Author Topic: Corey MEgetty  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« on: November 15, 2005, 03:22:02 PM »
Altho the Clips are off to their best start in 20 years, look at MEgettys  :bs:  response to being temporary 6th man -still getting 26 min a game while Dunleavy follows the medical staffs advice to ease him back in:

Maggette Doesn't Reserve Opinion
By Pete Thomas, Times Staff Writer

Asked how he felt about his role as sixth man, Corey Maggette made clear Monday during a post-practice interview that he didn't care for the question.

"I ain't no sixth man," he interrupted, emphatically.

Maggette, the Clippers' leading scorer the last two seasons, has come off the bench in each of the three games in which he has played since returning from a hamstring injury suffered during the preseason.

Coach Mike Dunleavy, on the advice of the team's medical staff, has been bringing the forward along slowly, increasing his playing time by a few minutes each game.

Maggette played 29 minutes in the Clippers' 113-108 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday, scoring 20 points. On Monday, he said the hamstring "is doing good" and that he understood Dunleavy's reasoning. But …

"I know it's for precautionary reasons. That's just how doctors are," Maggette said. "But I feel like I can do what I've got to do.

"Hopefully by the next game [tonight against Milwaukee] or the game after that, I should be back in the [starting] lineup.

"There's no reason why I shouldn't be back in there unless they're trying to make some changes, which I won't like. My role is to go out there and play basketball, and not as a bench player."   (Reality here, ya changes like winning games you pampered puss)

Starting at the small forward position has been Quinton Ross, who has averaged 8.1 points and 4.6 rebounds but is the team's best defender.

Dunleavy would not say when Maggette, who is the team's second-leading scorer at 19 points a game, might be in the starting lineup.

But he made it clear that any such change would be made by the coaching staff and not the player.

"I haven't really talked to him about it, " Dunleavy said. "Because it's my decision who plays when and where."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 05:44:11 PM »
I understand where he is comming from, kinda.  He does love the game and is talented enough to start.  Then my common sense kicks in and I realize he is an idiot and selfish.  The reason he wants to come back so fast is he also would like credit with how well they are playing.   The Clips are making the right decision because they know down the stretch of the season they really will need him to be 100%.  Instead of maybe 80% because he wanted to force coming back from an injury.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:02:51 AM »
Also it might make sense to start the better defender and bring the offensive spark off the bench.  Also there is always the old saying...it doesn't matter who is starting the game ; it is who is finishing that is important.

If Maggette is getting starter like minutes and is on the floor during crunch time then he should shut up and play the TEAM game.  If he is that worried about starting I would start him a few games and limit his minutes to about 15 a game.  Then maybe he would understand that starting isn't the most important factor in basketball.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:18:15 AM »
I don't see any problem with maggette saying he wants to start.  Duh.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 02:31:57 PM »
Except by going to the press it could cause chemistry problems...otherwise I agree he can say whatever he wants.  But then as an Eagles fan I think you would understand the problems that could arise from a player talking too much.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 02:42:23 PM »
He would much rather start and lose while putting up MEgetty stats then be temp 6th man and the team win, off to it's best start in 20 years.  Of that i have no doubt.  

You can have MEgetty.  Below average heartless rebounder, does't know what an assist is.  

Not to mention the tone.  I ain't no 6th man.
Well the Clippers, like all NBA teams have a 6th man who is more or less vital to their winning or not come playofftime.  Oh wait, you have no clue as to playoffs.  It's an implied diss at 6th man.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 02:43:53 PM »
If he is that worried about starting I would start him a few games and limit his minutes to about 15 a game.  Then maybe he would understand that starting isn't the most important factor in basketball.
 :up:

I'd start him for 30 seconds and bench him.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 03:45:37 PM »
You know while it makes sense to start you're talented 20 point scorer, I don't know that I would necessarily do it if I'm Dunleavy.  Quinton Ross has given the Clippers a presence on the defensive side that I thought would have vanished when they let Simmons go.  Magette has given what I think is a WEAK bench some scoring punch.  The minutes would still be 30-18 Magette, but I don't know that I start him and risk throwing the good mojo into whack......well....at least while the mojo remains good.      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 04:32:33 PM »
Is it that big of a deal that he gets to hop around at Staples Center when they dim the lights and do the intro to introduce the starting 5?  Skand hit it dead on with his point about him adding some scoring punch to a weak bench.   That is a great way to use him, for the time being, until he is 100%.

Can someone tell me what happend to doing anything that would benefit your team and liking it?  Is that something that was lost long ago in the NBA?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 04:35:00 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 05:21:33 PM »
He would much rather start and lose while putting up MEgetty stats then be temp 6th man and the team win

Where did he say anything about losing?  Can you bold this?

He obviously has confidence in himself.  I don't know 1 player in the league who thinks they'll make their team worse by starting.  Obviously if he feels he's talented enough to start he feels he's making the team better.

Whether or not his confidence in himself is well founded is another argument, but it's not a ME statement.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 12:48:15 PM »
He would much rather start and lose while putting up MEgetty stats then be temp 6th man and the team win

Where did he say anything about losing?  Can you bold this?

