Author Topic: Eagle Vince Papale movie  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Eagle Vince Papale movie
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:56:43 PM »
I was totally looking forward to the movie of the 30 year old Vince Papale, no college ball who walked on at an open public Philly Eagle tryout in 1976 and made the team.  Played on special teams until 1978.  Was part of the Philly turnaround that came with Vermeil.
http://org-www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news...il.jsp?id=14989

A highlight:
Explaining his greatest memory on the coverage team unit, he said: "Against the Giants (my rookie season) I was coming down the field so hard that I made two Giant players collide with the punt returner and he ended up fumbling the ball and I recovered it. Our offense would score a touchdown on the ensuing series and we defeated them, 20-7, giving Dick Vermeil his first win as an NFL coach."

Marky Wahlberg Greg Kinnear cast as Vince Papale and Dick Vermeil.
Thanks for ruining my vibe, Disney.

Here is a trailer and some info.  August opening.
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808762853
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 12:10:13 AM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Eagle Vince Papale movie
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 03:01:43 AM »
Wt_?

Hollywood makes it look like he made it as a walk on in an open to the public try out.   Now i read:
Papale graduated from Philadelphia's St. Joseph's College (now University) on a track scholarship, because the university did not have a football team. In 1974, while bartending and substitute-teaching at Interboro High School, he successfully tried out for the Philadelphia Bell of the World Football League as a wide receiver. He played for the team for two seasons until the league folded in 1975.

His performance with that team earned him a meeting with Coach Dick Vermeil of the Philadelphia Eagles after general manager Jim Murray got him an invitation to a private work-out held by Coach Vermeil.

Rip offs!  Dabod and rt is the above true?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Eagle Vince Papale movie
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:25:09 PM »
Yes, Vince Papale played professional football before the eagles.  I believe he did take part in public tryouts, but he did play professional ball that was conveniently left out of the movie.  He also didn't live in south philly.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Eagle Vince Papale movie
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 11:27:43 AM »
Yes, Vince Papale played professional football before the eagles.  I believe he did take part in public tryouts, but he did play professional ball that was conveniently left out of the movie.  He also didn't live in south philly.
 :rofl: Disney doing its thing.
To me the whole idea of giving Joe Public a shot is what could have made this cool.
Now that I'm informed its just all Dizzey'd up. :rolleyes: Boo!

They went out of their way to makesets look like South Philly 1970s.  Greatjob of it too, altho i would like verification from rt or any old SoPhillys.  Dabods do you know which 'hood Papale was really from?

So if in real life he was invited to the private tryout 1st, then obviously the public tryout was all for publicity?  And that's what the movie portrayed.  After the 1st t.v. commercial ran, they showed Vermeil at home.  He asks his wife if it came off as a desperation move.  She said "A little" but very tongue in cheek.  Vermeil says "That's what has to be done.  I've got to get this community involved again." -paraphrase.  The movie gave NO inclination Papale was ever in semi pro ball or how he got so buffed up.  Guess we are to assume his part time bartending and substitute school teacher job got him ripped.  Because they cover all aspects of his life and never once is it ever mentioned or show about his working out.  Only jogging.  No mention that GM Jim Murray had already contacted him about a private workout.  (Or Murray contacted him after the tryout period.  In fact it was strange.  Marky Mark Papale outshined all the other would bees, not because he looked so good, but because the other wannabes were portrayed as pathetic.  Which i also find doubtful, that being that the streets of Philly did not produce some good public tryout people.)  Anywho, altho Papaple in the movie runs a 4.5 and they show Vermeil and the assistant coaches all mega surprised, plus he goes on to catch every ball thrown at him (ahaha camera work always has the ball just arriving to Marky Mark, you can tell some production extra is tossing it to him from 5 feet away like a loaf of bread :rolleyes: ) but continuing, no one, NO one not even Vermeil stops Papale after the practices.  Its over, his main assistant coach says "What a joke" to Vermeil and off goes Marky Mark to the Vet parking lot.  His car wont start so he hoists the hood.  Vermeil approaches him (yes in the parking lot for some odd reason no one is around the entire parking lot) and invites him back.  It's done in real cheesy Tasters Choice style.

Good points of movie.
The sandlot scenes of Marky Papale and his pals are so obviously rigged.  However once *Paple* makes the Eagles, the gameday shots were done very very well.  Super realistic, great camera work.  Even Marky Mark does very well in the gameday shots.
Whoever plays 6'8" Harold Carmichael looks very realistic, altho they only show him in pads, never in practice or locker room.

