Author Topic: Kobe suspended for 2 games  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Kobe suspended for 2 games
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 05:35:34 PM »
Good for the league!  The fact that the referees didn't call that a flagrant-2 is amazing.

My personal thought is that the penalty is appropriate - the 1 game suspension, plus the ejection he'd have faced.  However, the loss of pay should only correspond to the loss of pay he'd suffer for 1 game, plus however the league handles pay in an ejection situation.

Too bad the referees didn't get it right, and eject Bryant in the first place, and then the league following up with the mandatory 1-game suspension.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 05:48:23 PM »
I am happy about this actually...

1) Because he deserved it

2) I would like to see the team tested without Kobe and especially see how they respond without him when the offense breaks down or the team forces them to get into the offense later in the shot clock.

Joe too bad the refs didnt get ANYTHING right that night  :D  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 12:51:41 AM »
Good for the league!  The fact that the referees didn't call that a flagrant-2 is amazing.

My personal thought is that the penalty is appropriate - the 1 game suspension, plus the ejection he'd have faced.  However, the loss of pay should only correspond to the loss of pay he'd suffer for 1 game, plus however the league handles pay in an ejection situation.

Too bad the referees didn't get it right, and eject Bryant in the first place, and then the league following up with the mandatory 1-game suspension.
Good for the Jazz though, as they play the Lakers both games of his suspension.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 01:50:01 AM »
Oh, but it would have been so much fun to put Matt Harpring on Kobe.  The same Matt Harpring who, as a rookie with the Orlando Magic, elbowed Dennis Rodman (a Laker at the time) in the back of the head on a rebound, because Rodman had pushed him from behind on the play at the other end.  The same Matt Harpring who is cut from the same material as his coach, Jerry Sloan...a material in serious need of washing since it's so dirty.  The Matt Harpring who isn't afraid to commit a hard foul.  The Matt Harpring who, on a highlight from some other Yellowjacket player shown during an NBA draft that I have taped, can be seen shoving an opponent to the ground.

I *WANT* Kobe to play.  I *WANT* him to get his come-uppance.  I want to see him upset the other team so that SEVERAL players are after him, and I want his teammates watching thinking, "If he's so special, let him handle *THIS* by himself."

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 12:52:45 PM »
I *WANT* Kobe to play.  I *WANT* him to get his come-uppance.  I want to see him upset the other team so that SEVERAL players are after him, and I want his teammates watching thinking, "If he's so special, let him handle *THIS* by himself."
No doubt.  What is Matt Miller/Griz/Jerry West saying in all this.

As to showing one ounce of manliness and owning up to it, The Pampered Puss spoke out yesterday:  

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported Friday that according to Bryant's agent, Bryant will appeal the suspension.

"Very surprised. Shocked, actually. Very, very surprised," Bryant said after practice Friday. "Angry and frustrated. I've been hit with a couple of flagrant fouls already this year. I've been hit with a clothesline and no suspensions come of that. And I get two games for this?"

"Somebody comes down the lane, you've got to hit him," he said Friday. "You can't let them come down the lane and just finger roll and get easy baskets. Nothing to hurt anybody like that. That's just basic NBA basketball."

Bryant also said he didn't think the elbow from Miller was intentional.

"You look at the replay, my face was nowhere near him," Bryant said. "My face was nowhere near his arm.[/size]

"I wish I could go back in time and take that foul back knowing what I know now, getting two games for it. But no way in my mind did I think it was going to be a suspension for something like that. No way."

Certified Objective Laker posters? (other then westkoast who has seen and called this play for what it was :up: )

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 06:59:21 PM »
2) I would like to see the team tested without Kobe and especially see how they respond without him when the offense breaks down or the team forces them to get into the offense later in the shot clock.

WTF?

That's like saying, I like to see how a NASCAR driver would do with a blind fold on and no steering wheel.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

guest-koast

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 09:20:01 PM »

WTF?

That's like saying, I like to see how a NASCAR driver would do with a blind fold on and no steering wheel.
The team can function without Kobe...a nascar driver can't function without those things.

Survery says....bad comparision  :up:  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 08:08:03 PM »

WTF?

The team can function without Kobe...a nascar driver can't function without those things.

Survery says....bad comparision  :up:
None the less, the results will be the same.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »
Finally saw a replay of the incident.  Kobe was going for payback, pretty obvious.  I'm surprised he didn't get tossed in the first place.  Kobe needs to practice throwing elbows, that was way too easy to spot.  The best way to play some chin music in basketball is with your back to the man you're trying to nail on a rebound clear out.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jn

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 01:07:59 PM »
No kidding WOW.  That was a stunningly obvious, shoulda been tossed foul.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 01:28:44 PM »
Kobe's logic is......uhhh fuzzy!?

So because someone closed lined him and didn't get a two game suspension (which he should have because it was WAY worse than what he did to Mike Miller) he thinks he has a free card to hurt other players in the future?  This isn't monopoly...you dont get a 'get out of suspension' free card to be used anytime in the future because you got it WWF style earlier in the year.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 01:56:25 PM »
Kobe got nailed post-incident as much for what he did as what he said. He essentially told the world it was a payback elbow. That is something the League would never let slide.

As for the Lakers playing without Kobe, I think it might be prudent to keep him healthy this year, and perhaps suggest he keep his payback comments within the confines of tactfulness. Though watching Phil Jackson try to coach a team of mediocre players would be worth the sacrifice.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 01:16:23 AM »
WTF?

Survery says....bad comparision  :up: [/QUOTE]
None the less, the results will be the same. [/quote]
 They certainly will be. Since Shaq left the teams winning % skyrockets to the .451 stratosphere when the NBAs top player Kobe is in.

This year is no exception as The Kobe has them at an unheard of .500

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 01:18:27 AM »
Kobe got nailed post-incident as much for what he did as what he said. He essentially told the world it was a payback elbow. That is something the League would never let slide.
Whew!  So if Kobe would not have made those post game comments they would have let it slide.  Good to know the N.B.A. has not changed after all. :cry: