Author Topic: OT: A legend died Friday  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
OT: A legend died Friday
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 05:57:13 PM »
Many people suspected that his hang around friends were lacing his food with even more LSD than he was already taking, he got to the point when they were playing in the London Underground where he would just stand on stage and play one note over and over and over, and then spend 20 minutes detuning his guitar. It had become an unworkable situation, David would step in and they would start playing over him, it got to the point where they wouldn't tell him when they had a gig and David would coome in and play lead. Syd would find out and show up at the gigs and sit in front of the stage and just glare at Roger Waters, but the band really had no choice, Syd was totally gone by this time. At about this time Tim Renwick started sitting in with the band and actually performed a lot of uncredited work on Atom Heart Mother and pretty much became their studio musician and toured with them everywhere, it is him playing acoustic guitar on Wish You Were Here. When they were recording that particular song for the album, who walks into the studio but a disheveled, dirty, and totally incoherent Syd Barrett, strange indeed. Shine On was a direct tribute to Syd and after Syd's "friends" had drained his finances, the band set up a trust and made sure no one could touch his royalties from the 2 Floyd albums, the 2 solo's and all the songs he wrote that they ultimately recorded. HE actually was living a fairly comfortable quiet Englishmens country life when he died.

I too read what David Bowie said about Syd, I had known for years that he credited him with being the absolute biggest influence on his music, I guess that's why Bowie is such a huge Flaming Lips fan.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:59:56 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 07:50:12 PM »
John Lennon said he himself did perhaps a thousand, certainly hundreds of hits of acid.  He said it definitely affected he George and Ringo whom also took.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 12:24:01 AM »
Dan, what are your thoughts on seeing Roger Waters in Oct. at the Hollywood Bowl?  Are you anti b/c Gilmour won't be there?

I'm kind of torn b/c I'm such a huge fan of Gilmour's playing.  He's one of my all time favorite guitarists.  It would seem wierd to me to hear someone else playing those leads essentially stealing the wonderful tone that Gilmour created.  It just doesn't seem right.  

[/quote]
 Did you two snooze on a chance to see Waters and Pink (David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright) together?

"It has been confirmed that Roger Waters will join Pink Floyd to perform at the Live8 concert in Hyde Park on 2nd July."
David Gilmour made the following statement:
“Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world. It’s crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations. Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it’s got to be worthwhile.”

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/home/14.html

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 10:58:33 AM »
Did you two snooze on a chance to see Waters and Pink (David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright) together?

"It has been confirmed that Roger Waters will join Pink Floyd to perform at the Live8 concert in Hyde Park on 2nd July."
“Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world. It’s crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations. Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it’s got to be worthwhile.”

Reality, I saw it on TV, they played three songs (or at least that's what they showed on MTV).  I'm a fan of Pink Floyd, but I wasn't prepared to fly to London to see them play a couple of tunes at a benefit festival.  There are a ton of other bands I like more that play around these parts frequently (Radiohead, Beck, White Stripes, The Raconteurs, Flaming Lips, Black Crowes, Pixies, Wolfmother, etc, etc.)  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 11:11:01 AM »
http://www.pinkfloyd.com/home/14.html[/URL]
Reality, I saw it on TV, they played three songs (or at least that's what they showed on MTV). [/quote]
 London for 3 songs?  No way.

For some reason i recall having read that it was to have been in Chicago and was a full on show.  Now i cannot recall where i read it, and Gilmores blog gives no indication of anything happening on July 2nd in London or Chi, altho since you saw the televised show it did happen.

Okay.  Technical malfunction.  Sorry.  We now return to your regularly scheduled thread on Pink Floyd.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »

Reality, I saw it on TV, they played three songs (or at least that's what they showed on MTV).  I'm a fan of Pink Floyd, but I wasn't prepared to fly to London to see them play a couple of tunes at a benefit festival.  There are a ton of other bands I like more that play around these parts frequently (Radiohead, Beck, White Stripes, The Raconteurs, Flaming Lips, Black Crowes, Pixies, Wolfmother, etc, etc.)
I saw Wolfmother at coachella this year and thought they did a good job.  Pretty much unknown to most of the  crowd, as you can tell by no one singing along but everyone vibing, they did a heck of a job on stage.  Between all of us being in a tent and it being 400 degrees they really got the crowd to connect with them.  Amazing seeing how early in the day it was and how they are not a popular band by anymeans.  Sure they sound like Black Sabbath 2k6 but heck, hell of alot better then sounding like Blink 182!

Msc, did you buy the new CD?  What is your take on it?  I just bought it the other day but have not even had a chance to open it up yet.  When I buy CDs it is weird because I only purchase music on vinyl so that is why it is still in the shrink wrap lol
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 11:16:48 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 11:32:57 AM »
I saw Wolfmother at coachella this year and thought they did a good job.  Pretty much unknown to most of the  crowd, as you can tell by no one singing along but everyone vibing, they did a heck of a job on stage.  Between all of us being in a tent and it being 400 degrees they really got the crowd to connect with them.  Amazing seeing how early in the day it was and how they are not a popular band by anymeans.  Sure they sound like Black Sabbath 2k6 but heck, hell of alot better then sounding like Blink 182!

