Author Topic: A rather in depth view of the draft  (Read 4667 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
A rather in depth view of the draft
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:12:34 AM »
One of the better draft evaluations I have read.

http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/0506ew17.htm

HOOPSANALYST

NBA Draft 2006: Draft Grades

by Ed Weiland (7/1/06)

These grades are based on how much a team helped themselves with deals involving this draft, whether they used the picks themselves or traded the pick this past year or several years ago. I give some credit for getting more value for a pick, but in general the grades are pretty much straight how much each team benefited from this draft. I included past trades in the equation, weighing what the team received against what might have been available with their pick. I also grade on a curve, meaning there will be 3 As and Fs; 6 Bs and Ds; and 12 Cs. The teams are in order from top to bottom of who benefited the most, so the teams at the top of the C group can be assumed to have gotten a C+, while the teams at the bottom can be assigned a C- if you wish. Likewise for the other groups.

A: Miami: The Heat used their 2006 draft pick as part of the stash that brought Shaquille O’Neal and an NBA title over from the Lakers. The Heat already got out of this draft what 29 other teams are still looking for.

A: Chicago: In exchange for Eddy Curry, the Bulls got Tyrus Thomas with the Knick’s pick, the right to switch #1s with the Knicks in 2007 and Michael Sweetney. They also draft Thabo Sefolosha and picked up Victor Khryapa in a swap of draft picks with Portland. The Bulls filled their two main needs and did it with a couple of great prospects. Don’t listen to the talk that Thomas is 2-3 years away. Thomas may not be complete as a player, but he’s ready to help out in a big way with rebounding and inside defense. Sefolosha is a multi-skilled player who adds good size and defense to a small backcourt. With this draft, John Paxson now has a good young player at every position and has them at least two-deep at PG, SG and PF. This looks like a team that, if kept together should contend for the next 5-10 years. This was brilliant work by Paxson and the Bulls, both in the players they drafted and they way they played hardball with the Knicks and the Blazers to squeeze a little more and pay a little less out of each transaction.

A Portland: LeMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy, Sergio Rodriguez and Joel Freeland. Sheesh, a lot went on there. The Blazers made some slick moves. They didn’t need Telfair with Jack around and Khryapa is just another salary off the books. Ratliff was aging and on the way out. They also get Raef Lafrentz’s contract for three more years, but spending money doesn’t seem to bother Paul Allen. I have mixed feelings on the players they drafted. I love Roy, but I feel Aldridge has a ways to go and may never get there. That said, some feel Aldridge is the best prospect in the draft and that has to be worth something. Rodriguez and Freeland are both solid developmental picks for late first rounders. I do like the look of this team a lot better now. Jack and Roy should form a strong backcourt and they have a lot of youth up front that could suddenly develop. In spite of the fact that they didn’t play their cards very well and they may have drafted a clunker in Aldridge, the Blazers improved themselves and their situation more than any team other than Chicago. They’re not in the playoffs yet, but they’re closer than they were and appear to have some direction.

B Utah: Ronnie Brewer. I still don’t understand why so many NBA people seem unimpressed with Brewer. It has to be more than that funky shot.  Here’s a player who can play any of the three perimeter positions, plays strong defense, is one of the best athletes in the draft, has great size and physical attributes and is a decent shooter. I don’t know what’s not to like here. I do know the Jazz got a steal at #14 and filled a need to boot. They also made a nice score in round 2, drafting Paul Millsap and Dee Brown.

B Charlotte: Adam Morrison. I’d have preferred Roy and I think most Bobcat fans will agree with that about 2 months into the season. But Morrison may have been the next best pick for them. They needed an outside scorer and Morrison might be the best one available. I also give them credit for taking Morrison ahead of Gay. Not that Ammo is that much better of a player than Gay, but he’s a better fit in this situation. Gay would have offered little in the way of immediate help. Morrison fills a need and should improve the Bobcats immediately.

B Atlanta: Shelden Williams. This is not as crazy as some have said. The Hawks have said they’re going to find a PG via trade. They have the pieces to deal, so that excuses them for not drafting Marcus Williams. SheldenWilliams is ready, productive and a great fit on a team that needed inside defense. Sometimes teams get weird about taking the player they want at a pick that seems too high. The Hawks obviously said: “screw that, Williams can help out immediately in an area we need help. We’ll take him and damn the naysayers.” Williams didn’t get enough credit from the experts. I doubt he’ll ever be an all-star, let alone a great player. But Williams will bring strong boardwork, good inside defense and some inside scoring to a team that was in need of all three things. The only player available who I would say was a clearly better prospect was Roy, and the Hawks already have Joe Johnson and Josh Childress.

