Author Topic: jn, what are you thoughts about KG's comments?  (Read 1577 times)

Guest_Randy

jn, what are you thoughts about KG's comments?
« on: March 30, 2006, 11:25:02 AM »
I think KG is handling this about as well as possible but unless the TWolves go out and make land some BIG free agents (can they and will they) I think the TWolves will HAVE to trade KG.  KG is already 30 -- that means that he has 5 or 6 years left in him -- tops!  While I understand you may not get present worth in return -- you can get some quality young players as well as some better draft picks.  

I think unless they can show that they can do something in the off-season with signing some quality free agents that it won't be long before KG is beyond frustration and demands a trade (and who can blame him).  The trade for Wally vs. Ricky was simply something to make it appear that the Wolves (and the Celts) were doing SOMETHING -- it hasn't helped the TWolves -- at all.

What kind of grade does McHale get as a GM?  I'd say he fails at this point!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
The Laker's are going to try to go after him if no one heard the rumors from La La Land.  Not sure how they will do that (dunno who they can give up to get KG) but that is what I am hearing.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 11:53:06 AM »
The writing is on the wall, has been for a while and now KG's comments are just the next indicator that it's going down.  I don't necessarily buy it, but when a premier player demands a trade, Laker fans know all too well that deals can be made that don't necessarily make sense talent-for-talent-wise.  Salary-wise, I'm not sure of how they pull it off, but between Kwame and Odom, you've got somewhere areound $18 mil/yr.  I would think if you throw in George in a sign and trade and some scraps you could piece together a deal.  I'm sure the Lakers would offer their entire roster sans Kobe to make that deal.  And let's face it, Reality, westkoast and I could start next to those two and probably win 50 games  :drunk:  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:46:43 PM »
The Laker's are going to try to go after him if no one heard the rumors from La La Land.  Not sure how they will do that (dunno who they can give up to get KG) but that is what I am hearing.
You've been in Texass too long.  Your IQ seems to have dropped a couple dozen points.

WTF are you talking about?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
And let's face it, Reality, westkoast and I could start next to those two and probably win 50 games  :drunk:
Kobe, KG, Reality, westkoast and I would win 57 games PUNK!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »
The Laker's are going to try to go after him if no one heard the rumors from La La Land.  Not sure how they will do that (dunno who they can give up to get KG) but that is what I am hearing.
You've been in Texass too long.  Your IQ seems to have dropped a couple dozen points.

Actually the talking heads on ESPN that no nothing about the NBA said last night that there was talk of ODom & Brown for KG.  And with McHale's track record it would be hard for even Kupchak to screw that one up.  Although I can imagine he would try.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:04:11 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 01:17:07 PM »
The Laker's are going to try to go after him if no one heard the rumors from La La Land.  Not sure how they will do that (dunno who they can give up to get KG) but that is what I am hearing.

The beef is rotting my brain...but I have to say Texas (specifically Austin) is a very nice place.  I almost got a revolver down my throat in Dallas for popping off at the mouth about republicans though =]

What I am saying is though is a few weeks ago they interviewed Jerry Buss and right before they went to him they spoke about how the Lakers want to persue KG.  No details were given but it was mentioned.

edit: And according to Lurker the rumors are flying...even if it is from ESPN LOL
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:18:37 PM by westkoast »

jn

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:21:18 PM »
I promise that I will write a big Wolves post this weekend but for now let's just say I understand his frustration but I simply don't see any way the Wolves can improve by trading him.  Contending teams aren't going to trade the star players near KG's level, you don't improve by trading for players like Odom and even if they trade for a top level draft pick this year there is no instant impact player in the draft and it's debatable if anyone would be a franchise player even in the future.

Further, as you may have gathered from previous posts I am not of the opinion that players, even someone as like KG, are "owed" trades.  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »
And let's face it, Reality, westkoast and I could start next to those two and probably win 50 games  :drunk:
Fine by me ... I'll just have to be the 6th man that provides the spark off of the bench  :cheers:  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 01:39:32 PM »
Take all this with a grain of salt as I do, but I've been hearing this for a while from people I know who know B. Shaw and Rambis.  Of course, what's so hard to imagine that the Lakers want Garnett?  That's a no-brainer.  The question is obviously whether the deal can be put together between the teams ... there is no doubt that they're going to go after him ... who wouldn't?

Also, when you look at it, I think the Lakers are one of the better suited opportunities for KG.  He literally could come in and make them a contender.  I’m not sure there are many other teams that are set up right now to get him and be an instant contender, maybe Houston or Seattle.  I don't think he'd go to an already established contender like SA, Det, Mavs, Phx for two reasons.  First, those teams already have stellar 4/5’s; second, I think KG would want to be one of the main factors in bringing a team a championship.  I don't think he'd want to simply come in to an existing championship team and collect a ring.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 03:02:03 PM »
And let's face it, Reality, westkoast and I could start next to those two and probably win 50 games  :drunk:
Fine by me ... I'll just have to be the 6th man that provides the spark off of the bench  :cheers:
A starting five of Kobe, KG, Reality, westkoast, and WOW would guarantee a trade demand from at least two of those guys.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 03:31:20 PM »
A starting five of Kobe, KG, Reality, westkoast, and WOW would guarantee a trade demand from at least two of those guys.
 :rofl:

Actually if I didn't have to hear him yell out defensive assignments by quirky nicknames then I'd be fine.  I play basketball with people from work I argue with all the time!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »
I CAN'T see why Minny would trade for Odom and Brown -- does that bring them into contention?  No!  Does that even make them better than they are currently?  No!  Does it make them as exciting to watch?  Absolutely not!

I think we would have to take some SERIOUS contracts off their hands and trade almost the entire Laker squad to make it happen:  Smush, Mihm, Odom and Brown and several upcoming draft picks for KG and whoever they want to throw in to get rid of their contracts.  Even then, I can't see why it would make any sense for the TWolves to make this trade.  If they are going to trade KG they need YOUNG talent -- a Dwight Howard along with another young solid player and a couple of great draft picks.  

However, after saying all of this -- I think that Minny is going to sit around on their hands and not do anything.  McHale hasn't made a great trade in his entire career as a GM.  I don't see them attracting any significant free agents and that means that Minny is in a tough position -- KG is going to continue to get frustrated to the point that he is going to DEMAND a trade.  Remember, McHale -- this guy gave up MONEY so that you could hire talent to surround him.  So far McHale has spent the money foolishly!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 11:22:38 PM »
P.S. What were KG's comments?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 05:33:41 PM »
If he choses to leave MN, i see a bidding war between Jerry Buss and Isaiah Thomas, scratch Isiaih make that the NYKnicks.  I'm sure plenty of under the table going$$ on will be involved.

I still think part of Larry Browns coming to NYC included some bombshell plan like a KG and/or Ron Artest by Browns 2nd season.  0-1 so far.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:49:05 PM by Reality »