Author Topic: OT: America in 2050  (Read 6014 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
OT: America in 2050
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 02:59:51 PM »
Thanks for the optimist's point of view, JoMal.   ;)  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 03:09:39 PM »
Dosen't matter, Cali will have collapsed into the ocean by then.  Probably due to all the excessive weight of all those DAMN MEXICANS! :lol:  
Paul

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2004, 03:15:17 PM »
The weight of all those damned Mexicans hasn't made Mexico slide into the ocean yet. But plenty of retired white folks are moving to Mexico these days. By 2050, maybe all those former white Californians will be living in Baja.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2004, 03:37:41 PM »
I don't consider 4.2 birth rate HUGE over the next group which is blacks at 3.6  Problems for blacks is they're less likey to live to adulthood.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2004, 03:43:40 PM »
WoW, you hit the nail on the head as far as Koreans go.

I lived there for two years, and one thing that struck me was how driven the whole freakin' country is, driven to be better than Japan.

Korean kids go to school twelve hours a day from age twelve on. When they're in high school it gets worse, to the point at which some are at school 18 to 20 hours a day, just to prepare for College Entrance exams.

Most Koreans go hog-wild in college though. Holy crap, I knew so many Korean college students who did nothing but drink and sing karaoke. They usually settle down after a few years, and once they graduate, they go work for Hyundai or Samsung and basically say goodbye to any kind of life. They work twelve or sixteen hour shifts, and once a year get real pissed off and start throwing Molotov cocktails at the riot police. It's a national pastime. We Americans usually stayed inside on those days. But in the back of every Korean worker's mind is the drive to grow the Korean economy to surpass Japan. I can't tell you how many people tell me that. The only thing that really shuts down the nation is a Korea v. Japan soccer match.

Great place though, and the food just rocks.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2004, 03:47:01 PM »
Randy,

No offense but you're one ignorant mo-fo. Honestly I would expect an ignorant comment like that from a slack-jawed-in-bred-out of work-uneducated-knuckledragger from the mid-west or south. Please tell me you're joking and not that stupid! PLEASE! 

Umm, if you would read all my responses, I think it was pretty clear that it was all tongue-in-cheek.  I do think there is a problem with welfare but I wouldn't make that problem a racial problem as it exists in all races (although personally, I don't know any asians on welfare, I'm sure there are).  The whites, hispanics, african-americans, etc. all seem to have the same attitudes when it comes to welfare.  I have seen a few people rise above it -- and that too isn't based on race.  I think it sets people up for failure, IMO.  

I do know that for me and my wife, we decided to have 2 children -- mainly due to economics and our ages (after I finally graduated from 400 years of schooling).  But I don't think that this is built on race either -- more of a "cultural" thing than a race thing.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2004, 03:48:15 PM »
Great place though, and the food just rocks.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Korean honies......

I mean Korean honey.   ;)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Coffee girls......

Uhmm....nevermind!  :blink:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2004, 03:52:11 PM »
Randy,

No offense but you're one ignorant mo-fo. Honestly I would expect an ignorant comment like that from a slack-jawed-in-bred-out of work-uneducated-knuckledragger from the mid-west or south. Please tell me you're joking and not that stupid! PLEASE! 

Umm, if you would read all my responses, I think it was pretty clear that it was all tongue-in-cheek.  I do think there is a problem with welfare but I wouldn't make that problem a racial problem as it exists in all races (although personally, I don't know any asians on welfare, I'm sure there are).  The whites, hispanics, african-americans, etc. all seem to have the same attitudes when it comes to welfare.  I have seen a few people rise above it -- and that too isn't based on race.  I think it sets people up for failure, IMO.  

I do know that for me and my wife, we decided to have 2 children -- mainly due to economics and our ages (after I finally graduated from 400 years of schooling).  But I don't think that this is built on race either -- more of a "cultural" thing than a race thing.
I don't know about your parts but in SoCal, especially in L.A. Asian know how to work the system.

