Author Topic: Anyone catch the Laker/Heat game last night?  (Read 4685 times)

Guest_Randy

Anyone catch the Laker/Heat game last night?
« on: January 17, 2006, 09:38:03 AM »
History in the making as Shaq and Kobe shook hands and gave each other a little hug -- it brought tears to my eyes!  Okay, really I was just shaking my head as the announcers/media talked about how "big" these guys were for putting their personal grudges behind them!  lol  Hopefully, people figure out how to do this before they get 25+ years old.

Also, I LOVED Bynums push on Shaq after he faced him with the spin move.  Kind of funny how everyone is starting to see how slow Shaq is these days (out-of-shape and lazy).  Bynum puts a move on Shaq, leaves him in the dust and dunks the ball -- then goes down the court and gives Shaq a little elbow as if to say "hey, I'm not afraid of you -- take that."  Shaq retaliated and a double foul was called.  Okay, I liked the spin move Bynum but the elbow push was a bit foolish -- you DON'T want to motivate Shaq to punish you -- luckily, it wasn't enough of a push to motivate Shaq.

Couple of other observations:

1)  Okay, Kobe, I'm glad you showed up to play offense but how about playing a little D as well.  Kobe went through screens like he didn't care if Wade got to shoot a lay-up.  It was good to see Kobe score most of his points within the scheme of the offense rather than freelancing.

2)  I REALLY like Smush Parker!!!!  :bounce:

3)  Okay, Kwame is STILL a waste on offense but he has been playing some REALLY solid defense recently!   :eek2:

4)  Wow, who has taught Mihm some offense moves?  He still takes some shots that he shouldn't but he is learning a little jump hook that is pretty impressive -- can't help but wonder if Kareem is paying off with Mihm.

5)  Is Odom FINALLY learning the triangle offense?

The Lakers with Kobe, Odom, Smush, Mihm, Kwame, Cook, George, Walton, etc. BEAT the Heat with Wade, Shaq, Williams, Posey, Haslem, Payton and Walker?  :eek3:  

jn

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 09:55:19 AM »
Yep Randy, I saw much of the game and all I can say is Joe Crawford is a complete tool.  It was bad enough that Shaq should have been tossed for going upside Bynum's head but to follow that with tossing Cook?   :nonono:

Announcers and the networks always seem to confuse Crawfords "colorfulness" and big mouth with great officiating.  

Very nice win for the Lakers in any event.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »
Actually, Skander, his wife, and I went to watch a different Pat Riley loss.

Glory Road is an AWESOME movie.  Only three players in the movie whose names I recognized:  Jojo White, Pat Riley, and Louie Dampier.

Interesting portrayal of Adolph Rupp.  While it portrayed him as hostile, and perhaps a bit arrogant, it went more along with Pat Riley's portrayal of the man rather than as being the out-and-out racist he is often reputed to be.  

If you're a basketball fan - CATCH THIS MOVIE.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:29:32 AM »
2) I REALLY like Smush Parker!!!! 

Randy, you're still high off the win, you'll come down.

3) Okay, Kwame is STILL a waste on offense but he has been playing some REALLY solid defense recently! 

WHAT?!?!  COMMISSIONER, WE HAVE AN IMPOSTOR ON THE BOARD!!  Who are you and what have you done with Randy.

4) Wow, who has taught Mihm some offense moves?

I seem to remember commenting on Mihm's underrated offense when one of you Laker fans said something along the lines of Bynum being the best big man on the roster.  

5) Is Odom FINALLY learning the triangle offense?

From what I've seen, not only has Odom long since learned the triangle, he's spent the majority of the season trying to teach it to Kobe!!  While Odom has blossomed in the triangle, flirting with a triple double seemingly EVERY game, Kobe keeps hijacking the whole thing to get another 40.

I thinks its funny what a quality win against a hated foe (Shaq) does for a Laker fans disposition concerning Laker players not named Kobe Bryant.  

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 10:49:16 AM »

3) Okay, Kwame is STILL a waste on offense but he has been playing some REALLY solid defense recently! 

WHAT?!?!  COMMISSIONER, WE HAVE AN IMPOSTOR ON THE BOARD!!  Who are you and what have you done with Randy.