Msc, did you buy the new CD?  What is your take on it?  I just bought it the other day but have not even had a chance to open it up yet.  When I buy CDs it is weird because I only purchase music on vinyl so that is why it is still in the shrink wrap lol
I saw them a month or so ago at the Henry Fonda Theater in Hollywood and they brought the house down!  Not sure if you've been there, but it's a great old art-deco theater that holds maybe 900 people, standing room only (i.e., no seats).  I missed Coachella this year as I had a wedding and I wasn't that fired up on most of the bands, but they were one I wanted to check out.  They are playing the San Diego Street Scene this summer as well, if you're interested.  

I do have the album and I dig it.  It's straight-foward classic rock with a bit of a modern, indie edge.  It definitely borrows heavily from Zeppelin, Sabbath and Blue Cheer with a pinch of Grand Funk thrown in for good measure.  I'm not sure it will sustain the test of time in my cd player, but I'm enjoying cranking it in the car while I'm weaving through LA traffic this summer.  I'm an aspiring rock star in my other life, so I really respect bands, like Wolfmother, that can create simple, straight forward rock, with a fresh take on an old formula.  It doesn't have to be complicated to be good. Every time I hear someone do that, I'm like "why couldn't I do that?  Hey .. I could do that!".  It gives me hope.  But I haven't and that is why I'm still slaving away at my day job and they're selling millions of records.  D'oh!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 12:42:09 PM »
I saw Wolfmother at coachella this year and thought they did a good job.  Pretty much unknown to most of the  crowd, as you can tell by no one singing along but everyone vibing, they did a heck of a job on stage.  Between all of us being in a tent and it being 400 degrees they really got the crowd to connect with them.  Amazing seeing how early in the day it was and how they are not a popular band by anymeans.  Sure they sound like Black Sabbath 2k6 but heck, hell of alot better then sounding like Blink 182!

Msc, did you buy the new CD?  What is your take on it?  I just bought it the other day but have not even had a chance to open it up yet.  When I buy CDs it is weird because I only purchase music on vinyl so that is why it is still in the shrink wrap lol
I saw them a month or so ago at the Henry Fonda Theater in Hollywood and they brought the house down!  Not sure if you've been there, but it's a great old art-deco theater that holds maybe 900 people, standing room only (i.e., no seats).  I missed Coachella this year as I had a wedding and I wasn't that fired up on most of the bands, but they were one I wanted to check out.  They are playing the San Diego Street Scene this summer as well, if you're interested.  

I do have the album and I dig it.  It's straight-foward classic rock with a bit of a modern, indie edge.  It definitely borrows heavily from Zeppelin, Sabbath and Blue Cheer with a pinch of Grand Funk thrown in for good measure.  I'm not sure it will sustain the test of time in my cd player, but I'm enjoying cranking it in the car while I'm weaving through LA traffic this summer.  I'm an aspiring rock star in my other life, so I really respect bands, like Wolfmother, that can create simple, straight forward rock, with a fresh take on an old formula.  It doesn't have to be complicated to be good. Every time I hear someone do that, I'm like "why couldn't I do that?  Hey .. I could do that!".  It gives me hope.  But I haven't and that is why I'm still slaving away at my day job and they're selling millions of records.  D'oh!
I've seen an underground hip hop group by the name of Atmosphere at that venue.  Great spot to go see bands.  Especially cool if you go to the roof to get some drinks, they project what is going on live upstairs.  

They were pretty good at Coachella you missed out!  Not sure what kind of music you are into but most of the main acts on the day Wolfmother played were pretty good.  I don't even like the kind of music Daft Punk does but that was a heck of a set too.

Ditto on everything you said about them.  When we were listening to them you could hear their influences clearly.  They make no secret about who gives them the inspiration to make music.  To me, even though they are taking an old formula and doing slight changes to make it sound newer....it still sounds 100% fresh.  I hate to sound like some of the older men on the board here but <insert geezer voice> when I was a child there seemed to be alot more bands making great rock n roll.  Too much cookie cutter rock is really hurting the genre.  I don't know very many places to go to hear/read about new rock acts online.  Usually I just stumble on them at shows like Coachella or those type of festivals.  Or word of mouth.

If you are saying good things about the album then it looks like I need to hurry up and rip the shrink wrap off the CD.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 12:43:14 PM by westkoast »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »

They were pretty good at Coachella you missed out!  Not sure what kind of music you are into but most of the main acts on the day Wolfmother played were pretty good.  I don't even like the kind of music Daft Punk does but that was a heck of a set too.

