Author Topic: Best win by the Sixers all year.  (Read 1814 times)

rickortreat

Best win by the Sixers all year.
« on: January 30, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »
Last night, the Sixers beat Orlando on the Magic's home floor without Allen Iverson, winning their second straight without him.

This avenges a loss by the Sixers to Orlando at their home a week ago, where AI was in the game until the end of regulation, where he suffered an ankle injury.

The thing about the game was that the Sixers managed to stay close throughout the game, and then take control at the end instead of folding like they usually do.  They prevent the Magic from getting easy shots, controlled the boards and executed their offenence, putting pressure on Orlando to score.

A number of players stepped up, including John Salmons and Kevin Ollie.  Dalembert had an effective game in the middle and CWebb continues to play at an all star level.

I don't think the Sixers are a better team without AI, but they play more like a team with AI out of the lineup.  The team tends to stand around and watch while AI is in the game, and as a result AI does most of the scoring.  A challenge for the rest of the year is for Cheeks to find a way to enable AI to do his thing while emphasizing the team play that has enabled them to win the past few games.

I would say that there are too many times in the game where AI forces the issue, instead of running the Sixers offense.  The team is better when they run more plays and rely less on AI to break the defense down.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 12:02:27 PM »
I don't think the Sixers are a better team without AI, but they play more like a team with AI out of the lineup. The team tends to stand around and watch while AI is in the game, and as a result AI does most of the scoring. A challenge for the rest of the year is for Cheeks to find a way to enable AI to do his thing while emphasizing the team play that has enabled them to win the past few games.

I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to standing around, believe me.  The thing is that with AI's assists up this year you would think that the players would know if you cut he will hit you with the ball.  If the players are not moving what else is AI suppose to do but shoot?

The problem is not with AI or him not playing team ball, its with the Sixers acting like they have a seat and a beer when he touches the ball.  Cheeks needs to find a way to drill in their head that they need to constantly move without the ball.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 12:02:47 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:47:42 PM »
The problem is not with AI or him not playing team ball, its with the Sixers acting like they have a seat and a beer when he touches the ball.  Cheeks needs to find a way to drill in their head that they need to constantly move without the ball.
What a lost art that is, moving without the ball.
Dan

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 01:06:18 PM »
the 76ers these last two games still don't move without the ball.  Webber/Salmons combo have taken about the same % of shots Iverson/Webber do, and Igudoala, Dalembert, etc are still non-existant at times offensviely.

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 01:44:13 PM »
the 76ers these last two games still don't move without the ball. Webber/Salmons combo have taken about the same % of shots Iverson/Webber do, and Igudoala, Dalembert, etc are still non-existant at times offensviely.

So true Dabods, I see Igoudala taking himself out of the game at times.  He just goes to the baseline wing and just stands there waiting.  Sometimes they pass him the ball, but most of the time he just stands there.

Cheeks should have him running around a la Reggie Miller, at least forcing his man to follow him and expend energy.

Sam does at least call for the ball at times, but the truth is, there's allways an opportunity to get him the ball before the defender is ready.  A good point is waiting for that moment to deliver the pass, but the Sixers never to be in synch that way and the opportunity is missed.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »
Just curious, but do you think some of this might be that Webber's complaints about running the offense through him, might get to be tested without the light of Iverson blinding the experiment?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 01:52:15 PM »
the 76ers these last two games still don't move without the ball. Webber/Salmons combo have taken about the same % of shots Iverson/Webber do, and Igudoala, Dalembert, etc are still non-existant at times offensviely.

So why have they won the last two games in impressive fashion?

John Salmons started off the year, slashing to the middle, finding people on the wing, agressive, agressive.  As the year wore on and the minutes for the bench players were few and far in between John got a little less excited with each passing day.  This guy can flat out play and I think Mo would do well to put the ball in his hands more often even when Iverson comes back.

Usually I'm on here screaming for coaches to shorten the rotation, I think Philly needs to expand the rotation.  Iverson and Webber don't need to be at 40+ minutes game in and game out.  Surely the fresher legs would shave a point or two from Philly's horrid Opponent PPG.  

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 03:18:43 PM »
Just curious, but do you think some of this might be that Webber's complaints about running the offense through him, might get to be tested without the light of Iverson blinding the experiment?

Actually (and I know somebody on the training staff), Webber's blowup in the lockerroom after Mo Cheeks blew up about not being able to get the team to play defense because the two biggest defensive problems on the teams (Iverson and Webber) weren't practicing.  Webber was sitting out at the time because of a back strain, and AI was missing because of his typical <insert excuse here> reason.  Webber snapped back that they shouldn't have been called out publicly in front of the team.  From what I heard, it had nothing to do with offense.

Only thing I heard about Webber is that he'd like to do more creating, not about his shots.  But, like we're all talking about here, nobody (sans Korver) moves without the ball.  So it's hard to run the offense through him.

Besides, the 76ers are top 3 in ppg, top 5 in fg%, and top 5 in 3pt%.  offense ain't the problem.

