Author Topic: Utah Woman Charged With Murdering Fetus  (Read 3385 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Utah Woman Charged With Murdering Fetus
« on: March 12, 2004, 10:19:32 AM »
[size=8]WHOA.  Not sure how I feel about this...[/size]

SALT LAKE CITY March 12 — As Melissa Ann Rowland's unborn twins got closer to birth, doctors repeatedly told her they would likely die if she did not have a Caesarean section. She refused, and one later was stillborn.
Authorities charged 28-year-old Rowland with murder on Thursday, saying she exhibited "depraved indifference to human life," according to court documents. Prosecutors said Rowland didn't want to be scarred, and one nurse told police that Rowland said she would rather "lose one of the babies than be cut like that."

The case could affect abortion rights and open the door to the prosecution of mothers who smoke or don't follow their obstetrician's diet, said Marguerite Driessen, a law professor at Brigham Young University.

"It's very troubling to have somebody come in and say we're going to charge this mother for murder because we don't like the choices she made," she said.

Court documents did not list an address for Rowland, and she is not listed in telephone books for the Salt Lake City area. It could not immediately be determined whether she had an attorney.

Rowland was warned numerous times between Christmas and Jan. 9 that her unborn twins would likely die if she did not get immediate medical treatment, the documents allege. When she delivered them on Jan. 13, one survived and the other was stillborn.

The woman sought medical advice in December because she hadn't felt the fetuses move, documents said.

Regina Davis, a nurse at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake, told police that during a visit there, Rowland was recommended two hospitals to go to for immediate care. Rowland allegedly said she would rather have both twins die before she went to either of the suggested hospitals.

On Jan. 2, a doctor at LDS Hospital saw Rowland and recommended she immediately undergo a C-section based on the results of an ultrasound and the fetus' slowing heart rates. Rowland left after signing a document stating that she understood that leaving might result in death or brain injury to one or both twins, the doctor told police.

The same day, a nurse at Salt Lake Regional Hospital saw Rowland, who allegedly told her she had left LDS Hospital because the doctor wanted to cut her "from breast bone to pubic bone," a procedure that would "ruin her life."

LDS Hospital can't comment on the case because of medical privacy issues and the pending court case, said spokesman Robert Pexton.

The doctor who performed an autopsy found that the fetus died two days before delivery and would have survived if Rowland had undergone a C-section when urged to do so. It was not immediately clear how far along Rowland was in her pregnancy.

She was charged in Salt Lake County with one first-degree felony count of criminal homicide. Rowland was being held on $250,000 bail at the Salt Lake County jail, and was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

If convicted, she could be sentenced to between five years and life in prison.

A spokesman for the district attorney, Kent Morgan, said Rowland is married and has other children, but he did not know how many.

"We are unable to find any reason other than the cosmetic motivations by the mother" for her decision, Morgan said.

Caesarean sections usually involve delivery through a surgical incision in the abdomen and front wall of the uterus. Dr. Christian Morgan, a family practice doctor who regularly performs C-sections at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center, said he had never seen vertical skin incisions performed at LDS Hospital for a first-time C-section.

"Even when you need to get a baby out in minutes, it can still be done in the bikini incision," Christian Morgan said.

Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 10:24:12 AM »
Made up my mind, she was negligent, she deserves whatever she gets.  
Paul

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 12:05:23 PM »
I must say I'm surprised at your response. Obviously this is big news here, and I still haven't formed a solid opinion yet. But I'm leaning toward agreeing with you 101. This was a baby, not a fetus. At some point, a baby has to have some rights, and that's got to at least be when a baby can be delivered with a high probability of survival. If what the witnesses are saying is true, her indifference does seem depraved.

There are contradictory stories coming out right now, though. The woman tells the media that she was never told she MUST have a C-section to save the baby. But the prosecution has lined up nurses and doctors who will testify to the contrary. This case could have some major ramifications.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 12:06:03 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 12:22:25 PM »
I'm a new dad bro, I also have a 4 year daughter, kids are precious, and people need to be accountable for the safety of their children.  

Being the devils advocate, when my wife was preggie, I saw first hand the dramatic hormonal changes she went through. I would walk through that door and I knew WHICH WIFE I was coming home too. The sweet welcome home honey wife or the "GOD DARNIT, the HOUSE IS TRASHED" sobbing wife.

