Author Topic: Thoughts going into the playoffs?  (Read 1881 times)

Guest_Randy

Thoughts going into the playoffs?
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:41:41 AM »
Teams that were doing well are beginning to falter down the stretch:

Dallas -- after an impressive start -- Dallas has dropped 5 of their last 10 (to teams like GS and SacTown)

Phoenix -- they were playing great basketball -- then I think they begin to get visions of Amare joining their ranks -- only to be let down and disappointed.  Of course, I don't think they can go far without Amare -- they too have lost 5 of their last 10.

Detroit -- they simply look exhausted lately -- definately not the time of year to begin to "let up."

San Antonio -- their health is a HUGE issue at this point.  If TD isn't healthy, the Spurs simply aren't going to go far -- this is a VERY deep team but the team still relies on TD to keep defenses stretch and rotating poorly.

Teams appearing to be striving to lose their playoff spots:  Philly and SacTown.

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:01:20 AM »
SA I think willl be fine.  Tim is def going to have to play a reduced roll but they have the depth to allow him to do so.  At the beging of the season I thought it was a lock for them to grab the title but with Duncan operating at 80% for most of the season I just do not know now.  To me they are still the best team but things are no so certain.

Detriot same as SA.  I believe they will be fine too but the tank is on EMPTY.  That could spell disaster for them in the later rounds.  First round tho?  They are likely to play the Sixers or Bulls.  Even at half a tank of gas they are going to be able to be better than those two.

PHX seems to have got into a little bit of a funk and is probably listening to the media too much.  EVERYONE is saying no Amare no title and I think they are starting to buy into that...NOT a good mentality to get into a few weeks before the playoffs.

jn

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:38:04 AM »
Detroit seems to be trying to refuel the tank of the the backcourt by giving some minutes to Tony Delk and dragging Lindsey Hunter out of the crypt.  On the one hand that helps but I think gettting some rest for the bigs is even more important.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:50:48 PM »
Locally, they have started to call the Sacramento Kings the Sacramento Cybils. There are two teams playing for this town for the price of one, except one of them is a leaderless, lifeless, non-ball sharing, turnover prone ugly b***h, that needs to be put down.

It might be that the energy needed to even get back into the playoff picture has taken a toll on the starters in particular, and without Kevin Martin (the latest injured King) to ease the stilted rotation Adelman seems to prefer, the extra minutes are showing up at the wrong time with these guys. Plus, they have like five sets of back-to-backs from mid-March till the end of the season. And they have a road trip through Texas and the LA Clippers yet to face.

This team will only go as far as the gray matter between their ears allows them to.  When they play smart SacTown ball-movement basketball without trying to pass through non-existant passing alleys, they look like they are capable of beating anyone. When they play duh-ball, however, they embarrass themselves.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:57:42 PM »
Detroit seems to be trying to refuel the tank of the the backcourt by giving some minutes to Tony Delk and dragging Lindsey Hunter out of the crypt.  On the one hand that helps but I think gettting some rest for the bigs is even more important.
Such a tough call with home court advantage through out the entire playoffs still up for grabs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:08:21 PM »
Detroit seems to be trying to refuel the tank of the the backcourt by giving some minutes to Tony Delk and dragging Lindsey Hunter out of the crypt.  On the one hand that helps but I think gettting some rest for the bigs is even more important.
Such a tough call with home court advantage through out the entire playoffs still up for grabs.
Good article on ESPN yesterday about this.  All 3 of the top teams (Detroit, Dallas & SA) are trying to balance preparing for the playoffs, getting healthy and maintaining momentum....as well as chase for home court.

However, Detroit's position is looking better & better.  With 2 games up on SA in the loss column and holding the tie breaker the top spot is theirs to lose.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 08:30:04 AM »
I think that detroits home court advantage will be HUGE in the playoffs.  They have two games on us and it should make things interesting come the finals.  Too be honest, Detroit looks like they have the best chances to win it all going into the playoffs.  They beat us twice this year correct?  Not that THAT realy matters, but the fact is they will take that mentality into a series with us (assuming we make it that far) and cobine that with the home court advantage - well...that's a pretty tough call for the Spurs this season.  Our team is still working through some injuries, still trying to see how we have come together as a team...I still don't get the feeling we have become as solid as years past.  I will still root for my team of course, I am just saying that Detroit looks like the team to beat going into the playoffs so far.  Now, detroit has been losing more games in the last half of the season - but man, in my mind they are still the toughest team out there right now...i hope they lose a few more games..atleast I got my fingers crossed.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 12:26:01 PM »
Phx seemed to be doing fine until the AStoud experiment failed.  I don't blame them for trying tho.  

