Author Topic: Obesity in America  (Read 7355 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Obesity in America
« on: March 09, 2004, 03:24:26 PM »
Question: Why don't the presidential candidates worry about what's really wrong with America. Not smoking. Not gay marriage.  OBESITY!  [/size]

CHICAGO (AP) - Inactive Americans are eating themselves to death at an alarming rate, their unhealthy habits fast approaching tobacco as the top underlying preventable cause of death, a government study found.

In 2000, poor diet including obesity and physical inactivity caused 400,000 U.S. deaths - more than 16 percent of all deaths and the No. 2 killer. That compares with 435,000 for tobacco, or 18 percent, as the top underlying killer.

The gap between the two is substantially narrower than in 1990, when poor diet and inactivity caused 300,000 deaths, 14 percent, compared with 400,000 for tobacco, or 19 percent, says a report from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"This is tragic," said Dr. Julie Gerberding, CDC's director and an author of the study. "Our worst fears were confirmed."

"It's going to overtake tobacco" if the trend continues, Gerberding said. "At CDC, we're going to do everything we can to prevent it," she said. "Obesity has got to be job No. 1 for us in terms of chronic diseases."

Paul

jn

Obesity in America
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 03:35:16 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't San An the fattest city in America?  I was surprised to hear that stat given the fact that America still includes Milwaukee.  

Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to my Chicken Fried Chicken.   :D  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 03:39:07 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't San An the fattest city in America?  I was surprised to hear that stat given the fact that America still includes Milwaukee.  

Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to my Chicken Fried Chicken.   :D
HAHA!! the joke is indeed on you jn!!  san antonio was re-ranked as 4TH fattest city in the U.S. this year!!  mwahahahahahahaha !!!  we are no longer the kings of fatness!  

errrrrrrrr...pardon me as i chew my atkins pigfat wrapped in twice fried butter and cheese dough......
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 03:44:17 PM »
Don't knock the Atkins or South Beach Diet diet son. At least these people are willing to try!  (Me included.)
Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 03:46:13 PM »
Regardless of being #1 or not, San Anton is a very fat city regardless. You can blame that on poor eating habits, and an abundance of delicous Mexican Food.  No better Mescan food than here in good ole Fat Antonio! :lol:  
Paul

jn

Obesity in America
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 03:49:26 PM »
:lol:   :lol:  :lol:

Allow me to extend an invitation to the MN State Fair, featuring Deep Fried Cheese Curds and (honest) Fried Oreos.  

Rickortreat

Obesity in America
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 04:01:21 PM »
Don't think of this as a problem; Think of this as a solution!  :lol:

With all these fat people dying off, think of all the money we'll save on health care and Social Security. In fact, from a revenue standpoint, the fatter you all are, the better- since the more you eat the fater you get, and the more money gets moved around the economy.

Not only that, but if we're willing to go the extra yard- there's a company out there claiming they have a method to turn waste into diesel fuel.  Just think!  We could recycle all those lard buts out there to keep the lights on, and the fryers hot!! :rolleyes:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 04:03:40 PM »
Everytime I hear about a new diet or cream that is suppose to help one of my female friends loose weight I always have to make it a point that no low carb, atkins, jenny craig, or anything else will make up for a balanced diet and MOVING YOUR FRICKIN MUSCLES.

Someone please tell me what the hell happend to getting a damn work out.  Sorry but I cannot stand this obssesion with new diets that are going to help people who are too lazy to workout to loose weight.  Balanced diet + working out.  Its so simple.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 04:04:08 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 04:07:29 PM »
There is no excuse, I think the older you get, it becomes more of a time constraint than anything else.  What's really epidemic is the state of the children in America. Some are already having onset of adult diabetes, and whos to blame for that. Easy.  VIDEO GAMES.  No one plays outside anymore!
Paul

jn

Obesity in America
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 04:08:33 PM »
westkoast you take that back!!!  I'm gonna come out there smack you for your insensitive comments. First all just walk home, pack my..bags.. go the...aiiirportt..oh maaaannn, that's so much work! Forget it!  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 04:48:56 PM »
There is no excuse, I think the older you get, it becomes more of a time constraint than anything else.  What's really epidemic is the state of the children in America. Some are already having onset of adult diabetes, and whos to blame for that. Easy.  VIDEO GAMES.  No one plays outside anymore!
yeah, 101 is soo fat his blood type is "chee-tos"

:lol:  :lol:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 05:28:27 PM »
Spursx3, Your so fat when you went outside in a yellow coat a guy said taxi.

Oh, and Ive always wondered about your x3 moniker. Now I know what it is...it's your SHIRT SIZE! :lol:  
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 05:41:52 PM »
Spursx3, Your so fat when you went outside in a yellow coat a guy said taxi.

Oh, and Ive always wondered about your x3 moniker. Now I know what it is...it's your SHIRT SIZE! :lol:
i'll admit it. i am fat, i'm soo fat my shadow has to wait for me to catch up to it... :o  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 06:17:26 PM »
Sorry but I cannot stand this obssesion with new diets that are going to help people who are too lazy to workout to loose weight.

thank you!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Obesity in America
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 06:55:34 PM »
Sorry but I cannot stand this obssesion with new diets that are going to help people who are too lazy to workout to loose weight.

thank you!
i sweat buttermilk....but i try to watch the fitness channel when i get the chance to...