I seem to remember commenting on Mihm's underrated offense when one of you Laker fans said something along the lines of Bynum being the best big man on the roster.  

From what I've seen, not only has Odom long since learned the triangle, he's spent the majority of the season trying to teach it to Kobe!!  While Odom has blossomed in the triangle, flirting with a triple double seemingly EVERY game, Kobe keeps hijacking the whole thing to get another 40.

I thinks its funny what a quality win against a hated foe (Shaq) does for a Laker fans disposition concerning Laker players not named Kobe Bryant.

I've stated this all year long -- it's not his offense as much as it is his defense and hard work.

You would think so, huh?  Brown is STILL a waste for his salary, IMO, but his defense (the last couple of games that I have seen) has been very solid.  This is the guy who used to try to go for every block shot in the world (see Dalembert) but now is becoming more concerned with defense than padding his block stats.  I, actually would have posted this before but I thought it was just one game!

Until rather recently, Mihm's offensive arsenal was either a dunk or a 18 footer facing the basket.  He OBVIOUSLY has had some tutilage from somewhere because he didn't have these moves at the beginning of the season.  Somebody is finding Mihm's offensive and defensive abilities -- most of us never realized he had any!

By-the-way, before you get a little carried away, should we reflect on your Kwame comments posted before the year?  Hate to break your bubble with a dose of "reality."

Actually, I've not seen Odom be comfortable in the triangle offense until the past 5 or so games.  I don't mind Kobe scoring 40 points as LONG as it's within the scope of the offense -- Kobe HAS scored 40 points within the scope of the offense (see Dallas and Clips) -- he almost had 40 last night and with the exception of about 3 or 4 shots, most were within the triangle offense.  

Hmm, well you do have one thing right in that sentence (I definately don't want to fail to notice when you get something right) -- it was a quality win!  Is Shaq a "hated foe?"  Not in my book.  He's actually a bit more of a frustration and disappointment than a "hated foe."  The guy had as much potential as ANYONE in the league to be one of the top players to ever play the game.  He will still garner a lot of arguments in his favor but there's that nagging knowledge of the fact that he wasn't driven to be in his best shape and leave it on the court every night that will always taint his legacy.  

As for the rest of the team, I'm not as excited about the win as I am about the way the Lakers (as a team) are playing defense right now.  They are currently, ranked in a tie with Detroit, I believe, defensively!  I think THAT'S an amazing stat -- and it's just not one player -- it's the whole team.  In fact, I would say that the entire starting roster played better defense than Kobe did last night -- not that any of these guys are phenomenal defensive players -- they are just playing very well as a team and THAT will get them into the playoffs.  Seeing this Laker squad playing this kind of defense is something to be excited about -- for fans who stick with one team, you have to find something to get excited over in rebuilding years!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 10:56:44 AM »
Few comments:

Bynum did not mean to bully Shaq or piss him off.  His emotions were just through the roof.  Not only does he never get playing time but he rarely gets to score, let alone play against a center who is bigger than life.    Shaq and Tim Duncan are Bynum's two favorite players.  Exactly how would you feel if you were able to dunk on Shaq?!  Especially after he POSTERIZED you something serious.  I love how Phil Jackson put Bynum in to say 'Welcome to the NBA kiddo'

Wade is too much for Kobe on the offensive end.  You may want him to play defense against Wade but I think hes too much for Kobe because of his ability to slither around.  Kerr said it best last night, Wade and Manu are the two best players in squezing through the cracks to get to the paint.  At the same time you have to respect his mid-range jumper so its tough for anyone to guard.

Skander, Randy actually isnt high off one win because Smush has been playing solid defense for quite along time now.  He's held his own against Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Baron Davis, and a list of other of the better players in the backcourt.  He also is coming off a 24 point 12 rebound game against GS.  So while you may think he's a no-name he has been playing great ball for the Lakers since before the hit 5-1 on that roadtrip a few weeks ago.

As for the hug, Pat Riley deserves the props for that because he is the one who told Shaq to do it for the team and Shaq, having alot of respect for Riles, went over and extended his hand.  

