Author Topic: Igoudale gets ripped off.  (Read 5193 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Igoudale gets ripped off.
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »
right click, save as.  play it off the desktop, don't try to stream it.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 10:34:26 PM »
dbods,

Iggy puts the ball in his hand before he even starts to turn -- I'm not sure where you get the idea that the ball is behind his back the entire time.  He grabs the ball then turns putting the ball behind his back, switching hands and then dunks.  I think you need to watch it another 50 times!  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 11:05:13 PM »
dbods,

Iggy puts the ball in his hand before he even starts to turn -- I'm not sure where you get the idea that the ball is behind his back the entire time.  He grabs the ball then turns putting the ball behind his back, switching hands and then dunks.  I think you need to watch it another 50 times!
I agree with Derek on this, I am sure that really surprises you Randy.  In any case if he did or didn't put it behind his back it was an awesome studly dunk.  Same with the behind the backboard, and same with Nate over Spud, and Nates between the legs 14 try dunk.

I think Iggy should have won, but I knew it would be Nate.  It was all WWE anyway, and all about the politics of it.  Nate did fabulous though, and he did a lot of good stuff, no reason to knock him down.  
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 11:42:38 PM »
What are you talking about?  He turned right when he jumped.  When he caught the ball, it was to his side, and it was all one motion.  The ball was never anywhere other than behind him.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 11:44:26 AM »
This is a serious question and it deserves a serious answer. How the hell do you guys stay awake to even watch a dunk contest?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »
What are you talking about?  He turned right when he jumped.  When he caught the ball, it was to his side, and it was all one motion.  The ball was never anywhere other than behind him.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8N3CdXz1wgc&search=igoudala

He jumps, he catches the ball on his side and brings it around his back.  If you had caught it BEHIND his back that may have been better, but the ball is on his side, where is the difficulty in that?  you just have to bounce the ball high enough and catch it close to the basket.  he could have done that and brought it around the front for a windmill, or just caught it for a 360 two handed dunk.  he could have done a few dunks from his position as he caucght the ball, I dont see how this is a spectacular dunk.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2006, 12:51:46 PM »
He jumps, he catches the ball on his side and brings it around his back....where is the difficulty in that? you just have to bounce the ball high enough and catch it close to the basket. he could have done that and brought it around the front for a windmill
Erm....he doesn't "bring the ball around his back", he does the entire windmill behind his back.  That's where the difficulty comes in.

I don't ever recall a windmill being done in its entirety behind the back.  Last year Josh Smith brought the ball around his back then windmilled in the front.  But doing the actual windmill entirely behind the back is very difficult.  Heck, just try keeping control of the ball is hard enough.

But I guess we'll just have to disagree.  I don't see what was tough about most of Nate's dunks (except the height that needed to be dunked).  Most of them, when he got to the rim, were just straight dunks.  He did one 360 (which was more like a 180 because he was half turned before takeoff), one straight alley oop, one catch off the backboard and half windmill, and one between the legs.  IMO Iguodala's dunks themselves had a much higher degree of difficulty.

Anyway, we'll just have to disagree.  I thought that dunk was amazing.

JoMal: I taped it, then fast forwarded to what I cared about (parts of the skills, the 3 pt, and the dunk).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:54:15 PM by dbodner »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2006, 01:18:42 PM »
JoMal: I taped it, then fast forwarded to what I cared about (parts of the skills, the 3 pt, and the dunk).
VCRs and dvd recorders have not hit Sacramento yet.  Besides, he has flooding to worry about.  Along with the Misery area posters.

http://story.miamimirror.com/p.x/ct/9/id/5...06bbb67f053bb2/

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2006, 02:26:59 PM »
While admiring your dedication to this part of the All Star basketball weekend, I still can't get into it as a spectator sport. There are only so many types of dunks that can be created and all you can observe after a while is who does the same dunk better then the other guy. Snoozeville.

As for flooding, if I suddenly disappear after a devastating flood hits Sacramento, you probably can connect the dots as to what happened to me. I live under the high water mark of the Sacramento River.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

rickortreat

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2006, 05:07:15 PM »
Jomal is right about there only being so many possibilities for a dunk.  Most of them have been seen more than once, so it's a matter of who does a better job of executing them.

