Author Topic: Phil benching Bynum  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Phil benching Bynum
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:23:28 AM »
Is Phildo playing headgames with SuperByns and is it helping?

From what i see not at all.  Lakers worked by New Oklahoma tonight.  LakerNation, how do you view these comments?:

Status Alert: Bynum apparently lost his starting center spot due to a poor work ethic, according to the Riverside Press-Enterprise. Coach Phil Jackson noted that Bynum "hasn't been working hard enough to maintain the position. Just a few things got under my skin a little bit, and I didn't think he deserved to continue there." (Dec 5

Full article
LOS ANGELES - Coach Phil Jackson says that Andrew Bynum lost his starting job to Kwame Brown because of a poor work ethic.

"He hasn't been working hard enough to maintain that position," Jackson said Saturday. "Just a few things got under my skin a little bit, and I didn't think he deserved to continue there."

The 19-year-old started the first 15 games at center but was demoted after the coaching staff informed Jackson that Bynum wasn't arriving early to shoot before games.

"We really needed to send a message to him, and I thought that might help," Jackson said.

Bynum seemed to take it in stride.

"It doesn't matter to me as long as I get some minutes," said Bynum, who had four points in 12 minutes Saturday. "It's not really that much different. I'm coming in kind of early at the start of the game."

Brown Happy to Start

Jackson informed Brown he'd be making his first start of the season as Brown rode the stationary bike in the workout room before Thursday night's game against the Jazz.

Now that Brown is starting again, he admits he prefers it that way.

"I like starting," said Brown, who had been expected to start until a rotator cuff injury sidelined him for the first seven games.

"As a starter, you've got to be ready to play right away."

Brown started Saturday and filled up his stat line in 34 minutes, finishing with seven points, eight rebounds, three blocks and three steals.

He said he was shocked to get the good news last week but wished he had known earlier than minutes before the game started.

"But with Phil you got to always be ready," Brown said.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Phil benching Bynum
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:50:02 AM »
Thank God Phil has a workhorse like Kwame Brown to fill the lackluster spot left by Bynum at center for the Lakers.

If only CM were not lost for the season.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 12:01:57 PM »
Why is it head games?  Don't all coaches bench or taking away starting jobs for players who are not doing what they are asking?!  Was Jerry Sloan playing "mind games" with Deron last year when he did the same thing?

Man if only we had the powerhouse front line the Kings have....one could wish ;D
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:40:16 PM »
I would say it is headgames if Phil went to the media first.  If Phil had addressed the issue of not putting in extra time with Bynum first then the kid needs to get his head on straight.  And sometimes being called out is the best way to accomplish that.

"It doesn't matter to me as long as I get some minutes," said Bynum, who had four points in 12 minutes Saturday. "It's not really that much different. I'm coming in kind of early at the start of the game."

But this quote makes me think that Bynum just doesn't get it. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »
I would say it is headgames if Phil went to the media first.  If Phil had addressed the issue of not putting in extra time with Bynum first then the kid needs to get his head on straight.  And sometimes being called out is the best way to accomplish that.

But this quote makes me think that Bynum just doesn't get it. 

He was benched before anything was said to the media.  In fact this is the first I heard of anything.  Props Reality because I was wondering why he lost his starting job.

I have to agree with you Lurker.  I don't think he fully gets it.  Would liked to have seen him say "Coach wants me to focus more in on defense and run the triangle so I need to improve on that so I can get the starting job back"  Hopefully that was explained to him.

He did not play much last night because he was not hitting the glass hard enough.  He had a few blocks in very limited minutes but just was not patrolling the paint well.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 02:51:53 PM »
I think it's a sad day in Inglewood when Kwame Brown wins a starting job because of his superior work ethic.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 04:33:20 PM »
Actually, this was reported when it happened in the LA Times.  It initially started b/c Bynum was late to a practice or pre-game meeting (can't remember which) and he lost the starting job for the Jazz game.  Kareem fell on the sword and said it was just a misunderstanding.  That said, this is what Phil does and I'm glad he does it.  Call it mind games, that's probably as accurate of a term to use as any.  But he calls guys out and pokes and prods guys through the media and directly in an attempt to stimulate them.  Some guys step up, some don't.  It's too soon to tell with Bynum.  A common knock on the kid when he came in to the league was that he really didn't have a lot of passion for bball in high school.  Everyone wanted him to play, obviously due to his stature, but he was more in to school (hard to believe, I know).  Anyway, a lot of people speculated that b/c of this he wouldn't have the drive to be a successful NBA player.  It's still too soon to tell, but from an outside perspective, it sure looks to me liked he's been working on his game. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 05:07:35 PM »
The whole "more interested in other things than basketball" label was hung on DRob also.  And he turned out to contribute a little.  I see this as mostly a maturity issue with Bynum.  A lot of 19-20 year olds...especially those whose "career" comes so easily...have trouble adjusting to the real world of work. 

And the NBA is a job...many players who come to SA comment on how businesslike the players approach the game.  Once they "punch the clock" then it becomes serious business.  Even the top dogs are expected to put in the extra work to make themselves and the team better.

That is what I found troubling about Bynum's quote.  It should be a big deal to him.  He should recognize that his natural size & talent is not enough to carry him far in the NBA.  Hopefully he will see the light (and join the Spurs) and realize that to succeed means putting in the extra effort.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 08:32:03 PM »
^^I totally agree, Lurker. 

Although there is one "top dog" who was able to achieve great things with limited hard work and dedication.  Of course he did have a couple of years of solid collegiate coaching.  Still, it's a good thing Kareem is mentoring Bynum and not Lazy McFatFat. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »

Although there is one "top dog" who was able to achieve great things with limited hard work and dedication.  Of course he did have a couple of years of solid collegiate coaching.  Still, it's a good thing Kareem is mentoring Bynum and not Lazy McFatFat. 

Traditionally Phil does not play younger players.  But i think this will work out fine.  With Kareem as a "buffer" to any Phildo-Bynum exchanges, I can't see Phil ruining this guy or Bynum being a slacker that ruins himself.  The dream to be one of the all time great centers ala Bob Parish lives.

However I hope Phil gets on his nerves and he bails to San Antone after his rookie contract expires.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 11:28:17 AM »

Traditionally Phil does not play younger players.  But i think this will work out fine.  With Kareem as a "buffer" to any Phildo-Bynum exchanges, I can't see Phil ruining this guy or Bynum being a slacker that ruins himself.  The dream to be one of the all time great centers ala Bob Parish lives.

However I hope Phil gets on his nerves and he bails to San Antone after his rookie contract expires.

Phil has no choice with Mihm going down and Vlade retiring.  His hand was somewhat forced and just happen to work out somewhat.  The new duo Brownum (that is trademarked people) are a quality big man when their forces combine like Captain Planet from a production standpoint.

That wouldn't make sense because I think he can't just be under Kareem for another year then bolt and still develop the same.  Kareem and Bynum have a good relationship.