Oh ya, Barkley is a moron.  I use to love to hear the off the wall stuff he use to say but now not only is it off the wall he goes off topic when Kenny is trying to speak on something.  TNT puts together a little piece (as corny as it was) for what happend and Barkley goes off in another direction because he wasnt getting enough attention.

:rolleyes: @ Odom teaching Kobe the triangle.  I didnt know Odom was teaching Kobe by Kobe pointing him wear to go :lol:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 11:10:25 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 11:25:52 AM »
Okay it was a combo of Riley and Russell apparently......

"I had orders from the great Bill Russell," O'Neal said. "Me and him were talking in Seattle the other day and he was telling me how rivalries should be. I asked him if he ever disliked anybody he played against, and he told me no, never, and he told me I should shake Kobe Bryant's hand and let bygones be bygones and bury the hatchet. Russell is a basketball god, especially at my position.

"Today, when I spoke to (Bryant), we spoke about something that was more important then basketball. He's having a little daughter, so I told him and his wife congratulations upon the baby. Today is a day of peace."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »
Okay - that seals it.

IS THERE ANY DOUBT LEFT THAT BILL RUSSELL IS THE GREATEST PLAYER IN PRO BASKETBALL HISTORY?

11-time champion in 13 seasons...and on top of that, he ends the Shaq/Kobe feud.  There's a man who knows what it means to be a part of a team.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 11:44:24 AM »
Actually, Skander, his wife, and I went to watch a different Pat Riley loss.

Glory Road is an AWESOME movie.  Only three players in the movie whose names I recognized:  Jojo White, Pat Riley, and Louie Dampier.

Interesting portrayal of Adolph Rupp.  While it portrayed him as hostile, and perhaps a bit arrogant, it went more along with Pat Riley's portrayal of the man rather than as being the out-and-out racist he is often reputed to be. 

If you're a basketball fan - CATCH THIS MOVIE.
I just read a 3 page article in 'The Paws' that a UK alum have given me about Adolph just two weeks ago.  Thought it was very intresting and had a quote from Red Auberbach talking about Rupp saying 'Ya he was prejudice, he was prejudice against players who could not play'  The article then went on to paint him as a great coach and actually someone who helped embrace black players in the college level.

The person who gave me the mag said that Adolph didnt get any credit for bringing black players into the SEC because one of the players he wanted ended up going to another shcool?  Did they speak on that in the movie?

The reason we talk about UK, dont know if you follow them, but he is convinced that Sparks the senior guard is my long lost brother.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 11:45:14 AM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Oh, Skandery, sometimes your naiveté regarding all things Laker is quite endearing.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 12:07:40 PM »
Skander, Randy actually isnt high off one win because Smush has been playing solid defense for quite along time now. He's held his own against Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Baron Davis, and a list of other of the better players in the backcourt. He also is coming off a 24 point 12 rebound game against GS. So while you may think he's a no-name he has been playing great ball for the Lakers since before the hit 5-1 on that roadtrip a few weeks ago.

westkoast, this is exactly what my point is.  The board has been inundated with Laker fans screaming at the ineptness and tragic horror that is the Laker roster.  To read some of your earlier posts in the year, I would believe that you guys think Kobe is better off with junior high girls basketball players than the likes of Mihm, Parker, Kwame, George, Vujacic, Profit, and Medvedenko.  I remember Ziggy, just last week, having to remind you that Kirilenko plays with a far less talented roster than Kobe does.  All I've ever heard from you guys is:

-Kwame is a waste of oxygen
-Slava couldn't shoot the ball into an ocean
-Parker is just not good enough
-Bynum is an out of place man-child
-Odom doesn't have what it takes to be the second option
-blah blah blah

Now the Lakers managed to beat their cross-country rivals (b/c that's where Shaq went), the Heat, and all of sudden.  Did you see Mihm's moves?!  How about Kwame's defense!  You gotta love Parker!!  