My wife was a Medical Assistant for years in Korea Town, South Central L.A. and West L.A. and the common demoninator where Asians on Medical.  I see plenty of Asian chicks pull out food stamps and WIC at the grocery store then get into a Lexus or Toyota Land Cruiser.  They know how to play the game.

I'm surprise eveyone doesn't get WIC, I was making 80-95K back in the 90's and we still qualified for WIC.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2004, 03:55:16 PM »
For the educated (both from college and the University of Common Sense), I think we all know our limitations when it comes to childrearing. I"M SO DONE with two kids, the idea of paying more than $1K a month in daycare expense isn't something I can't fathom. I can barely afford to pay that now, and as it is, THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL BUSH ADMINSTRATION WHO CUT OUR NCI FUNDED CANCER RESEARCH FUNDING, I was told yesterday that I'm going to lose my job in 2 months.  

THANKS AGAIN MR BUSH, thinks are just peachy in the US of A, why don't we focus our attention on going to MARS.   <_<  :angry:  
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2004, 04:02:08 PM »
For the educated (both from college and the University of THANKS AGAIN MR BUSH, thinks are just peachy in the US of A, why don't we focus our attention on going to MARS.   <_<  :angry:
I think that's a selfish attitude on your part.  Just look at all the incredible technology that's come from the space program.

Tang.

Hydrogen fuel cells that are used to power intercontinental bullistic missles and of course hydrogen fuel cell cars.....oh wait, Bush CANCELLED portions of the clean air act and basically gave the oil industry a free ride on air pollution and killed the hydrogen fuel cell boom going on in California costing hundreds or maybe thousands of jobs including mine and four of my friends.

Who knows maybe the US will develop a lemon-lime flavored Tang as a result of the Mars program.  I mean our economy, education and healtcare system in the country is peachy, why not WASTE BILLIONS on going to Mars.  Maybe we can send all the poor, uneducated and homeless people there and kill two non-republican birds with one stone!  :rolleyes:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2004, 04:10:59 PM »
I know, it sucks being downsized, especially since I have a newborn. Oh well, at least I have a cushion, and maybe when I experience being on the welfare rolls for the first time, I'll stop bitching about it.  :(

Since Bush has taken office in 2000, I have been downsized TWICE.   :(

YEAH...4 MORE YEARS!
Paul

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2004, 04:48:42 PM »
Randy,

I don't know about your parts but in SoCal, especially in L.A. Asian know how to work the system.

My wife was a Medical Assistant for years in Korea Town, South Central L.A. and West L.A. and the common demoninator where Asians on Medical.  I see plenty of Asian chicks pull out food stamps and WIC at the grocery store then get into a Lexus or Toyota Land Cruiser.  They know how to play the game.

I'm surprise eveyone doesn't get WIC, I was making 80-95K back in the 90's and we still qualified for WIC.
Most of the asians I know in this area are first or second generation -- they don't know the welfare game.  Most are small business owners and work about 18 hours a day, six days a week (I haven't visited a dry-cleaners here yet that isn't owned by an asian).  I wasn't saying that they didn't know how to work the system -- I just haven't known very many.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2004, 05:09:24 PM »
WOW, in 2002, Hispanic births comprised 50% of all births in California, while Blacks contributed 6%. White births made up 31% and Asian births 12%. The other "growing" category were mixed births, a new one since the 2000 census. They now are 1% of the births. American Indian were under 0.5%.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2004, 05:19:48 PM »
WOW, in 2002, Hispanic births comprised 50% of all births in California, while Blacks contributed 6%. White births made up 31% and Asian births 12%. The other "growing" category were mixed births, a new one since the 2000 census. They now are 1% of the births. American Indian were under 0.5%.
That's just cali, not nation wide.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2004, 05:34:38 PM »
I just wish you two knew half as much about basketball as you do the respective birthrates of Cali and the US.