Author Topic: Has Bynumania began?  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:29:32 AM »
18-9-5 in 24 minutes when it mattered, not garbage stuff.

The 18 pts may have Bynum breathing some rarifyed air, surpassing Fabbs Obertos career best.  Why did NBA.com stop posting career highs?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »
Very impressive stat line and I thought he played a GREAT game.  Although Odom was the man I think Bynum really got them going because the Suns could not do anything to him in the post.  Neither on the glass (both offensive and defensive) or with his jump hooks.  His transition defense is not bad for such a big akward fellow and his passing out of double teams torched the Suns.  Yes, for those who didn't watch the whole game the Suns were doubling Bynum on the block.  

The one thing I think he really should be given credit for is how well he plays his role in the triangle.  It has been suprising me over the pre-season and last night how well he moves inside of it.  I wouldn't say to perfection but man, he seems to really have picked up what he needs to do inside of it.  That is probably going to be the least talked about part of what he has been contributing to this team and will continue to do until Kwame/Mihm get back.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:27:49 AM »
That is probably going to be the least talked about part of what he has been contributing to this team and will continue to do until Kwame/Mihm get back.

...and I don't know that you should sit Bynum even when Mihm/Kwame come back.  After all, who exactly is the "big man of the future" here?  If Bynum continues to impress, I say leave him in there!

BTW westkoast, as far as I can tell, you didn't start Leandro Barbosa in your fantasy team yesterday and missed out on a career high 30 points and 6 three-pointers.  

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 11:33:13 AM »
He had a very good game but the Suns had no size to throw at him.  I don't agree he passes out of the double team well, he finds the open man but doesn't deliver the pass with the knowledge of where the opponents are positioned.  Good passer will make the normal pass when it will suffice but will "zip" the pass when a defender in too close for comfort.  Bynum doesn't do that but he will pick it up in time.  

Right now I don't see Bynum as much more than Brendon Haywood in a Laker's uniform.  They both work well when they're the biggest guy on the court.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:35:16 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:42:09 AM »
I am not raining on Bynums picnic.
Couple of Spurs said when Stoudamire was in (only 12 minutes total), PHX was like +20.
Said the rest of the night Phxs interior defense was unbelievably lame.

Oh well that's not Bynums problem.  On to game 2.
He's learing how to do the hook from Kreamy, who has got to be one of the best instructors on the subject.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:11:41 PM »
He had a very good game but the Suns had no size to throw at him.  I don't agree he passes out of the double team well, he finds the open man but doesn't deliver the pass with the knowledge of where the opponents are positioned.  Good passer will make the normal pass when it will suffice but will "zip" the pass when a defender in too close for comfort.  Bynum doesn't do that but he will pick it up in time.  

Right now I don't see Bynum as much more than Brendon Haywood in a Laker's uniform.  They both work well when they're the biggest guy on the court.
 :huh:

WOW last night he passed out of the double well considering the 3 times he got doubled ended up being 8 Laker points and 3 assists for Bynum.

You are going to be eating crow this year about all the bad mouthing you've been doing of Bynum  :D   W.O.W you do realize that with most of the teams in the league he is going to be the biggest guy on the court right?  

Reality it would have made a difference if Amare was there because you wouldn't see him get as easy of points but there was a number of plays where Amare wouldn't have been able to do much due to the fact of how Bynum is operating in the triangle.  He got himself quite a few easy buckets because he is playing inside of the offense.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 12:51:21 PM »
Most impressive player on the court in this game was.....

6'5 " Maurice Evans, battling four Suns players for the ball under the Laker basket and still getting a shot off as time expired at the half. Didn't go in, but Evans was finishing plays on offense and geting steals on defense.

You Laker fans are going to love the hustle of this guy.

As for Bynum, WOW is totally correct. Let's see him go up against a front wall that is a bit more impressive defensively then what the Suns can put out there. Phoenix had better outscore their opponents, because that open lane is going to be very inviting to other teams driving to the basket.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:50:43 PM »
Most impressive player on the court in this game was.....

6'5 " Maurice Evans, battling four Suns players for the ball under the Laker basket and still getting a shot off as time expired at the half. Didn't go in, but Evans was finishing plays on offense and geting steals on defense.

You Laker fans are going to love the hustle of this guy.

