Author Topic: congrats spursx3  (Read 2256 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:24:22 AM »
You called it.

Congrats to you and all the Texas fans.

Can't believe that CArroll didn't punt.  Make Vince go 90 yards instead of only 55.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 01:56:10 AM »
You called it.

Can't believe that CArroll didn't punt.  Make Vince go 90 yards instead of only 55.
X2 Xs3

Great game to watch.  Too many pivotal plays by both teams.

Vince Young  :hail:   If you saw him last year in the same Rose Bowl he did the same thing vs Michigan.

I had no problem with Carall going for it.  Friends and i thought he should have snuck a pass tho.  Texas really adjusted against LenDale White.  He was diving thru 4 foot holes in the 1st 3 quarters but Texas D line stuffed that in the 4th.
Leinart was in a coma in up till that time in the 2nd half, like 14-15.

Also lots of people bagging on Bush for the lateral that became a turnover.  It looked like lateral hit teamate #48 dude right in the hands.

I had a problem with Texas coach on the game winning series for NOT letting Vince Young have the ball in hands for pass/run option on 2nd and 3rd down, instead calling a pass only play both times. :nonono:  :nonono:   He was getting yards on that p/r option with the ball in his hands all game and was unstoppable in the 4th on those roll runs and dropback runs.

Can Young run like this in the NFL?  Friends say no.  I say yes, not as much but yes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 02:42:38 AM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 10:18:18 AM »
You called it.

Can't believe that CArroll didn't punt.  Make Vince go 90 yards instead of only 55.
X2 Xs3

Vince Young  :hail:   If you saw him last year in the same Rose Bowl he did the same thing vs Michigan.

I had no problem with Carall going for it.  Friends and i thought he should have snuck a pass tho.  Texas really adjusted against LenDale White.  He was diving thru 4 foot holes in the 1st 3 quarters but Texas D line stuffed that in the 4th.

Also lots of people bagging on Bush for the lateral that became a turnover.  It looked like lateral hit teamate #48 dude right in the hands.

I had a problem with Texas coach on the game winning series for NOT letting Vince Young have the ball in hands for pass/run option on 2nd and 3rd down, instead calling a pass only play both times. :nonono:  :nonono:   He was getting yards on that p/r option with the ball in his hands all game and was unstoppable in the 4th on those roll runs and dropback runs.

Can Young run like this in the NFL?  Friends say no.  I say yes, not as much but yes.
Thanks guys.

As for Young in the NFL, this guy is MORE than ready, All he needs is a decent offensive line to help a team win.  I would like to see him Help UT win the Championship game again, but Hey I would understand if he jumps to the pros right now before getting seriously injured in college next year.  Great game.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 11:19:30 AM »
Thanks guys.

As for Young in the NFL, this guy is MORE than ready, All he needs is a decent offensive line to help a team win.  I would like to see him Help UT win the Championship game again, but Hey I would understand if he jumps to the pros right now before getting seriously injured in college next year.  Great game.
Real question is, did you make it as planned to Hooters?

UT cheersquad has those Hooters type uniforms.

Good coach will have Vince Young running as well as Michael Vick.  Well, like Vick used to before Jim Mora put the reigns on him. :nonono:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:34:03 AM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 11:42:05 AM »
Thanks guys.

As for Young in the NFL, this guy is MORE than ready, All he needs is a decent offensive line to help a team win.  I would like to see him Help UT win the Championship game again, but Hey I would understand if he jumps to the pros right now before getting seriously injured in college next year.  Great game.
Real question is, did you make it as planned to Hooters?

UT cheersquad has those Hooters type uniforms.

Good coach will have Vince Young running as well as Michael Vick.  Well, like Vick used to before Jim Mora put the reigns on him. :nonono:
No didnt make it to hooters, stayed home and watched, getting sick, and should have rested but I stayed up to finish watching the game...

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:59:25 AM »
You called it.

X2 Xs3

I still believe that you punt on 4th down.  It is all about risk/reward, and about making it harder on Vince to get the TD.  I can understand going with LenDale White, but if you are going to go for it on 4th, then why not run on 2nd and 7.  That to me was the key play of the game.  SC shold have just put the ball in Whites hands 4 straight times.  If Texas can stop him 4 straight times then so be it, but you burn clock, or force Texas to burn a timeout.  As far as Lienart going 14-15 at that point "WHO CARES".  His last 15 passes don't matter, only the next one he throws, and there was to much risk in throwing.  One time in 4 and LenDale busts one for 10+.