B San Antonio: Dealt top pick as part of package for Nazr Mohammed. I don’t know if we can say definitively that Mohammed delivered the 2005 championship, but he was part of the rotation. This is what a team in the Spur’s situation should do with their assets, use them to put a contending team over the top.

B Boston: Rajon Rondo and Leon Powe. Also added Sebatian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and Brian Grant, while giving up Raef Lafrentz and Dan Dickau. The rumors are buzzing about an Iverson deal, so all this could be moot, but I’ll base my comments on what is now. The Celtics addressed two needs: depth at PG and inside defense. Ratliff and Grant aren’t close to what they once were, but each might be good for some occasional strong bench play and if a little something can rub off on Jefferson and Perkins, they’ll be worth having around. Telfair has only a year or two left on his rookie contract, so he’s not a huge risk and still has some upside. The rumor is they wanted Rondo all along, and if this is the case, credit is due for getting their guy and picking up a few pieces. They could have had Roy with the pick, but they also have Szczerbiak, Pierce and last year’s draftee Gerald Green on board, so it’s not like this was an area of need. Rondo was a good value pick for when they got him. The core of talent was kept intact and they bolstered some weak areas. All things considered, the Celtics did well for themselves.

B LA Clippers: In a roundabout way the Clippers got Corey Maggette in exchange for NJ’s 22nd pick. I have to give this a thumbs up. Maggette is an integral player on a contending team and that’s much more than what could have been expected at #22.

C Toronto: Andrea Bargnini. The question: Is Bargnini the best player available? He’s in the mix. I like everything he does from what stats I’ve seen, except the rebounding. I had him 5th,but a case could certainly be made for Bargnini as the top guy. Also to consider is the fact that Colangelo appears set on remaking the roster. He’s brought in Nesterovic for Bonner and Araujo, and a Villanueva for TJ Ford trade is being reported as a done deal. Without getting into analyzing the merit of these transactions, it appears Colangelo does have a plan here and Bargnini is prominently involved. There’s something to be said for taking the player you feel is the best and Toronto clearly got the guy they wanted.  But this is a team that as being completely rebuilt and if Bargnini isn’t the best player from this draft, Colangelo did the team and the fans a disservice by taking his guy. For the sake of the team, the hope is Colangelo didn’t just fall for Bargnini and toss his objectivity out the window.

C Houston: Shane Battier in a trade for the rights to Rudy Gay and Stromlie Swift. Nice move by Houston. Battier is one of those defense/intangibles players who will be a terrific teammate for Yao and McGrady. The downside is they dealt one of their two semi-effective power forwards in Swift and will need to address that this summer before they’re ready to get back to being a serious contender. I also give the Rockets credit for snagging Lior Eliyahu in round 2. He’ll stick in Europe for a season or two, but could be a very good player in the future.

C Seattle: Saer Sene. Sene may not be 100% ready to step in and play center. But he can rebound and block shots with the best of them and this is a good thing for the league’s worst defensive team to be looking to shore up. Seattle has taken a center in each of the last three drafts and I’m not sure that’s such a bad thing. Stockpiling young 7-footers makes sense, because good centers are in short supply and if a team is always carrying a couple of prospects, it increases their chances of coming up with a good one.

C Sacramento: Quincy Douby. Good pick that gives the Kings the shooter and backup PG they needed. They have drafted SGs for 3 consecutive years now, but Douby is a little different than Garcia and Martin. Douby can nail the trey as well as just about any player that was available. Throw in some PG skills and good defense and this pick looks like it could turn into a steal.

C Indiana: Shawne Williams and James White. They drafted a player who is similar to the player they drafted last season and plays a position they’re already two-deep at. They had their pick of the PGs, which was a definite need on this team and passed. Talentwise Williams was a good pick at this point. He’s a player with a lot of skill who might only require some serious time in the weight room before he makes an impact. White was also a good value for when they got him, even though he really doesn’t fill a need either. In the sense that they added to their overall talent base with just a couple of picks late in a weak draft, I give Indiana credit. I don’t like that the Pacers didn’t address the glaring need at PG when there were options available. But they do have some chips to deal with now, so it’s probably best to wait and see what happens here.

