Author Topic: Artest debuts in SacTown  (Read 2319 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« on: February 01, 2006, 04:43:56 PM »
He and Bonzi, who finally returned to the lineup after missing 19 games with a partially torn groin, look to be meshing quite well already. The Kings admittedly played very poorly and shot just over 41% as a team (Bonzi was 3-16 by himself, but rebounded the ball very well), but still won because they upped their defensive pressure. They also played most of the game without any center out on the court, with Brad Miller sidelined with a fractured thumb.

Still, Ronnie was leaping into the stands once again...only this time it was a good thing, as he chased any loose ball he could. Early returns are all positive, but the team needs a winning streak of some kind to salvage THIS season.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 08:05:10 PM »
I can't believe I'm saying this but, I think I'm starting to pull for Ron and <gasp> the Kings.  Maybe I like to root for the under-dog, maybe its b/c the Lakers and Kings rivalry is dead and both teams are currently mired-in mediocrity, or maybe I have some rare virus that is slowly cutting the flow of oxygen to my brain.  But when I read the paper today and saw that the Kings won and Ron was hustling on D and they were running the offense through him in the 4th Q in the low post.  I was happy for him and the Kings.  There, I said it.  I feel much better.  They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  

I'm sorry to hear about Miller.  That is a tough break for a team that's had more than their share of injuries this season.  Hopefully he can return soon as they will need him if they're going to make a successful run toward the playoffs.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:59:44 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this but, I think I'm starting to pull for Ron and <gasp> the Kings.  Maybe I like to root for the under-dog, maybe its b/c the Lakers and Kings rivalry is dead and both teams are currently mired-in mediocrity, or maybe I have some rare virus that is slowly cutting the flow of oxygen to my brain.  But when I read the paper today and saw that the Kings won and Ron was hustling on D and they were running the offense through him in the 4th Q in the low post.  I was happy for him and the Kings.  There, I said it.  I feel much better.  They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  

I'm sorry to hear about Miller.  That is a tough break for a team that's had more than their share of injuries this season.  Hopefully he can return soon as they will need him if they're going to make a successful run toward the playoffs.
I think its a very intresting story and alot of NBA fans are going to be following the Kings to see how it goes...either because someone wants him to fail or someone wants to see the team improve.  Personally I would like to see them play better and Artest not waste his talent by being a moron.  I thought the trade was an intresting one when JoMaL first broke the news so I'll be following it all season.  Peja looked like a new man last night against the crappy Laker defense.  The Peja circa the Laker/King rivalry.    Maybe they both are going to enjoy a new situation and new atmosphere!

msc a while ago I finally admitted I liked watching the Kings during the rivalry and I felt like I got a load of cowpatties off my chest.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 11:08:53 AM »
Thanks, msc.

The Kings seem to want to change their image from a soft team to a more robust-looking squad. In the last year, they have traded for two guys who were currently suspended by their respective teams just before being traded to the Kings. While Bonzi may have been lifting a suitcase or two off the carousel that weren't his, Artest came to town after running the whole extra baggage department at the airport.

All the pieces are in place for both of these guys to focus just on basketball and let their pasts fade away. They both are getting love from the community and as is being said over and over again, they come to Sacramento with a clean slate as far as the team and their new teammates are concerned. From what they both have been saying, it was just what they needed to clean up their sullied reputations.

But how long does it take for a guy to become just a ballplayer? Rasheed Wallace has been a choir boy in Detroit from the getgo, and with his new team winning, he is just a basketball player once again.

Maybe some teams are just not conducive to working things out with a certain element of ballplayer. The Maloofs certainly are correct when they call themselves just a couple of Vegas gamblers, willing to take a chance on these guys.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 11:32:16 AM »
I was happy for him and the Kings.  There, I said it.  I feel much better.  They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. 

Personally I would like to see them play better and Artest not waste his talent by being a moron.

msc a while ago I finally admitted I liked watching the Kings during the rivalry and I felt like I got a load of cowpatties off my chest.

