Author Topic: Great play by Pats T.E.  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Great play by Pats T.E.
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »
If you didn't see it, you might not as the media and CBS in particular is busy brownozing Chump Bailey for the pass interception Tom Brady laid in his hands.

After that he ran 99 yards and started to hoist the ball in celebration.  Problem for Bailey is Pats tight end Ben Watson wasn't quitting.  Ran the entire lenght of the field diagonally to stuff Bailey at the one.  Knocked the snot out of Bailey and the ball went out of bounds in what certainly looked like the endzone.  Lame CBS could not, make that WOULD NOT show an angle.  Instead of Pats ball on 20 yard line, Chump was awarded the ball at the one yard line as he self adjulized after the game "That was a great play by me."

No, that was a history making play by Ben Watson.  Or rather a would be history making play.  

If you saw earlier in the game the *pass-interference call* :nonono:  :nonono:  in the end zone against Pats Asante Samuel, giving Denver Donkey 1st and goal from the one instead of 4th down way back, you'll see how it was not the Pats turnovers that were the only key factors.

Anywho anyone see this Ben Watson play?
I know he was going 80 mph but what would really have been cool is if he would have stripped the ball from Bailey and maintained possession.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Great play by Pats T.E.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 11:51:29 AM »
If you didn't see it, you might not as the media and CBS in particular is busy brownozing Chump Bailey for the pass interception Tom Brady laid in his hands.

After that he ran 99 yards and started to hoist the ball in celebration.  Problem for Bailey is Pats tight end Ben Watson wasn't quitting.  Ran the entire lenght of the field diagonally to stuff Bailey at the one.  Knocked the snot out of Bailey and the ball went out of bounds in what certainly looked like the endzone.  Lame CBS could not, make that WOULD NOT show an angle.  Instead of Pats ball on 20 yard line, Chump was awarded the ball at the one yard line as he self adjulized after the game "That was a great play by me."

No, that was a history making play by Ben Watson.  Or rather a would be history making play.  

If you saw earlier in the game the *pass-interference call* :nonono:  :nonono:  in the end zone against Pats Asante Samuel, giving Denver Donkey 1st and goal from the one instead of 4th down way back, you'll see how it was not the Pats turnovers that were the only key factors.

Anywho anyone see this Ben Watson play?
I know he was going 80 mph but what would really have been cool is if he would have stripped the ball from Bailey and maintained possession.
It wasn't that the guy started celbrating, he just ran out of gas.  It was obvious around the 30 yard line that he was out of breath.  Still, that was an AWESOME play, the guy came out of nowhere to stop the touchdown.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Great play by Pats T.E.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 12:51:34 PM »
It wasn't that the guy started celbrating, he just ran out of gas.  It was obvious around the 30 yard line that he was out of breath.  Still, that was an AWESOME play, the guy came out of nowhere to stop the touchdown.
Ran out of gas and started celebrating.  Just a half second before Watson clobbered him watch Bailey take the ball from his side and begin to hoist it upward and outward in celebration.  Upon contact that in part is what enabled the ball to go carooning off into and over the endzone pylon.

Also props to the Pats tailback Kevin Faulk who slowed Bailey up by nipping at legs at about the 30 yard line.  It slowed up Bailey just enough to make the Watson 1 yard/ ball out of endzone play possible.

That should have been a history making play.  :nod:

Since CBS-NFL won't give it up, someone in the photo media may have the exact shot.  If anyone sees it, please post. :nod:  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:44:54 PM by Reality »

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great play by Pats T.E.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 02:53:02 AM »
Jeez, Reality.  Are you a fan of every team that wins a championship?  The Spurs, the Patriots ... are you a White Sox fan, by chance?

First off, he wasn't celebrating.  I've seen the replay SEVERAL times and specifically looked to see if Champ started to showboat, but I have yet to see any evidence of it.  I don't see him "hoisting it upward and outward" as you say.  I won't disagree if you say he purposely slowed down because he didn't think anyone could catch him, but I don't see any celebratory dance occurring prior to the hit.

Secondly, CBS obviously didn't have an angle that conclusively showed whether or not the ball went through the endzone.  Why?  Because their camera angles are the exact same ones shown to the referee on his monitor.  If they had a terrific shot that showed something either way, we would've seen it.