C New Orleans: Hilton Armstrong, Cedric Simmons and Marcus Vinicius. Simmons came with Dez Mason in the Magliore trade. They got some inside defense in Armstrong and Simmons, if very little rebounding. I was mildly surprised they didn’t take a SG, but inside help was a bigger need and with the failure rate of mid-first round draft picks being kind of high, cutting the odds in half by drafting two inside defenders isn’t a terrible idea. Magliore’s season in Milwaukee shows he’s clearly a player on the way down anyway, so getting younger and more athletic is probably a good tradeoff.

C New Jersey: Marcus Williams and Josh Boone. Williams was an absolute steal at this point. I think Greg Anthony hit it on the head when he compared Williams to Mark Jackson. Williams provides a strong backup, insurance should Kidd go down and could step right in and start, should they want to deal Kidd. Boone is sort of a reach, but there’s no doubting the need for inside help and he offers some.

C Golden State: Patrick O’Bryant. They get another center to help inside. It’s never a bad thing to take a center with some potential. O’Bryant has some skills and should be able to offer some immediate help with some inside grunt work and could pay off big time down the line if he can develop an offensive game. What the Warriors failed to do is address any weakness or change the chemistry of a team that had very little and this could keep them struggling, at least for the near future.

C Cleveland: Shannon Brown and Daniel Gibson. Nice drafting. Danny Ferry shows again that the LeBron era is in good hands. Last summer Ferry went out and got some good, solid veterans to surround LeBron and the team responded with 50 wins. In this draft he didn’t do anything earthshaking, but he did draft two players who were terrific value picks for when they were drafted. Both Brown and Gibson slid some because the group of shooting guards was pretty deep. Both can play and both will be nice to have around should Larry Hughes go down again.

C Memphis: Dealt Shane Battier for rights to Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift. Picked up Kyle Lowry and Alexander Johnson in the draft. I hate that they gave up Battier, but the Grizz redeemed themselves some with a couple of strong late picks. They added depth, defense and rebounding to a thin inside game with Swift and Johnson. Lowry gives them another PG and he may even start. They also get Gay, who is going to a good situation where he can be eased in and not put under immediate pressure, as he would have been in Charlotte, Minnesota, or Toronto.

C Phoenix: Sold or dealt all their picks. They still hold Atlanta’s #1 in 2007 from the Joe Johnson deal and received a #1 from Boston in 2007 in the Rajon Rondo deal. I have to hand it to the Suns here. It looked like they might be putting on a too cool for school act by dumping their picks, but there really was nothing that could help them that was available at that point. I suppose a PG would have been nice, but if Nash were to go down, it’s not like Rajon Rondo could rally the team to a title. They rid themselves of Brian Grant and saved money they would have paid the draft picks so they could keep Tim Thomas and Barbosa around. The 2007 draft is deep and talented, so the picks they’ve stockpiled there could have a huge payoff down the road.

C Milwaukee: Traded top pick for Magliore, picked up David Noel and Damir Markota in round 2. Magliore hasn’t worked out as well as they would have liked and is rumored to be on the block. He still might payoff down the road though, either in terms of getting back close to his all-star form, or in what he brings in a trade. Right now I’d call this deal a wash, because there wasn’t much available at 15 anyway. Noel and Markota were both good pickups in round two. Noel has all the makings of a defensive stopper and Markota looks like a usable 3-4 off the bench. The Bucks biggest need, to jump start Andrew Bogut, will be addressed over the summer.

D Orlando: JJ Redick. This is sort of a reach. Redick is the type of player who needs the right crowd around him and Orlando has some of that, but I’m not certain this is the best place for Redick or the best option for the Magic. They have an inside scorer in Dwight Howard and a potential defensive backstop in Darko Milicic, which are both necessary for Redick to have success. What’s missing is another wing scorer to attract defenses away from Redick, a player who doesn’t create that well and needs others to get him the ball. All things considered, a multi-skilled player like Sefolosha and Brewer was probably a better option.