You guys are going to make me cry :cry:

I am not down on the Kings this year, though with all due respect I should be. I am a bit ticked off at management for not bothering to keep some of the hard playing guys who made a difference the last few years, and, I might add, were responsible for making the Kings a most entertaining team to watch, even by its rivals.

We had to trade Webber, before it was too late. I wish him well in Philly, but at that salary and that knee, its like watching a brick wall on the verge of collapsing onto an unprotected baby. But he was the most responsible for making the Kings respectible, and his baggage was considerable before he came here. But his career, you might say, was resurrected once he accepted the trade, as was Jimmy Jackson's, who was unwanted by all NBA teams the year the Kings signed him in December.

Gerald Wallace was never given a chance by Adelman, but seems at home now in Charlotte. Hedo is becoming a fan favorite, apparently, while becoming the key scoring option in Orlando. Peja looks like he has found "understanding" early on in Indiana. Christie has gone home to Seattle, but only in Sacramento was his contributions put to the best use. Vlade hangs out in SacTown on occasion and still gets Arco standing O's when the fans see him at courtside.

Some of the other role players, like Eddie House, Bobby Jackson, Maurice Evans, Scot Pollard and especially Darius Songaila, would still be most welcome to come back, because it was those guys who made such an impact off the bench and kept the Kings in contention in most games.

Peja looked like a new man last night against the crappy Laker defense.  The Peja circa the Laker/King rivalry.    Maybe they both are going to enjoy a new situation and new atmosphere!

Under Larry Bird, if Peja is going to develop into an all-round quality small forward, it will be in Indiana. He should be excited about the opportunity, though it is hard to say if anything at this point can motivate him to be the player we always hoped he would become in Sacramento.

I heard that Phil Jackson was trying to make one of his zen pointers with his squad by sitting Kobe for long stretches in the Pacers game, to show them that they needed to contribute more. Any truth to that?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 11:33:39 AM by JoMal »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 11:40:51 AM »
Thanks, msc.

The Kings seem to want to change their image from a soft team to a more robust-looking squad. In the last year, they have traded for two guys who were currently suspended by their respective teams just before being traded to the Kings. While Bonzi may have been lifting a suitcase or two off the carousel that weren't his, Artest came to town after running the whole extra baggage department at the airport.

All the pieces are in place for both of these guys to focus just on basketball and let their pasts fade away. They both are getting love from the community and as is being said over and over again, they come to Sacramento with a clean slate as far as the team and their new teammates are concerned. From what they both have been saying, it was just what they needed to clean up their sullied reputations.

But how long does it take for a guy to become just a ballplayer? Rasheed Wallace has been a choir boy in Detroit from the getgo, and with his new team winning, he is just a basketball player once again.

Maybe some teams are just not conducive to working things out with a certain element of ballplayer. The Maloofs certainly are correct when they call themselves just a couple of Vegas gamblers, willing to take a chance on these guys.
In all fairness to Sheed he was never as bad as Artest is/was.  Sure he was hot headed and got ALOT of technicals but those came because he is a passionate player.  His passionate and drive for the game never came in question.  Not the same can be said for Artest.  So I don't think he is going to fix his image so quickly.

Still I think I will be watching much more Kings and Pacers games this year just to see how the trade turned out.  I thought it would be a good move for Indiana mainly because I thought it would get O'Neal more space.  Seeing as he is down and so is Stephen Jackson (hurt his back last night in the first half) Peja is really going to have to step up his offensive production.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 11:47:54 AM »
In all fairness to Sheed he was never as bad as Artest is/was.  Sure he was hot headed and got ALOT of technicals but those came because he is a passionate player.  His passionate and drive for the game never came in question.  Not the same can be said for Artest.  So I don't think he is going to fix his image so quickly.

Still I think I will be watching much more Kings and Pacers games this year just to see how the trade turned out.  I thought it would be a good move for Indiana mainly because I thought it would get O'Neal more space.  Seeing as he is down and so is Stephen Jackson (hurt his back last night in the first half) Peja is really going to have to step up his offensive production.
Jackson got hurt? Do you know how long he might be out?

