Author Topic: You are David Stern's replacement  (Read 1750 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
You are David Stern's replacement
« on: February 18, 2006, 01:53:09 AM »
Mark Cuban has found compromising pictures of David Stern, and has forced Stern to resign.  You are selected the new NBA tin horn dictator, so what changes would you make to turn the NBA into the best league in the world?

Everything is on the table.  Change the rules on the court, change the CBA rules, renegotiate the TV deals, expand, contract, change the playoff rules, change the draft rules, you can even demote Stu Jackson to janitor if you want.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 02:34:28 AM »
First off I change the cap rules.

1.)  No longer a soft cap around $52 million, luxury tax at $65 million.  I say make it a hard cap and push the cap to $70 million, with no minimum.  You cannot go over the cap under any circumstances.  If you exceed the cap with guaranteed deals then every player on the team gets a pro-rata reduction until you hit $70 million, plus tax of $2 for every $1 over the hard cap.  This avoids teams signing players to below the cap in year one, and then give them guaranteed deals with raises so they are over the cap in year 2.

2.)  No longer have a max contract.  Let the best players get the most money.  No longer will Damon, or NVE, or KMart, or Wally World et al get anywhere near as much money as Garnett, Duncan, Kobe.

3.)  No longer limit the amount of raises from one year to the next.

4.)  No longer require all deals to be guaranteed.  If you want to guarantee you can, but no requirement.  The non-guaranteed years of contracts become option years, and both the player and the team have the right to decline the option years.

5.)  Limit contract length to 4 years for any contract guaranteed, or not.  No more Bird rights, or Early Bird exemptions.

6.)  Eliminate the trade rules.  No more, must be within 25% plus $100,000, no more base year compensation.  Make any trade you want, take on as much as you want, but you cannot exceed the hard cap. If you are taking on guaranteed contracts, you cannot exceed the hard cap in later years based upon what guaranteed deals you already have in place.  In other words if you already have $65 million guaranteed for next year, you cannot add a player this year that will push you above the hard cap next year.

8.)  Reduce the regular season to 65-70 games.  Let every team make the playoffs.  First round, best record in each conference gets a bye, and the remaining 28 play 5 game series.  Round 2 remaining 16 teams play 5 game series.  Round 3, 4, and 5 are best of 7.

7.)  Simplify the lottery.  Everybody is in the lottery, but team with worst overall record including playoff games gets 30 ping pong balls , and the champion gets one ball.  Let the chips fall where they may.  Only restriction is you can't get the #1 pick more than twice in a 5 year year period.  If you do then you automatically have to drop 5 spots in the draft.

8.)  Grade the officials, and make their scores be the determining factor for who gets the plum post season jobs.  The grading will be done by a 5-10 person panel, and you set objective criteria for this score.  Scores are tabulated in 25-30 game sample throughout the season.  Publish the scores at the end of each year.
If you are in the bottom 20%, then you have to move up to the next 20% within the next 2 years or you are canned.  If you drop down from a higher category, then if you have 2 years in a row at the bottom then you are done.  Pay bonuses for scoring higher.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 02:22:49 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 08:45:15 AM »
So we are assuming that the players association gets blown up as well?

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:28:42 PM »
So we are assuming that the players association gets blown up as well?
Well I did say you were a tin-horn dictator didn't I  :hail: ?

I did try and do some give and take though.  I increased the salary cap, I gave the players the right to walk away from non-guaranteed deals (same as the owner), eliminated the max contract, the limit on raises, freed up the trade rules, and reduced the seasons length, without reducing the salary cap.  Sounds like the players did pretty good.

AA Mil

no bias

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »
ban the judges of the 2006 Slam Dunk competition from any future NBA judging.
Especially Kenny Smith.

Ig won  that.  cool backboard dunk.  I also liked the nate robinson over spud webb.

Also the "best dunk ever" judges-commentators, once again with Smith.  What a joke.

Skander did you see the Shaun Kemp between the legs left handed dunk that didnt even get a sniff.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 11:57:40 PM »
1) Try to encourage lower ticket prices - Mandate that each stadium sell MORE tickets at lower prices to get people in the stands.  Allow people and families who don't have hundreds of dollars to just toss away in one night a chance to take part in live NBA games.  Or do even more patnerships with other companies to offer deals on tickets.  If a family has a good time its possible they will return a few more times in one season and the stadium would make even more money than they would pushing people away with high prices in the first place.

2)  Add an official to the game - Bring in more officials to allow a ref on each end for better angles and calls on fast breaks, lobs, paint shots, etc.  Dick Bevetta and the slower officials would automatically be moved into this stand on the baseline reffing position lol

3) Stop expansion for alonggggg  time - Does the NBA really need anymore new teams in the next 10 years?!   Why not concentrate on making more teams in the league better to watch by not diluting talent due to size.

4) Sabotage the WNBA - enough said.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 11:58:14 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »
Upgrade the refs and virtually do away with Nose reffing.

1st off the refs are called upon to do way too much.  3 people trying to cover all that goes on in a game of hoop?  Impossible.  

1. 3 seconds would be done by off floor refs.  If techno geeks could set me up with a simple chip in the shoes, ball and rim it would be done and done.  Can it be done?  Man can be put on the moon, devices can listen thru brick buildings.  As to cost, Brian Grant can make 15 million a year after leaving the Lakers?  Don't bull me that it cannot be done or about cost.

2. All close out of bounds plays would be immediately played back, just like we see it at home.  Instantaneously sent to floor and called correctly.

