Poll

Should Robert Horry be considered for the NBA Hall of Fame?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Should Robert Horry be a Hall of Famer?  (Read 3665 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Should Robert Horry be a Hall of Famer?
« on: March 14, 2004, 10:57:36 PM »
Once he retires of course, Should Robert Horry be considered for the NBA Hall of Fame?
Yes
No
Undecided

Paul

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 01:33:41 AM »
Sure once he should be considered for the hall of fame, and then in 3 seconds the answer becomes a resounding no.  Not a chance.  Yes he has a lot of rings, and he was an important member of a lot of good teams.  But if Robert Horry goes in the so should

Kurt Rambis
Norm Nixon
AC Green
Michael Cooper
Steve Kerr
Horace Grant
Ron Harper
Kenny "The Jet" Smith
Sam Cassell
Otis Thorpe
Vinnie Johnson
Bill Laimbeer
Rick Mahorn
Danny Ainge
Dennis Johnson
ML Carr
Malik Rose
Derek Fisher
Brian Shaw
Rick Fox
Was his contribution any greater for his team than each and everyone of the players above?  he was an important role player just like all of these guys.
The only reason to consider Horry is because he has a lot of rings.  That is the only reason.  If Horry is given serious consideration only because of that then the following players shouldn't be considered

Charles Barkley
John Stockton
Karl Malone
Patrick Ewing
Chris Mullin
That is almost 1/2 the dream team for goodness sake.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 09:57:34 AM »
Well said, ziggy.  Horry has been a great role player but the hall of fame shouldn't honor role players.  I don't feel inclusion should be as strict as the polar bear often calls for but solid career role players shouldn't get in.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 12:01:27 PM »
I agree with Ziggy....as much as I love Robert Horry to death the league would have to let in alot of other quality role players who helped their teams win championships.

He deserves it but so does the list Ziggy tossed up.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 12:23:01 PM »
I voted no but I definately think the Lakers should retire his jersey.  He saved alot of playoff games with last second heroics on both ends of the court but most noteably behind the arc.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 12:59:58 PM »
LAKERS retire his jersey?  NO CHANCE.  Houston should have that distinction.
Paul

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 02:08:12 PM »
No way, Sorry.

Since we have a consensus among the people who commented, how about hearing form the 3 people who said yes?

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 02:16:19 PM »
I said Yes based on his contributions to his teams. I put him right up there Steve Kerr, that guy is just deadly when he's on the line.
Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »
To continue, I do see everybodies point though. I guess he's a player that would be retired by an NBA team, but not deemed a HOFer by the NBA.  
Paul

jn

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 02:29:59 PM »
Typical bleeding heart thinking 101.  ;)  Letting Horry into the Hall would be like giving a kid an "A" just for making sure his assignment is typed in double space. Why, if people like you had there way there would be no playoffs and instead of a championship parade for one team there would be an all league party called "Hooray! Everyone's a winnner."  :D  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 02:32:58 PM »
I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!  :lol:  
Paul

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 02:53:52 PM »
I love Horry -- he will continue to be a favorite player of mine until he retires.  He is an intelligent player who gives his all on the court (well, at the end of the season and the playoffs anyway -- he's always been kind of slow out of the blocks).  Would I like to see LA retire his jersey?  Yes!  Do I think they should?  No!  I think there are players in the past who have given this level of contribution and their jerseys haven't been retired -- simply too many players and if you start doing everyone, then there's no room in the rafters for all those championships to come.   :D  

I don't think Horry should be in the HOF and I'm one of his biggest fans (although it IS very difficult to cheer for him now that he is playing for the enemy) but he doesn't belong in the HOF.  Horry has shown his worth on championship teams and while he has been an important piece in the puzzle, he would never be a piece to build a team around -- and that's what I think the HOF should be.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 05:39:38 PM »
I voted No because statistically for his career he doesn't have hall of fame numbers and he has never been the main guy or one of the 2 main guys on the team.  

However if there was such a thing as a playoff Hall of Fame (AND statistics weren't the end all be all of this HoF) then Horry belongs there wholeheartedly.  If Horry hadn't found his rhythm in 93-94, Houston wouldn't have won the championship.  And if Horry hadn't of hit that last second shot against Sacto (I think), the Lakers wouldn't have won that championship.  Too many streaks and Too many last second shot were so important and integral to the championship runs  of his teams that you couldn't leave him out.  

Now if he were playing with Kevin Duckworth (sorry Ziggy) instead of The Dream and Shaq, would he have gotten on a roll in any of those playoffs.....that's a different story and that's why I voted No.    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 05:44:20 PM »
Now if he were playing with Kevin Duckworth (sorry Ziggy) instead of The Dream and Shaq, would he have gotten on a roll in any of those playoffs.....that's a different story and that's why I voted No.
No offense taken, the facts are the facts.  Duckworth was at best a mediocre NBA center.  Anybody who is 7' and 485 pounds should be able to get more than 6 rebounds per game.  Sabonis as a broken down 36 year old, who could barely run and jump could get 6 rebounds in 15 minutes.  He was a nice guy, but he sucked.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 01:18:59 PM »
I leave town for a couple of days only to return for a poll on whether or not Robert Horry should be considered for the Hall of Fame?

How about a poll on whether or not grass should be kept green?

How about if water should be essential to life on this planet?

How about if Dubya is a true idiot or just faking it?

If I were a member of the Hall of Fame and they let Horry in, I would return my HOF'er trophy on the spot.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."