The thing is, Igoudala came up with some new stuff.  That one from behind the backboard blew everyone away, and I mean the people who really know about how tough it is.  Dr. J was impressed, so was Kobe.

Anyone with any appreciation for the art of dunking knew Igoudala was the best dunker there.

But most people do not think logically, but emotionally.  Once they make up their mind, there is nothing you can do to change their opinion.  They will ignore logic and reasons, and try to poke holes in your arguments rather than accept their truth.  

This is why you still have so many loyal Republicans in spite of all the bad things they do and all of the incompetance that has been documented.  They will not be swayed from their original conclusion that Republicans are the best people to lead the country.   :crazy:

Nothing can be done, with these people, and, they are in the majority. (I mean as emotional thinkers, not necessarily Republicans!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »
Man o man I missed a heck of a conversation:

There is really not much I can add to the discussion except one thing I think the entire world missed and some commentary on whether Nate stole Iggy's trophy or not.

I had the entire All-Star Saturday taped and I can tell you westkoast you weren't the only one jumping up and down while the Dunk Contest was going.  After both the Iggy behind the backboard and Nate-over-Spud dunk, I was floored.  Amazing show.  

One thing I caught about the third time I went through the contest, remember when Josh Smith put the tape on the floor and then proceeded to do a dunk from the free throw line instead.  It was the lamest thing ever and it was the only thing everyone was talking about concerning poor, poor Josh Smith.  No one realized the actual dunk he did complete.  Not only did he dunk from the free throw line, he dunked from the free throw line with TWO hands.  Now I haven't watched all the dunk contests in recent years, so I don't know, has THAT been done before, ever?  Dr. J, MJ, Brent Barry all dunked from the FT line but used the extra extension of one arm to complete the dunk (MJ's being the best because he double pumped).  But has ANYONE in dunk contest history done it with two hands?  To be completely fair he did step half of his front foot beyond the line, but STILL...  I'm wondering had he not raised everyone's expectations with the stupid tape if people (and judges) would've recognized what they just saw.

On to the Nate-Iggy saga.  I have no doubt in my mind that the most athletic dunker in the contest and probably third best in the NBA (VC and JRich being 1 and 2) is Andre Iguodala.  I mean the man is an athletic marvel.  And I don't think Westkoast and Randy are truly appreciating the creativity and difficulty of those dunks.  I mean the baseline between legs, off hand dunk made J.R. Rider look like an amateur, and the scary thing is that was only his 3rd best dunk that night.  However, and this is a big however, I give the prize to Nate.  In my opinion, Iggy gave the contest away with two humongo mistakes which I will elaborate on.    

Nate put on a great show and he started the night off right and got the crowd on their feet with his bounce, 360 double-handed dunk.  A very good dunk, I'd say better than Iggy's first attempt: the Power Tomahauk, comparatively speaking.  

Nate's second attempt was lacking, the lob was NOT creative and he actually didn't get much height.  Now he got damn good hang time and razzled it with a scissor kick.  I think it was a good decision to not try something to hard, you want to get in the Finals (this was always Shawn Kemp's problem).  Iguodala's behind the backboard was the absolute dunk of the night and I agree completely that it was the best since VC.    Here's the biggest mistake Iggy made, when you have a special dunk like that, you SAVE IT for the LAST ROUND, making sure its the last thing on the judges minds.  Had he used Iverson to do a pedestrian lob into a front-facing between the legs jam, Iggy would've been in the Finals (probably in first place); heck have AI do the lob off the backboard and now you have the crowd, momentum, AND be in first place.  HUGE MISTAKE, I think its what is most to blame for his defeat.    

When they went to the Final round, nobody here can tell me they weren't in disbelief when little Nate went off the back board and between his legs with his first attempt.  Yeah he missed a lot and finally had to shorten his starting point to the free throw line and all that detracted from when he finally made it, but at 5'9. :eek2:   Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley both commented that the dunk simply could not be done right before it was jammed home.  Andre's first dunk of the finals was incredible.  The behind the back, off the bounce into a half-windmill was impressive, the fact that it he missed the first attempt did put a dent in the energy and creak open the door.    

