Author Topic: Will "no swearing" be enforced?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Will "no swearing" be enforced?
« on: October 23, 2006, 06:50:16 PM »
(Or will it be allowed as long as you are running back on defense? :rolleyes:  )
In addendum to:  http://www.phillyarena.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3294

WHAT NEXT?

Not only is Nash having trouble adjusting to the new composite material basketball (“They’ve changed our weapon”), but he’s struggling with the new zero-tolerance rule when it comes to arguing calls — or even using hand gestures to demonstrate you’re displeasure. “You can’t do anything,” Nash said after getting his second technical in as many games in the third quarter. “You can’t cuss which for professional athletes in the heat of the moment is like every other word, and you can’t make any hand gestures. So after 32 years of using my hands and cussing, I’m not allowed to do either — and they changed the ball. Next thing you know, chewing gum will be illegal.”

A reporter reminded Nash that after his trip abroad, he now knows how to swear in Italian. “Yeah, but if you do that, then you have to use the hand gestures,” he said.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 06:56:02 PM »
Well according to David Stern, and I quote "Fuck yes it will be enforced, you brainless shit for brains, oxygen sucking fucking dip shit".

ps - my apologies to the more senistive members here (like WOW).
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »
LAME!

If it is excessive... then okay warn them and tell them to cool it.

If it's an occasional swear word in the heat of the moment...no.  That is not a technical.  Steve is right.  In the heat of the moment words like that come out.  More times then not directed at yourself.  How many four letters words have we all said on the basketball court when we've made a bad decision?

And no, most  NBA fan do not worry about cussing so I don't buy that excuse from Stern.  I am going to safely assume that basketball players did not just start cussing after Y2k.  If it wasn't a problem them why is it now?  This game is not anymore or less family oriented as it was say 20 years ago.  Besides, most of us can't afford to sit in seats where you can hear all the cussing!!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »
Players like Rasheed Wallace might as well book spa time during the season now, because he won't be on the court for more then five minutes in any game.

An example of how ridiculous this will get happened in Reno on Sunday in the game between the Hornets and Kings. Our new starting shooting guard, Kevin Martin, and Chris Paul of the Hornets plowed into each other near the basket. They got up, made some joke about it with each other and smiled and laughed it off.....and got double T'ed up for it.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »
If a player says "What the "F&%K Ref?" He's going to get a technical.  

However, If he says, "Gee ref, I'm sorry I ran into Joe there.  I was looking the other way.  I thought he wasn't allowed to step into me though."  

The ref will not give him a T.

The simple truth is everytime you curse loud enough for the ref to hear, you're probably going to get it.

Stern wants a kinder more gentlemanly NBA.  "Pardon me, I didn't mean to shove my forearm into your chest as you drove the lane attempting to posterize me."  Next time, I may trip you instead!"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »
Will it go to the other extreme?
With Lord Sternfishs edict, will these "gentlemanly" NBA players resort to:

Game on the line, opponent drives to the hoop.
Well placed slap to the nutts of opponent, knowing full well he is going to respond by swearing.  Hence a T, hence a FT plus ball back.

Or opponents best player playing with 5 fouls, but playing very well.  Being cautious, not picking up 6th foul.  Until provoked by nutt slap or some other initiated taunt.

Baiting.  Done in the NFL all the time.

I mean really, are games going to be decided on this?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:06:56 PM »
Will it go to the other extreme?
With Lord Sternfishs edict, will these "gentlemanly" NBA players resort to:

Game on the line, opponent drives to the hoop.
Well placed slap to the nutts of opponent, knowing full well he is going to respond by swearing.  Hence a T, hence a FT plus ball back.

Or opponents best player playing with 5 fouls, but playing very well.  Being cautious, not picking up 6th foul.  Until provoked by nutt slap or some other initiated taunt.

Baiting.  Done in the NFL all the time.

I mean really, are games going to be decided on this?
I wouldn't say it really would make or break a game.  That is of course if they let some of the language fly when it is a close game ticking down to the final minute.

Could you imagine in a game 5 of a playoff series you have Steve Nash throw a pass right into another players hands and yells 'F$&@' real loud, BAM Technical foul.  1 FT that could tie the game in the closing minutes.

This whole "cleaning up the league's image" is getting out of hand now.  Keeping players from not cussing as much on the floor is not going to get a family into a stadium any faster.  How about lowering ticket and concession stand prices or mandating family ticket packages for every place an NBA team plays?  Cussing was not a problem back in the day and it is not now.  

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 01:31:20 PM »
What are you saying Westcoast, that cussing is a good thing?

It may be common, but it's not professional.  In most businesses if something happens you can't go aroung cursing people out without expecting to get fired!  Most people may WANT to say something colerful, but they can't, so they don't.

Is it really too much to ask for these guys to just play basketball?  Or do you want to sit there and explain to little Johnny exactly what it was that Rasheed said that got the ref so upset?

I think the players should be able to adapt to this rule without any problem.  It's simply a matter of training yourself and controlling yourself, something expected in most public situations.

Typically, people can express themselves better without resorting to using such language.  It's usually done for emphasis, but there are other ways of achieving the same end.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 01:34:32 PM »
The problem that I see with this rule is the built-in bias towards the elite players.  The NBA isn't going to allow Kobe & Wade to get Teed up on Christmas Day and spend more time on the bench than on the floor.  But do you think they will feel the same way about Smush Parker and Udonis Haslem?  How quickly will role players get whistled and stars get leniency?  This is a public relations disaster...or a rule that will be completely ignored except by those refs who were already quick triggered anyway (you can put your hand down Mr Jaffe.)

Here is items that have flown under the media radar but are also directives to the officials from the league:
Referees have been told to target three types of traveling: changing one's pivot feet; faking with one foot, then moving the other direction before the ball touches the court; and shooting off the wrong foot after a bunny hop. The league also wants to eliminate a lot of the jostling that goes on between players when they line up along the key for free throws.

The bolded part is my highlight...can you imagine every perimeter player in the league giving up this move?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 02:40:47 PM »
What are you saying Westcoast, that cussing is a good thing?

It may be common, but it's not professional.  In most businesses if something happens you can't go aroung cursing people out without expecting to get fired!  Most people may WANT to say something colerful, but they can't, so they don't.

Is it really too much to ask for these guys to just play basketball?  Or do you want to sit there and explain to little Johnny exactly what it was that Rasheed said that got the ref so upset?

I think the players should be able to adapt to this rule without any problem.  It's simply a matter of training yourself and controlling yourself, something expected in most public situations.

Typically, people can express themselves better without resorting to using such language.  It's usually done for emphasis, but there are other ways of achieving the same end.
I am not saying it is a good thing but a thing that happens in the heat of the moment.  Of course you have other ways to express yourself but usually when something slips out in the course of a game it is not planned.

Reality my step dad did not explain to lil koast about what a curse word was.  I am sure 20 years ago Mr. So and So did not have to explain it to their son.  Besides, you may be long disconnected from school but the worse things (such as cussing and sexual anything).

You know how people express themself better then using curse words? Body language....but that too is a problem.  If you can't cuss then at least let the guys get the aggression out another way.

Let me ask you this....is this going to improve the game at all?  Do you honestly feel people don't show up to basketball games because players cuss?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 04:06:19 PM »
The problem that I see with this rule is the built-in bias towards the elite players........
Here is items that have flown under the media radar but are also directives to the officials from the league:
Referees have been told to target three types of traveling: changing one's pivot feet; faking with one foot, then moving the other direction before the ball touches the court; and shooting off the wrong foot after a bunny hop. The league also wants to eliminate a lot of the jostling that goes on between players when they line up along the key for free throws.

The bolded part is my highlight...can you imagine every perimeter player in the league giving up this move?
I can only wish Sternfish would actually see to it the travelling crap et all gets cleaned up.  

Back to the swearing, yes rt i believe it is not too much to ask.
People like Nash have been doing it all their lives because that is what they have been allowed to do, becoming more pampered with each level of hoop they rose to.

Problem is as Lurker, westkoast and all of us wonder, will it be selectively enforced?  
Will it change the outcome of a playoff game?
Will player now bait other players into commiting?

Answer is of course yes to all 3.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »
The problem that I see with this rule is the built-in bias towards the elite players........

I can only wish Sternfish would actually see to it the travelling crap et all gets cleaned up.  

Back to the swearing, yes rt i believe it is not too much to ask.
People like Nash have been doing it all their lives because that is what they have been allowed to do, becoming more pampered with each level of hoop they rose to.

Problem is as Lurker, westkoast and all of us wonder, will it be selectively enforced?  
Will it change the outcome of a playoff game?
Will player now bait other players into commiting?

Answer is of course yes to all 3.
Yup the answer to all 3 is a solid yes.  Thank the lord Dennis Rodman is not still around, could you imagine how much fun HE would have with that rule?  He would score 10 points a night strickly off technical FTs.  They are going to favor certain players just like they always do with any rule.  Kobe and Wade are NOT going to sit on the bench for cussing.  Smush and Haslem will.

I don't think it is too much to ask.  The problem I really have is that it is a rule put into place to try to make people think they are taking alot of steps to clean up and improve the product of the game.  When in reality (no pun intended) it is really doing neither.  The game itself is not cleaner because it is not the cussing that is the problem.  The product is not more enjoyable for families because there is no cussing because it costs too much for a family to go.  Quite frankly when you take a family to an NBA game chances are you are not sitting close enough to hear cussing.