As to "Smush Parker playing solid defense for quite a long time now". DUH!!  I knew that months ago when I picked him up for one of my fantasy leagues because he's one the top 10-12 players in the league in SPG.  He's a lanky guard, whose quick with his arms and moves his feet well.  I've known that for a long, long time now.  It didn't take a win against the Heat for me to notice that Smush is a good defender, or that Mihm has come a long way offensively since his Cavs days, or that Odom is having a career year in the triangle.  I think its about time you guys appreciated someone in the purple-n-gold besides #8.

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 12:55:18 PM »
westkoast, this is exactly what my point is. The board has been inundated with Laker fans screaming at the ineptness and tragic horror that is the Laker roster. To read some of your earlier posts in the year, I would believe that you guys think Kobe is better off with junior high girls basketball players than the likes of Mihm, Parker, Kwame, George, Vujacic, Profit, and Medvedenko. I remember Ziggy, just last week, having to remind you that Kirilenko plays with a far less talented roster than Kobe does. All I've ever heard from you guys is:

First thing is first.....no one has talked bad about Parker all year.  In fact all of us were talking about how well he was playing in summer camp and in the pre-season.  Can you find these posts where we are saying hes so horrible?  You can find ones where we have stated hes not consistant on the offensive end but go and look back to see all the comments Laker fans on this board made about his defense.

-blah blah blah

Kwame yes, Slava cant shoot but barely played at all this year dont remember exactly where that came from, no one has said Parker is not good enough (that must be a skander created comment lol), WOW is the only person who made comments in that fashion about Bynum that a few of us disagreed with, and saying Odom is not assertive enough is a proper assestment.  A number of you (including JoMaL) complain about Laker fans not being objective and when we are, like saying Odom is not being assertive enough, its us pulling down players just to put Kobe higher up?  Should we try and be objective or do you want us to lie and say Odom has no flaws in his game because he has a laker jersey on?

Now the Lakers managed to beat their cross-country rivals (b/c that's where Shaq went), the Heat, and all of sudden. Did you see Mihm's moves?! How about Kwame's defense! You gotta love Parker!!

Mihms moves? Who said that? Randy? LOL.  Didnt know he was the spokesperson for all things Lakers.  People have been talking about Kwame's defense since he played against Shaq on Christmas Day Skander, I would hope that you are actually reading the posts you are pulling all this from.  

Go back and read how much all of us have been up on Parker since the begging of the season.  Even your good friend went on this board saying 'I think you guys found something special in Smush Parker' at the begging of the season.

As to "Smush Parker playing solid defense for quite a long time now". DUH!! I knew that months ago when I picked him up for one of my fantasy leagues because he's one the top 10-12 players in the league in SPG. He's a lanky guard, whose quick with his arms and moves his feet well. I've known that for a long, long time now. It didn't take a win against the Heat for me to notice that Smush is a good defender, or that Mihm has come a long way offensively since his Cavs days, or that Odom is having a career year in the triangle. I think its about time you guys appreciated someone in the purple-n-gold besides #8.

It didnt take a win against the Heat for Laker fans around here to praise Parker.  This has been going on since the begging of the year.  We have a search feature on her and you can use it to go back to see for yourself.

Odom is not having a career year in the triangle.  Not sure who exactly is telling you guys he is the master of the triangle or even that most of his assists are coming from running the triangle.  They are actually coming off regular ol simple basketball.  He actually gets very few assists running the triangle but rather he creates them by rebounding and pushing the ball.  Then again, this is coming from the person who just said Odom is teaching Kobe the triangle when Kobe is often telling him where to go :lol:

Skander how many times exactly do I have to comment on the *TEAM* defense and the play of Smush Parker before you see that we have been making comments about people other than Kobe.  If you would like me to go back and point out all the times ive brought up the *TEAM DEFENSE* and *SMUSH PARKER* Ill be happy to do so....its slow today at work  :nod:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 01:03:24 PM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 01:17:06 PM »
Skander, Randy actually isnt high off one win because Smush has been playing solid defense for quite along time now. He's held his own against Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Baron Davis, and a list of other of the better players in the backcourt. He also is coming off a 24 point 12 rebound game against GS. So while you may think he's a no-name he has been playing great ball for the Lakers since before the hit 5-1 on that roadtrip a few weeks ago.