D Philadelphia: Rodney Carney and a future #2: I feel that Sefolosha will be a better player than Carney. Possibly much better, so the trade is puzzling. I doubt a case could be made for Carney being the best player on the board at 13, but he does offer an athletic defender to contrast with Korver’s sniper. Some inside help seemed like a better option though.

D Dallas: Maurice Ager. Good pick for where it came. I don’t see that Dallas needed another swingman, but this draft was all about these type of players and the Mavs got a player with some value drafting late. Ager also might allow them to deal Marquis Daniels and getting something of value there. They really didn’t do anything to deserve a D, but we’re doing this on a curve and since Ager will only bring minimal help, the D stands.

D Minnesota: Randy Foye in a swap with Portland for Brandon Roy. They might as well trade Garnett now. If they’re not going jump all over a Brandon Roy when he’s there for them, what’s the point? Foye is a nice player who does some things well and should have a nice career backing up PGs and SGs all over the league. Roy is a likely ROY and a future all-star. If you look at their numbers from their senior years, there isn’t one thing Foye did better than Roy. Roy scored more often and more efficiently. Roy got assists, steals, blocks and rebounds at a higher rate. Roy got to the line more often and shot FTs better. Roy was a better 3-point shooter and had a better assist/TO ratio.  The gap in production between the two players is stunning, considering they were basically dealt straight up for each other. On top of everything else, the “next Wade” yolk has been tossed around Foye’s neck. Yeah, he needs that. Kevin McHale blew it and it’s really a shame. Garnett is one of the best players of this generation and because of poor management his career in Minnesota could end with a whimper.

D Washington: Oleksiy Pecherov. This seems like a reach to me. Pecherov doesn’t bring much other than a so-so outside shot and mediocre rebounding. I guess that makes him a nice occasional change-up at PF, but an immediate need wasn’t filled. This on a team that should have been looking for immediate help.

D Detroit: Gave up pick for Carlos Arroyo who was shipped to Orlando. Drafted Will Blalock and picked up Cheick Samb in round 2. Arroyo didn’t help much, but little was lost. Blalock has limited potential. Samb is a nice player to have the rights to, because he’s tall, 7’1” and has flashed some skill despite having a raw game. No immediate help to a team that’s suddenly looking mortal.

F New York: Renaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins. Collins pick was obtained in Nazr Mohammed deal, Balkman pick was originally Denver’s and got to the Knicks in the Jalen Rose-Antonio Davis trade. We all know about the Knick’s own #1 pick and how it went to the Bulls for Eddy Curry. We also all know about the disaster the Knicks have become and I won’t rehash all that here. I will say that Isaih Thomas, for all his faults as a GM, can still draft with the best of them. Despite all the squawking and giggling going on over these picks, Balkman and Collins are exactly what this team of mad bombers, weak rebounders and soft defenders needed. Both players play tough, hard defense, dive for loose balls and, in Balkman’s case, crash the boards. Sure Marcus Williams would have been a better pick, but Isaih has to improve this team in 2007. The owner announced this himself. A promising PG to sit behind Marbury and Francis would not have improved the team in 2007. A couple of defensive studs might. Whether it will happen is still shaky, but there’s good, sound logic here, based on the Knicks’ situation. I can’t give them any more than an F, because it was inexcusable not to get some sort of top 5 protection on the pick in the Curry deal. But these picks looked at by themselves, were smart choices and should help the team out.

F LA Lakers: Get Miami’s #1 in the Shaq trade and use it on Jordan Farmar. Also pick up Maurice Evans from Detroit for Cheik Samb and Danilo Pinnock for future considerations. Their own #1 went to Phoenix in a roundabout series of deals that I think netted them Chris Mihm. Obviously Jordan Farmar doesn’t make the Shaq trade OK. I can understand why the trade had to be made, but that doesn’t make it any less of a disaster. I also feel Farmar was a poor selection for the Lakers. He won’t fit in with the offense and may be too turnover prone to ever be any good anyway. Pinnock and Evans are both good pickups, but did the team really need a couple more defensive swingmen on their bench? The Lakers did nothing to improve themselves at a critical point for the team. They took a player who won’t help and might even hurt, due to his turnover problem, weak outside shooting ability and poor defense. Plus, the disastarous Shaq trade still looms over this selection.