Usually I'm on here screaming for coaches to shorten the rotation, I think Philly needs to expand the rotation. Iverson and Webber don't need to be at 40+ minutes game in and game out. Surely the fresher legs would shave a point or two from Philly's horrid Opponent PPG.

I agree.  Not only for defense, but for late in games.  We lead the league in blown 4th quarter leads (I believe).  With a longer rotation (or a better bench, who knows), we could be running away with the atlantic.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 03:33:07 PM »
I think you should differentiate between an offense that scores a lot and an offense that is scoring within a framework of an offensive set. At times, it appears that teams are scoring easily enough but players are out of position to fall back effectively on defense afterwards, so the scoring seesaws instead of stay controlled. Detroit and the Spurs are good examples of keeping the offense run though sets while getting players to still get back on defense.

I would guess that the last two Philly games had more of a controlled offense that allowed the team to set up defensively better to deal with the opponents attack.

Running set offenses through Webber would help to do that. It was why the Kings, even though they were never a stellar defensive squad, could always slow down opponents enough to keep and maintain leads.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

rickortreat

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 03:43:44 PM »
The rotation should be expanded, absolutely.  The problem there is, Mo doesn't know what he has and is still experimenting.  

Nailon turned out to be a bust, and IMO, Mo was expecting him to be their 6th man.  As it is either Korver or Salmons make much better 6th men.  

Cheeks is overelying on AI and CWebb, which is understandable, but a mistake non-theless.  

The thing is, no one else on the roster is ready to be a go to guy.  Korver and Igoudala aren't ready for that kind of pressure, and neither is Salmons.

All this was forseeable from the begging, that the Sixers would take time to develop into a good team. The pieces are there, but most of them are too young and inexperienced.  I would expect a number of setbacks ahead.  They are improving, but they are a long way from being an established team with that knows what to do on a nightly basis to win.

The Sixers won't be a finished product until Iverson stays within the offense 70%-80% of the time.  AI's tendency is to take matters into his own hands, and that's the easy way for him.  But for the team as a whole, they all need for AI to work harder on setting up other players, penetrating to pass instead of taking it to the rack.   And the other players, particularly Iggy and Korver, they need to want the  ball more and to move aggressively without it, demanding the ball as they cut into the lane.

The discipline of forcing AI to play team ball on offence is going to be very hard for him.  Particularly when other teams turn up the heat defensively, he will want to just put his head down and go.  That is where the Sixers become a weak, unbalanced team.  It will be hard to criticize AI for doing what he has allways done, but Cheeks is  going to have to impose his will, so that the first instinct when the pressure comes is to run the offensive sets.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 04:21:37 PM »
Cheeks is overelying on AI and CWebb, which is understandable, but a mistake non-theless.

If I'm Pat Croce (by the way, does he still own the Sixers?), I go up to Mo and go Billy King is making me pay through the nose for these guys, make them earn their keep.  

In Dalembert and Hunter, you have a pretty darn good 1-2 punch as a defensive center.  If nothing else Stephen Hunter is 6 fouls.  Iguodala has been a defensive prodigy from the outset.  Korver has learned some, still a matador at times.  Salmons can hold his own.  Webber will occasionally get beat (slow-footed/conditioning) but that's what you have Mr. 6 fouls and the league's leading shot-blocker for.  So now you need Iverson to remain disciplined, quit cheating in the passing lanes, and force your people to the help.  I mean the roster oozes defensive capability, there is no reason for them to be the fourth worst team in the association in Opp PPG and amongst the 10 worst in Opp FG%.  

As far as running offensive sets to better position players to get back on D, I don't know about that.  Mo Cheeks (the pen-ultimate players coach) needs to run whoever doesn't get back on D suicides until they puke.  Getting back on defense is about effort moreso than using one offensive set or another.        
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 05:18:23 PM »
Croce's still a minority owner, but he has no say on the team.  He's been gone since 2001.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
dabods and rt specifically but anyone else who wants to contribute:

Based on what you have seen of the Sixers up until now, Mo:

a.  Is doing a fabulous job.  Coach of Year or near Coach of Year.

be) Is doing a very good job

c.  Is doing an above average

d.  Average

e  below average

d  poor

f very crappy

g.  He needs to be replaced

H.  Many-(most?) NBA players are uncoachable.  Mo or not makes no difference.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 06:23:47 PM by Reality »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 06:35:33 PM »
combination of d and h.

There are 3, maybe 4, coaches who would have this group playing above average defense.  Mo's not one of them.  After a while you can't teach old dogs new tricks, and AI and CWebb have never bought into the defensive side of the ball.

But mo hasn't helped either.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 09:44:53 AM »
I'm sorry, but a win over Orlando is a win over ORLANDO.  That doesn't qualify as a "great win."

Wolverine turned me on to this, and after watching the better part of an Orlando game, I was ready to turn the video back to the little league team I'm coaching.  Orlando has talent - but COACHING is holding that team back SEVERELY.  Caleb pointed that out - and he's RIGHT.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!