Author Topic: So who's your next "Dream Team".  (Read 3493 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
So who's your next "Dream Team".
« on: November 29, 2005, 12:20:56 PM »
Starting:
LeBron
Kobe
KG
TD
Shaq

Backups
Kidd
T-Mac
Marion
Amare
O'Neil

R. Allen
Wade

Hopefully Kobe, T-Mac KG and Allen can be consistent from the outside to keep defenses honest and open up the passing/cutting lanes.  

I would probably play TD and Shaq at different times on the court because they probably get in each others way in the post.  Most likely they would finish the game since international rules allow you to chose FT or possesion on non-shooting fouls in the last two minutes.

You need guys like Kidd and LeBron in case you get into a running game.  Guys like Kobe and T-Mac on the wings would be deadly.  Plus in uptempo games you could get a center like Amare to run the court.  My toughest choice was between O'Neil and Wallace.  I took O'Neil because of his size and offensive skills, I would expect guys like TD, Shaq, KG and Marion to take up the rebounding slack.

Not sure when the next olympics comes up but Shaq and Kidd may be too long in the teeth to participate, in which case I'd replace them with B. Wallace and Bibby.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 12:22:10 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:57:19 PM »
Replace Ray Allen with Michael Redd.  

Bump Amare for Ben Wallace.

Shaq wont play so add Oberto.

Some would say Nash but why would you chose Nash over Kidd when Kidd's 5x the defender and able to post up??
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 12:57:57 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 01:05:26 PM »
Replace Ray Allen with Michael Redd.  

Bump Amare for Ben Wallace.

Shaq wont play so add Oberto.

Some would say Nash but why would you chose Nash over Kidd when Kidd's 5x the defender and able to post up??
  :rofl: add oberto  :rofl:

TD won'tlay olympic ball again so he is off of your list as well.  I think some key defenders should be included as well, if there was only room for one, pick up Artest, the man could put the clamp down on anyone AND score.  As crazy as he is he could be a big asset to our dream team.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 01:09:07 PM »
WTF!  Did Bush invade Canada already?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 01:12:54 PM »
TD won'tlay olympic ball again so he is off of your list as well.

When was that annoucement made?  

I think some key defenders should be included as well, if there was only room for one, pick up Artest, the man could put the clamp down on anyone AND score.  As crazy as he is he could be a big asset to our dream team.

I thought I did a pretty good job of balancing O and D.  Kobe, KG, Marion and Kidd are all solid defenders, Kobe is a stopper.  He's not a full game stopper like Artest but he can be for minutes at a time.

IMO Allen has more skills than Redd.  I thought of Redd as well but I've seen Allen make Kobe/T-Mac like moves to the rim when defenders try to crowd his shot.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 01:13:13 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 01:16:12 PM »
I think Redd is a little bit more tougher than Ray Allen and that is why I chose him.  Redd seems to not back down like Allen does at times.

If Duncan is gone then I would say Ben Wallace to start for that rebounding, defense, intimidation since Shaq will not play.  Jermaine O'Neal IMO would be a good backup PF who you could drop to the 3 to play a bigger lineup.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 02:25:33 PM »
Oberto will be attempting to add to his Gold Medal total as a starting center, of course.

As an Argentine, silly.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 02:29:13 PM »
Welcome to 1988.

You cannot have a team with only one jump-shooter on it.

If I'm starting a team, I'm not going to start it with bigs - at least, not for Olympic competition or WCB competition.  I'm going to start it with my guards.

To that end,  Ray Allen, Michael Redd, and yes, Skander, Gilbert Arenas have made the team.  Assuming one doesn't want to go, you can add Rip Hamilton.  And, yes, Arenas will be going as a 2-guard.

For my point guards, Kidd is an excellent choice, as always.  Add Dwyane Wade (to pair with Arenas) and Chauncey Billups.  If any of them don't want to go, have Mike Bibby and Baron Davis waiting in the wings.

LeBron, McGrady, and Kobe.  Any two will do.

That means we're down to our bigs, which is where we're going to have our problems.

A back-to-the-basket post man:  Duncan and Shaq.  We need one of them.

Face-up big forwards:  Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, and Amare Stoudemire.  Pick two.

A big man with deep range and the ability to pass:  Troy Murphy or Rasheed Wallace.  Shawn Marion or Brad Miller in a pinch.  We need one of them.

