Author Topic: How come no one has noticed....  (Read 3145 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: How come no one has noticed....
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 07:40:18 PM »

Correct and correct.  The Lakers should NOT have let them back in the game and the Kings, especially those two players, should have hit FTs.  You don't expect Martin or Bibby to clank FTs.  I would also toss in that it never should have went to OT because Parker NEVER should have let Bibby get any kind of look from 3.  I don't care how deep he was.  One question JoMaL, why wasn't Kevin Martin the focus of the offense?  And why did Artest get the ball in the post like 3-4 times?  NO ONE can guard him.  I was closing my eyes everytime he caught the ball on the block.

As for the Kobe, heck I didn't even think he was going to pass.  I wasn't paying attention to Parker myself !!  Kobe has been the heck of play maker over the last 14 games.  He even had 9 assists in one quarter and finished with more assists then points that game (okay stop holding your heart guys its over)  ;D

Lakers are not quite up there yet but they can compete, they've beaten DAL/SA/Phx so it is possible.  That has to account for something.  They also have one of the best records against the Western Conference, 15-5

Bibby will just make those shots once in a while, so Parker not getting to him is hardly unexpected. It was the little opening Mike needed and so he shot it. That was probably what he was looking for.

But you bring up two sore points with me.

That for whatever reason, Musselman (and perhaps the Bibby/Artest/Thomas) nucleus, who expect the ball - or rather demand it) does not run plays for Martin. Now, Martin seems to be a decent shooter - it comes up once in a while here, and with the acknowledgements from opposing players. Even the Kings' players have noticed his increase in points scored this year. In fact, he seems to be the only NBA player this year who is scoring over 20 points a game while averaging under 14 FG attempts per game. So maybe a screen could be run for Kevin occasionally, or a pick and roll (Miller was doing this with Martin for a while until Kenny Thomas, I guess, got upset with Brad playing "favorites" and suddenly only Thomas got to do the pick and roll play with Miller.

Against the Knicks, players on their bench were mocking Martin for his unorthadox shot in the lane, where he one-hands the ball toward the hoop while in mid-air and moving laterally to the basket. If only he had missed more then he made, maybe the Knicks would have not looked so shocked afterwards.

And as has been proved, when Artest wants to score in the lane, he has no trouble doing so. It would help quite a bit if Artest would once in a while show a little love to his teammates after he gets the ball in there and pass it out, but he definitely can score most of the time. He is not much of a passer, which irks Kings like Miller and Bibby, who like to move the ball around more.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 08:38:14 PM »
I think you underestimate Martin's shooting JoMal, if the Laker game was any indication, he is a serious outside threat that can open up the Kings post game, and the Kings were playinf the pick almost to perfection in that game so they do seem to recognize the potential there.

I do agree with everyone so far, Martin, I believe a 90% FT shooter, should have iced the game for Sac but I'll take the miss and be happy with the win.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 02:23:43 AM »
LakerFanDango,
Let me help you out.
We have been discussing the Lakers all along.
Here is one such recent thread:
"Lakers -- are they better then the Spurs?"
http://www.phillyarena.net/forums/index.php?topic=3428.15

Myself my INET was down the last week.  I know the win over the Mavs continues my view of the 2007 Lakers and coach.
Bynum went at what #23?  20 or so teams may be regretting the pick they did not make.  Myself i thought some team should have blocked them from getting both Bynum and Turiaff.

Perfect timing for your return.
I want to get your (and everyones) takes on the new AMD chips vs Pentium along with Microsofts Vista hype.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 10:54:45 AM »
So Lurker you are assuming perhaps a Laker flame out late in the year to give the Spurs the non-division record? Because right now they're neck and neck with you and I don't see them dropping off anytime soon.

Also, are you admitting your boys can't beat the Mavericks for the division this early in the season? Is their something about the Spurs play of late I am missing that shakes your confidence in them? Could it be their 7-9 record against teams at or above .500? Seriously, what is your assesment of them right now and how soon do you think we will soon have new Dallas fans on this board (not you of course)?

Laker Fan...

1) I see the Spurs recent struggles as a combination of 2 factors.  First the Spurs usually hit a slump in Dec/Jan.  Also the team just had a bad flu virus run through it.  This bug which is going through SA is very draining.  There were a couple games where 2-3 players were missing and a couple others where some played sick or without full energy.

2) The Lakers & Spurs are basically tied.  However the Spurs own the best road record in the NBA while the Lakers are at .500 on the road.  Also the Spurs have played about 50/50 split between road & home.  The Lakers meanwhile have had 6 more home than road games.  As these things even out I see the Lakers fading slightly.

I don't expect the Spurs to catch the Mavs for the division.  I had hoped that they would win the division and their early play gave me added confidence.  And it mostly had to do with avoiding the 2-3 side of the playoff bracket.  However with the Jazz' continued solid play as well as the strong play of the lower seeds, I don't see an easy bracket in the West this year...only potentially easy series could be the 1/8 matchup.  But with the Wolves coming on strong even that could be a tough series.

My projection of west seeds (as of today barring no serious injuries):
1. Mavs (Avery will keep them motivated towards homecourt)
2. Suns (built for regular season success)
3. Spurs (enough veteran savvy to stay near the top in overall record)
4. Jazz (mainly because I don't see Nuggets catching them)
5. Lakers (PJ & Kobe have been there & know what it takes)
6. Rockets (if Yao/TMac are healthy in playoffs - watch out)
7. Wolves (seem to have found the right mix)
8. Nuggets (not enough defense)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 11:45:51 AM »
I think you underestimate Martin's shooting JoMal, if the Laker game was any indication, he is a serious outside threat that can open up the Kings post game, and the Kings were playinf the pick almost to perfection in that game so they do seem to recognize the potential there.

I do agree with everyone so far, Martin, I believe a 90% FT shooter, should have iced the game for Sac but I'll take the miss and be happy with the win.

Actually what I am emphasizing is that Martin would be scoring at least 7-10 more points a game if the Kings would start running some offense through him instead of guys like Thomas.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."