For all of Peja's offensive prowess, carrying a team is not really his strength. He needs good screens to be most effective.

One other thing. This was somewhat surprising to me, but guess who is leading the League this year in technicals?

Another Kings player - Sharif Abdur-Rahim. He even got one the other night and his jaw is still wired shut, making his speech practically incomprehensible. What on earth could he have done to get himself "T'ed" up, I have no idea, as I missed that game.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 12:06:42 PM »
In all fairness to Sheed he was never as bad as Artest is/was.  Sure he was hot headed and got ALOT of technicals but those came because he is a passionate player.  His passionate and drive for the game never came in question.  Not the same can be said for Artest.  So I don't think he is going to fix his image so quickly.

Still I think I will be watching much more Kings and Pacers games this year just to see how the trade turned out.  I thought it would be a good move for Indiana mainly because I thought it would get O'Neal more space.  Seeing as he is down and so is Stephen Jackson (hurt his back last night in the first half) Peja is really going to have to step up his offensive production.
Jackson got hurt? Do you know how long he might be out?

For all of Peja's offensive prowess, carrying a team is not really his strength. He needs good screens to be most effective.

One other thing. This was somewhat surprising to me, but guess who is leading the League this year in technicals?

Another Kings player - Sharif Abdur-Rahim. He even got one the other night and his jaw is still wired shut, making his speech practically incomprehensible. What on earth could he have done to get himself "T'ed" up, I have no idea, as I missed that game.
He hurt his lower back when he charged into Brian Cook sometime during the 1st half.  He got x-rays done and their are no fractures according to what I am reading right now.  It was actually said to be a hip contusion.

Last night Peja was spotting up and cutting like Vlade Divac was wearing yellow.  I was pretty suprised and I think you would have been also.  That was NOT the Peja I had seen in the few games I caught prior to the trade.  In fact that wasn't even the Peja I saw last year.  He was moving very well and since there were no all-star type guys on the floor except himself he seemed to be the floor leader.

Did Steve Javie T up Rahim?  :D   Where is Skander?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »

Did Steve Javie T up Rahim?  :D   Where is Skander?
It was in the Toronto game, officiated by Jim Clark. Hmmm.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 03:23:34 PM »
An optimistic outlook for the Kings.  The question, JoMaL, do you agree?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In one crazy year, Petrie rebuilds high-flying Kings into hard-nosed team

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
February 8, 2006

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- When Mike Bibby and Brad Miller show up for practice these days, they sometimes wonder if they've been traded to another team.

With one dramatic departure after another over the last two seasons, nearly everything has changed in Sacramento. Though the last-place Kings have reached the playoffs in seven straight seasons, they bear almost no resemblance to the club that showcased one of the NBA's most flowing offenses while earning two Pacific Division titles and falling a few missed free throws short of the 2002 NBA Finals.

"Change always happens in this league, but we made a lot of changes pretty quick," said Miller, the two-time All-Star center who joined the Kings in 2003. "I guess it's exciting. It is, but it's tough, too."

Sensing the decline of his masterwork before anyone else, Geoff Petrie embarked on a whirlwind of moves highlighted by high-salaried star Chris Webber's departure for Philadelphia last February. By trading Peja Stojakovic to Indiana last month, the Kings parted with the last holdover from the first edition of the perennial contender Petrie built in the late 1990s.

Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, claims the trades were emotionally difficult, but it's difficult to tell whether one of the NBA's most secretive executives means it.

Though he had great affection for the departed Webber, Stojakovic, Vlade Divac, Doug Christie and Bobby Jackson, Petrie also seems to relish the challenge of building another winner from scratch.

"The team that we had could not continue to exist," Petrie said. "Because of age, injury, it could not get to that same level. It had to change. I wish this team could have been frozen in time for 10 years, but that's not the reality."

The speed of the demolition job was stunning, with four big trades and two significant free-agent signings in the last 14 months alone. But the bigger surprise is the Kings' new look: Petrie has rebuilt his high-scoring team into a veteran club with several strong defenders and a mix of volatile personalities.

The gamble suits owners Joe and Gavin Maloof. After being away from Sacramento for large parts of the season to tend to family and business matters, they were back on the sidelines Tuesday night when Ron Artest, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Bonzi Wells and the reconfigured Kings played awkward offense and solid defense in a 98-91 win over Denver.

Bibby and promising second-year guard Kevin Martin were the only players in uniform who had been with the team for more than a calendar year. Miller, out with a broken finger, is the only other holdover from the team that finished 2003-04 with a seven-game loss to Minnesota in the conference semifinals.

The Kings' new look will take months to perfect, and some believe the transition won't be complete unless another coach replaces Rick Adelman, whose offense-first approach has been remarkably successful, but might not work with his current roster.

But Adelman believes he can adjust. Against the Nuggets, he put Artest in charge of his half-court offense -- one of many significant changes possible with his new roster.

Artest, with a long history of stellar first impressions, has been charming and charismatic since joining the Kings, his one-day hesitation on the trade notwithstanding. His hustle is thrilling to Sacramento fans who have watched their losing team trudge through this season.

Sacramento has enjoyed success with players who have been problems elsewhere, from Webber and Jason Williams to Vernon Maxwell and Jon Barry. Artest already can feel the love in Arco Arena.

"Sac is different. I love Indiana, but it's different out here," Artest said. "The crowd is unbelievable. When I was in Indy, the crowd fed off me. Here, sometimes I wasn't even in the game, and they were going crazy."

In his first three games with Sacramento, Artest repeatedly exhorted his teammates to talk more on defense. He also took Martin and rookie Francisco Garcia under his wing defensively.

"Young guys need to be reminded of what it takes to be a good defensive player," the 26-year-old Artest said. "I just try to help out and tell guys what other guys told me when I came in the league."

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

jn

Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 03:43:03 PM »
The crowd fed off Artest in Indiana?

Yeah Ron, people in Indiana never really truly CARED about basketball tell you got there.

In any event the Kings, if healthy, still have enough talent be a factor this year.  Even if they don't make the playoffs I don't see them as a team that is going to roll over in hopes of moving up the draft board.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 03:51:54 PM »
The crowd fed off Artest in Indiana?

Yeah Ron, people in Indiana never really truly CARED about basketball tell you got there.
Artest:  I also invented the Internet.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 03:54:28 PM »
Hold on.  If the crowd fed off of Artest, then a couple of things start to make sense....

...first of all, it makes a lot more sense as to what he was doing at the scorer's table in Detroit...  

...he was trying to act like a table...laying there, as a flat surface...something to serve food off of - doing what comes naturally for a table.  Something the crowd in Indiana could feed off of.

Also makes it more clear why the fan in Detroit tried to put a beer on him.

This whole Detroit/Indiana fiasco was just a simple misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 03:55:26 PM by Joe Vancil »
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jn

Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 04:53:12 PM »
:D Joe.  

And reality maybe we can alter the song about Brian Boitano from the South Park movie to fit Ron.  You know, when he builty the pyramids and defeated Kubla Kahn?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Artest debuts in SacTown
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 05:32:54 PM »
Hold on. If the crowd fed off of Artest, then a couple of things start to make sense....

...first of all, it makes a lot more sense as to what he was doing at the scorer's table in Detroit...

...he was trying to act like a table...laying there, as a flat surface...something to serve food off of - doing what comes naturally for a table. Something the crowd in Indiana could feed off of.

Also makes it more clear why the fan in Detroit tried to put a beer on him.

This whole Detroit/Indiana fiasco was just a simple misunderstanding.

:lol2:

And reality maybe we can alter the song about Brian Boitano from the South Park movie to fit Ron. You know, when he builty the pyramids and defeated Kubla Kahn?

That'd be funny: but "What would Ron Artest do?" just doesn't have enough syllables to be right.  Maybe "What would Ronnie Artesties do"......I don't know.    

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."