Author Topic: How to rebound vs taller dude  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
How to rebound vs taller dude
« on: December 21, 2005, 03:48:42 PM »
How were you taught to rebound. Ealier threads had most if not all except Jomal being under 6'.  So one has to have learned how to rebound.

Using the espn tape, can you see how Brent Barry failed to back up and thus keep Bogut away and give himself (Barry) more space to board.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=251220015

a. Finley as Bogut came for the putback from the top of the arc all the way down. Finley could easily have cut him off -at least slowed him up- just inside the foul line.  Finley looks like he was confused and instead was worried about perimiter.  Bad recognition.

b. even after that breakdown, Tony P correctly put some body on Bogut. It was like an ant but at least it slowed him a tiny bit.  (Yes Lurker I also saw the Bogus shove on Parker.)

c. Barry had position all along under the rim. Bogut was closing yet still a couple feet behind him when ball is released by Bucks shooter.

Rebounding 101: Back up into the offensive would-be-rebounder (Bougtt) when you have position at the rim. Give yourself more room/him less room in case the ball carooms.   Instead Barry feet do not move one iota.  Bogus continues his trek in from the foul line, goes over the back of Barry (not saying it was a foul on Bogus vs Barry,)and gets rebound.  He can't do this if Barry would have shuffled back while ball guard was releasing ball.  Keeping your hands back as if you were reaching for the seatbelt while backing up.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 07:03:23 PM »
How was I taught to rebound?  I was self taught for the most part.   That and I always remember hearing sports commentators a say 'put a body on someone' I am not very tall and have always played pick up games with much older players or friends who are 6'2+.  When you are at a disadvantage size wise you learn how to push people out away from the basket by staying on the ground, getting position, and slowly moving the guy on your back the other direction.  It gets a little old after a while when you can never jump high enough to grab rebounds LOL (mind you I have hops too but hops isnt going to help me against someone 6'4)

Its funny how some of these guys make it to the pro level and cannot box out.  Its not rocket science.  Put a freakin body on the closest man and hold your ground.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 07:08:34 PM »
How were you taught to rebound.  Ealier threads had most if not all except Jomal being under 6'. So one has to have learned how to rebound.

FYI, I'm 6'1" ;)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 07:16:22 PM »
In my "day", when I had hops and played regularly, I was a very good rebounder. I found the best asset was being taller then the other guys. Makes a difference. But if that was all it took, well......

What helped as much was positioning. If you were between the other team's player and the basket, he was at a big disadvantage. I was taught to bend over a bit and stick by butt out and keep my legs apart, hands out and time the jump. Taller, atheletic guys could keep me off the boards, but not if I got there first.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »
You all have yet to tell me if you do the backup method.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 01:31:40 AM »

Only when two hands in the back and a violent shove doesn't work....

Okay, seriously,  the technique I was:

1) establish position with back to your opponent - WHETHER OFFENSIVELY OR DEFENSIVELY REBOUNDING

2) back your opponent out of rebounding position

3) retrieve the rebound when it is at it's highest point that you can grab it while not surrendering position.

The one part that is oddball is that if I have position on the outside and my man has position inside, we're back-to-back.  That's to my advantage.  No referee will let you get away with pushing someone in the back, but most referees *WILL* let you get away with backing into position.  I can't get an "over the back" call, and I have the chance of clearing my man AS IF I had pushed him in the back.  And, of course, he thinks that I have no way to move him, meaning it's EASIER to move him.

The big thing I was always taught was to pin people underneath/behind the backboard.

And I'm a point guard.  Given what you've read, you can safely conclude that I'rm a DIRTY point guard.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 11:26:04 AM »
John "Joe Vancil" Stockton??

I too learned to pin bigger guys under the rim much like when I use the rim to shield the big men from spiking my ball to the concrete.

The backing out move works well for us smaller guys because of our lower center of gravity.  I can bend my knees and move guys back until I have a better shot at the rebound or am able to grab it flat footed.  I have alot of lower body strength so youd be suprised on how well I am able to move guys out of position using that move or holding my ground once I get that position.

The last time I tried to out jump someone taller than me they ended up getting pissed and my hand was slightly twisted when they decided to smack the ball down to knock it off me to go out of bounce and I broke my hand.  Ended up having to get hand surgery and lost alot of my ability to score with my left hand.  Its been about 8-9 months since that happend and my hand still doesnt fully feel the same.

rickortreat

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 11:29:01 AM »
I'm 5'7" so I'm not really worried about rebounding or boxing out.  But I do play postion, allways.  Whenever the shot goes up, I try to get to the opposite side of the basket from where the ball was shot, looking for the carom.  Also, most people do not have good hands,  you'd be amazed at how many balls you can take right out of a taller players hands.

After a while I become a big distraction to the big players around the basket, if they get passed the ball, I try to get a hand on it.  If they try to dribble I take it away. They become so worried about where I am, that they stop playing ball effectively.  

