Author Topic: Pouty Kobe attempts to diminish Arenas 60 pts.  (Read 10556 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Pouty Kobe attempts to diminish Arenas 60 pts.
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:48:17 AM »
Asked how the Wizards' guard scored so many, Bryant said, "First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Think about that."

Better yet Kobadiah, lets get out the stats book and compare some of your big FT games.

Bryant added, "Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, they're just terrible shots, just awful. You make them and they're unbelievable shots."  Spoken by one who knows.

Phillip J was complimentary of Arenas:  "He made a lot of different shots, drives, 3-pointers, and still had that energy left to finish that game off," Jackson said.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pouty Kobe attempts to diminish Arenas 60 pts.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:30:17 PM »
You are soo funny -- if Kobe had shot 30 ft's, it would have been your first post of the morning but since it was someone else, you have to find a way to spin it against the Lakers?  In fact, it is quite noteworthy since the record for the most ft's in a game is 34.

And if the Lakers had shot SIXTY freethrows in a game, you would have been ranting for weeks!  I seem to remember you posting vehemently when the Lakers had less ft attempts than that against the Knicks.

Guess none of that counts since it was against the Lakers, huh? ::)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:19:51 PM »
Randy, just because Gilbert Arenas out-dueled Kobe Bryant to the tune of 15 points and dialed the Lakers up for 60 points, and then took a bow before the esteemed Staples faithful; no reason to get your ruffles in a bunch...

I also thought Phil Jackson (and very unexpectedly, I assure you) showed more class than Kobe Bryant.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=cama10912180608.wizards_lakers_basketball_cama109&prov=ap

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 01:22:42 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:00:28 PM »
You are soo funny -- if Kobe had shot 30 ft's, it would have been your first post of the morning but since it was someone else, you have to find a way to spin it against the Lakers?  In fact, it is quite noteworthy since the record for the most ft's in a game is 34.

And if the Lakers had shot SIXTY freethrows in a game, you would have been ranting for weeks!  I seem to remember you posting vehemently when the Lakers had less ft attempts than that against the Knicks.

Guess none of that counts since it was against the Lakers, huh? ::)

Min -   29
FG  -   18-31
3Pt -   4-10
FT  -   22-25
Pts -   62 

Kobe Bryant's numbers against the Mavericks in a game played last year, in which the Mavs shot <wait for it> 30 free throws collectively for the game.

Here's a resounding insight for you Randy. If a player ---ANY PLAYER --- is going off against a team ---ANY TEAM --- what is the most likely recourse for the opposing team to try to do to slow him down.

I will wait a minute until it comes to you. <la de da-----la de da>

Okay, times up. I will await your final answer. You might also let Bryant in on this puzzler, if you want. He certainly should know what that recourse might be as he learned in that Dallas game.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:08:39 PM »
Randy, I noticed you completely failed to address the main point of the original post.  That Kobe cannot stand up and admit that he got outplayed.  He is showing little respect and even less class.

And instead of addressing the issue you attack the poster.  Typical.   ::)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 02:52:34 PM »
Randy, I noticed you completely failed to address the main point of the original post.  That Kobe cannot stand up and admit that he got outplayed.  He is showing little respect and even less class.

And instead of addressing the issue you attack the poster.  Typical.   ::)

I would never support what Kobe said -- Kobe has an ego problem -- didn't realize that this was news around here.

However, it isn't any different than the problem that the poster that started this thread -- hypocrisy.  Kobe showed it in his statements -- and Reality showed it by posting decrying Kobe's statements but failing to decry the disparity in freethrows (he sure doesn't have that problem when the disparity is in favor of the Lakers).

But then I would expect you to look beyond the issues and strive to make it personal!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 03:44:31 PM »
Last time I checked a large ego shouldn't stop you from respecting your opponent.  Belittling Arenas' accomplishments shows a lot more than a large ego.  But let's not focus on that when it is much easier to attack the messenger.