He did not say quote word for word "I want to be on a losing Clippers team".

However the context speaks volumes.  Clips have not been to the playoffs in 20 years.  He has been a Clip for the past 5 years.  4 of 5 fulltime.  All non playoff and mostly losing seasons.  Now the Clips have their best start in 20 years.  Plus his shooting % is better by far then any previous season, albeit early in the year but as a 6th man.  50%.  Since he doesnt assist or steal and is only an average rebounder, that is huge for his game contribution.  In todays NBA 50%.  In a season that coincides with the Pacific Patsy Divisions weakest in years, thus even furthering the Clips playoff outlook.  

So instead of whining about his Me minutes being temporarily reduced, how about a context comment like some of these:

"We are off to our best start in 20 years.  I am really enjoying being a part of this.  I'd like to start, but I'm happy to contribute as is plus I'm getting over 25 minutes a game.  We are 6-2 with a chance to beat the Lakers tonight, and that's great"

"We really believe we have a shot at the playoffs.  We are off to a good start and I am happy to contribute to that start."

"Elton Brand is so much better then me, I need to shut my piehole."

"I'm another soft swishy Duke forward.  I would like to live down that rep and contribute to a winning playoff team.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 07:07:05 PM »
Looks like MEgetty has started two straight and the clippers have won 2 straight.

Maybe MEgetty was justified in thinking he could help the team win.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 10:32:15 AM »
Looks like MEgetty has started two straight and the clippers have won 2 straight.

Obviously DEbodner did not see the 1st win, that being vs Lakers.  MEgetty was pathetic, horking up all kinds of ill advised shots to go 6-21.  Along with his usual no rebounds and no assists and weak D.  In the 4th qtr when the Clippers tried to Dumbleavy away a 13 point lead, MEgetty had several of his forced one on oners, the worst not being a 25 foot prayer as the Lakers moved closer but a 1 on 3 drive whereupon instead of passing, MEgetty tried being "da man" yet again and charged into a completely set Laker for the turnover.  Other end he was a matador vs Kobme and Odom, especially with game on line late 4th.  

Lakers closed to within 5 and had Elton Brand travel or go over the halfcourt line take your pick for a turnover and all the momentum.  Instead refs bail out Brand with a call on Odom.  If you saw it westkoast, testify.  Talk about everything turning around for LakerDom.

Beyond that play, Brand was fantastic along with Sam I am and Mobley.  Clips won is spite of MEgetty.

Now as for Win 2 vs Golden State last night, he actually rebounded and had 5 assists.  I did not see game but stats would appear to say this was his best game of the season and one of the best of his career.  He must have been doing something much different then usual.  Sure let him start when he decides[/size] to play team ball.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Corey MEgetty
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 02:47:52 PM »

Obviously DEbodner did not see the 1st win, that being vs Lakers.  MEgetty was pathetic, horking up all kinds of ill advised shots to go 6-21.  Along with his usual no rebounds and no assists and weak D.  In the 4th qtr when the Clippers tried to Dumbleavy away a 13 point lead, MEgetty had several of his forced one on oners, the worst not being a 25 foot prayer as the Lakers moved closer but a 1 on 3 drive whereupon instead of passing, MEgetty tried being "da man" yet again and charged into a completely set Laker for the turnover.  Other end he was a matador vs Kobme and Odom, especially with game on line late 4th.  

Lakers closed to within 5 and had Elton Brand travel or go over the halfcourt line take your pick for a turnover and all the momentum.  Instead refs bail out Brand with a call on Odom.  If you saw it westkoast, testify.  Talk about everything turning around for LakerDom.

Beyond that play, Brand was fantastic along with Sam I am and Mobley.  Clips won is spite of MEgetty.

Now as for Win 2 vs Golden State last night, he actually rebounded and had 5 assists.  I did not see game but stats would appear to say this was his best game of the season and one of the best of his career.  He must have been doing something much different then usual.  Sure let him start when he decides[/size] to play team ball.
"Lakers closed to within 5 and had Elton Brand travel or go over the halfcourt line take your pick for a turnover and all the momentum. Instead refs bail out Brand with a call on Odom. If you saw it westkoast, testify. Talk about everything turning around for LakerDom"

Yup def a momentum killer I have to agree with that one.  The game was just about over from that point on.

Also Magette was doing his usual when Kobe comes to play the Clips, which is try to out gun him from 20 feet out everytime he touches the ball.  6-21 says it all.   He wasnt a complete loose cannon but he had plenty of his own ill advised decisions/shots.  His defense also seemed to be a bit lacking, almost like he was unable to move his feet as well as he normally does.  He usually does a good job when put on Kobe (except when he tries to wear Kobe down by taking ill advised shots on the other end lol)  Chris Kaman bailed him out a number of times by blocking Kobe and forcing him to alter his shot.  Which is why we were making comments about him sitting until he is 100%..right now id say hes about 90% based on his footwork on defense.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 02:49:16 PM by westkoast »