Author Topic: Mark Cuban Vs. Kenny and Charles Barkley  (Read 4104 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Mark Cuban Vs. Kenny and Charles Barkley
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 03:53:21 PM »
Wait! I am a white guy but I dont play at a private gym =[
You spell coast with a "k", I didn't put you on "white guy".

No friggin way you're white, no FRIGGIN way!

What is this world comming too?
I am italiano even though my last name (if you still remember it) doesnt sound very italian.

I spell coast with a 'K' because it stands out more.  Not to be hip.  Switched to that after I decided 'CaliKid' was a corny name at MSNBC.
Italiano huh?  Need to dig up my WOP jokes.  The funniest guy I've ever met is a knuckle dragging WOP.  He knows some great jokes and can do all the voices, Indian/Paki, Asian, Hispanic, Black etc...  He's a riot.

His wife is Sicilan, he loves quoting her Dennis Hopper's lines from the movie True Romance.  "So you're Sicilian?"  That was an amazing exchange between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walkin in that movie.
Let me just put into perspective exactly how Italian my family is (my family is sicilian) we have homemade pizza, dough and everything, during Thanksgiving.  We have the normal dinner everyone has and then pizza as another dish.  The young kids in the family love it, with their alloated one glass of red wine.
I just came back from Sicily and sorry to inform you, but pizza is not really a Sicilian dish; it is Neopolitan.

If you want a truly traditional Sicilian dish for Thanksgiving, you have to try pasta with almond sauce (tried it - personally? Yuck!), swordfish, prepared various ways, and pasta with eggplant. Sicilians love eggplant.

But the one dish I never tired of while there? The seafood pasta dishes. Though technically also Neopolitan (what good Italian food isn't?), the Sicilians have mastered to preparation of it to pretty much match the dish from Naples.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 04:14:36 PM »
Hate to digress from the lovely side conversation between Fredo and Michael, but...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no funnier show than Inside the NBA.  What I find the most hilarious is that Charles and to a lesser extent Kenny still have no idea where the obscure line of 'going too far' is for national cable TV.  Ernie Johnson is as professional a sports anchor as there is today and its a riot watching him turn different shades of red-violet after Charles has publicly humiliated an entire geographical location.  

Basketball knowledge wise, there aren't too many who are gonna say it like it is, like Charles and Kenny.  Kenny has a bad habit of stating the obvious and Charles likes generalizing a touch, but generally their synopsis is spot on.  Magic isn't bad and I have a feeling Reggie will be really really good.  His sister is one of the most underrated sideline reporters for basketball.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the Mavericks or any other team for that reason playing Phoenix, I would put my top two perimeter defenders on Shawn Marion and Kurt Thomas.  I don't care if you're top perimeter defender is Earl Boykins, stick him on Marion and when they pick and roll, now Steve Nash is going to have to deal with a great perimeter defender instead of (Dirk Nowitzki, Kwame Brown, Kenny Thomas) -- <insert slow footed big man here>-- and I think teams would have more success.  Although Shawn Marion is a talented offensive player, he isn't a back to the basket post threat.  If Dallas had placed Darryl Armstrong (Harris, Daniels, Howard) on Marion instead of Dirk Nowitzki, I don't think Phoenix pushes it to a 17 point lead.  The ONLY TEAM in the NBA who is gonna get away with putting their Center on Marion is Detroit because they have Ben Wallace (who is just as good of a perimeter defender as you'll find).  Also would someone please show AGGRESSIVELY on that pick and roll, for christ sakes people, you know exactly what Phoenix is gonna do in the half court, do what it takes to stop it.  Grow some huevos and force Phoenix to beat you some other way.
I better be Michael!!!!

Btw, while we are on the subject of the Godfather and Italians....The Godfather Returns book is a good read.  Written by Mark Winegardner.

JoMaL, I know pizza is not sicilian but I was just putting into perspective how wop-ish my family is.  My family always makes fun of me for how Americanized I am =[
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 04:24:12 PM »
Sicilians love eggplant.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

Have either of you guys seen "True Romance"?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 04:31:59 PM »
I better be Michael!!!!

Btw, while we are on the subject of the Godfather and Italians....The Godfather Returns book is a good read.  Written by Mark Winegardner.

JoMaL, I know pizza is not sicilian but I was just putting into perspective how wop-ish my family is.  My family always makes fun of me for how Americanized I am =[
The Godfather Returns is one of the books I read while in Italy. It does fill in some gaps between the three Puzo versions, adds some more characters, and delves into Fredo, Tom, and Clemenza much more then it does Michael. Overall, not a bad read either.