Ditto on everything you said about them.  When we were listening to them you could hear their influences clearly.  They make no secret about who gives them the inspiration to make music.  To me, even though they are taking an old formula and doing slight changes to make it sound newer....it still sounds 100% fresh.  I hate to sound like some of the older men on the board here but <insert geezer voice> when I was a child there seemed to be alot more bands making great rock n roll.  Too much cookie cutter rock is really hurting the genre.  I don't know very many places to go to hear/read about new rock acts online.  Usually I just stumble on them at shows like Coachella or those type of festivals.  Or word of mouth.

If you are saying good things about the album then it looks like I need to hurry up and rip the shrink wrap off the CD.
I know, I love going to Coachella to discover new acts and see some great ones I'm already familiar with.  I would have gone last year if not for a wedding I had to attend.  I've gone the prior several years and had a blast.  I love all kinds of music (jazz, blues, hip-hop, raggae, funk, metal, folk, alternative), but mostly I listen to, play, and go see rock oriented bands.  Behind my family, friends and job, music is my life. <edit: oh yeah, and Laker B-ball of course! I forgot where I was for a minute)>
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 12:58:45 PM by msc »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 09:32:51 AM »

They were pretty good at Coachella you missed out!  Not sure what kind of music you are into but most of the main acts on the day Wolfmother played were pretty good.  I don't even like the kind of music Daft Punk does but that was a heck of a set too.

Ditto on everything you said about them.  When we were listening to them you could hear their influences clearly.  They make no secret about who gives them the inspiration to make music.  To me, even though they are taking an old formula and doing slight changes to make it sound newer....it still sounds 100% fresh.  I hate to sound like some of the older men on the board here but <insert geezer voice> when I was a child there seemed to be alot more bands making great rock n roll.  Too much cookie cutter rock is really hurting the genre.  I don't know very many places to go to hear/read about new rock acts online.  Usually I just stumble on them at shows like Coachella or those type of festivals.  Or word of mouth.

I know, I love going to Coachella to discover new acts and see some great ones I'm already familiar with.  I would have gone last year if not for a wedding I had to attend.  I've gone the prior several years and had a blast.  I love all kinds of music (jazz, blues, hip-hop, raggae, funk, metal, folk, alternative), but mostly I listen to, play, and go see rock oriented bands.  Behind my family, friends and job, music is my life. <edit: oh yeah, and Laker B-ball of course! I forgot where I was for a minute)>
If you get some gigs in LA let me know, If I am in town I'll have to come out and fill up a seat or three with some friends.

You know another good spot to find new rock bands is actually myspace, as lame as that sounds.  They usually have features when you go to login and of course people can add songs from band pages.  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 06:27:19 PM »

If you get some gigs in LA let me know, If I am in town I'll have to come out and fill up a seat or three with some friends.

You know another good spot to find new rock bands is actually myspace, as lame as that sounds.  They usually have features when you go to login and of course people can add songs from band pages.
Thanks westkoast.  I play in two bands right now and we mostly just play bars at this point.  It's really just a fun hobby for me and stress relief from my day job; i.e., I don't have any delusions of "making it".  One is basically a hack cover band and the other, Intervention, is a newer group that I play with.  We've written all of our own stuff and we're just starting to gig around town.  We actually have one tonight at Rusty's Surf Ranch on the SM Pier.  I know all about myspace ... although it can be cheezy, it's actually a really good tool for wanna-be musicians like myself to share their music on a site for free.  Here's Intervention’s myspace, if you want to check it out:  http://www.myspace.com/interventionband

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT: A legend died Friday
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »
Laker Fan Dan,

Is talk of Pink Floyd reuniting in 2010 just talk?  (Just like the 2009 talk turned out to be).
Seems Gilmor is the one who consistently says "No".

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT: A legend died Friday
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 04:47:09 PM »
Laker Fan Dan,

Is talk of Pink Floyd reuniting in 2010 just talk?  (Just like the 2009 talk turned out to be).
Seems Gilmor is the one who consistently says "No".

Hey Reality, Laker Fan Dan is much more of a Floyd expert than myself, but I'll chime in with my two cents.   

I don't think a Floyd reunion tour will ever happen and yes you're right that David Gilmour is the reason.  He and Roger Waters are not fans of each other and while it seems they've both made some comments that they're okay with each other in recent years, I don't think Gilmour will ever back to playing with him.  I think Gilmour views Roger as an ego-maniac, control freak and the reality is that they both probably have a little bit of that.  I also think a contributing factor is that Gilmour has had a successful solo career and doesn't really need Pink Floyd.  Sure he plays some Floyd songs during his solo concerts, but he's not relying on them solely as he has a lot of solo material that stands on its own.  The same can't be said for Rogers who hasn't done much solo-wise since PF.  When you think about it, the only reason most of these dinosaur rockers who hate each other (see Eagles & Fleetwood Mac) reunite is because they've run out of money.  Gilmour hasn't, so he doesn't need to make nice in order to keep up his lifestyle.