Author Topic: Peja for Artest trade heating up...  (Read 3041 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Peja for Artest trade heating up...
« on: January 24, 2006, 12:10:45 PM »
Once again, the scouts for the Indiana Pacers have been following the Sacramento Kings around, trying to gauge whether or not a Peja Stojakovic for Ron Artest trade is the best viable option available to the team to rid itself of one of the most controversial players ever to don an NBA uniform.

If they are going by his last three games, the ones in which Peja returned from his latest stint on the disabled list, this time for that troublesome protruding disc in his back, they might start to consider that maybe Ron is just a bit misunderstood afterall.

The famed Peter Vescey, reknown worldwide as the pundit with the penchant for faux pas, let it slip out during his weekly psychoanalysis of all things he deems important to the NBA that the decision to pull the trigger on this swap is totally in the hands of the Sacramento Kings. The Pacers, to no ones surprise, are quite willing to make the deal. We all, apparently, are now just waiting for Geoff Petrie to turn the sinking Kings ship around by bringing in the one guy who can make this chemistry thingy work for the team.

The rest of us here in Sacramento just stained our chairs in the kitchen nook as we downed our Cheerios after hearing about this on the morning sports talk radio, then hacked up the remains when much of it was confirmed by this morning's Sacramento Bee.  

But does Peja, who once requested a trade, want to leave Sacramento now, in his contract year, and the expected top contract deal awaiting him somewhere.

Apparently not even.

"I would love to play for the Kings for the rest of my career", said Stojakovic. "That would be a good thing. I think every player that ends with the team he started with, that means something."

Peja, who recently played in his 518th game as a Sacramento King, surpassing Mitch Richmond in the longevity record with the team since it moved to Sacramento, also said he would turn down bigger offers and would consider a "hometown" discount.

"I think money is not going to be a huge thing in my mind," he said. "it's what I think, what I feel like".

But then, Peja's shooting stats, which truly are the measure of the man as an NBA player, have fallen ever since his all star season two years ago, when he averaged 24.2 points per game while shooting 48 percent from the field. His shooting fell off to 20.1 and 44.4 percent the following year, then plummeted to 16.9 points per game and 40.5 percent so far in this injury-splattered season. Frankly, he really does not warrant a maximum salary, since his other contributions to the team are not what might be deemed stellar in comparison to other small forwards in the League. This, in his contract season, yet. (He has a player option of 8.2 million for next season, but no one expects him to take it).

But while a straight up trade for Ron Artest's TALENT for the injury-prone and lost shooting touch of Peja Stojakovic is a no-brainer, the lack of a brain on the part of Ron "Stonehenge" Artest makes any suggestion of this deal to reasonably sane Kings fans cringeworthy.

To Peter Vescey for his insightful reporting of this deal happening -  :moon:  :bash:  :drunk:    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:18:57 PM »
The famed Peter Vescey, reknown worldwide as the pundit with the penchant for faux pas, let it slip out during his weekly psychoanalysis of all things he deems important to the NBA

LMAO..

Now that the Kings are turning it around and staring to play better ball do you still make the deal for Artest?  Do you trade a player with a hurt back for a player with an injured brain?  I say yes, call in someone who is close to god (preacher or preist), and have a prayer session that he will realize this is his last chance to make millions to play basketball.   If the defense on this team improves, as it will with Artest, I think that they will climb back up into the playoff race after the allstar break.  This however is a big gamble.  The Maloofs know all about odds on bets so I think they would weigh the options at least for another 3 weeks.  If the Kings string together a bunch of wins then no trade will be made.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:46:23 PM »
Bonzi ... Artest ....

I heard J.R. Rider was spotted on a corner in Oak-Town last weekend slingin' dice with a trunk load of stolen cell phones in his possession ...

Rodman just got out of rehab and is actively looking for employment ....

Do it Petrie, assemble the ultimate ALL-HEADCASE-ALL-STAR TEAM!  