I am sure you are aware of where various Italian foods originated, WK. Sicily is a beautiful place, but Palermo is kind of a hard city to navigate and like Naples, the less time spent there the better. I prefer Erice and Siracusa. We also stayed on the Isle of Capri, Positano, and Sorrento and visited Pompei and Herculaneum.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

guest-koast

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 05:13:41 PM »
I better be Michael!!!!

Btw, while we are on the subject of the Godfather and Italians....The Godfather Returns book is a good read.  Written by Mark Winegardner.

JoMaL, I know pizza is not sicilian but I was just putting into perspective how wop-ish my family is.  My family always makes fun of me for how Americanized I am =[
The Godfather Returns is one of the books I read while in Italy. It does fill in some gaps between the three Puzo versions, adds some more characters, and delves into Fredo, Tom, and Clemenza much more then it does Michael. Overall, not a bad read either.

I am sure you are aware of where various Italian foods originated, WK. Sicily is a beautiful place, but Palermo is kind of a hard city to navigate and like Naples, the less time spent there the better. I prefer Erice and Siracusa. We also stayed on the Isle of Capri, Positano, and Sorrento and visited Pompei and Herculaneum.
Without being nosy could you tell me about how much a trip out there runs?  I've wanted to go out there for a really long time, both to see a beautiful area and to see where my great grandmother and grandfather are from.  I have 2 1/2 weeks paid vacation and I don't want to waste it going somewhere blah.  I need to really recharge my batteries FAR FAR away from smog, traffic, and fake chests.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 05:20:20 PM »
What's wrong with fake chests?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

guest-koast

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 05:21:54 PM »
What's wrong with fake chests?
Sometimes the breasts are moved too far apart, some have stretch marks and/or scars, they feel like rubbing your knee, what else?

(I love fake chests I am just saying I need a change of scenery  :D  Tryna stick with the generic stereotypes of California jeez Joe.)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 06:41:57 PM »
I better be Michael!!!!

Btw, while we are on the subject of the Godfather and Italians....The Godfather Returns book is a good read.  Written by Mark Winegardner.

JoMaL, I know pizza is not sicilian but I was just putting into perspective how wop-ish my family is.  My family always makes fun of me for how Americanized I am =[

Without being nosy could you tell me about how much a trip out there runs?  I've wanted to go out there for a really long time, both to see a beautiful area and to see where my great grandmother and grandfather are from.  I have 2 1/2 weeks paid vacation and I don't want to waste it going somewhere blah.  I need to really recharge my batteries FAR FAR away from smog, traffic, and fake chests.
How much does a trip to Sicily cost?

That entire depends on how you want to do it. Join a tour group and you can pay thousands just to hang out with a bunch of people with whom you have nothing in common.

Because of the exchange rate (roughly $0.80 U.S. to E-1 Euro), my wife and I probably spent in the neighborhood of $5,000 to $6,000, but we spread it over a long time period. We paid for the air well in advance, we prepaid for rail passes and ferry crossings where we could. Several of the hotels or apartments where we stayed required a deposit to keep the reservation. We prepaid for most of the car expenses used in Sicily (the only part of Italy where we rented a car), and we charged as much as we could while there. We probably spent about $1,800 in cash during the trip because Southern Italy and Sicily are not that credit card happy as they are in the North, where we spent the first week of the trip (we spent about three weeks over there).

Italy is not the bargain that it used to be. When we first went to Italy back in the Eighties, everything seemed dirt cheap, but the country was a nightmare to navigate due to strikes, inconsistent midday siestas, long lines at the banks and exchange counters, and very inconsistent opening and closing times for museums and sites.

Now, everything is much more efficient, trains run on schedule, the sites are (mostly) open when they say they will be, and the people are more serious and industrious. Thank the EU for that.

This trip was more strenuous then some previous trips we have taken to Italy. We flew in to Venice, went from there to Sirmione on Lake Garda, then to Florence, Siena, Orvieto, Naples - took a night train from Naples to Siracusa in Sicily (they put your sleeper car directly on the ferry over to Sicily), drove clear across Sicily, stopping at Agrigento on the way, to the hill town of Erice, visited Marsala to see the Punic War ship they found there, on to Palermo (we could not manage to fit in Corleone), took a night ferry back to Naples and continued the same day over to Capri to stay, then back to Sorrento to catch a bus down the Amalfi Coast to Positano (to see this lovely town, rent "Only You", with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr., with a funny cameo by Billy Zane - one of my wife's favorite movies), back to Sorrento for two nights stay in an apartment - the best place we stayed the entire trip -, and finally to Rome, where we flew out.

