Author Topic: Fantasy standings  (Read 3019 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fantasy standings
« on: November 15, 2006, 05:44:04 PM »
So what are the league standings????
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fantasy standings
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 06:00:06 PM »
Well...we lost the first week because we decided that NBA.com just sucked too much and why were we giving up the ease and familiarity with Yahoo for a live-scoring tool that wasn't even that useful.  So standings are based on 1 week.  

1.  Archangel United 10-1-0
2.  lttkonceagain 8-3-0  
3.  B-Ball Jihad 8-3-0  
4.  Wolverine's Gunners 8-3-0  
5.  Bods Ballers 7-3-1  
6.  Lurker's Berserkers 6-5-0  
7.  nerfgundeathsquad 5-6-0  
8.  jerry lewis 3-7-1
9.  Ted's Little Bops 3-8-0
10.  westkoast wankstas 3-8-0  
11.  Los Angeles Loosiers 3-8-0
12.  Genghis's PolarBears 1-10-0

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fantasy standings
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 07:06:58 PM »
Well...we lost the first week because we decided that NBA.com just sucked too much and why were we giving up the ease and familiarity with Yahoo for a live-scoring tool that wasn't even that useful.  So standings are based on 1 week.  

1.  Archangel United 10-1-0
2.  lttkonceagain 8-3-0  
3.  B-Ball Jihad 8-3-0  
4.  Wolverine's Gunners 8-3-0  
5.  Bods Ballers 7-3-1  
6.  Lurker's Berserkers 6-5-0  
7.  nerfgundeathsquad 5-6-0  
8.  jerry lewis 3-7-1
9.  Ted's Little Bops 3-8-0
10.  westkoast wankstas 3-8-0  
11.  Los Angeles Loosiers 3-8-0
12.  Genghis's PolarBears 1-10-0
Looks like Joe has to put up with your obvious superiority for the next 10 weeks.  I am sure you are enjoying that.  Keep me posted.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Fantasy standings
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:37:23 PM »
and what's up with joe? hardly have heard a peep from him about the league, the draft, etc. . .

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Fantasy standings
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 10:43:49 AM »
I'm still here.

My team is performing poorly - emphasis on POORLY.  I knew we were in for a rocky start since one of my keepers was Gasol, and I expect him to be instrumental to my team.  

I took a few gambles, and so far, the only one that has paid off is Hakim Warrick - who was my 14th rounder.  

Among the gambles that have NOT paid off: Ray Felton in round 4, who had an INCREDIBLE second half of last year and a great pre-season.  He's playing the 2-guard in Charlotte, when I had him slated at the point.  Obviously, when he gains 2-guard status, that changes things a bit, and opens up some trade possibilities for me.  Of course, the point guard I *WANT* is Nash, but there's no way Skander is giving him up.

My round 5 pick hasn't paid off:  Chris Webber.  In round 5, I'm looking at a guy who is 20-10-4 year after year.  That's an easy pick.  But he's fallen out-of-favor in Philly.

My round 6 pick hasn't paid off:  I stretched to get Randy Foye in Minnesota.  I had this pick scheduled from the start of the draft, as Skander and Caleb will tell you.  I didn't see any way that he'd be shut out of time in Minnesota with Rashard McCants out, and Garnett LIKES this kid.  Not to mention, I like what I've seen of him, and when I like a guard - especially one who can play point - I'm seldom far off the mark.  And given that Garnett likes this kid, as the season goes on, he *WILL* get time.  This is a guy I'm still high on, and don't see myself letting go of.

I grabbed Kenyon Martin - who I figured to go off in Denver.  This guy is a great defender, and George Karl loves great defenders.  So what about last year's problems?  My take was that that was a speed-bump in the rocky road that is dealing with George Karl.  Martin wasn't healthy - Karl wasn't going to risk his health more with Nene out for the year by giving him minutes and watching him degrade.  19 points in two games is a bit low, but the 20 rebounds in the two games he played was exactly what I was looking for.

I grabbed Andrea Bargnani as well.  Here's another guy who showed he could really score in pre-season.  A power forward who could hit threes - that would give my team an unusual ability, and given that my big rebounders - Duncan and Gasol - can also play center, I'll be fine in rebounding if I chose to play Bargnani and try to steal 3's.

Essentially, I still like my team.  In fact, I felt much better about this team that I did about last year's team.  This team reminded me of my team two years ago - where I took a lot of players who could have monster years, or could tank.  That year, Gerald Wallace was better than folks realized (although I traded him in a deal that, if I had to go back and do it over again, even though the deal was a steal for me, I'd not do the deal) although not what I had hoped, Quentin Richardson blew up, Drew Gooden blew up, Rashard Lewis blew up, and Rafer Alston blew up.  We didn't start having trouble until I traded Gerald Wallace and his blocks and steals plus my roster flexibility for Rip Hamilton and Shareef Abdur-Rahim.  I had an incredible run through the year.  That's the potential I saw in this team - although, we'd be running through with different categories.

It hasn't worked.  It may not.  But I still like this team INFINITELY more than I liked last year's team.  It's a more fun team to watch...well...except for Bargnani, Peterson (Toronto games are just painful), and Foye.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Fantasy standings
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 12:34:04 PM »
My team is worse then I thought it would be.  Intially I figured I wouldn't be anywhere near the top but at least in the middle of the pack.  Now, well I think I am going to continue to hover near the bottom until I can figure something out.  One of the biggest problems for me is the fact that I was expecting Kaman to have a big year.  Right now he is having a very weak year.  I figured with Brad Miller I would be able to switch Kaman/Miller depending on who was getting hot.  If Kaman didn't play well at least I could rely on Miller.....but now he is injured.

T-Mac, Chris Paul, and Jermaine O'Neal have been doing well for me but that is not enough to battle most people in this league.    
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Fantasy standings
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
Obviously my team is built on offense.  I rarely win rebounds, blocks and steals.  I thought I would do better this year with assists but that hasn't worked out.  I was hoping to grab some kind of a defensive player, preferably on blocks but I really didn't get one.  I was seriously considering taking Duncan or Brand with my pick, I was a little hesitant taking Dirk but his 3's and rebounding really made him attractive, but in retrospect I might have been better off with TD.  I may be looking to trade some of my offense, Okur/Richardson/Magette, for some shot blocking and steals.  Bell has not been playing as expected.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Fantasy standings
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:53:45 PM »
WayOut,

If Nowitzki and Duncan are both on the board, I'm going to grab Nowitzki.  When we started the league, I figured I'd grab Nowitzki with the 3rd pick - you took Shaq, I figured Lurker to take Duncan, and I'd get Nowitzki - who was the player I wanted.  But Lurker took Nowitzki - as he should have - and I took Duncan.

Ziggy got hold of Nowitzki, and never looked back.

I can understand why you'd want Duncan.  But truth of the matter is that you picked the right player.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!