All at aside, Texas made the plays.  Even if Carrol blew it or not, Texas made the plays to win it.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:05:11 PM »
Congradulations to our Texas brethren regarding UT upending the Trojans last night. It was a great college game. I have a UT alumnus running around the office today with a 'UT National Champions' sweatshirt on, and she is hardly a football fan otherwise.

As far as Young going pro (how come all the talking heads out there just talk about Bush's decision if he is going pro or not and not about Young's?), he probably would be a good NFL quarterback, but the pro linebackers would no doubt limit his moves after passing the line of scrimage a bit more thoroughly then did the Trojans LB's.

He also can expect an injury-filled pro career sort of following the ones of Culpepper and McNabb's - great for the first several years, then watching games from the IR on the sidelines.

What Mora is doing with Vick in Atlanta is trying to save the kid from a similar fate. The fans are screaming to see the college version of Vick, but that version would be out of football in less then five years, while a more sensible approach would be to get him into a more traditional quarterbacking role and save the running for when the play breaks down, like Steve Young would do.

Then we can enjoy these guys for years to come.

As for the Rose Bowl, the Trojans left anywhere from 13 to 21 points out on the playing field, then practically advertised the White running play on fourth and two in the fourth quarter. Their arrogance doomed their chances as much as Young did. They played the game as if the Texans did not matter and they could do anything without regard for what the Longhorns had planned otherwise.

While both coaching staffs made some questionable decisions, and Bush's fumble-lateral was ill-conceiveed, it really did appear that Vince Young may have been right about who should have won the Heisman.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 12:18:57 PM »
I still believe that you punt on 4th down.  It is all about risk/reward, and about making it harder on Vince to get the TD.  I can understand going with LenDale White, but if you are going to go for it on 4th, then why not run on 2nd and 7.  That to me was the key play of the game.  SC shold have just put the ball in Whites hands 4 straight times.  If Texas can stop him 4 straight times then so be it, but you burn clock, or force Texas to burn a timeout.  As far as Lienart going 14-15 at that point "WHO CARES".  His last 15 passes don't matter, only the next one he throws, and there was to much risk in throwing.  One time in 4 and LenDale busts one for 10+.

All at aside, Texas made the plays.  Even if Carrol blew it or not, Texas made the plays to win it.
Going for it on fourth and two was not a problem for me. USC essentially telling the Texans that White was getting the ball and don't look anywhere else was the problem with the play. Where was Bush on that play, even as a decoy? Next to Carrol on the sidelines. Arrogance by the supposedly superior team has prevented many teams from achieving greatness for all time.

The great teams coached by men who understand the dangers of being too confident in themselves and not respecting their opponents stand out in history much more then teams that have players who buy into the media hype about their greatness before the game is played. Those teams tend to get beaten by motivated opponents.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 12:30:15 PM »
Quote from: ziggy,Jan 5 2006, 04:59 PM
[/b]

All at aside, Texas made the plays.  Even if Carrol blew it or not, Texas made the plays to win it. [/QUOTE]

zig 367 yards is who cares.  Previous possession Lienhart hooked up for two long passes including the T.D. throw to put SC up 38-26.  Run D Tex adjusted and was stopping White.  Not to metion that super lucky White fumble recovery by SC on 3rd down.  Concur with Jomal that SC advertised to world White was going to carry.  Veratility is what makes USC O great, not smashmouth.  White did carry 3 of 4.  Maybe 4-4 would have done it.  At any rate...

Punt or no punt, after Texas got the ball back how about that USC facemask on 3rd and 12 :eek2:   Turned a 7 yard gain into a 12 yard gain.  BTW did the extra 5 yards give Tex the 1st down on yardage or is facemask an auto-1st?  Did the announcers SUCK or what?  Fouts especially.  

Concur with Jomal about USC leaving points.  Look while both teams had blunders, Leinhart/USC was much more culpable on leaving points.  Great INT by Texas cornerback at the goaline.  But Leinhart you can't throw that when your team is in auto field goal range.  SC inside 20 what -3 Xs with no points?  Leinhart almost blew 3 more points before halftime.  Chip shot field goal becomes 46 yarder when he gets sacked twice in row. :nonono:

Did Xs3 sneak Hooters girls or UT cheer members [/size]into the replay booth :huh:   Youngs knee on ground was bogile. Still it would have been 1st and goal on the 10.  UT also burned on the interception that was ruled a fumble.  Ummn ground cannot cause fumble.  Dude caught it, coralled it, fell on his back/butt then fumbled.  INT all the way.  Where was the replay.  :rofl:

Oh yeah that SC reciever  :hail: holding onto the ball after laying out for the reception and getting crunched by oncoming UT dback.