We pre-booked every place we stayed on the trip. Mostly these were budget type places and they varied quite a bit. You pay a fortune to stay in Venice and Rome, but Southern Italy tends to be a bit cheaper. Decent rooms go for anywhere from 80 Euros a night to the 125.00 we paid in Rome for a less then nice room. It was okay, but at that price you can stay at a Villa out in the Tuscan countryside. The apartment in Erice cost 80 Euros a night and was old, but fine with us. Food is not so cheap. Both lunches and dinners cost roughly the same, and unless you like to picnic for lunch (not a very Italian thing to do), you are looking at spending about 50 to 60 Euros per meal for two, including wine. More if you end up eating both a "primi" and a "secondi" course, which we hardly every did. An antipasta, a pasta dish, and perhaps one other contorni (sidedish), plus wine and water (you always buy your drinking water with dinner, with or without gas) and that is your meal.

I tried several secondi dishes, which are your basic steak, chicken, and fish courses, but I much, much, much preferred the pasta or risoto dishes in the primi section of the menu, and they were hearty enough to skip the secondi if you get a good antipasta or salad to go with it.

Tipping, by the way, is very arbitrary in Italy. You technically do not have to tip, but often we were told upon being handed the "il conto" that service was not included. It helps to check the tab to make sure a service charge was not added. That little trick was tried on me in Naples and I called the waiter on it, greatly embarassing him by doing so. Tourists, especially American tourists used to tipping, are easy targets for that one. But even if service is not listed, tipping is not expected but it is just appreciated. A normal tip on those occasions is about 12% of the total.

The most dangerous scam we faced was also tried on us on the ferry from Palermo to Naples. The cashier on board at the dinner buffet tried to tell us the 50 Euro note (only available from ATM machines - you NEVER get a note that large anywhere else) we used to pay for the meal was fake. He handed it back to me and asked for other money to pay for the meal. This, of course, was intended to embarass us, which, in turn would make us stupid American tourists not question this and try to cover up for the problem immediately. The only problem was that the bill he handed back to us (that's right, instead of keeping it and reporting it, he gave it back to us) was clearly not the bill I gave him, because I folded all my bills in a certain way and the one he gave back was old and very wrinkled. But I only noticed that later on. We got the manager, accused the cashier of passing bad money back, and got reimbursed, but what a bother. The manager was convinced when I pointed out two things: Why did the cashier give me back supposedly bad money, which the manager confirmed was bad, and what is the Bank Of Roma doing distributing supposedly bad Euros out of its ATM machines, which is the only way, as far as I could tell, anyone in Italy could even GET a 50 Euro note?

Westkoast, I do not yet know the exact figures for this trip because all the charges have not yet come in, but past trips usually cost about as much as I have stated. We have gone to Europe at least once, sometimes more, every year since 1983 and lately it has cost us that much with the way we travel - backpacks, trains, budget accommodations, cars on occasion, and buses and ferries when needed. Museum passes, metro passes, and miscellaneous expenses add to it, but that is why you go.

The one area in which we do NOT scrimp is food. We research restaurants and revisit favorites, regardless of the cost. Way too important to skip this important aspect of travel.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 06:58:16 PM by JoMal »

guest-koast

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 06:58:54 PM »
I better be Michael!!!!

How much does a trip to Sicily cost?

That entire depends on how you want to do it. Join a tour group and you can pay thousands just to hang out with a bunch of people with whom you have nothing in common.

Because of the exchange rate (roughly $0.80 U.S. to E-1 Euro), my wife and I probably spent in the neighborhood of $5,000 to $6,000, but we spread it over a long time period. We paid for the air well in advance, we prepaid for rail passes and ferry crossings where we could. Several of the hotels or apartments where we stayed required a deposit to keep the reservation. We prepaid for most of the car expenses used in Sicily (the only part of Italy where we rented a car), and we charged as much as we could while there. We probably spent about $1,800 in cash during the trip because Southern Italy and Sicily are not that credit card happy as they are in the North, where we spent the first week of the trip (we spent about three weeks over there).

Italy is not the bargain that it used to be. When we first went to Italy back in the Eighties, everything seemed dirt cheap, but the country was a nightmare to navigate due to strikes, inconsistent midday siestas, long lines at the banks and exchange counters, and very inconsistent opening and closing times for museums and sites.

Now, everything is much more efficient, trains run on schedule, the sites are (mostly) open when they say they will be, and the people are more serious and industrious. Thank the EU for that.

