Author Topic: Get it done Steelers!!!  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Get it done Steelers!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 05:21:17 PM »
I think they made judgement decisions, the majority of which were correct and happened to go against the Seahawks.

Big difference.
"Majority" = 51% or better of the games judgement calls were made correctly.
I agree with you on that.

Will the NFL start using the ref squads who worked the whole year together and stop this individual "All Star" ref nonsense.  No.

guest-koast

Get it done Steelers!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
I think they made judgement decisions, the majority of which were correct and happened to go against the Seahawks.

Big difference.
"Majority" = 51% or better of the games judgement calls were made correctly.
I agree with you on that.

Will the NFL start using the ref squads who worked the whole year together and stop this individual "All Star" ref nonsense.  No.
Can you explain to me how a ref crew that works together all year is going to make twice as many correct calls?

Reffing is a job that you don't need the same team around you all the time to do your job.  

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Get it done Steelers!!!
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2006, 07:31:45 PM »
First off, not all the judgement calls went against the Seahawks, or the game would have been decided with the Hasselbeck fumble that was overturned after review.
That fumble reversal didn't seem like much a "judgement call." The only part of that sequence that was a judgement was the referee's intial error. You could see that he'd been touched before ground caused the fumble after watching he replay once in full-speed playback.

I think the calls that were reviewable were all made correctly according to the rules. The goal line thing was iffy, but too close to say one way or the other. The holding call was weak, WEAK, WEAK!, plain and simple. The push-off in the endzone was hardly better, too. The Seahawks still had a chance after the holding call. Blame Hasslenuts for floating a duck out there, not the refs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 07:32:45 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Get it done Steelers!!!
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2006, 12:08:40 PM »
First off, not all the judgement calls went against the Seahawks, or the game would have been decided with the Hasselbeck fumble that was overturned after review.
That fumble reversal didn't seem like much a "judgement call." The only part of that sequence that was a judgement was the referee's intial error. You could see that he'd been touched before ground caused the fumble after watching he replay once in full-speed playback.

Judgement calls initially are ALWAYS made on the field of play by the refs down in the game itself. It is the review process that clears up the misconceptions made at fast speed during the game, or at least the ones that CAN be reviewed. Not all are reviewable.

I think the calls that were reviewable were all made correctly according to the rules. The goal line thing was iffy, but too close to say one way or the other. The holding call was weak, WEAK, WEAK!, plain and simple. The push-off in the endzone was hardly better, too. The Seahawks still had a chance after the holding call. Blame Hasslenuts for floating a duck out there, not the refs. 

The goal line call was not that iffy. One of the things the referee has to look at during any booth review, is where the ball placement should go. Once they saw that the ball cleared the end zone line, which it did, placement would have put the nose of the ball just over the line. That makes it a touchdown, so it was called a touchdown.

Holding calls are always judgement calls and cannot be reviewed, except by skeptical fans and coaches who have no say in them. The timing of that particular one is where an arguement can be made that at least the line judge may have been impaired by an inflated wallet.

As for the push-off in the end zone, as a Raider fan, I have no sympathy except some satisfaction that on the grandest stage of all, this questionable judgement call is at last being scrutinized. Last season, where the Raiders crawled to a 4-12 record, Randy Moss lost at least two touchdowns that could have helped win two more games for Oakland for.....subtle contact in the end zone as he caught the touchdown. Neither time was the contact that was flagged in any way responsible for Randy making the catch unimpeded, but contact like that could just as easily been defensive pass interference. The "judgement" at the time was that Randy initiated the contact, which was ridiculous, but not reviewable.

That Jackson got caught doing similar contact hardly registers as very important to a fan of a team that gets ridiculous "judgement" calls that always goes against it without a word of dispair from anyone else in the country about how biased the referees must be toward the Raiders.

That these megagods refs can go unencumbered with the threat of fines or firings is the real crime of the NFL.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 12:10:20 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Get it done Steelers!!!
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2006, 02:41:59 PM »
That these megagods refs can go unencumbered with the threat of fines or firings is the real crime of the NFL.
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/24802

For those who can't get enough (or who just like to see plays called right :up:  ).....
here are some shots of the plays.

The "hold" or not has a great angle but could pic be a lot clearer.
Scroll down, also a video clip of the Rothlessburger goaline play.  Hmmn...it's super super close either way.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Get it done Steelers!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2006, 06:06:56 PM »
Haven't read any of the posts but I hate it when a game gets decided by the refs and not the players, especailly a game as huge as the superbowel.

I cannot believe how badly the refs screwed the Seahawks, pretty much ruined the game for me.  I didn't even care who won the game but to have the refs pull it out sickened me.

Oh, well, I guess Don Kingism is creeping into the NFL.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Get it done Steelers!!!
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2006, 06:45:51 PM »
The calls that I really had a problem with.

The push off in the endzone.  That was utter bullshit.  The defender made contact FIRST, the offensive player hardly pushed off.  That should have either been a no call or offsetting calls, no way should it have ONLY been offensive pass interference.

The Pitt QB goal line call.  The ball did not clear the goal line BUT since it was INCORRECTLY rulled a touch down on the field there was NOT enough evidence to over turn it BUT it should not have been called a TD in the first place.

The holding call that cost the Hawks a TD, they would have scored that close to the goal line with 4 downs to go.  Twice in a row a Pitt player was offsides, it was BLATENT but no call, then the refs have the audicity to call a holding penalty.  Disgusting call, I pretty much tunned out after that, Pitt was going to win the Superbowl no matter what after that point.  There was no way Seattle was going to get a shot to win.

The QB below the waiste block was bullshit as well.

Those calls were game turners, momentum swingers and they killed the Seahawks.  Pitt could do no wrong.  I had no interest in the game other than it was the Superbowl.  I didn't care who won the game, I had no money on the game and I STILL got pissed at the one-sided officiating and the handing of the game to the undeserving Steelers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Get it done Steelers!!!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2006, 06:52:01 PM »
Even the Pitt QB didn't think he scored.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5313884
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"