Author Topic: Don't turn off an NBA game early, Part 4,725,800  (Read 956 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Don't turn off an NBA game early, Part 4,725,800
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:52:34 PM »
93-66 with 9:45 left.  Lakers working Van Gundy Rockets to the tune of 25 pt lead.

I flip it off.
I flip it on.

94-92 with Scott Padgett at the line for the tie.

26-1 run in 7 minutes.

Padgett chokes both, other end Kwame gets an offensive interference tip in and its over.   

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Don't turn off an NBA game early, Part 4,725,800
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:10:52 PM »
At least the refs were consistant last night.  They missed alot of calls around the rim especially a few obvious goal tending calls.  Although I don't expect you to mention that to those who did not watch the game.  The game wasn't over after the tip in either.  There was still a number of chances they (Rockets) had to continue the push but turned the ball over and had bad shot selection on the next 3 trips down the floor.  Although I don't expect you to mention that either.

Phil Jackson and Van Gundy both figured the game was over themselves by pulling out Bryant/Ming.

Lakers need to learn what it is like to hold a lead when a stadium gets behind the opposing team when they make a run.  The fans really helped fueld that huge run at the lead in those final minutes.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:14:24 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:15:19 PM »
At least the refs were consistant last night.  They missed alot of calls around the rim especially a few obvious goal tending calls.  Although I don't expect you to mention that to those who did not watch the game.  The game wasn't over after the tip in either.  There was still a number of chances they (Rockets) had to continue the push but turned the ball over and had bad shot selection.  Although I don't expect you to mention that either.

Phil Jackson and Van Gundy both figured the game was over themselves by pulling out Bryant/Ming.

Lakers need to learn what it is like to hold a lead when a stadium gets behind the opposing team when they make a run.  The fans really helped fueld that huge run at the lead in those final minutes.

Umm, if you take Kobe and Odom both out of the game -- I wouldn't count on any lead.  The Lakers are playing very good team ball but it still is based on Kobe and to a lesser degree Odom.  I think the Lakers are going to struggle with Odom gone for a long time because the schedule starts getting pretty tough for the Lakers.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:27:25 PM »
At least the refs were consistant last night.  They missed alot of calls around the rim especially a few obvious goal tending calls.  Although I don't expect you to mention that to those who did not watch the game.  The game wasn't over after the tip in either.  There was still a number of chances they (Rockets) had to continue the push but turned the ball over and had bad shot selection.  Although I don't expect you to mention that either.

Umm, if you take Kobe and Odom both out of the game -- I wouldn't count on any lead.  The Lakers are playing very good team ball but it still is based on Kobe and to a lesser degree Odom.  I think the Lakers are going to struggle with Odom gone for a long time because the schedule starts getting pretty tough for the Lakers.

Kobe wasn't scoring at that point though Randy and was 8 for 22 in the game.  Not sure if you caught the game but the huge lead was built up because of Parker, Walton, and Brown for the most part on the defensive end.  That lead to some great ball movement from Luke and Smush that gave them alot of easy baskets and wide open shots.  What happened is that the defensive pressure all the players were putting on the Rockets in the 3rd did not continue.  Kobe could have sat on the bench just fine for the entire end of the game if the other Lakers played defense the way they did in the 3rd.   Jeff pulled 3 of his starters so he was backing out himself.   Phil pulled 3 of the players who were playing good defense in the 3rd qt and put in 4 subs with Smush Parker as the floor general which was a decision made about 2-3 minutes to quick IMO.

The Rockets don't score like that as it is so it's not about Kobe's offense, it was about team defense.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 09:58:35 AM »
Yep, went to bed last night with the Lakers down 20 points!  Nice present to wake up to!  ;D