The only secret is being quicker than the other guy and getting to the spot you want to be at.  Also, be aggressive like Charles Barkley, go, go go, relentlessly and you will get more than your fair share of boards.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 11:53:04 AM »
Does sticking my butt out count? If done suddenly and unexpectedly, the reaction of the opposing player is sort of like a mack truck suddenly backing over you.

If the guy is an aggressive hacker over the back, a well-placed elbow does wonders for his disposition, BTW.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 12:05:02 PM »
Does sticking my butt out count? If done suddenly and unexpectedly, the reaction of the opposing player is sort of like a mack truck suddenly backing over you.

If the guy is an aggressive hacker over the back, a well-placed elbow does wonders for his disposition, BTW. [/quote]
 In some circles I'm sure it will get a reaction.

However, I'm talking about when opposing reboundee is 2 3 4 5 10 feet behind you when ball is launched.  Ie Brent Barry in comparison to  a closing Andrew Bogus when the Bucks guard launches his shot.  Barry is under the hoop but fails to move back an inch.  Perhaps the espn link is still good.

As ass presentation would work whereupon the player is right behind you (1 inch to 1 foot).  But not 10 feet.  Altho the Laker posters will surely have some opposing view. :rolleyes:  :unsure:  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 12:17:01 PM »
However, I'm talking about when opposing reboundee is 2 3 4 5 10 feet behind you when ball is launched.  Ie Brent Barry in comparison to  a closing Andrew Bogus when the Bucks guard launches his shot.  Barry is under the hoop but fails to move back an inch.  Perhaps the espn link is still good.

As ass presentation would work whereupon the player is right behind you (1 inch to 1 foot).  But not 10 feet.  Altho the Laker posters will surely have some opposing view. :rolleyes:  :unsure:
When you see the shot go up you find the nearest opponent and put a body on him.  I don't care if the guy is behind the 3 point line you still do it.  The expectation is that everyone on you team does the same thing.  Of course that doesn't happend so you have to make judgement calls.

FYI, I rarely get out rebounded.  I'd tare all these BBS ballas apart.  The only exception being JoMal cause by the time I got around him I might be out of breath.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 12:49:43 PM »
When you see the shot go up you find the nearest opponent and put a body on him.  I don't care if the guy is behind the 3 point line you still do it.
That's what I'm talkin about. :up:

This way even if opponent does cheat and push you in, he simply pushes you into the rebound.  Unless its some rare 1% of the time "super karoom."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 02:55:37 PM »
However, I'm talking about when opposing reboundee is 2 3 4 5 10 feet behind you when ball is launched.  Ie Brent Barry in comparison to  a closing Andrew Bogus when the Bucks guard launches his shot.  Barry is under the hoop but fails to move back an inch.  Perhaps the espn link is still good.

As ass presentation would work whereupon the player is right behind you (1 inch to 1 foot).  But not 10 feet.  Altho the Laker posters will surely have some opposing view. :rolleyes:  :unsure:
When you see the shot go up you find the nearest opponent and put a body on him.  I don't care if the guy is behind the 3 point line you still do it.  The expectation is that everyone on you team does the same thing.  Of course that doesn't happend so you have to make judgement calls.

FYI, I rarely get out rebounded.  I'd tare all these BBS ballas apart.  The only exception being JoMal cause by the time I got around him I might be out of breath.
Its not hard to move your body onto them.  Why NBA players cannot do this I don't know.  How many times have seen you someone come from the top of the key, run into the paint by defenders, and slam one home or snag the rebound?

Rick Im not much taller than you are and I still rebound pretty well.  Alot of them are coming using the backup move or ala Jason Kidd where you soar into the paint and snatch the rebound only to run away to set the play up again.  I catch alot of big men sleeping because they assume a smaller player is not going to even attempt to grab a rebound.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 02:56:36 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 03:13:55 PM »
However, I'm talking about when opposing reboundee is 2 3 4 5 10 feet behind you when ball is launched.  Ie Brent Barry in comparison to  a closing Andrew Bogus when the Bucks guard launches his shot.  Barry is under the hoop but fails to move back an inch.  Perhaps the espn link is still good.

As ass presentation would work whereupon the player is right behind you (1 inch to 1 foot).  But not 10 feet.  Altho the Laker posters will surely have some opposing view. :rolleyes:  :unsure:

Its not hard to move your body onto them.  Why NBA players cannot do this I don't know.  How many times have seen you someone come from the top of the key, run into the paint by defenders, and slam one home or snag the rebound?

Rick Im not much taller than you are and I still rebound pretty well.  Alot of them are coming using the backup move or ala Jason Kidd where you soar into the paint and snatch the rebound only to run away to set the play up again.  I catch alot of big men sleeping because they assume a smaller player is not going to even attempt to grab a rebound.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

You're Rick, I'm westkoast!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 03:30:16 PM »

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

You're Rick, I'm westkoast!
So does that mean in the last post I was talking to myself?!

As for my rebounding, I have to admit I am afraid to go up to get rebounds after having to get surgery on my hand because of it.