For the coach:  Mike Khoweveryouspellitisstillamysterytome is a good pick, but he actually works throughout the year.  I want a coach that will spend time watching his players during their season.  In other words, I want someone UNEMPLOYED, but still outstanding.  Dean Smith or Hubie Brown would be good picks, as would Billy Cunningham or Chuck Daly.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 02:35:39 PM »
Starting:
LeBron
Kobe
KG
TD
Shaq

Backups
Kidd
T-Mac
Marion
Amare
O'Neil

R. Allen
Wade

First Team
Dwayne Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan

Second Team
Gilbert Arenas
Andre Iguodala
Shawn Marion
Elton Brand
Amare Stoudamire

Utility
Ray Allen or Mike Bibby or Chauncey Billups
Ben Wallace

No McGrady.  I went with Kobe and Iguodala, because Kobe is better than McGrady and I like the notion of having a defensive stopper on the perimeter.  We have lots of scorers.
I took Amare over Shaq, because simply at this point Amare is better, and in 2 years he will be a lot better than Shaq.
No Jason Kidd, went with Wade and Arenas.  In my opinion they are better.  Kidd is the superior passer, but this team has Garnett and LeBron as well.
Added Ben Wallace as the 3rd center or PF for 2 reasons.  We don't need scorers, we need people who will do the dirty work.  That is Ben personified.
Added Ray Allen, because he is such a good scorer.  No way with Micheal Redd.  He is in no way even close to Ray Allen.  I wouldn't have a problem with Bibby or Billups, I like their ability to make big shots, plus they give us another PG, which allows Wade to play some minutes at SG.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 02:38:46 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 02:42:58 PM »

After the FIBA refs hosed him in the last Olys, he said he was done with FIBA games.  

We shall see.  If the whole HeeHaw gang gets on board, aka the billionaire NBA stars club, i think TD will join in.
BTW its 2008 China.

Kidd is a definite but his knees in two/three years....
Shaq looks like his burning desire for revenge on the Lakers thus getting and staying in shape will give way to a burning desire for extra Whoopers and no aerobics.  Can't count on him but maybe he must be left on as a 12th man.

I'd also oust TMac and add Artest.
Also who is to say what is to become of some of the young uns, ie Dwight Howard.  Looking very good so far.

Otherwise I like the WOW team.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 03:13:33 PM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 03:12:25 PM »

I think some key defenders should be included as well, if there was only room for one, pick up Artest, the man could put the clamp down on anyone AND score.  As crazy as he is he could be a big asset to our dream team.

I thought I did a pretty good job of balancing O and D.  Kobe, KG, Marion and Kidd are all solid defenders, Kobe is a stopper.  He's not a full game stopper like Artest but he can be for minutes at a time.

IMO Allen has more skills than Redd.  I thought of Redd as well but I've seen Allen make Kobe/T-Mac like moves to the rim when defenders try to crowd his shot.
TD has said it a few times since his last Olympic treck, he would not like to play for the olympics again.  the officiating was horrible on him, he is used to NBA type of play and he was hobbled by not being able to transition to FIBA type of play, so he ended up in foul trouble quite a bit.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 03:13:20 PM »
Guys - you're going to need a couple of drop-dead three-point jumpshooters at a position OTHER than the point.  Remember what happened in 1988!  Hersey Hawkins went down with an injury, and we couldn't hit an open jumper.  Yes, Redd is somewhat one-dimensional, but it's an IMPORTANT dimension.  If not Redd, the Korver.  SOMEBODY who forces people to cover the perimeter tightly.

I like the idea of including Iguodala, but I simply don't have a spot open for him.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 03:15:27 PM »
Welcome to 1988.

If I'm starting a team, I'm not going to start it with bigs - at least, not for Olympic competition or WCB competition.  I'm going to start it with my guards.

To that end,  Ray Allen, Michael Redd, and yes, Skander, Gilbert Arenas have made the team.  Assuming one doesn't want to go, you can add Rip Hamilton.  And, yes, Arenas will be going as a 2-guard.

For my point guards, Kidd is an excellent choice, as always.  Add Dwyane Wade (to pair with Arenas) and Chauncey Billups.  If any of them don't want to go, have Mike Bibby and Baron Davis waiting in the wings.

LeBron, McGrady, and Kobe.  Any two will do.

That means we're down to our bigs, which is where we're going to have our problems.

A back-to-the-basket post man:  Duncan and Shaq.  We need one of them.

Face-up big forwards:  Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, and Amare Stoudemire.  Pick two.

A big man with deep range and the ability to pass:  Troy Murphy or Rasheed Wallace.  Shawn Marion or Brad Miller in a pinch.  We need one of them.

