Author Topic: Spurs at Lakers  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« on: March 05, 2006, 11:24:31 PM »
Spurs will win by how many?

Does Spurs D want Kobe to take more then 30 shots and will he?

Will Brent Barry again get more minutes then Fins?  Will Shaggy produce for a third straight game?

Manu at 80% will perform?

How will Fabs do compared to the Laker rookies?

Would you rather date Eva Longoria or one of the Laker girls?

For the Laker posters:
Can the Lakers win?

Bummers:  Staples will not get to see Bob Horry again.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:57:56 AM »
Can the Lakers win? Sure, any team has a chance any given night.  That is why we all watch basketball right?

Lakers came off a nice win against the Pistons last game but IMO the matchups are more lop sided against the Spurs because of Duncan and the speed of Parker.    The Pistons didnt pound the ball in the paint enough and I do not see Spurs making the same mistake when Mihm/Brown will be having the duties of guarding Duncan.  Also I don't think the Spurs want Kobe to get hot but in the same token they do have someone who can play him straight up.  I would imagine the gameplan will be let Bowen play him straight up for the first half and depending on what happens do or do not make an adjustment at half time.

I am pretty sure Fabs and Bynum will see 0 to 2 minutes in this entire game.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 10:59:52 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »

Is that combined minutes?  Or each?  Should we start an over/under?

Fabs might get over 5 himself since the Spurs play the BETTER LA team tomorrow night.  I'll bet on over 6 combined minutes for the two.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 12:25:13 PM »
Just a reminder for you Fabs pickers...

Remember Bob Horry is out on suspension.

Meaning the Three Headed Beast that is Nazr-Rasho-Fabs could pick up some of Bobs minutes.

Guest_Randy

Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 12:43:02 PM »
Actually, Parker vs. Parker is going to be a lot LESS of a match-up than the post game.  TD and company will eat LA for lunch.  

I hear they are going to start Bynum just because of what he did to TD the last time they played!   :rofl:

PS - anyone think that Bowen is going to shut down Kobe like he did Dirk?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 12:45:48 PM »

Is that combined minutes?  Or each?  Should we start an over/under?

Fabs might get over 5 himself since the Spurs play the BETTER LA team tomorrow night.  I'll bet on over 6 combined minutes for the two.
2 minutes Combined  :rofl:  That is unless of course Mihm gets his usual 4 fouls in the first 20 minutes of the game.  That may force Phil to bring Super Bynum The Great in.  If we have any chance of beating the Spurs its going to be with Super Byns shutting down Tim Duncan like Fabs shut down Dirk!

I dont think Bowen will shut Kobe down but I think he will force him to shoot a low %.  He is very good at pushing Kobe into spots he doesn't like to shoot from.

Speaking of playing the better LA team, I think I will be in the LA Times box for the Spurs/Clippers matchup this week  :up:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 12:47:59 PM by westkoast »

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 02:46:37 PM »
Odom had a brilliant game against Detroit so he should disappear against the Spurs per his M.O.

San Antonio plays too dogged a defense and they aren't coming off a back to back and Friday they  coasted over Portland, that translates to a fresh Spurs team and bad news for LA. Bowen may  hamper Kobe, BUT HE WILL NOT SHUT HIM DOWN, that player doesn't exist in tha NBA right now, too bad it will not be enough. Spurs will be wise to let Kobe get his points and stop the rest of his supporting, "cough, choke", cast.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 02:47:11 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »
Odom had a brilliant game against Detroit so he should disappear against the Spurs per his M.O.
Unfortunately, this is so true.  The team does this on a whole as well.  Two steps forward, two steps back, one step forward, one step back, etc, etc.  Ah yes, the mark of all 0.500 teams I suppose.  

Considering the team took a big step forward on Saturday, I look for our heroes (where's RB when we need him?) to take a big step back tonight.  