westkoast, this is exactly what my point is.  The board has been inundated with Laker fans screaming at the ineptness and tragic horror that is the Laker roster.  To read some of your earlier posts in the year, I would believe that you guys think Kobe is better off with junior high girls basketball players than the likes of Mihm, Parker, Kwame, George, Vujacic, Profit, and Medvedenko.  I remember Ziggy, just last week, having to remind you that Kirilenko plays with a far less talented roster than Kobe does.  All I've ever heard from you guys is:

-blah blah blah

Now the Lakers managed to beat their cross-country rivals (b/c that's where Shaq went), the Heat, and all of sudden.  Did you see Mihm's moves?!  How about Kwame's defense!  You gotta love Parker!!  

As to "Smush Parker playing solid defense for quite a long time now". DUH!!  I knew that months ago when I picked him up for one of my fantasy leagues because he's one the top 10-12 players in the league in SPG.  He's a lanky guard, whose quick with his arms and moves his feet well.  I've known that for a long, long time now.  It didn't take a win against the Heat for me to notice that Smush is a good defender, or that Mihm has come a long way offensively since his Cavs days, or that Odom is having a career year in the triangle.  I think its about time you guys appreciated someone in the purple-n-gold besides #8.
Skander -- I have ZERO idea whose posts you have been reading but:

I actually think you may have quoted me on that one -- well, I don't think I said oxygen, I think it was roster space.  HOWEVER, while I'm amazed that the guy can play defense DON'T get the idea that I'm high on this guy.  Did you see the rest of his statline?  His offense is HORRIBLE!  He can't seem to hang onto the ball and he's lucky to make a shot!  I think you read WAY too much into my post -- his defense was solid -- THAT surprises me but he STILL isn't going to help the Lakers in the post offensively -- how far are the Lakers going to go without a post game?

Whoever you are quoting here hasn't watched Laker basketball much -- shooting is the ONLY thing that Slava can do (it's the reason he wasn't getting any playing time).  Defense, rebounding?  Nope -- and it doesn't make any difference HOW many minutes you give him!

Who said this?  I've stated MANY times about the Lakers this year that the one bright spot this year has been Smushy.  You need to read better.

Hmm, first I said Bynum was the best and now I'm saying that Bynum isn't?  I think Bynum HAS NBA skills -- he just doesn't have an NBA body/strength/endurance and experience yet!  I'm probably the ONLY person on this board to feel that way!

Raises hand -- this is me.  And I STILL think it's true -- I'm not sure that the triangle really ensures a need for a "second option" which is why I think Odom is beginning to fit into it so much better now.  I think he takes the game as it flows to him and doesn't TRY to be the second option.  I think that Parker has what it takes to be an option for the Lakers but the Lakers REALLY need a post option -- something that Mihm hasn't shown much until recently.  

-blah blah blah

I've looked for this quote and I think you are making it up!

Now the Lakers managed to beat their cross-country rivals (b/c that's where Shaq went), the Heat, and all of sudden.  Did you see Mihm's moves?!  How about Kwame's defense!  You gotta love Parker!! 

As to "Smush Parker playing solid defense for quite a long time now". DUH!!  I knew that months ago when I picked him up for one of my fantasy leagues because he's one the top 10-12 players in the league in SPG.  He's a lanky guard, whose quick with his arms and moves his feet well.  I've known that for a long, long time now.  It didn't take a win against the Heat for me to notice that Smush is a good defender, or that Mihm has come a long way offensively since his Cavs days, or that Odom is having a career year in the triangle.  I think its about time you guys appreciated someone in the purple-n-gold besides #8.

Okay, answer a couple of questions for me:

1)  How many games have you seen Mihm show the kind of offensive moves that he has shown in the past 5-6 games (because THAT'S when I saw a tremendous difference).

2)  Kwame's defense -- same as Mihm.  I saw him play that kind of defense a week ago and thought it was a FLUKE!  Why?  Because I've seen the guy play for years and he has NEVER played solid defense.

3)  Parker -- you need to read more -- I've loved this kid since I first saw him play.  I'm just amazed that he has been kicked around in this league so much when PG's are hard to find.  He is my FAVORITE player on the Lakers (or at least until Turiaf arrives -- then he may have to move to the second slot!

