Author Topic: Horry "Hakeem"  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Horry "Hakeem"
« on: March 16, 2004, 12:25:59 PM »
Coming from one who has played with both of them for years, Robert Horry is sorry to dissapoint you Most Duminant Ever chanters with his take.

Hakeem #1.  Shaq #2 so far, he wants more playing time before ranking Timmy Dunker.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Horry "Hakeem"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 12:39:53 PM »
Coming from one who has played with both of them for years, Robert Horry is sorry to dissapoint you Most Duminant Ever chanters with his take.

Hakeem #1.  Shaq #2 so far, he wants more playing time before ranking Timmy Dunker.
Your understanding of basketball is very limited if you don't know the difference between "best" and "dominant".

Dream is better than Shaq but I would take Shaq over Dream in a nanosecond.  However, there is a point where the difference between "dominant" gives way to "best" and that point is Kareem.  IMO Dream was "better" than Kareem but they are not in the same class, if that makes any sense.   :blink:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Horry "Hakeem"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 01:22:16 PM »
Dominant=bigger than everyone

Hakeem=better than everyone

I personally would take Hakeem over Shaq. Because to win the title, you eventually have to beat the most "dominant" player out there. And Hakeem made Shaq look silly most of the time; thus, I would rather have Hakeem, because Shaq never showed he could beat Hakeem.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

Horry "Hakeem"
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 01:36:57 PM »
Dominant=bigger than everyone

Hakeem=better than everyone

I personally would take Hakeem over Shaq. Because to win the title, you eventually have to beat the most "dominant" player out there. And Hakeem made Shaq look silly most of the time; thus, I would rather have Hakeem, because Shaq never showed he could beat Hakeem.
Actually, I would take Hakeem but not for the reasons listed above.  Shaq simply can't be stopped when he is healthy, in shape and motivated.  However, he is seldom in shape and motivated so I would take Hakeem.  IF you could take Shaq motivated and in shape, I'm not sure that GM's would take Hakeem over Shaq.  Why?  Because Shaq has very quick feet and would simply foul Hakeem out.  However, Shaq likes the power game rather than mixing it up with a bit of finesse and quickness which would foul out most centers in the league -- including Hakeem.  Hakeem was a decent post defender -- an excellent weak side defender and a great offensive player but, IMO, Shaq could guard Hakeem one-on-one but Hakeem couldn't guard Shaq the same way.  Before people start bringing up the past, remember that when they met, Shaq was a beginner and Hakeem was in his prime.  Shaq didn't hit his prime until several years ago and unfortunately, his lack of shape, conditioning and motivation didn't cause his prime to last more than a year, IMO.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Horry "Hakeem"
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 01:51:28 PM »
Great point Randy. Shaq's too lazy, and uses his punishing hits to move his opponents. His game is geared more to Rugby than basketball.  Akeem was just so smooth, and he had such a well rounded game.  KG reminds me alot of a young Akeem.
Paul

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Horry "Hakeem"
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 02:06:48 PM »
Mark me down as one who would take Hakeem Olajuwon over a healthy, motivated, in-shape Shaquille O'Neal in his prime.  Olajuwon didn't enflame other teams, wasn't a walking controversy, and didn't miss games in years where he was considered "healthy."  He didn't make comments about his GM, although he did voice a desire for the team to get better.  He wasn't a megalomaniac, and he didn't berate his teammates, and he didn't insist on hogging the spotlight when other players wanted a share of it.  He didn't play down his opponents, and he accepted his failures with grace.  He was business during the regular season, and he was business in the playoffs - and he took care of business instead of dismissing it as trivial "preparation."

Not only would I take Olajuwon, I'd want to play alongside of Olajuwon.  I could look up to Olajuwon;  I could respect Olajuwon.  He may not sell as many jerseys, nor make as many commercials, but he respected the game.  And that's more than I can say for Shaq.  Even in his prime.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!