If she does go to trial, she will walk. Women are really sympathetic to pregnant women because they understand what they have been through.  HECK, if a Texas jury didn't send a women who drowned her 5 kids to the death chamber, then what makes me think the jury won't let this women go.

Paul

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 12:38:34 PM »
What did happen to that lady? I followed that story for a while, but I stopped reading about it. It was just too sickening.

I hear ya about being a new daddy. We have an 11-month old boy who means the world to us. I still have a hard time understanding mothers like this though. I've never seen them before. During her pregnancy, my wife's main focus was eating well, taking her pre-natal vitamins, doing everything she could to make sure Sam would be healthy. She even avoided painkillers and would avoid second-hand smoke like the plague. But then again, there were times when the hormones took over. You have to wonder if a court will find this woman responsible.

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Reality

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 12:59:47 PM »
Hospitals can and do lie, so there is that aspect.
However if hospital is being truthful, perhaps a law should be passed requiring prospective parents to be qualified before getting pregnant.
 :D  :D  it will never happen.

But this woman had to know a C-Section was one possible outcome.
Then again she is in rural UTAH? :ph34r:

"I don't want to be scarred"?  click.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 01:07:37 PM »
LDS Hospital is in Salt Lake City and is widely considered the best hospital in the state. Of course, even Salt Lake seems rural when compared to SoCal.

Guest_Reality

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 01:18:41 PM »
I don't know those Salt Lake folks do seem very caring when it comes to hospital treatment.  Why just the other night I saw a lost looking large Baboon being led out of the Delta Center for treatment.

Some folks were even helping him walk by reminding him which foot to land on next.  "Left right left right.."

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 01:31:21 PM »
:D
I try to help even the dumbest of God's creations when I can. If I see an ant on a sidewalk, I'll help the little fella find the grass. If I see a bee trapped in my car, I'll open the window to set him free. If I see a hairless Sasquatch who doesn't know where to go, I'll help him find his way.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 02:35:53 PM »
Could be the hospital is covering it's own behinds.  The article does state that she signed a release stating she knew the danger she was putting the babies in by not following the directions of the doctor.  Then again she could say she didn't know what she was signing or that she felt trapped and signed it just to get out of the hospitol.

In other words: you self appointed guardians of all that is good don't know shyte!  In fewer words: she'll walk.  

:angry:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 08:12:11 PM »
I don' t think this woman ranks very high on the intelligence meter. I'm not really sure she understood the ramifications of not undergoing a C-section. And I'm guessing the idea of being cut from breast bone to pelvic region scared her. This is a weird case, but I think there's a bit more to it than some woman deciding to kill her one baby. I do think she'll serve some time.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 12:22:16 AM »
Read below, CASE CLOSED. Send this beyatch up the river!

From smokinggun.com

MARCH 12--The Utah woman charged with killing her unborn fetus by refusing an emergency Caesarean section took drugs during her pregnancy and was smoking cigarettes minutes before giving birth, The Smoking Gun has learned. Melissa Rowland, the 28-year-old who was pregnant with twins, was charged in January with felony child endangerment after the surviving baby, a girl named Hannah, tested positive for alcohol and cocaine in her urine, according to the below criminal information. A blood test on Rowland also tested positive for cocaine and the twins's biological father told investigators that he had smoked marijuana with Rowland three weeks before the birth. While acknowledging that she smoked pot, Rowland told cops that "the marijuana must have been laced with cocaine because that is the only way that cocaine could be in her system or in Hannah's system." Before Rowland finally agreed to the January 13 C-section, she was "uncooperative and continually insisted on going outside to smoke first," according to a nurse interviewed by cops.  :angry:
Paul

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 09:33:54 AM »
like I said she was either dumb as a papersack or stoned...maybe both.  :D

They'll probably plea this one out before it goes to court, but I think the woman will do some time and lose custody of the one baby that was born alive.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 01:05:21 PM »
thought you all already saw the article.  Sorry I'm not posting it.
Long history of "severe mental illness."  While this comes from her defense Liar it sounds very on the up and up.  They showed a photo of her and she indeed looks very bad.

If people would think of how fit they are as parents before conceiving but.....

You can't legislate righteousness.[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'][/span]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 01:06:17 PM by Reality »

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 02:56:56 PM »
...and you can't legislate common sense. Sad that parent is the one job you don't have to qualify to become one...and yet it's the job that is among the most challenging and that you will have for a lifetime.