As for Bynum, WOW is totally correct. Let's see him go up against a front wall that is a bit more impressive defensively then what the Suns can put out there. Phoenix had better outscore their opponents, because that open lane is going to be very inviting to other teams driving to the basket.
He did the same thing against NeNe and Kenyon Martin who both are an inch shorter then Bynum currently is.

While I agree with you guys he will have more trouble with better low post defenders to say he is going to be a bust when he plays those caliber of players is just no true.  He is getting a bulk of his points because he is running the floor well and is playing inside the triangle well.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 02:23:13 PM »

WOW last night he passed out of the double well considering the 3 times he got doubled ended up being 8 Laker points and 3 assists for Bynum.

I guess you didn't watch the whole game if you think it was only 3 times he was put in that situation.  I saw Andrew pass out of a double team and into a turn over.  He did several things wrong on that possesion.  First he was unaware of where his team mates where on the floor.  Second he was unaware of where the defenders where on the floor.  Third, instead of making the right pass back out he tried to cross court pass it.  Fourth, it was too slow and off the mark and ended up as a turn over for an easy score.

You are going to be eating crow this year about all the bad mouthing you've been doing of Bynum  :D   W.O.W you do realize that with most of the teams in the league he is going to be the biggest guy on the court right?

I would like nothing better than to be wrong about Bynun being more than a journeyman center, doubt I'll be wrong.  He will not be so much bigger than most teams starting centers that he'll be able to get away with the advantages that 7 foot college center get away with ala Eric Montross.  I don't believe many teams will need to double Andrew.

Reality it would have made a difference if Amare was there because you wouldn't see him get as easy of points but there was a number of plays where Amare wouldn't have been able to do much due to the fact of how Bynum is operating in the triangle.  He got himself quite a few easy buckets because he is playing inside of the offense.

You're right, Amare wouldn't have made much of a difference.  The difference in the game, if you had watched it and not took second hand low grade opinions as gospel as SOME posters do ;) , was the lack of defense from the Suns and the aggressive play by the Lakers.  Odom, Bynum and that guy from the Pistons were killing the Suns inside.  The Lakers raised the intensity of their play on both ends of the court after letting the Suns build up a 19 point lead.  IMO the Suns let Nash sit too long and let the Lakers creep back in and at the same time the Suns got out of rythm on offense.  When Nash came back in the Suns made an 8 point run but the Lakers came back to keep it close then came out on fire in the 3rd quarter.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 02:24:15 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »
He did the same thing against NeNe and Kenyon Martin who both are an inch shorter then Bynum currently is.

While I agree with you guys he will have more trouble with better low post defenders to say he is going to be a bust when he plays those caliber of players is just no true.  He is getting a bulk of his points because he is running the floor well and is playing inside the triangle well.
Who used the term "bust"?  I think you're falling into Randyland.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 03:28:20 PM »

I guess you didn't watch the whole game if you think it was only 3 times he was put in that situation.  I saw Andrew pass out of a double team and into a turn over.  He did several things wrong on that possesion.  First he was unaware of where his team mates where on the floor.  Second he was unaware of where the defenders where on the floor.  Third, instead of making the right pass back out he tried to cross court pass it.  Fourth, it was too slow and off the mark and ended up as a turn over for an easy score.

You are going to be eating crow this year about all the bad mouthing you've been doing of Bynum  :D   W.O.W you do realize that with most of the teams in the league he is going to be the biggest guy on the court right?

I would like nothing better than to be wrong about Bynun being more than a journeyman center, doubt I'll be wrong.  He will not be so much bigger than most teams starting centers that he'll be able to get away with the advantages that 7 foot college center get away with ala Eric Montross.  I don't believe many teams will need to double Andrew.

Reality it would have made a difference if Amare was there because you wouldn't see him get as easy of points but there was a number of plays where Amare wouldn't have been able to do much due to the fact of how Bynum is operating in the triangle.  He got himself quite a few easy buckets because he is playing inside of the offense.

You're right, Amare wouldn't have made much of a difference.  The difference in the game, if you had watched it and not took second hand low grade opinions as gospel as SOME posters do ;) , was the lack of defense from the Suns and the aggressive play by the Lakers.  Odom, Bynum and that guy from the Pistons were killing the Suns inside.  The Lakers raised the intensity of their play on both ends of the court after letting the Suns build up a 19 point lead.  IMO the Suns let Nash sit too long and let the Lakers creep back in and at the same time the Suns got out of rythm on offense.  When Nash came back in the Suns made an 8 point run but the Lakers came back to keep it close then came out on fire in the 3rd quarter.
Umm, WOW, I think it's kind of interesting that the one play you mentioned was probably Bynum's worst play of the game -- hmm, why is that?

Bynum's statline for the night:
    18 points (on 7 for 11 shooting)
    4 out of 5 from the line
    9 rebounds
    5 assists
    1 turnover (obviously the play that you actually saw)
    2 personal fouls
    All in 24 minutes of play

Now, I'm not ready to herald Bynum in the heritage of dominant Laker centers but to compare him to Brendan Haywood is a joke.  I actually see a lot of promise offensively from Bynum -- it's his defense that concerns me.  The kid is only 19 years of age so I think it's way to early to consider him anything other than a promising young center (something that I wouldn't say of Haywood -- Haywood is like a ton of other centers around the league -- a tall person who fills in at a position that is void of real personell in our league).

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 03:39:33 PM »
All I can say is....

Of course he will be great....

As soon as he joins the Spurs.    :rofl:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 04:19:44 PM »
Umm, WOW, I think it's kind of interesting that the one play you mentioned was probably Bynum's worst play of the game -- hmm, why is that?

Bynum's statline for the night:
    18 points (on 7 for 11 shooting)
    4 out of 5 from the line
    9 rebounds
    5 assists
    1 turnover (obviously the play that you actually saw)
    2 personal fouls
    All in 24 minutes of play

Uhmmm Randy, I pointed out that one play cause weak-koast made it seem like there where only 3 possesions where Andrew was doubled and all three had positive results.  Uhmmmm Randy, if find it typical for you to try and deflect the points.  Who cares which or how many possesions I picked out, the fact that he's unaware of the floor is a big problem for a player who plans on making passes.  This could be lack of experience or attention, who knows, just shows he's not fully aware of his surroundings in those situations,  We could further discuss some of the safe passes he DID make vs the assist pass he could have made, because he is quite cabable of making difficult passes for easy baskets as he showed a couple of times last night.  He had a great stat line last night but he's not going to face 6'9 centers every game who are backed up by a 6'8 PF.

Now, I'm not ready to herald Bynum in the heritage of dominant Laker centers but to compare him to Brendan Haywood is a joke.  I actually see a lot of promise offensively from Bynum -- it's his defense that concerns me.  The kid is only 19 years of age so I think it's way to early to consider him anything other than a promising young center (something that I wouldn't say of Haywood -- Haywood is like a ton of other centers around the league -- a tall person who fills in at a position that is void of real personell in our league).

Like I said "right now", I'm not talking about his potential or future, if he worked hard enough and had the brains for b-ball he could become as good as Parish who IMO was a very underrated center.  Both his work ethic and brains are not defined in my eyes.  Luke Walton is a perfect example of someone with the brains for b-ball, even as a rookie you could tell this guy was bred for b-ball.  Granted Andrew skipped college and I don't know how "brainy" Walton was strait out of HS but that's part of the knocks you take comming into the league strait out of HS.  I don't know where the "bust" argument comes from, there are hyped guys like Ed O'Bannon, Harold Minor, Pervis Ellison, Bo Kimble, Stacey King, Gilliam, Tisdale and the like who are "busts" and then there are hyped guys who become VALUABLE journeyman players like Joe Smith, Terry Cummings, Laettner, Tom Gugliata, Derrick Coleman etc... They didn't become the stars they were expected to be but they were not "busts".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 04:21:13 PM »
All I can say is....

Of course he will be great....

As soon as he joins the Spurs.    :rofl:
Don't worry, if Bynum shows any kind of CONSISTENT stardom, coughOdemcough, Kobe will run him out of town and into the arms of the Spurs.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Bynumania began?
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »
Okay WOW, so he was double teamed 4 times comitted 1 turnover and had 3 assists.  Didn't realize 3 out of 4 was not good.   Not knowing where your teammates on one play but knowing where they were on 5 says brain fart to me.  Not a "big problem"

Lurker, you guys have Super Fabs why the heck would you need Andrew Bynum?  Andrew only scored more points last night then did Fabs did most of last year!