Seriously, the Kings should consider this move ... what have they got to lose?  I think the Lakers should consider it too.  Whoever ultimately decides to make a move for Artest, they should hold out until right before the trade deadline and hope Indiana panics and dumps him just to be rid of the cancer.  The way I see it, Indiana has to be prepared to hold Artest on their books for the rest of the season ... if not, they're going to get jammed.  They have zero leverage in negotiations.  And if I'm the Pacers, I would be thrilled to get an oft-injured Peja in return for Artest.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 12:55:34 PM »
Michael Finley and Shawn Marks for Artest. :rofl:

:rolleyes:

:mellow:  I like that trade.

Too many fwd-centers on Spurs?  Okay Rasho for Artest. :up:
Especially after seeing Fabs handle Shaq one on one several times on Sunday.  To go along with 4-5 shooting <sigh>.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:38:47 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:08:12 PM »
Besides being some kind of newly evolved idiot that no one has ever diagnosed before, Artest seems not to mind getting extended vacations during the regular season. Gives him an opportunity to advertise the latest CD from his recording company, like he did the week after the Detriot fiasco last year. And he was not even rapping on it, but was just pushing the three female singers he was sponsoring.

Exactly how does he prepare to play basketball while he is suspended all the time?    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 01:14:34 PM »
Exactly how does he prepare to play basketball while he is suspended all the time?
"Practice?  You're talking about p-r-a-c-t-i-c-e?"

Actually its a good point.  I wonder if/where/who Artest is hooping it up with.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 02:46:15 PM »
You are long disconnected from anyone who is remotely 'young'.  This statement proves you are aging fast JoMaL.  Anyone who doesn't get discount coffee at Denny's due to age can tell you that promoting rap albums and hanging out with homies in the Queensbridge Project in Queens, NY is how you fine tune your game.

You =  :crazy:  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »
Don't know if I should start a new thread for this, but ESPN is reporting this is a done deal.  

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304512

I think this is a great trade for Indy.  Even with Peja's injuries, they get rid of a cancer and acquire up an outside shooting threat at the same time.  

It a gamble for Sac, but if anyone one needs to shake things up and toughen up their D at the same time, it's the Kings.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 05:27:35 PM »
Don't know if I should start a new thread for this, but ESPN is reporting this is a done deal. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304512

I think this is a great trade for Indy.  Even with Peja's injuries, they get rid of a cancer and acquire up an outside shooting threat at the same time. 

It a gamble for Sac, but if anyone one needs to shake things up and toughen up their D at the same time, it's the Kings.
The black cloud slowly drifts over the City of Sacramento, as a dark image in the shape of a part-time rap promoter nears the home of JoMal, who innocently ponders the NBA Fates who would consider inflicting this cancerous blob of.....

<PPPPPSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWEERRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPP>

Finally, the Sacramento Kings have made THE personnel move that will kickstart this season. [size=8]<bandwagon comes into view>[/size] The well-rested Ron Artest, long coveted by the Sacramento faithful, will soon be dominating the boards and the defense where all of us Sacramentians knew he would eventually wind up - - right here in River City.

Take THAT you SoCal Artesty wanabees in Clipperville and Lakerland    :P

We win the sweapskates. YEAH!!! :moon:   :hotbounce:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 05:28:13 PM by JoMal »

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 06:20:39 PM »
Aside from the off-the-court issues involving Artest, I see this as a better deal for the Pacers.

The Kings pick up a great defensive player, but they're one of the worst defensive teams in the league, so how much can he help them by himself?

Indiana could use some offense, especially from the outside, and Peja (IF healthy) will give them that.  I just don't think that back of his will be ready for the challenge.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »
msc,

I clicked your link and it took me to this article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIANAPOLIS -- A tentative agreement for a trade that would have sent the Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for Peja Stojakovic has been rejected, ESPN's Jim Gray reported Tuesday.

Gray reported earlier Tuesday that both teams had agreed to the trade, pending league approval. Then, according to Gray, Artest informed both teams he did not want to go to the Kings. In light of that, Gray reported, the Kings have decided to reject the trade.

The undone deal marks yet another chapter in the Pacers' latest drama involving the volatile star forward.

Artest was a key component to a team that was expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He led the league in steals and was the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points a game before being deactivated after publicly requesting a trade in early December.

In five years with the Pacers, Artest was an All-Star once and was the NBA's defensive player of the year in 2003-04.