F Denver: Gave up pick as part of Kenyon Martin deal. Since Martin hasn’t brought a lot to Denver and is now just another bad contract they’re desperate to dump, it’s hard to give Denver much credit for how they used their pick. Sometimes these things work out and sometimes they don’t. They didn’t lose much by giving up the 20th pick, but they hurt themselves quite a bit by giving a big contract to an injury-prone player.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:21:37 AM »
Pretty good read.  I pretty much agree with all of them.  Especially his take on what the Lakers did, or should I say, didn't do.

However, who did Miami pick up that was so great and shot them to the top of the list?  I thought Portland had the best draft of all the 'A' teams.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 10:31:25 AM »
I disagree with pretty much all of his points.  I've never liked hoopshype for analysis, personally.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 10:31:41 AM »
Shaquille O'Neal.

Oh - and before I forget, because I keep forgetting to mention this to you, Skander:

MIAMI is the team that Mike Gansey signed with.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:49:59 AM »

Low risk--High reward, a great move by Miami.  When you talk shooters, there were three prominent ones in this draft:  J.J. Redick, Quincy Douby, and Mike Gansey.  I'm surprised that Gansey's West Virginia teammate, Kevin Pittsnogle hasn't been picked up by anybody or has he?

-------------------------------------------------

I disagree with pretty much all of his points.

Right on, I was very underwhelmed by this article and disagree with about half of it.  

A: Miami

Giving the highest grade to Miami because they happened to throw their pick in to bring Shaq to Miami is cheesy.  The Lakers were forced into the trade by Shaq and Miami probably threw this in as an afterthough, I highly doubt it was a deal-breaker or maker.  

B Atlanta:

He gives Atlanta the 6th highest draft grade when they had a chance at Roy, Foye, and Marcus Williams to fill their PG needs, and used the money spent on Claxton to potentially resign Harrington.  He even admits Shelden may never be an All-Star, that's what a team goes after when you're selecting in the Top 5.  Ask the teams who drafted Sam Bowie, Shawn Bradley, Chris Mihm, and Tractor Traylor for need.  You DON'T DO IT!!  To say nothing of the fact that a PG like Foye/Williams IS a potential all-star AND fills a need.

B San Antonio:

7th highest grade!  Again, cheesy.  Only this time the player is Nazr for god's sake, not Shaq, compounding the cheesiness.  They just lost Nazr in free agency anyway, so the pick really was just thrown away.

B Boston:

Most of the details that make the Portland side of things good make the Boston side of things bad.  So he's contadicting himself here by giving both teams high grades.

C Seattle

No earthly idea why he's got Seattle in the top half of draft grades.  This clinched it for me that he didn't know what he was talking about.

C Indiana
C New Orleans
C New Jersey

Indiani didn't fill a team need and New Orleans and New Jersey did so he gives Indiana the higher grade.  I say filling team needs at this point is important because guessing which of the players picked #12 through #22 in any giving year is going to break out into an all-star is pure conjecture.  He states that its best to wait and see with Indiana using their talent base, but doesn't give Minnesota, L.A. Lakers, and Denver the same benefit of the doubt.

D Orlando: JJ Redick.

He says that Redick needs another a wing scorer to take some defensive pressure and a player who can get him the ball since he doesn't create.  I guess he's never heard of Jameer Nelson who fits BOTH of those bills.  Not to mention 15 ppg Hedo ain't a bad wing scorer, either.

D Dallas

Let's see here, they used their 28th selection to nab the best player from a strong program who has been torching the Vegas Summer League and absolutely reeks of the Josh Howard coup they pulled three years ago.  Yeah definitely a D... :rolleyes:

D Minnesota:

I agree that Roy was better, but Foye isn't chopped liver and putting everyone on notice.  

F Lakers:

He's low on Jordan Farmar, then again he's high on Lior Eliyahu, Damir Markota, Danilo Pinnock and Renaldo Balkman.  Excuse me if I don't take much stock in his projections.  
------------------------------------

Sorry Zig-meister, this was one of the worst draft articles I've read.  

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »
Shaquille O'Neal.

Oh - and before I forget, because I keep forgetting to mention this to you, Skander:

Ohhhhhhh.  I thought they were basing this strickly off who they drafted.  Not who they gave their picks up to get.  The way he worded it was like 'Miami got what all the other teams were looking for'......was anyone in the draft looking for a Shaq-esque player?  Was there even one anywhere in the draft?  That is the part that knocked me off course.