A door that was blown wide open with what happened next.  First of all, Spud isn't taller than Nate.  From the official listing (as shady as they can be), Spud was 5'7 and Nate is 5'9.  And Nate did kick spud in the left shoulder with his right foot.  All that aside though this was the second best dunk of the night.  And the most impressive thing about it was the high-bounce pass from Spud, the second most impressive thing was the pump from Nate.  Just perfectly executed by both guys and really exploded the tension that built from when people saw the Spud jersey come out.  Making it the first time also helped.  Then came Ig's between the legs, baseline, off-hand dunk but flubbing the first three attempts on the heels of Nate's dunk of the night shifted momentum completely to Nate.  

...which admittedly Nate tried to throw away by missing his second dunk 14 times, but it was a very difficult dunk (and Westkoast is right -- the timing is incredibly hard to get manage).  A dunk that Charles, again DID NOT believe was going to pull off, saying its impossible to practice.  Iguodala came back with essentially the same attempt only it took him two tries instead of four but just didn't seem difficult enough (for him) to sway the judges over.  Which brings me to Ig's second mistake, it seemed as though he could never bring his attempt to town on the first try it would take him one, two, or three tries, which cumulutively hurt him in a contest he should've dominated from the get go.  

I definitely saw the dissappointment in Kobe's face who thought Iggy should've won.  Honestly, I can't take anything away from either guy, they both gave me a great show.  It explicitly states in the rules that missed dunks don't affect the outcome so its hard for me to deny Nate his victory but if the truth were told, Iguodala is the better dunker and I hope he comes back next year to claim what is rightfully his.  

I thought it was funny that Moses Malone kept giving Nate 8's and Iguodala 10's while Kenny kept giving Nate 10's and Iguodala 8's and 9's.  I guess big guys and little guys stick together.  I (like Charles) also thought Damon Jones suit made him look like a clown.  

I usually love the three-point shootout but it was really dissappointing this year.  Nowitzki, who won it, didn't even have a good showing.  What happened to the days when Dale Ellis would throw a 20 on the scoreboard to have Steve Kerr demolish it with a 24 or the like.  Nash in the skills competition. :nonono:   And Tony Parker making a top of the key three and banking the half-courter on his first try. :eek2:   He doesn't even know how to shoot!!  It was cool San An won when none of the fans (save 9%) who voted online thought they had a chance.            

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2006, 03:49:49 PM »
No one realized the actual dunk he did complete. Not only did he dunk from the free throw line, he dunked from the free throw line with TWO hands.

absolutely.  That dunk was 48-49 if he doesn't put the tape down.  doing that 2 handed is amazing.

But he lost his cool once he lost his dribble.  He was never the same.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2006, 04:27:58 PM »
But he lost his cool once he lost his dribble. He was never the same.

Which is the other thing I didn't understand, WHY DRIBBLE, its a dunk contest man!

It was a shame seeing the disappointment in his face, sort of how his year has gone in many ways.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

guest-koast

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2006, 10:59:01 AM »
Skand I could have sworn when Spud was standing out there with Nate side by side that he was indeed smaller than Webb is.  Maybe it was just the angle.  As for him being listed at 5'9, no way.  He is really not that tall.  Not sure why they would give him a few more inches but I've always wondered why they did that for a bunch of other players.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2006, 01:01:39 PM »
As for him being listed at 5'9, no way. He is really not that tall. Not sure why they would give him a few more inches but I've always wondered why they did that for a bunch of other players.

Yeah I've always hated how they fudge the height's.  I think they do it for intimidation factor, if you can say you have a 7 foot Center, than that's supposed to intimidate the other team.  I was watching a Div III college game and my friend points out one of the team's Center's who they listed at 6'9.  He said that he is no more than 6'6 or so since he was only about three inches or so taller than my friend (6'3) when we were on the court.  

There have definitely been some absolute BS listings.  The two worst I can think of is Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley.  Charles Barkley was officially listed at 6'6, when he was in reality just shy of 6'4.  Hakeem Olajuwon was listed at 7'0 but when he was standing next to David Robinson in the Dream Team III roster photo he was a LOT more than a singular inch shorter than D-Rob (officiall listed at 7'1).  He looked 6'10 to me.