As far as making it personal...I haven't.  But you sure can find a way to turn any post by a non-Laker fan into something attacking the individual.  All I did was call you out for failing to respond to the original post.  Then you have to justify your making personal by saying: so & so started it.  Great rebuttal.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:28:24 AM »
Wow.  Turns out Kobadiah had more.  You can read this, but I got to hear this on L.A. radio replay.  His tone. 

"But him individually, it's funny. He doesn't seem to have much of a conscience. I really don't think he does. Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, and they're just terrible shots. Awful. You make them and they're unbelievable shots. I don't get a chance to play him much, so I haven't gotten used to that mentality of just chucking it up there. He made some big ones, but I'll be ready next time."  Italics Realitys.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers18dec18,1,4895959.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 11:42:25 AM »
Wow.  Turns out Kobadiah had more.  You can read this, but I got to hear this on L.A. radio replay.  His tone. 

"But him individually, it's funny. He doesn't seem to have much of a conscience. I really don't think he does. Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, and they're just terrible shots. Awful. You make them and they're unbelievable shots. I don't get a chance to play him much, so I haven't gotten used to that mentality of just chucking it up there. He made some big ones, but I'll be ready next time."  Italics Realitys.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers18dec18,1,4895959.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Two things:

For Kobe to say ANYTHING about another player having such a great scoring day IN A WIN, tells us just about all you need to know about where he views HIMSELF in all of this. And for Arenas, a second round pick, for crying out loud, to do it against his Lakers???? Bryant must have soiled his diaper big time over that.

And second, the next time Kobe plays Washington, who wants to bet Mr. Bryant doesn't try to score seventy?

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 11:45:52 AM »
This is when you get so competitive you get bitter.  They lost the game, he was bitter and he had bitter words.  If he wasn't so bitter about the loss he could have said "I have not played him very much and I am not use to him pulling up anywhere he wants at anytime.  Next time I am going to have to be ready to defend a shot at any second he has the ball in his hand."

A shot is only a bad shot if you miss it!  Kobe has many ill advised shots but he makes a number of them.  When he dropped 61 he had many ill-advised shots...but they stayed down, so they are good shots  ;D  I think Gilbert Arenas had a pretty decent shot selection Sunday night.  Alot of his jumpers came off screens and he was actively taking it to the hole.  IMO he got a few fouls in his favor that should have been no-calls  but when you are aggressive like he was they tend to take your side.  They do it for Kobe and everyone else.   He played a hell of a game and it was pretty fun to watch.

However!  Yes you knew it was coming.  Why does this thread have the same amount of  replies as the thread about the brawl?  Yes the words were "ill-advised" lol but is it a bigger deal then a BRAWL?  Seems like a few of you seem like it is in the same realm with how you are arguing about it.    You guys love to get on Kobe for anything and since he hasn't given much ammo this year you guys are salivating.   Especially JoMaL  :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:54:36 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 12:03:54 PM »
   Especially JoMaL  :D

And your point being??

Of course I would get on Kobe for this one. It is just.....so......you know....Kobesque of him to sound critical of another player having a terrrific scoring night at his team's expense. The material is there for the asking. And since my Kings are, shall we say, shooting like pathetic girly boys without the swish, I have to find my basketball meaning of life elsewhere.

But the brawl is great fodder as well. Now that the Iverson trade talks have disappeared. Wasn't he strongly being rumored to be going to Denver? Guess that trade is on hold for now.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »
   Especially JoMaL  :D

And your point being??