Pacers GM Larry Bird said the Pacers had been interested in Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers, but there was "no question" that Maggette's sprained left foot affected the process. Maggette averaged 21.7 points in 13 games before getting injured in early December.

The Pacers have lost four of their last five games, including Monday to the Atlanta Hawks, who have the NBA's worst record.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did I have to select him as a keeper, WHY, WHY, WHY???
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 06:43:48 PM »
msc,

I clicked your link and it took me to this article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIANAPOLIS -- A tentative agreement for a trade that would have sent the Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for Peja Stojakovic has been rejected, ESPN's Jim Gray reported Tuesday.

Gray reported earlier Tuesday that both teams had agreed to the trade, pending league approval. Then, according to Gray, Artest informed both teams he did not want to go to the Kings. In light of that, Gray reported, the Kings have decided to reject the trade.

The undone deal marks yet another chapter in the Pacers' latest drama involving the volatile star forward.

Artest was a key component to a team that was expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He led the league in steals and was the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points a game before being deactivated after publicly requesting a trade in early December.

In five years with the Pacers, Artest was an All-Star once and was the NBA's defensive player of the year in 2003-04.

Pacers GM Larry Bird said the Pacers had been interested in Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers, but there was "no question" that Maggette's sprained left foot affected the process. Maggette averaged 21.7 points in 13 games before getting injured in early December.

The Pacers have lost four of their last five games, including Monday to the Atlanta Hawks, who have the NBA's worst record.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did I have to select him as a keeper, WHY, WHY, WHY???
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
They retracted it LOL

Dont you love when the media so badly wants to break a story they jump the gun only to have to re-edit the page?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 06:57:09 PM »
Wait, I hear the trade is OFF now because Artest doesn't WANT to play in SacTown!!!

Take THAT you SoCal Artesty wanabees in Clipperville and Lakerland

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Umm, what happened to SacTown being the town that EVERYONE wanted to play in?  

And Petrie?  He went from the man with the golden touch to the man who:
  Landed an undersized Kenny Thomas
  Traded for Bonzi Wells
  And couldn't land Ron Artest

Hmm, SacTown has GOT to be feeling SOOOO proud tonight!!!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 07:20:26 PM »

They probably are because I am sure alot of them didn't want Mr. headcase in the first place in exchange for a stand up player who has been with the team for years.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 07:31:47 PM »
Umm, what happened to SacTown being the town that EVERYONE wanted to play in? 

And Petrie?  He went from the man with the golden touch to the man who:
  Landed an undersized Kenny Thomas
  Traded for Bonzi Wells
  And couldn't land Ron Artest

OOOOH!!

That hurts soooo much, Randy, it almost feels good.

Peja doesn't really want to go to Indiana either, but I am in Artest's corner on this one. If he doesn't want to come here, I will hurt for a while, I admit, but life will go on, eventually.

Not to be a bit snippy with you, but Bonzi has been the real deal for us until he got hurt, and the Thomas trade was to rid the Kings of Webber's salary more then adding replacements. Sometimes you have to step back to go forward and the fruits of that trade won't be apparent until after next season anyway, when the Skinner and Williamson deals are over.

What those deals did was relieve the Kings of one very expensive salary due a much less effective Chris Webber, who apparently is clamering for more involvement in the offense in Philly these days, and an injury-prove, though uplifting, backup point guard.

The latest blow-up coming out of Philly over Webber comes as no surprise. It really is pointless to have Webber on your team unless you run the offense through him, and that ain't gonna happen in Iverson's world. By shipping Jackson to the Grizzlies, he is finally getting the opportunity to run his own team, which he never would have done in Sacramento. And Bonzi has been terrific for the Kings, so I am not sure what you are implying with that remark. He has been much better for us then Odom has been for you.

If you want to comment on the lack of team chemistry on the Kings and the lack of resolve and leadership this team now exhibits, be my guest because that is all true. But Bonzi is not the problem in that regard either. He just can't play these days.

Artest's not wanting to come to Sacramento probably has more to do with his committment to his rap label, which would work out for him in LA but hardly in the wrap capital of California, Sacramento.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 07:32:40 PM by JoMal »