I think the key to tonight’s game is Tony Parker and the Lakers ability to keep him in check.  I actually like our chances in the post.  From what I've seen of TD recently, he seems to be playing at 60% with his nagging injuries to his feet.  Kwame's D has been very solid of late and a 100% Kwame vs. a 60% TD when the Lakers are on defense just may work out to the Lakers advantage.  Of course when the Lakers are on O, a .005% TD could shut down a 100% Kwame.  What is 100% of 0 anyway?   :cry:

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 12:00:22 PM »
Lakers coach Phil Jackson had said before the game: "For their team, it's just a dance, these 82 games before the playoffs. For us, it's the Bataan (Death) March."

Just soooo classy.

Tim Duncan had 18 points, nine assists and seven rebounds when he left with 5:45 remaining after the Lakers' Smush Parker poked him in the right eye reaching for the ball.

Funny how these "accidental eye pokes" don't happen to Oberto, or some other bench player that seems to dominate the conversation about these teams.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 12:10:46 PM »

Funny how these "accidental eye pokes" don't happen to Oberto, or some other bench player that seems to dominate the conversation about these teams.
Well there is two reasons for that JoMaL....

1) Unlike Duncan Flabs misses shots even without being blinded by a nail gash so why bother scratching?

2) You actually have to have the ball in your possesion to get someone to swing up to pop it out of your hands.

As for the Phil Jackson comment, I dont get what was wrong with it.  He was giving the Spurs props saying that dominating the regular season is easy for them.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 01:17:23 PM »
Agreed 'koast, I saw nothing untoward in Phil's comment. In fact, to me it was a compliment to the Spurs and a denigration of the Lakers.

Why the sarcasm JoMal? What did you differently?
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 01:23:45 PM »
Glad you guys asked.

The comment about the Bataan Death March was a bit much. Comparing an NBA season-long struggle for a borderline playoff team to the butchery that occurred during that sixty mile murder hike is not quite what I would call appropriate.

And I was being a little facetious regarding Oberto getting poked in the eye instead of Duncan. To 'accidentally' poke the other team's BEST player in the eye benefits your team a lot more then 'accidentally' poking a nobody like Oberto in the eye, especially considering the game minutes played by both.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 01:29:21 PM »
I thought it a rather mundane metaphor JoMal, I've heard people make it many times, maybe a little over the top, but not what I would call low class. I think you are perhaps attempting to scale Mount Everest only to descend from its heavenly heights and find you must now cross the Valley of the Shadow of Death in order to grasp at last your Holy Grail that Phil Jackson has no class
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 01:56:23 PM »
I thought it a rather mundane metaphor JoMal, I've heard people make it many times, maybe a little over the top, but not what I would call low class. I think you are perhaps attempting to scale Mount Everest only to descend from its heavenly heights and find you must now cross the Valley of the Shadow of Death in order to grasp at last your Holy Grail that Phil Jackson has no class
Mundane!!!???? :angry:

It was more like, just as Jeffrey Dahmer ate his way through Milwaukie, Parker and Ginobili chewed through the Laker defense as the team from LA tried to topple the twin Spurs towers of Duncan and Mohammed like the terrriorist toppled the twin towers in New York.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Spurs at Lakers
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 02:51:43 PM »
I am not discounting a tragedy JoMal, when have any of you ever heard me do such a thing? I am merely pointing out, perhaps not tactufully enough, that this was not meant as some meanspirited sideswipe at the Spurs or the victims of the Bataan Death March, although truth be told, time seperates us from all tragedies to such a degree that satirical references or analogies actually become the accepted norm. Recall Monty Python's ribald satirical spoof of the Black Death in The Search For the Holy Grail? How about Hogan's Heroes? The myriad comics who poke fun at all manner of tragedies/atrocities, i.e. Jay Leno and his Dancing Ito's in the face of 2 horrific murders and the suffering of 2 families?

I really don't think Phil meant any disrespect any more than I did, however, if my describing his statement as mundane offended you, please accept my sincere apology. I merely meant it was not an out of the ordinary thing to hear in today's society, which is precisely what mundane means.

mun·dane [ mun dáyn ]

adjective  

Definitions:

1. ordinary: commonplace, not unusual, and often boring

2. of this world: relating to matters of this world
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 02:53:35 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan