Author Topic: Laker fans rejoice, Andrew Bryman is HERE!  (Read 11149 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Laker fans rejoice, Andrew Bryman is HERE!
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 01:03:52 PM »
you compared him to olawakandi WoW...he is the definition of a bust.  Did Kandi all the sudden drop that bust title recently?
westkoast,

Read the posts again.  I said he could develop the offensive moves of Kandi and Parish.  That is a compliment in that both those guys are akward long big men that have some really smooth and refined post moves.  Parish was consistent Kand is not.  I did not call him a bust, only compared his offensive potential.

Then Randy and you said that Brnum disproved all my observations in a 2 minute stint vs. the Spurs.  I used Kandi as an example of a guy who can light it up for a couple of minutes or games and then diappear.  Didn't call him a bust there either, just stated that one game does not prove or disprove a players game.

I've seen him in several games, against NBA and non-NBA competition and that's how I came to my conclusion.

Not to mention I compared him to Parish.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 01:58:23 PM »
Sure, Mihm puts up some decent numbers at times but he actually is given a green light and encouraged to look for his offensive game.

Which is kinda my point, if Bynum's offensive game has surpassed that of Mihm's, I should think a coach with the competetance of PJ would give Andrew the "green light".  If Bynum did a MUCH better job of controlling the paint on the defensive side than Mihm and Brown, wouldn't Phil make sure he got more than 8 minutes a game, most of which is in garbage time.  

Now I did read an article where Phil thinks Bynum's development and impressive play against the Spurs the other night has warranted a tad more playing time to see what the rook can bring with consistent playing time.  His rebound and especially block PER 40 are pretty good.  

I've seen some Laker games but unfortunately Bynum didn't see any playing time in those games.  I still think that to state that Bynum at this stage is a "better" player than either Mihm and Brown at this stage is way too premature.    Perhaps soon (if he's good), perhaps later (if he's slow to develop), but definitely not now.      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 05:24:37 PM »
Sure, Mihm puts up some decent numbers at times but he actually is given a green light and encouraged to look for his offensive game.

Which is kinda my point, if Bynum's offensive game has surpassed that of Mihm's, I should think a coach with the competetance of PJ would give Andrew the "green light".  If Bynum did a MUCH better job of controlling the paint on the defensive side than Mihm and Brown, wouldn't Phil make sure he got more than 8 minutes a game, most of which is in garbage time.  

Now I did read an article where Phil thinks Bynum's development and impressive play against the Spurs the other night has warranted a tad more playing time to see what the rook can bring with consistent playing time.  His rebound and especially block PER 40 are pretty good.  

I've seen some Laker games but unfortunately Bynum didn't see any playing time in those games.  I still think that to state that Bynum at this stage is a "better" player than either Mihm and Brown at this stage is way too premature.    Perhaps soon (if he's good), perhaps later (if he's slow to develop), but definitely not now.
I personally think he is the better player right now because he is playing better defense and controlling the glass better than Mihm is.   Not only is Mihm not playing good defense in the paint he is actually putting the Lakers over the limit in every game with his AT&T defense...he loves to reach out and touch someone instead of getting better position.   The Lakers defense is the biggest problem with this team right now.  While it would be nice to have more points in the paint it would be even nicer to have the other team have LESS points in the paint.  The last 4 Laker losses have all been mainly because of easy buckets they are giving up.  Either during a push to get caught up (ie. Spurs the other night) or when they are in the lead (Bulls the other night).  Manu and Parker were getting layups left and right each trip down it seemed.  When Bynum came in that started to trickle down and that is when the Lakers were able to make a push towards them.  The Spurs were not getting very many easy layups and Bynum was snatching rebounds to make it one and out for the Spurs.  During the major push they had in the 2nd quarter he had 6 rebounds in 7 minutes.

His offensive game is not better than Chris Mihm's at this point and thats not where I was basing him being better.  Mihm has 2 post moves and has not been going up strong unless he has a wide open dunk.  He has a jump shot over Bynum and of course the fact that he has been chosen to be our weapon in the paint.  Part of the reason, IMO, comes from the fact that Bynum has yet to learn how to use his body to score rather than his length.  

There are a few reasons why Bynum, even though he is doing a better job defensively than both guys, is not getting as much playing time

1) PJ doesnt like to play rookies regardless.  He wasnt given much of a chance because he is young and a rookie (not that I blame Phil for that) .  Phil has been forced to use him now and I think he is showing Phil he can play.

2) He is trying to learn NBA basketball and learn the triangle offense at the same time.  There are seasoned vets on this team that cant grasp the triangle LOL.  Mihm knows the triangle better than Bynum at this point.

3) Phil really would like to work Kwame into a better player than he is currently and has given him more time based on that.  Does he deserve it?  IMO no because ive yet to see 2 games where he has played very well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:31:28 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 06:50:25 PM »

You want to kill a rookie's confidence?  Just throw him in as a starter and let him struggle.  This kid is 18 years old and you want him to play in the post against TD, Yao, Shaq, etc.?  You want him to be the guy you are funneling players to on the defensive end?  

Is Bynum going to go win a bunch of games for us?  No, I don't think so -- so let him get into the game gradually.  Give him some quality minutes and let him get some playing time gaining confidence a little at a time.  Don't put a ton of pressure on him at 18 -- just give him some opportunities to play the game.  Don't pressure him to score -- tell him to play good defense and to let the offensive game come to him.  

That's EXACTLY what I would do with an 18 year old center -- if I had another center to start (and I wasn't concerned about making the playoffs -- something the Lakers don't look like they will accomplish anyway).

Mihm and Brown are WASTES -- you aren't going to hurt them because they can't be hurt.  Mihm would be a quality back-up center -- Brown is a waste of roster space.  

My comment about Bynum being a better player is based on what I HAVE seen him do on the court -- and what I HAVEN'T seen Mihm and Brown do.  I've seen Bynum alter shots -- I haven't seen Brown or Mihm CHALLENGE any shots hardly.  

You seem to think this is a elevation on Bynum -- it's not -- it's an indictment on Mihm and Brown.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 07:09:20 PM »

You seem to think this is a elevation on Bynum -- it's not -- it's an indictment on Mihm and Brown.
Pretty much sums up what I was trying to get at.  Its not so much of Bynum is great as it is Brown/Mihm are piss poor IMO.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 07:09:52 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Laker fans rejoice, Andrew Bryman is HERE!
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 03:11:22 AM »
I see very little progress with Bynum at this point.  In fact I see some regression.  Bynum is doing a terrible job of protecting the paint.  He's not aware of where all the players are on the court.  He's very slow on rotations and at times doesn't even make an attempt at protecting the paint because he has no idea there is a player going for a score.  His offensive moves are not on par with Kaman and I'm getting concerned with this basketball IQ.  I think he will become a smarter player than Kaman but his game is not all that developed and he's had plenty of time to work on it.

It could be that Gasol has stunted Bynum's growth so I'll give the guy some more time but he STILL has journeyman written all over him.  Bynum did not do a very good job on Howard on both ends of the court, he needs to pay attention to Gasol, he did a much better job, as well as you can do against a beast like Howard.

Tough loss for the Lakers and half of the blame is on the Lakers front line for not protecting the boards and the other half is on Kobe for being human for a night.  Then again I could just put all the blame on PJ for not making the proper adjustments in the 4th quarter, in particular not having the ball in Odom's hands a bit more.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »
I see very little progress with Bynum at this point.  In fact I see some regression. 

So do I.  Ever since he had those outbursts with teammates and he ran around to the local media telling them to start calling himself "A-Train" he has really took a nose dive.  I wonder if it has to do with someone verbally checking him and Bynum going the 'pouty kid' route?  Right now the one major thing holding him back is his attitude.  Rebounding when you are quick, young, and that tall is very simple *IF* you have any desire to do it for an entire game.  If Dwight Howard can consistently pull down 20 rebounds in big games why doesn't Bynum have at least 10-15 in each game?  Dwight clearly wants to snatch every basketball.  Bynum not so much.