For the coach:  Mike Khoweveryouspellitisstillamysterytome is a good pick, but he actually works throughout the year.  I want a coach that will spend time watching his players during their season.  In other words, I want someone UNEMPLOYED, but still outstanding.  Dean Smith or Hubie Brown would be good picks, as would Billy Cunningham or Chuck Daly.
CHUCK DALY?!

pick Pop as coach, he has had the unfortunate luck of being assistant to losing USA squads, I think Pop could do a great job a HEAD coach of team USA.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 03:33:40 PM »
Welcome to 1988.

If I'm starting a team, I'm not going to start it with bigs - at least, not for Olympic competition or WCB competition.  I'm going to start it with my guards.

To that end,  Ray Allen, Michael Redd, and yes, Skander, Gilbert Arenas have made the team.  Assuming one doesn't want to go, you can add Rip Hamilton.  And, yes, Arenas will be going as a 2-guard.

For my point guards, Kidd is an excellent choice, as always.  Add Dwyane Wade (to pair with Arenas) and Chauncey Billups.  If any of them don't want to go, have Mike Bibby and Baron Davis waiting in the wings.

LeBron, McGrady, and Kobe.  Any two will do.

A back-to-the-basket post man:  Duncan and Shaq.  We need one of them.

Face-up big forwards:  Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, and Amare Stoudemire.  Pick two.

A big man with deep range and the ability to pass:  Troy Murphy or Rasheed Wallace.  Shawn Marion or Brad Miller in a pinch.  We need one of them.

For the coach:  Mike Khoweveryouspellitisstillamysterytome is a good pick, but he actually works throughout the year.  I want a coach that will spend time watching his players during their season.  In other words, I want someone UNEMPLOYED, but still outstanding.  Dean Smith or Hubie Brown would be good picks, as would Billy Cunningham or Chuck Daly.
CHUCK DALY?!

pick Pop as coach, he has had the unfortunate luck of being assistant to losing USA squads, I think Pop could do a great job a HEAD coach of team USA.
Imma say Pop also because if there is one thing the US players should be better at than the overseas players is defense.  What better coach to get maximum amount of defense from a squad than Pop?

Id also be up for Jerry Sloan because I don't think he would let the team seemingly give up like they did not too long ago.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 03:50:51 PM »
Starting:
LeBron
Kobe
KG
TD
Shaq

Backups
Kidd
T-Mac
Marion
Amare
O'Neil

R. Allen
Wade

First Team
Dwayne Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan

Second Team
Gilbert Arenas
Andre Iguodala
Shawn Marion
Elton Brand
Amare Stoudamire

Utility
Ray Allen or Mike Bibby or Chauncey Billups
Ben Wallace

No McGrady.  I went with Kobe and Iguodala, because Kobe is better than McGrady and I like the notion of having a defensive stopper on the perimeter.  We have lots of scorers.
I took Amare over Shaq, because simply at this point Amare is better, and in 2 years he will be a lot better than Shaq.
No Jason Kidd, went with Wade and Arenas.  In my opinion they are better.  Kidd is the superior passer, but this team has Garnett and LeBron as well.
Added Ben Wallace as the 3rd center or PF for 2 reasons.  We don't need scorers, we need people who will do the dirty work.  That is Ben personified.
Added Ray Allen, because he is such a good scorer.  No way with Micheal Redd.  He is in no way even close to Ray Allen.  I wouldn't have a problem with Bibby or Billups, I like their ability to make big shots, plus they give us another PG, which allows Wade to play some minutes at SG.
Ziggy -- I like your first squad but your second?

Kidd
T-Mac
Marion
Amare
O'Neil

Who can shoot from outside here?  TMac is okay but I wouldn't guard Kidd or Marion from the arc -- you need a different PG with this squad, IMO -- Billups or Arenas who can knock down shots from the arc.  Also, I'm not sure about TMac -- I'd like to see someone who is a bit more team oriented and a little less focused on his own shot with this squad -- someone who CAN knock down an open shot but is willing to pass the ball as well.  I'd prefer someone like Ray Allen.

However, with all of that said -- I'm ready for the US to start sending college students or young players to the Olympics.  The rest of the world STILL can't beat the top US players but I've seen too many NBA stars get used up by the Olympics and it's ALL in vain because a bunch of idiots are more focused on who looks better on a poster than how to put a team together (why don't they appoint a couple of GM's to put a squad together -- like West, LB or Pop).  Otherwise, I'd rather see us send young talented players who want to compete even if we lose.  The last two "dream teams" have totally disgusted me!  Even Mitch Kupchak could put together a better team than that -- on second thought, I'll just retract that last statement and say "my daughter could put together a better team than that and she doesn't even LIKE the NBA that much!"