also I think that Walton has been undervalued by the media so far...but since it is a team from LaLa land that should change soon.   ;)

Unfortunately I don't see the Lakers catching the Suns for the Pacific title and I think the Spurs will hold onto the best record for non-division winners.  That means the Lakeshow will start the first round on the road.  However I also think that the 5-7 seeds (Lakers, Rockets, Nuggets - not necessarily in that order) will be very dangerous in the first round.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:55:36 PM »
Their near catostrophic meltdown against the Kings the other night says some positive and negative things about this squad.

They NEVER should have allowed Sac back into a game they had controlled for nearly 3 quarters especially as bad a game as Artest was having, inexcusable defensive lapses and their falling in love with jump shot attempts gave Sac good transition baskets and allowed Bibby to flame them in the 4th. Very disappointed with that collapse. They clearly missed Kwame's defense in the post, and Bibby just had his way with them.

On the plus side, for a young team, they sucked it up and pulled out a win they didn't deserve, they didn't roll over when the Kings took the lead, and Kobe didn't try to tie or win it himself at the end of regulation, beautiful dish to Sasha (Who in the world missed that assignment?), which reminds me, I am virtually positive Kobe had 9 assists before that last inbound pass to go with his points and 10 boards, why didn't he get his 10 assist on that dish?

Personally, I am happier about the win last night becasue they did have to defend Dirk by committee and managed to do a decent job.

There are clearly some rough edges that need smoothing out but I seriously doubt this is a 1 and done team come this post-season.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 06:26:48 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
Nice to see you back, Laker Fan. 

This has been a nice season so far and I'm very pleased.  I agree with everyone's assessment that this team is not yet among the elite.  That said, they're playing well together for the most part and guys are stepping up with all of the injuries to starters.  The main area they need to improve is consistency ... bringing the energy every night whether they're playing the Mavs or the Bobcats.  That last road trip killed me b/c they really should have beat the Bulls (up 12 in the third) and the Bobcats (the one game so far this year Kobe reverted back to his old self). 

I think it's time people start giving some credit to Mitch Kupchak.  A lot of Laker fans have been <edit> giving Mitch more than his share of grief the last couple of seasons.  Now, all of the sudden, the Lakers appear to be one of the deepest teams in the league and have a plethora of young guys that are developing in to solid players.  It's time to give Mitch some props ... maybe he did learn a thing or two while carrying Jerry West's briefcase all those years. 

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »
So Lurker you are assuming perhaps a Laker flame out late in the year to give the Spurs the non-division record? Because right now they're neck and neck with you and I don't see them dropping off anytime soon.

Also, are you admitting your boys can't beat the Mavericks for the division this early in the season? Is their something about the Spurs play of late I am missing that shakes your confidence in them? Could it be their 7-9 record against teams at or above .500? Seriously, what is your assesment of them right now and how soon do you think we will soon have new Dallas fans on this board (not you of course)?
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 06:17:25 PM »
Dan -

The Laker/Kings game should never have made overtime. First, because the Lakers should never have let the Kings back into it, and second, after the Kings took the lead, both Bibby and Martin missed FT attempts that would have put the game out of reach for the Lakers.

But on that feed by Kobe to Parker, and before that to Sasha, the Kings freely admitted post game that they totally did not expect Kobe to pass the ball in either situation. Once he did, they were practically dumbfounded before they could react. Bibby in particular was already out of position to guard Parker, as he was moving in to double on Kobe.

News flash to the rest of the NBA - the Kings cannot stop anything in the lane. Kenny Thomas, Sharif Abdur-Rahim, and Brad Miller make up the weakest front court since Miss Blech's third grade girl's three-on-three squad got blown out 110 to 4 in the all wussy State Bobby Sox turnamount.

Could anyone out there please donate a backbone for any of these guys to share when on defense?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »
Touche' on Walton, he is banging down low more than last year and his confidence is way up, not afraid to drive the lane and he's doesn't back down on defensive assignments.