Det  HCA for finals is overated.  However i will say that vs San Antone it sure mattered last year.

SA the problem is not Tim Dunkars health but rather PoP-a-Cements handling of it.  Why he continues to play him heavy minutes in 2nd of back to backs is a joke.  Witness this week how he looked vs Clips vs Lakers.  Ditto look how good Barry did as fill in point vs Clips, only to be benched for much of the 1st 3 qtrs vs Lakers. :crazy:

Parker looks fantastic as does Bob Horry.  Manu and Dunkar should errr well would be rested for playoffs.  1-2-3 days off between games.
I'm not on any bandwagons out of SA Title 4.  Plus SA has the tiebreaker for WestConf Home court so in effect they lead by 3 games.

Everyone is talking Detroit.  You Shaq Haters are of course silent on the Heats record (again) with him and thier chances.  However they did get punked at Det when Mourning went out....

Could NJNets actually pull an EC upset over Det?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 01:37:37 PM »
Yea because we all know that Shaq is the sole reason they are doing so well right?  The Heat have just as much talent as the Spurs and Detroit does.  Some would argue they have more.

Reality your brain hiccups should not be starting this early.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 06:15:02 PM »
Oh brother.  Here comes the Shaqs teams are loaded/Kobes teams suck broken record.
If you want to revisit, look at The Lakers record when Shaq and Kobe were both on the team together.  Compare Shaq minus Kobe then Kobe minus Shaq.  With the exact same fellow teamates.

...and have a cup.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 06:50:10 PM »
Oh brother.  Here comes the Shaqs teams are loaded/Kobes teams suck broken record.
If you want to revisit, look at The Lakers record when Shaq and Kobe were both on the team together.  Compare Shaq minus Kobe then Kobe minus Shaq.  With the exact same fellow teamates.

...and have a cup.
Hmm, why not compare playoff games without Shaq and without Kobe -- wouldn't that also be fair?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 07:16:21 PM »
Oh brother.  Here comes the Shaqs teams are loaded/Kobes teams suck broken record.
If you want to revisit, look at The Lakers record when Shaq and Kobe were both on the team together.  Compare Shaq minus Kobe then Kobe minus Shaq.  With the exact same fellow teamates.

...and have a cup.
Uhhh Corky, it's been repeated because it is true.  Let's hear your argument that Kobe has just as much talent on his team as Shaq does on his.

What does their previous record have to do with what we are talking about which is Shaq's record with his current team?!  Please stay on topic here.  I know you like to wander like a child at the mall but focus please.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 07:16:46 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
Hmm, why not compare playoff games without Shaq and without Kobe -- wouldn't that also be fair?
Because the 200 or so games of Kobadiah without Shaq is a sufficient enough amount to give a true picture.

But go ahead, give us the Laker Math on Kobe in the playoffs without Shaq.  I know last year you can start with Shaq 10 Kobe zero.

While burntToast gives us The Heats record last year and this with Kobe on the Heat. :rofl:

We'll see how far Heat go vs Lakers in this years playoffs.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 09:39:37 AM »

This is some of your more delusional reasoning.  No comparison can be made.  Wade by himself is better than the other 4 Lakers on the floor with Kobe.  Or look at this way...

Which team do you think would win more playoff games:

Kobe/Mihm

Wade/Shaq
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »

This is some of your more delusional reasoning.  No comparison can be made.  Wade by himself is better than the other 4 Lakers on the floor with Kobe.  Or look at this way...

Which team do you think would win more playoff games:

Kobe/Mihm

Wade/Shaq
Oh no the reasoning is Toasts, yours and Randys, not mine.

Kobe is so much better then Shaq, surely he would vault The Heat to a title last year and this.