You are one of the best people to speak on being bitter towards basketball players.  The old saying goes "It takes one to know one" 

Kobe is bitter towards Gilbert for beating him.  You are bitter towards Kobe for all the times he beat The Kings er I mean cuz you don't like him as a person  ::)  [tony soprano] YouknowwhatImean? [/tony soprano]

And a brawl in Denver ups its street cred which of course ups the chance of AI wanting to go there.  They proved when the air is thin people still get down like its the hood in Philly.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:29:28 PM »
You are one of the best people to speak on being bitter towards basketball players.  The old saying goes "It takes one to know one" 

Kobe is bitter towards Gilbert for beating him.  You are bitter towards Kobe for all the times he beat The Kings er I mean cuz you don't like him as a person  ::)  [tony soprano] YouknowwhatImean? [/tony soprano]

And a brawl in Denver ups its street cred which of course ups the chance of AI wanting to go there.  They proved when the air is thin people still get down like its the hood in Philly.

I am bitter about many things, but Kobe DOES hold a special place in my heart, and admittedly for the reason you stated. This year, though, he does not rank any higher then other players who have been racing past the running-in-place King defenders who think transition defense has something to do with keeping their automobile's carburator clean.

The thing that really bugs me though, about what Kobe was saying, is that the game was close. It was not like Arenas was doing this in the fourth quarter of a blowout. His team was relying on him to keep them in the game, and Kobe, among others, was not able to contain him and should have just recognized the effort. To come off sounding critical of an opposing player who, frankly took him and his team out of the game and won it by scoring points (which is the point of shooting the basketball, isn't it?), just makes him sound all the more petty.

And I thank him for it. Makes for a easy dig. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 12:51:54 PM »
What was the point of Kobe saying what he did?

Face it, it was small-minded and classless.  Other players on other teams give Kobe props when he does it to them, but he can't respect another players ability because of his ego.

That's why Kobe is a looser.  All the talent in the world, but selfish and small-minded  as well as hypocritical.

It wouldn't have hurt him one bit to give Arena's some props for a good game, but that simply honest act was too much for the Kobster.

I wouldn't want anyone to look at AI as a role model,  and I wouldn't want them emulating Kobe either!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 01:02:27 PM »

I am bitter about many things, but Kobe DOES hold a special place in my heart, and admittedly for the reason you stated. This year, though, he does not rank any higher then other players who have been racing past the running-in-place King defenders who think transition defense has something to do with keeping their automobile's carburator clean.

The thing that really bugs me though, about what Kobe was saying, is that the game was close. It was not like Arenas was doing this in the fourth quarter of a blowout. His team was relying on him to keep them in the game, and Kobe, among others, was not able to contain him and should have just recognized the effort. To come off sounding critical of an opposing player who, frankly took him and his team out of the game and won it by scoring points (which is the point of shooting the basketball, isn't it?), just makes him sound all the more petty.

And I thank him for it. Makes for a easy dig. 

Gilbert Arenas did NOTHING wrong.  He did everything right, which was put the team on his back to light up the Lakers for a W on the road where they were 2-8.   Kobe was just being bitter about losing to the Wizards at home after battling back to get it to OT (which it shouldn't have went to in the first place the Lakers didn't deserve it).  His shot selection was not really all that bad.  He went to the rim strong, took alot of jumpers off of screens, and made some tough shots.  Instead of being a bitter baby he should have just said 'Props to him but I am going to be chasing him better next time'  Kobe scores the exact same way Arenas did so I found it a little funny he made such comments.  They were only ill-advised to Kobe because he didn't know where the shots were going to come from so he couldn't guard him.  Arenas was too hot by the time Kobe switched to him.  They should have put Kobe on him alot earlier if they wanted to slow him down.  Honestly, last time I checked baseline fade away jumpers with a defender in your face would fall under ill-advised shot.  If it goes down, it it not a bad shot.  I don't care how you shoot it. 

I just find it funny that this is recieving as much attention as a full on brawl that comes in a close second to the Detroit brawl of a few years back.  It is okay to be critical of him, just find it funny that you and a few others want to pounce on it.  The ball hog knock is not working this year nor is the losing team knock either.  Hay at least you can count on his ego to give us something to talk about!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:07:00 PM by westkoast »