I would like to see Turiaf get a few more minutes in order to develop his raw talent and take advantage of his defensive energy on the floor, even Radmanovich isn't playing bad, I wish when he is in he would be more agressive on offense, Barkley had it dead on the other night against Sac, he wouldn't take advantage of the size mismatch he had all night and if he had, the Lakers would not have needed overtime to put the Kings away.

And thanks msc, I'v been around, just zero time to post, besides, the unreasonable blind Laker bashing with no substance to back up totally inane claims and no abililty to defend a postion gets really old to me, The Lurkers, JoMal's (despite his intense bitterness he will never admit to), Dereks, msc's, wk's, Skandery's, and anyone who can discuss instead of incite are what keeping me checking in though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 06:32:02 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 06:30:25 PM »
I actually meant Kobe's dish to Parker, not Sasha, point being, I thought he had a triple double with that pass.

Your right, Radmanovich should have dropped 30 at least on the Kings, he had the size and mismatch all night long against that front court, are you disappointed with Rahim?
Dan

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »
Laker Fan, Radmonovic seems like he's having trouble fitting in to the triangle.  He's had some flashes here and there, but I don't think he's shown what he can do yet on the offensive end.  I've been pleasantly surprised with his defense so far.  No one will ever confuse him with Dennis Rodman, but he hasn't been the liability on the defensive end that I thought he would be.  Last night being the exception, but c'mon, how many guys can guard a 7 footer that shoots three's and drives to the hoop with ease like Dirk? 

JoMal, I hear you regarding the Kings frontcourt.  I'm kind of dumbfounded by it.  Kenny Thomas used to be quite a banger ... didn't he?  Is he just getting old?  Brad Miller was looking really good both offensively and defensively on Indiana and when he first came over to the Kings.  Have injuries taken a toll?  Rahim has always puzzled me.  I think it has something to do with seeing him play in college.  His physical gifts were unbelievable as a freshman in college.  Seeing him in person blew me away and I was convinced he'd be a top-tier pro.  That's never seemed to happen for him, maybe it's because he's kind of a tweener, too small for a 4, too slow for a 3.  I'm not sure, but IMO his NBA career has been a big disappointment. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 06:54:58 PM »
Dan -

The Laker/Kings game should never have made overtime. First, because the Lakers should never have let the Kings back into it, and second, after the Kings took the lead, both Bibby and Martin missed FT attempts that would have put the game out of reach for the Lakers.

But on that feed by Kobe to Parker, and before that to Sasha, the Kings freely admitted post game that they totally did not expect Kobe to pass the ball in either situation. Once he did, they were practically dumbfounded before they could react. Bibby in particular was already out of position to guard Parker, as he was moving in to double on Kobe.

News flash to the rest of the NBA - the Kings cannot stop anything in the lane. Kenny Thomas, Sharif Abdur-Rahim, and Brad Miller make up the weakest front court since Miss Blech's third grade girl's three-on-three squad got blown out 110 to 4 in the all wussy State Bobby Sox turnamount.

Could anyone out there please donate a backbone for any of these guys to share when on defense?

Correct and correct.  The Lakers should NOT have let them back in the game and the Kings, especially those two players, should have hit FTs.  You don't expect Martin or Bibby to clank FTs.  I would also toss in that it never should have went to OT because Parker NEVER should have let Bibby get any kind of look from 3.  I don't care how deep he was.  One question JoMaL, why wasn't Kevin Martin the focus of the offense?  And why did Artest get the ball in the post like 3-4 times?  NO ONE can guard him.  I was closing my eyes everytime he caught the ball on the block.

As for the Kobe, heck I didn't even think he was going to pass.  I wasn't paying attention to Parker myself !!  Kobe has been the heck of play maker over the last 14 games.  He even had 9 assists in one quarter and finished with more assists then points that game (okay stop holding your heart guys its over)  ;D

Lakers are not quite up there yet but they can compete, they've beaten DAL/SA/Phx so it is possible.  That has to account for something.  They also have one of the best records against the Western Conference, 15-5
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:03:41 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:05:26 PM »
I actually meant Kobe's dish to Parker, not Sasha, point being, I thought he had a triple double with that pass.

