Author Topic: Iverson refuses to play from bench  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Iverson refuses to play from bench
« on: March 15, 2004, 12:48:56 PM »
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) - Allen Iverson said he was ready to play in Sunday's 85-69 loss to the Detroit Pistons but changed his mind after 76ers coach Chris Ford told him he'd come off the bench.
"I'm a starter. I've been a starter here for eight years. I'm not a sixth man," Iverson said after the game. "I'm a starter. I know in this league ... if someone comes back from an injury, if he's a starter he starts. What's the difference? If you're going to cut my time down, cut my time down. It doesn't make any difference. I'm a starter."

Iverson has been hampered by a swollen right knee, which caused him to miss three straight games before Sunday. The league's second-leading scorer participated in the shootaround before the game but was on the Sixers' bench in street clothes at tip-off.

After the game, he said he "was already taped and everything and had my uniform on. I had to take it back off, so that was rough."

"I feel real disappointed because I told the trainers I was going to play," Iverson said. "He (Ford) said I hadn't run up and down the court, and he wasn't sure about my conditioning."

Ford and Iverson have had a rocky relationship since the coach replaced the fired Randy Ayers on Feb. 9.

"I didn't know he was going to attempt to play until how much time was left on the (pre-game) clock? Not much," Ford said. "From my understanding and what I was told yesterday after his workout, I'm going to look out for A.I. and the team. Somebody's got to make decisions around here."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More evidence that the end is near for Iverson in Philly?  It appears that a choice between AI or Ford will have to be made this summer.  This could make it tough for Philly to get fair value in a trade.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 12:54:26 PM »
This AI-Chris Ford marriage attempt is going so well.

Has the Philly mayor attempted to do the SF thing there also?  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 01:19:09 PM »
Im with Iverson on this one 100%.....Hes a starter, a premier player, and by far the best player on this team.  Why would he come off the bench?  Just like AI said....if you are gonna limit his minutes then limit his minutes but dont have him come off the bench like a 6th man.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 01:32:11 PM »
Don't you see what's gonna happen??  

Kobe is going to Philly, and AI is going to LA.  
Paul

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 02:04:31 PM »
It appears that a choice between AI or Ford will have to be made this summer.

Chris Ford has already said he has no interest in being a head coach in the nba, let alone for the sixers.  He doesn't want the job.

So the choice is if we want to keep AI, ford is irrelevant.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 02:41:28 PM »
It appears that a choice between AI or Ford will have to be made this summer.

Chris Ford has already said he has no interest in being a head coach in the nba, let alone for the sixers.  He doesn't want the job.

So the choice is if we want to keep AI, ford is irrelevant.
So with all the people who do want to coach, including Afro-Amers, another white bread retread takes up a spot just to then say the above?   :ph34r:

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 04:32:23 PM »
takes up a spot just to then say the above?

He was hired as an interim coach.  Someone whom was competent (prior head coaching experience) and finish off the season and then they can do the search in the offseason.  99% of all coaching spots "filled" during season our in-staff hires, chris ford accepted the role with everyone knowing from the beginning that it was only temporary.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 04:41:24 PM »
So does Iverson get to "approve" the next coach before he is hired?   Or will the Sixers wait until the same type of issues arise next year if AI doesn't see eye to eye with the new coach?  Claiming that Ford is just an interim coach doesn't resolve the problem of Iverson thinking he is bigger than the team/coaching staff.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 04:45:24 PM »
The only man that could coach AI is BILL PARCELLS!
Paul

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 09:10:11 PM »
o does Iverson get to "approve" the next coach before he is hired? Or will the Sixers wait until the same type of issues arise next year if AI doesn't see eye to eye with the new coach? Claiming that Ford is just an interim coach doesn't resolve the problem of Iverson thinking he is bigger than the team/coaching staff.

I wasn't claiming that ai wasn't wrong, nor was i saying that finding a coach (and especially one who will work with iverson) isn't a problem.  I simply said the already-developed rift between iverson and ford isn't an issue for the future of this team.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »
He was hired as an interim coach.  Someone whom was competent (prior head coaching experience) and finish off the season and then they can do the search in the offseason.  99% of all coaching spots "filled" during season our in-staff hires, chris ford accepted the role with everyone knowing from the beginning that it was only temporary.
I did not realize he was hired to be an interm coach.  Here in SoCal we don't get Philly info.  Nor do we on the board  :lol:
Well we do now.

So dabods, how much if any are the chances of an AI trade?

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 10:41:51 AM »
The Associated Press is reporting that Iverson's days in Philly are numbered and that he may end up in San Antonio:

My Webpage

Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 10:44:08 AM »
[size=8]Sorry, bad link, heres the article[/size]

Iverson's Days are numbered.

Allen Iverson's reign of error is coming to a close in Philadelphia.

Come summer, look for the 76ers to deal him to a team that can afford him and is willing to tolerate the baggage that now outweighs his points.

The bidding is not likely to be fierce, even if the 76ers throw in five years' supply of aspirin for the next coach.

That's not to say there won't be several teams interested in Iverson and his 27 points- per-game career scoring average -- second among active players to Shaquille O'Neal's 27.2.