4)  Odom -- the ONLY category that Odom is having a career year in is minutes!  I'm not a big Odom fan -- mainly because I don't think he is worth the money and he has never been a very good defensive player.  I don't know if it's PJ or Pip or who but someone has helped him become very comfortable with the triangle offense and it's showing.  He also is no longer becoming a liability on defense -- not saying he's a great defensive player but he is playing well within the defensive scheme (see Mihm, etc.).  

Obviously, you HAVE to give props to the Laker squad for their win record (although I think it's OBVIOUS at this point that the ONE person who deserves the most props at this point is Phil Jackson -- perhaps you remember some of the comments about him?) -- obviously, the Lakers wouldn't win a ton of games with their squad offensively but the Lakers defense as a team has more to do with the wins at this point than Kobe's offense!

By-the-way, Kwame is STILL a stiff -- I give him props and you want to make him into an all-star.  Kwame is playing solid d -- let's not make it into more than it is!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 01:26:21 PM »
Saw most of the 2nd half.  Kobme did play within the offense for the most part.  Mihm displayed definite signs of someone (Kareem) working with him.

Paytons d was pathetic this time around.  Some of the Heat were sleepwalking.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »
A few comments about the game:

1.  Lamar Odom has to be aggressive offensively.  He was last night in the first half and the Lakers built a 19 point lead.  He had 15 pts in the first 1/2, and then came out in the third quarter without the same offensive aggression and the lead dwindled.  He scored only 4 points in the second half.  I'm not rousting Odom, overall he had a great game and was one assist shy of a triple double, but he has to assert himself offensively for 48 minutes for this team to get to the next level.  His big shot at the end of the game was the back-breaker and I was glad to see him take it without hesitation.

2.  No one is mentioning Devean George's game last night.  He was a big reason for the win.  His 17 points and 6 boards were great, but it was the way he found his sweet spots in the triangle, went to the basket and hit a few runners in the key that forced Miami's defense to stay honest and not completely cheat on Kobe.  His defense and hustle were critical.  His block on Mourning was awesome and a real momentum boost as well as his big offensive board toward the end.  Props to Devean on an all around great game.  

3.  After watching Shaq closely on x-mas day and last night, he looks like he's moving in slow motion out there.  He's really laboring to get up and down the court.  Apparently his ankle is still a little tender, but as long as I can remember he always has some knick-knack injury as a "backup" excuse, so I never know what to believe with this guy.  One of the announcers, I think Doug Collins, made a comment that I agree with (oh dear lord, did I just say that?).  He said the Lakers should have Kwame, or whoever's matched up with Shaq, run out on each possession and force Shaq to hustle back on D.  I don't think the Lakers emphasized this enough and I'd like to see them do it every time they play against the Big Lazy.  Kwame may not be the most mentally gifted player, but physically, he's in great shape and has the ability to really make Shaq run the floor.  

4.  I was glad to see Shaq finally act like a true big man and extend a hand to Kobe.  Obviously Kobe was wrong to ever mention Shaq's name in connection with paying off skanks, but it was time for Shaq to get over it and show that he can be the bigger man.  I hope the media will finally let the story die ... but I still don't see that happening any time soon.  Unfortunately, it took the prodding of Bill Russell, Pat Riley and Phil Jackson, but hey, at least it finally happened.  

5.  Joe Crawford is an idiot.  

6.  The Bynum/Shaq altercation was fun and made the game more entertaining.  Props to the young guy for not cowering after Shaq had the put-back/dunk over his back and knocked him to the ground.  The fact that the kid went right back at him, juked him and scored, shows a lot about his heart.  Whether he'll develop in to a quality NBA center still remains to be seen, but you have to like last night’s display of aggression.  

7.  Wade is one of my favorite NBA players to watch.  His ability to get in to the paint, and spin either direction for an easy layup is a thing of beauty.  I love this kid’s game.  Even while screaming at my team's D to "HELP", "HELP" I was having fun watching him.  

8.  Antoine Walker makes Kobe Bryant look like he has never taken an ill-advised shot.