Your right, Radmanovich should have dropped 30 at least on the Kings, he had the size and mismatch all night long against that front court, are you disappointed with Rahim?

LF, don't go equating my postings with westkoast to Laker bashing. Two different things. And I have freely admitted to my resentment of the Lakers and to the reasons for it, but that has nothing to do with out-and-out animousity either. Laker fans are far more annoying then anything the Lakers have done on the court.

The Kings lack something this year. While SacTown fans have been screaming for Musselman's head and have been comparing him unfavorably with Adelman, I see more a lack of talent then coaching issues. Eric is constantly coaching this team and the King's making a comeback in that Laker game can be linked directly to his working on matchups and playcalls that would work in the Kings' favor.

Abdur-Rahim is not ever going to be a dominant power forward in the NBA. He is functional, and can provide some decent offense, but other then that, there is a reason he never played on a playoff team in his entire career before last year with the Kings. While the small forwards, shooting guards, and point guards in the NBA will always garner the big scoring outputs and assists, and look like MJ wanabees, this is still a big man's league, where teams that have strong front courts will dominate teams that don't.

The Kings usually start Kenny Thomas at power forward. At 6'7", this is hardly a guy who should have received a long contract at over 6 milllion a year. It actually makes him think he deserves it. But he is no PF. Once every ten games or so, he looks unstoppable. Unfortunately, those games in between have to be played as well. As for SAR, he can hold his own with maybe 30% of the League's other PF and put up some decent numbers against them, but there is something missing from his overall game that keeps his teams from winning consistently.

Brad Miller is a center who can pass the ball better then most and has a terrific outside shot, but again, on defense you just wish once in a while he could deter shots from the other team's big guys. Just never happens.

Last week, the Kings signed an undrafted kid out of Wyoming who almost made the team out of spring training, named Justin Williams. He is 6'10", and is a shot blocker and rebounder. If so, he would be the only one on the Kings.

What does a "shot blocker" and "rebounder" do, anyway? We in SacTown have never heard of those names in reference to a basketball player before.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 07:09:10 PM »
I was not a fan of Radman comming to the Lakers but you have to cut the guy some slack.  He's playing through alot of pain, his shooting hand requires season ending surgery.  Instead of haning it up for the year he opted to play through the pain and get surgery in the offseason.

The Lakers deserved to lose the Kings game, can't believe the FT line the Lakers installed at Sactown screwed the Kings again.

Can't believe they beat the Mavs, at first I thought the Mavs were comming off a back to back but both teams played on Friday so it's a good win for the Lakers, their big wins have come against teams on the back end of a back to back.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 07:14:29 PM »
JoMal, I hear you regarding the Kings frontcourt.  I'm kind of dumbfounded by it.  Kenny Thomas used to be quite a banger ... didn't he?  Is he just getting old?  Brad Miller was looking really good both offensively and defensively on Indiana and when he first came over to the Kings.  Have injuries taken a toll?  Rahim has always puzzled me.  I think it has something to do with seeing him play in college.  His physical gifts were unbelievable as a freshman in college.  Seeing him in person blew me away and I was convinced he'd be a top-tier pro.  That's never seemed to happen for him, maybe it's because he's kind of a tweener, too small for a 4, too slow for a 3.  I'm not sure, but IMO his NBA career has been a big disappointment. 

No kidding about Rahim. He seems to be a good player, but the results of teams he plays for is dismal. Thomas and Rahim are at odds about which one should be the starter. The reality is, neither is good enough to start, but there you go. Thomas can bang - once in a while - at other times, you forget he is on the court. He can finish around the basket, and pick up offensive rebounds, and yet there is not much he can do against a better PF, though he actually plays decent defense for his size. Both Thomas and Rahim are no match strengthwise with the top PF's in the NBA, and it shows up with the serious teams out there.