Plenty of teams could use a scorer like that. The question is whether they want his attitude, his selfishness, his injuries and his $91.4 million salary over the next five years. For many teams, Iverson may not be The Answer.

The other stumbling block in any trade is whether another team has the player or players Philadelphia will want in return, though at this point the 76ers are likely to settle for less simply to end a relationship that has gone sour.

The Sixers and Iverson know it's time to say goodbye, to give up on the pretense that they're all one big happy family. Iverson found a home in Philadelphia, built a mansion and had an adoring fan base. But all the reasons for staying are giving way to greater reasons for leaving.

The Sixers have gone as far as they can with him -- they reached the NBA finals three years ago -- and they're on the down slope now as they drift out of playoff contention.

Iverson will turn 29 in June after eight seasons in the league, all in Philadelphia, but his lifestyle, size and high-impact game may age him prematurely. He's missed 22 games so far this season with various injuries and ailments.

He wore out Larry Brown, rode over Randy Ayers and now is butting heads with no-nonsense interim coach Chris Ford.

The latest clash came Sunday when Iverson, out for three straight games with a swollen right knee, refused to come off the bench after Ford told him he wouldn't start against the Detroit Pistons.

Iverson stripped off his tape, changed out of his uniform and watched from the bench in street clothes as his team got pummeled 85-69.

"I'm a starter. I've been a starter here for eight years. I'm not a sixth man," Iverson said, his ego bruised more than his knee.

Ford wasn't buying into Iverson's rant and wasn't about to let him get away with doing whatever he liked. In Ford's mind, if Iverson couldn't run full court in practice, he wasn't ready to start in a game.

"I was concerned that if he would go out there and try to play, we could now lose him for another five games down the road," Ford said. "I want to see him get out there and compete and go up and down in a scrimmage first. I'm looking out for the good of A.I., plus the good of the team. That's what my job is to do. Somebody's got to make decisions around here."

Ford and Iverson have had a rocky relationship since the coach replaced Ayers on Feb. 9. Ford has fined Iverson twice, first for missing a practice, then for missing a home game, both times because Iverson didn't personally call to explain his absence.

Call that bullheaded on Ford's part or call it brave. Ford's days with the Sixers may be numbered, too, but he deserves coach of the year consideration for standing up to Iverson.

Whether Ford stays or someone else comes in, the end seems near for Iverson in the city that is losing its brotherly love for him. By midday Monday, a poll by the Philadelphia Inquirer asking fans to vote on who was wrong here -- the Sixers, Iverson or both -- had 72 percent saying Iverson, 16 percent the Sixers and 12 percent both.

So where else might Iverson play next season?

At least three teams are possible contenders: Atlanta, San Antonio and the Los Angeles Lakers.

Atlanta has a shot, with tons of salary cap room after cleaning house. Under new ownership, the Hawks are desperate for a box office draw to fill thousands of empty seats.

If the wheels fall off the Lakers -- Kobe Bryant could leave as a free agent and so could several other players and coach Phil Jackson -- Iverson might find himself taking his act to Hollywood and teaming up with O'Neal.

Strangely, though, the best place for Iverson might just be the most unlikely: San Antonio.

The Spurs have salary cap room and might look to make a deal for Iverson if they don't win the championship again. They could even get him at an affordable price because they could take on his contract without having to trade back an equivalent amount of salary.

San Antonio is a city of straight arrows, from coach Gregg Popovich to superstar Tim Duncan. Yet, it is there, perhaps, that Iverson might be able to park his ego a bit, holster his shooting hand a little, and flourish with a chance to win a championship ring.

He and the Sixers know that won't happen in Philadelphia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilstein is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at swilstein(at)ap.org  
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2004, 12:21:49 PM »
When I-Me-son voiced all his accolades (former all star, 3 time skorin champiyon, MVP blah blah blah) and therefore how *dissing* it was to ask him to come off the bench (for ONE game) since he only declared himself ready for the game just prior to the game, Iverson rhetorically asks "who else has done this?"

Larry Bird for one.  Came off the bench for almost a month.

Anybody else remember stars who temporarily came off the bench FOR THE GOOD OF THE Team?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 12:22:28 PM by Reality »

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 07:20:39 PM »
I'm siding with AI in this this case. There is no reason that Ford could not have put him as a starter, with the provision that AI might have his minutes limited if it looked like AI was impaired. AI might not have been thrilled about that compromise, but he would have dealt with it. Ford deliberately inflamed this situation because he view AI as a bad ass who needs to be broken. The business about needing AI down the road is an excuse made up after the fact because it's clear the Sixers are not going to make the playoffs.

Since Ford took over the coaching chair, there have been several public flare-ups. I lay the blame for that squarely at the feet of both the new coach and AI. AI should have called the coach directly to report he wouldn't be at practice/playing once he knew that that was the coach's policy. And the coach needs to drop the bad-cop attitude and try to see the situation from AI's point of view too. AI had every reason to think he would come back as a starter. At least 75% of the head coaches in the NBA have their starter come back as starters, even if they limit their minutes initially. This is even more so the case if the player is just returning from a minor injury.