Author Topic: Guess Artest must still be hurt, huh?  (Read 977 times)

Guest_Randy

Guess Artest must still be hurt, huh?
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »
Bryant scored 28 points on 11 for 20 shooting!

guest-koast

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:04:41 AM »
Artest did expend alot of energy on the offensive end Randy.    He doesn't have the luxury Bruce Bowen does of being able to focus 90% of his energy on the defensive end of the floor... Regardless, he can't guard Kobe anyways  :D

Last night was a weird game.   The Kings looked very sloppy while the Lakers rotated much better than they have in the last 5 or 6 games.  Both teams look very strong on their home floors and very sloppy on the other squad's home floor.   Nice rubber bounce back for the Lakers after the Kings did the exact same thing to them last week in Arco.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 11:49:34 AM »
:angry:

<gloom>

The Kings still can not transport their home success onto the road. They look completely different as visitors. They can't complete simple layups, they turn the ball over, and they let Kwame Brown look like a megastar. Thanks to the Kings and last seasons playoff series with Seattle, Jerome James got millions from Isiah Thomas and the Knicks to sit on the bench in New York and pick up five fouls in four minutes per game.

Kobe was very clutch in this one, and he played a great all around game. Ron was healthy and he managed as best he could to control Bryant, but even he could have used a bit of help last night.

But what really bothered me was the typical slow start the Kings had offensively, and how many open looks they blew. No offense, but there really was not much the Lakers were doing on defense that the Kings should have had that much trouble dealing with.

But Kobe was a huge difference in this one and deserves the kudos for the win. I can't bring myself to say the same about Brown though.

:huh: <okay, he was good too>    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:08:56 PM »
Kobe was very clutch in this one, and he played a great all around game. Ron was healthy and he managed as best he could to control Bryant, but even he could have used a bit of help last night.

But what really bothered me was the typical slow start the Kings had offensively, and how many open looks they blew. No offense, but there really was not much the Lakers were doing on defense that the Kings should have had that much trouble dealing with.

The Lakers rotations were better than usual last night but I agree that their defense wasn't so great that it caused all of those turnovers.  Alot of those were just plain mental mistakes or trying to force the issue (there were too many passes in traffic that led to turnovers).  Both squads really do look alot different when they are away from their home court.  Which is understandable but is going to cause both squads trouble if they make the playoffs.

I don't remember seeing really any double teams being thrown at Kobe in the second half.  Artest had to guard Kobe straight up and then do damage on the other end so that is hard for anyone to do.  If you think about it thats a heck of alot of energy to expend in a game and IMO Artest still is not in full NBA playing shape.  When you shoot in a building your entire career during games and practice it is a little easier to hit jumpers with a hand in your face.  Artest was playing good defense on a number of those big shots so its not like he just gave him something easy.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 05:19:59 PM »
Good win for the Lakers.  They came out ready to play and obviously Sac was a little flat.  I'm not sure if they were tired from the game the night before or what, but they looked out of sync.  

Although I'm happy the Lakers won, their inability to put a team away when they have them against the ropes is getting to be almost unbearable to watch.  I realize basketball is a game of runs and momentum, yada, yada, yada.  But time after time after time, this season's squad gets sizable leads 15 - 20 pts and allows them to evaporate at an alarmingly fast rate usually in the third, but sometimes in the fourth.  I don't know if it's youth, conditioning, the coach’s rotations, or what, but it's getting old.  To their credit, they did a pretty good job of withstanding every one of Sac's runs. But when the lead was cut to 5 in the final minutes I was all but convinced we would blow yet another game in hand.

I almost forgot, almost, what a beast Bonzi is in the low post.  He was really bull-dogging Odom, Walton, or whoever was on him down low and positioning his way to some easy buckets.  I think the Kings should have gone to him down low a lot more throughout the game.  

JoMal, I know it's hard to complement Kwame.  I've found myself doing it recently and it's a mind-boggling and somewhat disturbing experience.  If he continues to improve I may have to start a support group.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 05:36:36 PM »
JoMal, I know it's hard to complement Kwame.  I've found myself doing it recently and it's a mind-boggling and somewhat disturbing experience.  If he continues to improve I may have to start a support group.
Well, msc, if players like Artest and Wells can become conformists, I guess we can believe an undermotivated Kwame Brown can learn to like to play basketball.
Just because a guy is seven feet tall does not mean he likes to play basketball for a living.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 05:57:59 PM »
Well, msc, if players like Artest and Wells can become conformists, I guess we can believe an undermotivated Kwame Brown can learn to like to play basketball.
Just because a guy is seven feet tall does not mean he likes to play basketball for a living.
True, but I actually believe Kwame wants to play basketball and is motivated.  My take on him is that coming straight from HS as the #1 pick was the worst thing that could have happened to him both from a basketball development standpoint and a mental standpoint.  In high school, his sheer size and athleticism enabled him to absolutely dominate at that level.  The problem was that he never developed any fundamentals or any low post moves.  This is where going to a Div I University with a great coaching staff would have really helped him.  Instead, he makes the quantum leap to the NBA, gets drafted #1, and thrown in to the fire with very limited skills.  He's emotionally immature and doesn't take the pressure well and he actually regresses, or at the very least, doesn't progress at all.  I think that devastated him mentally and he's had to sort of fight through that.  I don't think it's a lack of desire, but rather a level of immaturity in the face of pressure that he has to overcome.  He's getting better but he still has a very long way to go.  

Clearly he’s not on the level of a Fabs Oberto, but maybe he can become a decent role player.  Time will tell.