As for the dramatic play that Papale does recount, Dizzey dizzys it up big time.
dabods and rt just how much of this climactic play is made up by Dizney?
I'll put it in yellow just in case any of you go.

Real life Papale had written that he really did do a punt cover and pushed two Giants into the Giant punt reciever.  The push caused a domino effect that caused the Giant returner to fumble and Papale recovered and got downed (by touch after falling on it or by picking up the fumble, running then getting tackled Papale does not say)  Philly really did score on the next series and won Vermeil and Papales 1st game ever at The Vet.  Did not say how much time on clock when strip and subsequent Eagle series score occured.

Anywho here is how Dizzey spun it:
Tie game 30 seconds left.  Papale in on Punt Cover.  As the signals are being barked out, Marky Mark Papale does an audible.   Yep, *walk on* rookie Papale calls out an audible during the snap count.  A few other Eagles look at him like he is on crack, as does Vermeil and the Eagle bench.  Yet, they follow Marky Papales audible orders and they all shuffle left a few steps.  The ball is snapped.  The audible gives Marky Papale a clear unobstucted unblocked start downfield.  The returnee fields the ball, Papale strips him, recovers the strip and runs the ball in for the score.
[span style=\'color:yellow\']Backing up to Eagle Camp, movie shows Papaple and Thompson being the final cut.  One stays, one must go.  Every Eagle coach, 6 in all, vote for Thompson in Papale out.  Vermeil nods his head.  That night the wife and kids visit Vermeil at camp.  Vermeil informs wife that he is cutting media darling Papale altho he doesnt really want to.  He says Papale sure has the character to play.  Wife says something like "character is shown when adversity pressures."  Vermeil looks at her and says "Yep" thinking she is talking about Papale.  She says "No I mean you."  Vermeil gets it that she is telling him to follow his own saying and keep Papale even if the other 6 do not want him.  Thus Papale makes the team.

[span style=\'color:blue\']Dabod and rt is this true?
 If so Papale owes in large part Vermeils wife for making the team. :D [/span]

[/span]

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Eagle Vince Papale movie
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 11:29:19 AM »
C+ with the ending saving it from D.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Eagle Vince Papale movie
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 11:34:47 PM »
I'm the only one who saw this?

You guys gonna see it when it comes out on dvd?

Offline phillyfan

• View Profile
Re: Eagle Vince Papale movie
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 09:49:40 PM »
Just incase you were wondering 'what hood' Papale was from. He lived in Glenolden, PA. He wasn't from SouthWest, but Glenolden is in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Very close accually. Vince also went to Interboro Highschool.

It's funny how they said he was from SouthWest, when he wasn't.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
Just incase you were wondering 'what hood' Papale was from. He lived in Glenolden, PA. He wasn't from SouthWest, but Glenolden is in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Very close accually. Vince also went to Interboro Highschool.

It's funny how they said he was from SouthWest, when he wasn't.

Whatever part of Philly he was from, they made it look pretty grungy.

Not mentioning that he actually HAD gone to college, but did not play football while there, and that he played with the Philadelphia Bell (and...um... they did not get his correct Philadelphia neighborhood), was the story THAT far off?

He did make the Eagles in an open tryout, he did play special teams for them, he did some good work on special teams, and he was a bartender at the time of the tryouts. Oh, and he was thirty at the time.

Still made a compelling story, I thought.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 01:04:25 PM »

and that he played with the Philadelphia Bell (and...um... they did not get his correct Philadelphia neighborhood), was the story THAT far off?

He did make the Eagles in an open tryout, he did play special teams for them, he did some good work on special teams, and he was a bartender at the time of the tryouts. Oh, and he was thirty at the time.

Still made a compelling story, I thought.
"His performance with that team (Phil Bell) earned him a meeting with Coach Dick Vermeil of the Philadelphia Eagles after general manager Jim Murray got him an invitation to a private work-out held by Coach Vermeil."

While still a good "story", Diszey Corp embellished way too much.  That he did not make the Eagles in an open tryout is the final staw and dealbreaker for me.
I could sort of live with the other lies.

As to his hood, phllyfan what is the difference between Southwest and Glenolden as far as living arrangements?  Cause the movie made SWest look very low income disrepair, thus adding to the illusion of *poor Vinces* rise from down n outer to Eagle.

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 12:20:47 AM »

If you have ever been to Philly, you know that 'grungy' is urban 'Reality' there...LOL

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever

Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?