Lots of great plays in this game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 12:53:28 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
congrats spursx3
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 12:38:49 PM »
Props

That march down the field was something else I must say.  Pretty good game.  I guess it did live up to the hype.

Pete Carollo bone head move to go 4th and 2 + Vince Young being deadly = GAME OVER
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
congrats spursx3
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »
IMO USC was the better team but Young was just too much for the USC defense.  It was like a man among boys.

The first time they went for it on 4th and 1 really cost them.  1st quarter on the 20 and you don't go for the FG?  WTF, did they think they could score at will on the Texas team?

Agreed the two blown calls cost USC plenty.  The knee down touchdown could have saved the Trojans.  IMO Texas would have still scored but it would have taken more time off the clock, why that wasn't reviewed I don't know.

IMO ziggy hit the nail right on the head.  Young will not be able to do the same thing in the NFL, if he tries his carreer will be short lived.  If he plays it smart he can end up like Elway, he was quite a scrambler and motion throwing QB and it was exciting but he got the most success when he played within the Broncos system, Terrel helped a little too.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

congrats spursx3
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 01:43:50 PM »
Okay, Young is NOT going to face NFL middle linebackers and secondary that will struggle to take him down.  He will get hit VERY hard in the NFL -- make him think twice about running the ball again.  USC's linebackers and secondary were HORRIBLE -- although it took a team like Texas to make them look that bad.  

The two blown calls were just that -- VERY bad calls but they were pretty much negated by the missed fg's by UT.  

This was a great game -- two defenses who struggled to stop two GREAT offenses.

HORRIBLE clock management by USC along with a bad coaching decision.  

But bottom line, UT was the better team last night.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
congrats spursx3
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 02:52:08 PM »
IMO the KEY to this game was Bush's bonehead lateral in the first quarter, I can't believe none of you are mentioning it, it changed the whole complexion of the game, SC driving, Bush laterals at the end of a great run, resulting in a fumble and field goal for Texas?!?!?!? SC could score almost at will and were just about in field goal range already on that play, a minimum SIX POINT SWING!!!!!!!!! and a total momentum killer in the first half. Plus, the blown knee down lateral was on 3rd and 6 I believe, and it was borderline a forward lateral at that, if they had reviewed and overturned it, Texas kicks a field goal and instead of the 6 they got (because they missed the extra point kick) they come away with 3, couple that to Bush's STUPID lateral fumble and it's now a NINE POINT SWING and Texas is on the ropes, Vince Young or no Vince Young, they lose the game.

Plus, what was Pete Carrol thinking going for it on 4 down near the 50 yard line???? The message there was "I have no confidence in my defense and their ability to slow down Young, he will score whether he does it from 90 yards away or 50" and while that may be true, YOU STILL MAKE HIM EARN IT!!!!!

Texas won, full props for taking advantage of opportunities, full props for taking advantage of bus-size holes in SC's defense, but I feel SC gave away this game as much as Texas took it.
Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
congrats spursx3
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 03:01:50 PM »
One more thing, Vince Young lasts 5-7 years max in the NFL if he tries to run like that AND be a quarterback, playing with the MEN of the NFL is a little different than playing with the almost men of college, just that simple. I know he is big and strong but it is a different world in the NFL.

Besides, the difference between a Vince Young and a Michael Vick is that while they are both very good broken field runners and excellent scramblers, Young is a much, much, MUCH better quarterback that Vick, a better passer, more composed in the pocket, and at what, 6'5" or so, his downfield vision is vastly superior to Vick's 6'0", so my point is, while his ability to scramble and run is a tremendous option and deadly weapon to use when needed, his quarterbacking skills mean he should not need it all the time.
Dan

jn

congrats spursx3
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 03:32:46 PM »
You're absolutely correct Dan.  As great as Bush is, his lateral was just plain idiotic.  That totally flew in the face of my theory that USC's experience would be the difference.  

For the record, on Young's knee down lateral he had already past the first down marker so it should have been first and goal.  Also it definitely was a legal lateral.  

So congrats to the Longhorns.  Speed kills and they had speed everywhere out there.  If the announcers had said the punter runs a 4.5 40 it wouldn't have surprised me.  This game truly lived up to it's incredible hype.