Author Topic: Pouty Kobe attempts to diminish Arenas 60 pts.  (Read 10528 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Pouty Kobe attempts to diminish Arenas 60 pts.
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2006, 12:46:48 PM »
Thanks for all the hot air JoMaL but I hate to break it to you....

but you high jacked this thread just as much as I did.  You wouldn't drop my tiny 3 word jab at the bottom of my comment about THIS THREAD...the one...about Kobe...and Arenas.

Hopefully Santa got you something to lower your blood pressure after this thread.  Merry X-mas..may the new year bring many bone head comments from Kobe for your enjoyment. 

Whatever.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2006, 04:59:49 PM »
Back to the topic at hand, Kobe should keep his egotistical mouth shut. I believe you agree with me on that. I believe WOW agrees with it also, As does Reality, Lurker, and I am sure Skandery, jn, and even msc. (Randy doesn't, but we all understand Randy gets very bitter when Kobe gets his foot-in-mouth disease a bit more then most Laker fans) 

Quote of mine from page 1
I would never support what Kobe said -- Kobe has an ego problem -- didn't realize that this was news around here.

Hmm, I guess once again you can't get your facts right -- this board really is getting old.  We seldom have good posting about real basketball around here and most of the time we just round and round on the same old issues.

My problem had nothing to do with Kobe's comments -- only about the fact that Reality skips over the very thing that he has ranted about from the Lakers simply because it doesn't provide negative fodder for his rantings.  But for you to stop to acknowledge such a thing is to take an impartial objective viewpoint for a moment about the Lakers and I never expect you or Lurker to do such a thing!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2006, 05:07:28 PM »
I would never support what Kobe said -- Kobe has an ego problem -- didn't realize that this was news around here.

And if you would have stopped there it would have made for a respectable post.  But instead you had to get all riled up because of who the original poster was.  And rant in 10-15 different posts that you can get pissy because the original poster is not objective.  THAT is almost as big of news as Kobe's ego. 

You are just soooooooo much more objective than any other poster on this board. 

NOT!
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »

And if you would have stopped there it would have made for a respectable post.  But instead you had to get all riled up because of who the original poster was.  And rant in 10-15 different posts that you can get pissy because the original poster is not objective.  THAT is almost as big of news as Kobe's ego. 

You are just soooooooo much more objective than any other poster on this board. 

NOT!

I think the difference is that I'm one of the few on this board who will actually ADMIT that they aren't objective -- that definately leaves you and JoMal out.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2006, 11:46:50 AM »
Well, since we all value objectivity so highly--- is Arenas as good a player as Kobe, AI, Wade or any of the others we mention so often?

He was quoted responding to what Kobe said, and simply responded, what can you say about a player who has three rings and is the best in the league.

He certainly has more class than Kobe, and a hell of a shot!  I saw him sink a first quarter buzzer beater last night from over 35 feet away, swish!  54 points last night and stopped the Suns winning streak.  Arenas is the real deal himself, and the only reason he isn't talked about more is that we don't have any Wizards fans here.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2006, 12:44:29 PM »
Well, since we all value objectivity so highly--- is Arenas as good a player as Kobe, AI, Wade or any of the others we mention so often?

He was quoted responding to what Kobe said, and simply responded, what can you say about a player who has three rings and is the best in the league.

He certainly has a hell of a shot!  I saw him sink a first quarter buzzer beater last night from over 35 feet away, swish!  54 points last night and stopped the Suns winning streak.  Arenas is the real deal himself, and the only reason he isn't talked about more is that we don't have any Wizards fans here.

I agree rick.  Arenas is a top level player in the league.  Part of it was that in first few years the Wizards had the whole MJ thing going.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2006, 07:26:12 PM »
Actually, Lurker, Gilbert Arenas was drafted by Golden State in the second round and played for them for two years before signing a 6 year contract with Washington after Michael Jordan had retired......for the 3rd time.  Now his first year in Washington (03-04 Season), he did miss 27 games with an abdominal strain.  The past 2 and half season's, he's absolutely lit the league on fire.

I watched the Phoenix-Washington game last night, best game I've seen all season.  They put Raja Bell on him, nothing, Leandro Barbosa, nada, then decided to put Shawn Marion on him in the second half--uh uh.  You can't guard Arenas, you just hope he misses.       
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2006, 11:15:04 AM »

He certainly has more class than Kobe, and a hell of a shot!  I saw him sink a first quarter buzzer beater last night from over 35 feet away, swish!  54 points last night and stopped the Suns winning streak.  Arenas is the real deal himself, and the only reason he isn't talked about more is that we don't have any Wizards fans here.

As far as scoring goes? I think he is up there.  He can do everything they can do...hes got jumper, he can get to the rim, he can get to the line, and he can strap a team on his back.  There is one thing that seperates the Arenas, Bryants, Iversons of the league from everyone else, it is that ability to go scorching hot and just toast teams.  There are alot of good scorers in this league but the best scorers have that supernova scoring streak in em.

Part of the reason you dont hear alot about him is that he is sort of a quirky guy.  I think the media kind of gets that vibe from him and he is not someone they cover alot.   I can't think of any other reason because DC is not a tiny market.  It is a decent sized market.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2006, 06:01:37 PM »
IMO, he would get more media attention IF the Wizards were in the hunt for a championship.  Like Paul Pierce, who deserves more notice than he gets, good players on bad teams are often overlooked.

For casual fans like us, that's no biggie, we should be more focused on our local team, but for TNT or NBC to not take more notice in these players is a real shame.

The NBA, for all the great marketing advances it has made in recent years, the star-stocking machinery could use a little work.  Wade and Lebron have the spotlight and somewhat deservedly so, but the Pierce's and Arena's have games worth watching, every bit as much as theirs, Kobe's or T-Mac's. AI seems to get more than his share of attention, simply because he is who he is and his trip to the finals. 

It will be interesting to see how many headlines Iverson will grab now that he's in small market Denver.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2006, 06:06:50 PM »
It will be interesting to see how many headlines Iverson will grab now that he's in small market Denver.
MarshMellow Anthony is like #2 in jersey sales, right?
I think he is a huge draw amoung youth who want to be big punks like Anthony.
I don't think Denver has been a problem at all for marketing.  I don't know if Denvers 'hood area is large enough, but surely Anthony got lots of street cred back when he swung n ran in the brawl, right?
I can't listen to the espn interview right now, but it be "Mellow giving *his* explaination of da brawell.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 06:11:18 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2006, 11:42:35 AM »
Well, it is trades like the Iverson deal, or the emergence of players like Arenas that keep basketball interesting.

Iverson looked a bit lost against the Kings, or, I should say, his teammates looked lost. They looked tight, like they were wondering how Iverson was going to play it. A.I. got little help from his shooters that night, but against the Celtics, things looked more relaxed and his passes often ended up as points instead of misses.

Arenas followed up his outing against the Lakers with a continuation of accurate shooting in the games that followed, especially against the Suns, which was a terrific game which had little time for the viewers to relax. Right now, his play is putting the Wizards at the top of Sportscenter, where all the attention rides, so he is currently getting mentioned as often as Kobe, Wade, and LeBron. Lots of respect being given out for him.

And Randy, objectivity is in the eye of the beholder. In your case, there is just very little to observe and you tend to ignore whatever objectivity others exhibit as you see fit. Hardly a testimonial.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."