Since I am not very familiar with all the people who came from college ball I was mainly basing what I felt about this article on moves made with players I know and existing NBA players mentioned.

Even though I know Farmar and got to see him play first hand I still think his take on the Lakers drafting was on point.  I did not think they did a good job of going after players that the team needs.  Seems like they picked up players just to pick them up.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 12:02:21 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:00:59 PM »
B San Antonio:

7th highest grade!  Again, cheesy.  Only this time the player is Nazr for god's sake, not Shaq, compounding the cheesiness.  They just lost Nazr in free agency anyway, so the pick really was just thrown away.

Actually the best part of this deal is not adding another 3-4 year salary for a very low draft pick.  Also the reason Nazr left is that the Spurs refuse to give out a 5 year deal....the starting salary that Detroit offered is the same as what the Spurs offered.  Right now after the 2007-08 year the Spurs have only 3 players under contract: Duncan, Parker, Ginobili.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 01:59:28 PM »
I don't know about Farmar but I do know about Mitch Kupchak -- and the latest moves are going are longterm kiss of deaths for the Lakers, IMO.  

I don't see Mitch doing anything that brings any measure of confidence for the future of the Lakers.  The Lakers do have a lot of cap space available next year -- even more the following year.  I just question whether Mitch could actually assess talent -- I think he is just a puppet for whoever is pulling the strings (and I think there are probably multiusers on those strings).

And Lurker, while TD, Parker and Manu are good players -- I don't think planning a roster of three is a bit overconfident!  Losing Nazr was a mistake, IMO, there just aren't that many decent centers in the league today -- of course, the Spurs can always go with Fabs!   :rofl:  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 02:27:54 PM »
And Lurker, while TD, Parker and Manu are good players -- I don't think planning a roster of three is a bit overconfident!  Losing Nazr was a mistake, IMO, there just aren't that many decent centers in the league today -- of course, the Spurs can always go with Fabs!   :rofl:
Actually losing Nazr wasn't that big of a deal.  The guy has hands of brick, was worse than Fabs at rotating on defense and will drive the Pistons crazy.  The Spurs have 3 big men in Europe from prior drafts and are in the process of trying to bring one stateside.  Also with Duncan still playing the Spurs already have one of...if not the best...center in the league.   :D  

As far as the roster of 3....I would love to build a team around that roster of 3.  Especially when their combined salaries will be below the cap.  A couple reasonable FA signings as well as vets willing to play for the minimum....who knows.  

At least it is a lot better than building around Kobe, Odom & Brown.   :rofl:  :rofl:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 03:24:34 PM »
At least it is a lot better than building around Kobe, Odom & Brown.

Actually, Brown is done after this year and Odom is done in two years.  I STILL can't believe Odom is making $14 mill a year next year -- talk about a fat contract!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 11:25:55 AM »
I read that article and can't help but wonder why people actually think they can be such sound prognosticators on the future careers of these kids. This draft in particular is pretty much impossible to predict how each of these players will pan out.

But I can't fault him for listing Miami #1. They traded their pick as part of the deal for O'Neal and they ended up winning the championship. Since that is the whole point, and Shaq DID contribute to winning the title, yeah, they got what all NBA teams would want from their draft pick.

But this guy seems to be randomly sliding his grading scale to suit his whim. I would like to compare his grades in about three years to see how far off he really is on this.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A rather in depth view of the draft
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
This is an old post.  I referenced a guy who I think does a pretty good job of predicting success or failure of players in the draft.  He happens to live only 45 miles from me, but I have never met the man.  Anyway he was all the rage over the last couple of weeks, based upon his Jeremy Lin evaluation.  Of course you could say a broken clock is right twice a day, but I believe he is one of the better draft predictors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/sports/basketball/jeremy-lins-potential-foreseen-by-ed-weiland-of-hoopsanalyst-site.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/02/16/jeremy-lin-popularity-crashes-hoops-analyst-blog/
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: A rather in depth view of the draft
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »
I don't consider "RSB" either a particularly advanced statistic or a good measure of predicting success translating to the next level.  The amount of noise with NCAA statistics with the discrepancy in SOS limits stats effectiveness as a predictor of future success.