Thirdly, why would CBS have it in for the Patriots?  They're going for a THIRD STRAIGHT SUPER BOWL TITLE!  If anything, they WANT the Pats to win and advance, because it creates higher ratings.  The game everyone wanted to see was the Pats/Colts.  CBS is probably crying now that neither will participate in the AFC Championship game.

Get a clue, man.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great play by Pats T.E.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 10:40:58 AM »
Jeez, Reality. Are you a fan of every team that wins a championship? The Spurs, the Patriots ... are you a White Sox fan, by chance?

First off, he wasn't celebrating. I've seen the replay SEVERAL times and specifically looked to see if Champ started to showboat, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. I don't see him "hoisting it upward and outward" as you say. I won't disagree if you say he purposely slowed down because he didn't think anyone could catch him, but I don't see any celebratory dance occurring prior to the hit.

Secondly, CBS obviously didn't have an angle that conclusively showed whether or not the ball went through the endzone. Why? Because their camera angles are the exact same ones shown to the referee on his monitor. If they had a terrific shot that showed something either way, we would've seen it.

Thirdly, why would CBS have it in for the Patriots? They're going for a THIRD STRAIGHT SUPER BOWL TITLE! If anything, they WANT the Pats to win and advance, because it creates higher ratings. The game everyone wanted to see was the Pats/Colts. CBS is probably crying now that neither will participate in the AFC Championship game.

Get a clue, man.

Preach!!

But on a sidenote, this is the second time I've seen Ben Watson do this for the season.  This guy has game-breaking speed at the freakin' TE position.  He's like a rhinoceros, takes a bit to get going than like a freight train.  Anyways I remember him saving a sure touchdown when NE played Carolina in the second week or something.  Only he caught the guy at the 30 instead of the one, so he really did save the touchdown.  Maybe Belichick should try this guy out at Strong Safety if he's gonna hit people that hard.  

But back to the game, Caleb's right, the angle shown looks like it WASN'T in the endzone and if CBS wanted anything, it wanted the Pats to win that game.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Great play by Pats T.E.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 12:19:57 PM »
Concur with Caleb and Skander that if CBS wanted anyone to win, they wanted the Patriots.

Concur with Reality that Bailey had started to "celebrate."  Also concur that he slowed down - not ran out of steam.

Also concur that the interference call was bogus.  Then again, it's kind of like the re-interpretation of the tuck rule that got the Patriots' winning ways started in the first place, so I'm really short on sympathy.

Most of all, I can't wait to see a Diet Coke commercial of the Diet Pepsi Machine sitting home for the SuperBowl - pointing out that at the critical juncture, the Diet Pepsi Machine didn't have any catches, didn't pick up any yards, and left Patriot fans unsatisfied for the season.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Great play by Pats T.E.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
The shot that shows Bailey starting to celebrate is the angle from the end of the endzone facing Bailey.  He clearly begins to hoist, gets about waist high.

Awaiting word from some Boston media outlets for some conclusive photos for at least one and hopefully several clues.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 01:05:36 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Great play by Pats T.E.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 05:08:58 PM »
Then again, it's kind of like the re-interpretation of the tuck rule that got the Patriots' winning ways started in the first place, so I'm really short on sympathy.

:rofl:  :rofl:  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Great play by Pats T.E.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 12:28:23 PM »
Also concur that the interference call was bogus.  Then again, it's kind of like the re-interpretation of the tuck rule that got the Patriots' winning ways started in the first place, so I'm really short on sympathy.

Joe, that so-called 'Tuck' rule just about ruined watching pro football for me. Besides laughing my head off during the following season, watching the refs try to enforce that ludicrous excuse for a rule till they finally gave up (has anyone heard it called since??), it made me realyze that someone or something out there is certainly controlling the outcome of these games. Without a shadow of a doubt, that one play that sent the Patriots to their first (winning) Super Bowl game made it crystal clear that either they did not want the Raiders in the Super Bowl, or they had money on the Patriots.

I have never enjoyed the sport of football nearly as much since then. So watching some bad calls go against the Patriots against Denver, like the pass interference play, hardly surprises me much. Guess 'someone' or 'something' just got tired of the Patriots.

It happens.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."