With that said giving up on him and deeming his career average so soon is not fair.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »
I don't know WOW.  He shows flashes of being more than just an average player.  Tonight for example he looked AWESOME.  Granted they are playing the Clippers and they are light in the wallet.  Still, impressive. 

42 - 15 - 3
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:49:22 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 09:44:42 AM »
I don't know WOW.  He shows flashes of being more than just an average player.  Tonight for example he looked AWESOME.  Granted they are playing the Clippers and they are light in the wallet.  Still, impressive. 

42 - 15 - 3

He went up against a team who's front line has been DECIMATED!!!  Give me a break.  IMO Jordan showed as much potential as Bynum, in fact Jordan showed more considering the shot blocking.  Gasol and Bynum could not stop a 4th string rookie bench scrub so I'm not to happy about the performance.  Hopefully this will get Bynum going but I think the combo of his attitude and Gasol's presence will keep him about where he's been all year, if he's able to duplicate last seasons 13/10 he'll be just and fine and pretty much what I've expected from him since day 1.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »
I think back in the late 80's or early 90's the Lakers considered bringing on Dwane Causwell or Joe Barry Carrol.  Well, we've got the 00's version of those guys NOW!
Wow, just curious as to exactly what you are saying here.

Causwell has a great deal of "potential" -- and of course, never lived up to it!  However, when he came into the league, he was a lot older than Bynum -- who is still only 18.  I have actually LIKED what I have seen from Bynum.  He definately needs to hit the weights, work on his offensive repertoire and learn the rigors of the NBA and it's defense but I like watching him a WHOLE lot more than Brown or Mihm!  At this point, I'm hoping that AC Green or Kurt Rambis will come out of retirement just to make somebody think twice about driving to the hole!   :fire:  

Actually I am VERY curious as to exactly what YOU are saying here.

Causwell HAD great potential, but since he has long left the League, I assume you are now talking about his current potential as a quasi-living coach potato somewhere.

Bynum was 18 three years ago. People age every year, Randy. Bynum is no exception. While he is still young enough to be considered a "project" with "potential", and still needs to put some dive weights in his shorts to hold his own against stronger and bigger opponents, he still might improve his game, if he stops admiring himself and starts listening to people. In that regard, he might as well be part of the playing court.

At least you don't have to watch the Kings play. They were never even in the game last night against the woeful Bullets - at HOME!!!

If I wanted to watch a bunch of spineless pussys putting out (h)airballs, I'd go down to the local county animal shelter that caters to paraplegic kitties and stare at them romping around. At least THEY would be happy to be there.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
If I wanted to watch a bunch of spineless pussys putting out (h)airballs, I'd go down to the local county animal shelter that caters to paraplegic kitties and stare at them romping around. At least THEY would be happy to be there.

JoMal, any interest in a Boozer for Kevin Martin trade? Might as well get all the spineless pussies on one team.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 12:03:19 PM »

JoMal, any interest in a Boozer for Kevin Martin trade? Might as well get all the spineless pussies on one team.

So you would prefer Bobby Jackson straight up for Boozer? Might as well keep Martin here so he feels surrounded by like-minded pussy's.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »

42 - 15 - 3

He went up against a team who's front line has been DECIMATED!!!  Give me a break.  IMO Jordan showed as much potential as Bynum, in fact Jordan showed more considering the shot blocking.  Gasol and Bynum could not stop a 4th string rookie bench scrub so I'm not to happy about the performance.  Hopefully this will get Bynum going but I think the combo of his attitude and Gasol's presence will keep him about where he's been all year, if he's able to duplicate last seasons 13/10 he'll be just and fine and pretty much what I've expected from him since day 1.

Can you tell me the last time Brendan Haywood dropped 42 points, snatched 15 rebounds, and had 3 blocks in one game?

Don't worry, I'll Wait.... :D

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »

42 - 15 - 3

Can you tell me the last time Brendan Haywood dropped 42 points, snatched 15 rebounds, and had 3 blocks in one game?

He would have done it the first time he faced the Clippers this year, but he's probably out for the season.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »

42 - 15 - 3

He would have done it the first time he faced the Clippers this year, but he's probably out for the season.

He's never done it in his career.