3. Same with the 8 count coming across half court and the 5 second count on inbounds plays.  Done by an off floor ref with nothing more to monitor then this.
The on floor ref would still signal when to begin the count and would give an unofficial 5 count.  However off floor ref with exact clocks set at 5 and 8 would make the respective calls.

4. Flopping would become a thing of the past.  By catorgorizing into three levels and punishing in NHL hockey style, we would see the virtual end of the flopperoos.

5. Level 1  Derek Fisher Flop.  This is whereupon a player actually initiates contact with a player who is completely set.  Falling backwords as if they just hit a brick wall, rolling the wrists etc would result in immediate 30 point awarded to the opponent.  Player would be suspended for one year.

Level II Vlade Divac.  Player is hit by opponent, but drama queens it Xs 5 for effect.  Immediate awading of 15 points to other team.  2 game suspension or suspension from remainder of playoff series vs opponent.

Level III Manu GNob flop.  5 points to other team and out rest of game.

6. Enforce travelling.

7. "Star" calls and "Rookie" calls.  Absolute bull.  Monitor refs to see this crap is done away with ASAP.  Call all calls fairly.  Any ref caught nozing to be evaluated, suspended and if nosing persists banishment.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:15 AM »
The first thing I would do would be to threaten to implement all of the above suggestions, then negotiate a buyout settlement for a twenty million from the League to go away.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 12:36:01 PM »
and redo the seeding after Round 1.  Now, not 10 years from now.
Moron Stern is just now considering it.  What am i saying, that clown is out and I'm in.

1st Round
Okay with Division winner being higher seeded then 2nd place team in other division.  In the 1st round only.  

R2 better record = better seed all the way.

Example:
currently,
Denver 28-26 is #3 seed
San Antone 40-12 is #4.

After round 1 screw that, go by best record.

Season:  Reduce to 50-55 games.  Yes zig i would cut it even more.  Let us see some reg season games with effort for 4 quarters.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 01:00:57 PM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 02:56:35 PM »
Change the flooring.
Many arenas lie down the basketball floor over concrete.
UCLAs Pauly Pavillion is laid over some sand type foundation with give.
Players comment on how much better their knees and ankles feel.

I don't have the answers but I know a much better floor could be laid ala Pauley.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »
Change the flooring.
Many arenas lie down the basketball floor over concrete.
UCLAs Pauly Pavillion is laid over some sand type foundation with give.
Players comment on how much better their knees and ankles feel.

I don't have the answers but I know a much better floor could be laid ala Pauley.
That is not something that David Stern can control.  Many venues, like Staples, have ice underneath their floors for the NHL teams that take residence in that venue.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 03:33:46 PM »
That is not something that David Stern can control.  Many venues, like Staples, have ice underneath their floors for the NHL teams that take residence in that venue.
David Stern is out.  I am in as commish.

Billionaire owners can figure out a way to finance making the playing floors better.  They are just too greedy.  Wonder what the revenues are for the Staples center annually?

In baseball, for all the flak he gets and deservably so, George Steinbreener took the inititive to put up padded walls in the Yankee outfield.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 04:06:03 PM »
That is not something that David Stern can control.  Many venues, like Staples, have ice underneath their floors for the NHL teams that take residence in that venue.
David Stern is out.  I am in as commish.

Billionaire owners can figure out a way to finance making the playing floors better.  They are just too greedy.  Wonder what the revenues are for the Staples center annually?

In baseball, for all the flak he gets and deservably so, George Steinbreener took the inititive to put up padded walls in the Yankee outfield.
Right David Stern doesnt have the power and neither would you.

What does Steinbreiner adding padding to the walls have to do with it?  They dont share their space with hockey teams.

Is it all about greed?  They only have the Kings and Lakers in Staples Center for money?  Or is it because 1) people actually like hockey and 2) each individual team cannot have seperate arenas.  That makes no sense from a city standpoint.  Certainly not in Tampa Bay, LA, Chicago, NY,etc etc

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 04:14:27 PM »
I'm not really going to be the commisioner.  I know Sternfish is merely an owners puppet at this point in time.  The hypothetical is if you were made not only commish, but had powers over owners also.

Poor billionaire owners can't figure out a way to have hockey and hoop safer in the same building?  Nonsense.

Sure the better floors might cause their profits might drop 5%.  Or 10 0r 20 or 30%   BooHoo.
The value of a team goes up so drastically each year that the pot has plenty to make for safe playing surroundings.  I'll turn that over to the safety techs and building engineers.

Steinbrenners was an example of an owner making stadium safer when he didn't "have' to.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
I'm not really going to be the commisioner.  I know Sternfish is merely an owners puppet at this point in time.  The hypothetical is if you were made not only commish, but had powers over owners also.

Poor billionaire owners can't figure out a way to have hockey and hoop safer in the same building?  Nonsense.

Sure the better floors might cause their profits might drop 5%.  Or 10 0r 20 or 30%   BooHoo.
The value of a team goes up so drastically each year that the pot has plenty to make for safe playing surroundings.  I'll turn that over to the safety techs and building engineers.

Steinbrenners was an example of an owner making stadium safer when he didn't "have' to.
Reality,

Since you seem to have an answer for everything please enlighten the rest of us on how you are going to house both an NHL team and an NBA team in your arena with a pre-existing location.  Where are you going to move the ice rink too if it can't be under the hardwood?  You dont have to have to be a certified engineer to understand that it is done that way for a reason.  

The Steinbreiner example does not apply to this situation.  He does not share his stadium with an NHL team that needs ice to play on so he has alot of freedom to improve that stadium.

I guess hockey fans should suffer because King Reality only cares about Flabs knees  :nod: