Author Topic: OT: Bush's negative ads towards Kerry  (Read 4700 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
OT: Bush's negative ads towards Kerry
« on: March 16, 2004, 11:50:18 PM »
Just wanted to get everyones thoughts on the last few ads that the Bush adminstration has run attacking John Kerry.  The latest an ad talking about how John Kerry doesn't support the troops overseas.  My personal opinion about the whole thing is that the Bush administration must be really scared if they are starting off the campaign with negative ads towards Kerry.  Even some democratic supporters had doubts about Kerry's chances against Bush this year......does Bush know something the rest of us dont?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:10:38 AM »
Well after 15 months of anti-Bush ads and rhetoric, I don't see anything concerning about a little hitting back.  It is about time.  As for Bush being concerned, he should be.  If you approach it any other way you are a fool.
As far as Kerry, is he going to actually stand for something other than being anti-Bush?  If that is all he stands for he will have no chance in a national election.  He has won the nomination because he is "electable", not for any over-arching agenda or vision.  So far he has been anti-Bush, and nothing more.  That will not be enough to win.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 12:25:25 AM »
Well after 15 months of anti-Bush ads and rhetoric, I don't see anything concerning about a little hitting back.  It is about time.  As for Bush being concerned, he should be.  If you approach it any other way you are a fool.
As far as Kerry, is he going to actually stand for something other than being anti-Bush?  If that is all he stands for he will have no chance in a national election.  He has won the nomination because he is "electable", not for any over-arching agenda or vision.  So far he has been anti-Bush, and nothing more.  That will not be enough to win.
Every single canidate who runs up against a president who is shooting for re election does what Kerry has done.......however I do agree that if he wants to get more serious he needs to worry about what hes doing and not what Bush isn't.  The reason I brought this up is because most people were counting Kerry out.....Bush having his staff put out negative ads like this so early might stir up some buzz for Kerry's campaign.  Im all for hitting back but this early in the election race?  You shouldnt start off a race looking over your shoulder when you are the front runner.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 09:15:12 AM »
Ziggy is right, Kerry needs to step up and stand for something. As far as the ads go, their is dirty, and thier is DIRTY. I think that's a ridiculous claim to say that Kerry dosen't support the troops. I don't buy Bush's motto "your either with us, or against us."  That reminds me too much of the redscare tactics employed during the 1950's.  

Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 01:31:21 PM »
Ziggy is right, Kerry needs to step up and stand for something. As far as the ads go, their is dirty, and thier is DIRTY. I think that's a ridiculous claim to say that Kerry dosen't support the troops. I don't buy Bush's motto "your either with us, or against us."  That reminds me too much of the redscare tactics employed during the 1950's.
What else would you expect from Bush except scare tactics.  He can't run on the economy, education, job growth or anything of real importance.  All he can do is wrap himself in the blanket of 9/11 and terrorist threats to get us to vote for him.  That's not going work on me.

ANYONE but Bush.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 01:39:45 PM »
There is more talk that Kerry is leaning toward asking Repub Sen. John MCain for the VP post.  That would be UNPRECEDENTED.
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 01:58:56 PM »
I read about that last week and my first thought was "AMAZING", my second, third, fourth and fifth thoughts where "not gonna happen".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 02:18:35 PM »
I read about that last week and my first thought was "AMAZING", my second, third, fourth and fifth thoughts where "not gonna happen".
Wouldnt the be a nice suprise.  I liked McCain but think of the party bs that will follow if a demo has a rep. VP.  Nice thought by Kerry but I have a better chance of winning the lottery.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 02:40:39 PM »
I think McCain would be a welcome addition to the ticket, he's more of a moderate Republican, think he could bring the focus back to the center instead of the extreme left and right.
Paul

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 02:47:27 PM »
I really don't think McCain would be interested, even if Kerry was. He already got a taste of what tactics Bush's henchman will employ to bring down their political opponents 4 years ago. I don't think he would put himself or his family through that nightmare again.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 02:49:42 PM »
I keep waiting for a politician to stand on the ISSUES rather than just flinging mud.  EVERY year it's the same old thing -- negative publicizing, criticizing, etc.  Why doesn't an opponent just stand up and state "I could respond to all the negative criticism my opponent is directing at me but I insist on standing on the issues and I believe that America should vote based on issues, not based on personality."  I'm disappointed in negative campaigns by Bush -- he needs to stand (or fall) on the issues not on mudslinging.

As far as ridiculing Kerry, please, I find it humorous that the Democratic party wants to make military service an issue to stand on these days -- they certainly didn't when Clinton was running, did they?  That tells me it's not about the issues -- it's all about political leverage.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 03:12:18 PM »
I really don't think McCain would be interested, even if Kerry was. He already got a taste of what tactics Bush's henchman will employ to bring down their political opponents 4 years ago. I don't think he would put himself or his family through that nightmare again.
He was asked and said he would be interested "on the record".  Not some rumor.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 03:14:25 PM »
He was asked and said he would be interested "on the record".  Not some rumor.
McCain for VP could work, but then again it could also be a huge mistake for Demos. If Kerry/McCain won, the Demos would be setting up a very strong opponent for President in 2008, if McCain didn't defect.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 04:42:46 PM »
Anyone who thinks the Democratic party is going to be "cool" with Kerry running with a Republic (and NOT a moderate Republican) as his VP is crazy.  I can hear staunch demo's groaning all over the country at that one.  What they gain by winning this year, they lose in their platform for the future.  It's a nice thought but that's about as far as it will go.  This just shows you that the "issues" aren't important to Kerry -- just winning the election.  Who wants a person as their VP who can't agree with you at all (of course, McCain could probably influence Kerry on most issues -- that has to make most Demo's feel good).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 10:56:37 AM »
So Im on my own here thinking that its a little early for Bush to be tossing mud?  The guy is clearly the favorite (and no I am not republican) of the two right now so why toss the mudd so early?  I would say the better strategy would be for Bush to let Kerry keep running his mouth and Bush worry about what hes doing....instead of what Kerry is not doing.  At least in this stage of the election.  Kerry crying about Bush constantly while Bush is putting out ads on specific issues would really trip Kerry up IMO.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 10:57:22 AM by westkoast »