Author Topic: NBA.com League?  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »
Just for giggles I tried signing up for an NBA.com league.  You guys can all log in and see how it looks:
http://ufc.nba.com/
Pass: 12345 (don't give it away, it's uber secret)

A few nice options:
- 'Stattracker' application is free.
- We can have divisions, if we want
- It has the ability to do keepers.  Meaning, come next year, we all will know who was on the rosters as the league carries over.
- Allows you to change the owner of a pick, so we can actually do legitimate pick trades.
- We can change the length of the playoffs.  I.e. make 3 rounds, 6 weeks.  Maybe lessening the impact of that last week of the season where it's a crapshoot who plays.

Anyway, login and check it out.  It would take near unanimous decision to change.  I've already set it up exactly like our yahoo league (same scoring settings).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 11:27:11 AM by dbodner »

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 06:47:29 PM »
I've looked at it, and with the added features (playoffs, keepers, free stattracker), I would say yes to a move to nba.com.

It's really nice.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 06:56:01 PM »
The move looks fine to me, assuming that we DO NOT go to divisions - at least not yet.  (And more importantly, not with the group of folks that are in my division.  Don't know what you were smoking when you set up those divisions, Derek, but if I were you, I'd stop, because it REALLY impairs judgement.)

The selling point for me is PICK TRADES.  That's something that I've always wanted to include - especially when you're staring down at the trade deadline, and you know you just need that ONE player to get you over the hump, but you don't want to give up your core - and even more especially because you know the Duncans and Nashes of your team won't be back next year.

I will say this, though:  I hate nba.com as a site.  In general, it's just awful.  But on the positive side, we're not stuck if we don't like nba.com - we can always go back to yahoo.com next year if we don't like it.

I say we move.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

NBA.com League?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:07:16 AM »
I'm cool with the move as long as you fix the draft order!  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 12:15:54 PM »
I like it
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »
Whatever dudes.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 01:59:50 PM »
I am really swamped at work this week and won't have time to check it out.  But I'll go with whatever the majority wants.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

lttk

NBA.com League?
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
I'll move if that's where you all want to go.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 11:06:58 AM »
Let's give it a shot then.

I think NBA.com has 'potential' to really fix some of the problems. Yahoo hasn't really addressed any of them in the last 4 years.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 01:47:01 PM »
Let's give it a shot then.

I think NBA.com has 'potential' to really fix some of the problems. Yahoo hasn't really addressed any of them in the last 4 years.
I agree Derek.  NBA.com has a lot of the added features Yahoo simply hasn't addressed.  I think a move could really be great.

By the way, is there any chance that the draft could be moved to Sunday the 22nd?  If not, it's okay.  I'm going to the Mizzou-K. State game Saturday, and being that it's college football, they won't announce game time until next week at the earliest.  The game could be at 11 AM, 1 PM, 2:30 PM or 6 PM, so I don't have the slightest idea as to when I'd be available.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 06:57:28 PM »
I work on Sundays.  If we move it, it would have to be like 10 am Sunday, heh

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 07:22:31 PM »
I work on Sundays.  If we move it, it would have to be like 10 am Sunday, heh
That's okay.  They should announce the game time by mid-next week.  Hopefully, it's at 11 AM.  If not though, would it be possible to move the draft time earlier Saturday?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 10:19:38 AM »
Guys this is URGENT.

The link at the top of this thread to the NBA.com fantasy league leads directly inside the account of Derek (Bods).  I know because the log-out option is available and I've been able to navigate within his account.  I've even changed the draft order (correctly), something I think only he (the commissioner) should be able to do.  

So unless you want me in your account trading Michael Redd for Moochie Norris, Derek, I would highly suggest erasing the link at the top of this thread and replacing it with something else.  :up:  

My other question is do we know how this draft system, pre-rankings, online application stuff works with NBA.com.  I don't really want surprises on Draft Day.  

And PLEASE, PLEASE post your keepers and make sure you move them onto the excluded list so that if you don't show up to the draft you won't be drafting other guy's keepers.        
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com League?
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 01:08:24 PM »
When the keepers are declared before the draft, they don't enter the pool of drafted players.

lttk

NBA.com League?
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »
I can't figure out how to get to the league without being Bods.