This trip was more strenuous then some previous trips we have taken to Italy. We flew in to Venice, went from there to Sirmione on Lake Garda, then to Florence, Siena, Orvieto, Naples - took a night train from Naples to Siracusa in Sicily (they put your sleeper car directly on the ferry over to Sicily), drove clear across Sicily, stopping at Agrigento on the way, to the hill town of Erice, visited Marsala to see the Punic War ship they found there, on to Palermo (we could not manage to fit in Corleone), took a night ferry back to Naples and continued the same day over to Capri to stay, then back to Sorrento to catch a bus down the Amalfi Coast to Positano (to see this lovely town, rent "Only You", with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr., with a funny cameo by Billy Zane - one of my wife's favorite movies), back to Sorrento for two nights stay in an apartment - the best place we stayed the entire trip -, and finally to Rome, where we flew out.

We pre-booked every place we stayed on the trip. Mostly these were budget type places and they varied quite a bit. You pay a fortune to stay in Venice and Rome, but Southern Italy tends to be a bit cheaper. Decent rooms go for anywhere from 80 Euros a night to the 125.00 we paid in Rome for a less then nice room. It was okay, but at that price you can stay at a Villa out in the Tuscan countryside. The apartment in Erice cost 80 Euros a night and was old, but fine with us. Food is not so cheap. Both lunches and dinners cost roughly the same, and unless you like to picnic for lunch (not a very Italian thing to do), you are looking at spending about 50 to 60 Euros per meal for two, including wine. More if you end up eating both a "primi" and a "secondi" course, which we hardly every did. An antipasta, a pasta dish, and perhaps one other contorni (sidedish), plus wine and water (you always buy your drinking water with dinner, with or without gas) and that is your meal.

I tried several secondi dishes, which are your basic steak, chicken, and fish courses, but I much, much, much preferred the pasta or risoto dishes in the primi section of the menu, and they were hearty enough to skip the secondi if you get a good antipasta or salad to go with it.

Tipping, by the way, is very arbitrary in Italy. You technically do not have to tip, but often we were told upon being handed the "il conto" that service was not included. It helps to check the tab to make sure a service charge was not added. That little trick was tried on me in Naples and I called the waiter on it, greatly embarassing him by doing so. Tourists, especially American tourists used to tipping, are easy targets for that one. But even if service is not listed, tipping is not expected but it is just appreciated. A normal tip on those occasions is about 12% of the total.

The most dangerous scam we faced was also tried on us on the ferry from Palermo to Naples. The cashier on board at the dinner buffet tried to tell us the 50 Euro note (only available from ATM machines - you NEVER get a note that large anywhere else) we used to pay for the meal was fake. He handed it back to me and asked for other money to pay for the meal. This, of course, was intended to embarass us, which, in turn would make us stupid American tourists not question this and try to cover up for the problem immediately. The only problem was that the bill he handed back to us (that's right, instead of keeping it and reporting it, he gave it back to us) was clearly not the bill I gave him, because I folded all my bills in a certain way and the one he gave back was old and very wrinkled. But I only noticed that later on. We got the manager, accused the cashier of passing bad money back, and got reimbursed, but what a bother. The manager was convinced when I pointed out two things: Why did the cashier give me back supposedly bad money, which the manager confirmed was bad, and what is the Bank Of Roma doing distributing supposedly bad Euros out of its ATM machines, which is the only way, as far as I could tell, anyone in Italy could even GET a 50 Euro note?

Westkoast, I do not yet know the exact figures for this trip because all the charges have not yet come in, but past trips usually cost about as much as I have stated. We have gone to Europe at least once, sometimes more, every year since 1983 and lately it has cost us that much with the way we travel - backpacks, trains, budget accommodations, cars on occasion, and buses and ferries when needed. Museum passes, metro passes, and miscellaneous expenses add to it, but that is why you go.

The one area we do NOT scrimp is food. We research restaurants and revisit favorites, regardless of the cost. Way too important to skip this important aspect of travel.
You did all that in 3 weeks?  I guess its not that suprising seeing as you and your wife are seasoned vets, but jeez!!  I wasnt looking for an exact amount but rather a rough estimate.  I REALLY apperciate the advice and explanation of how you and your wife have traveled.   My worldly (is that even a word lol) adventures consisted of going to Tijuana when I first turned 18 so I can drink in a bar lol.  Thats about it.  Apparently you are twice the Italiano that I am.

As for pizza my relatives who are from NY (that moved from Italy a while ago) ALWAYS make fun of American pizza.  They were telling me that pizza out there is more like bread with very light cheese/sauce.  Much more like a compliment to your meal than it is a meal in itself.  What do you enjoy more?  Our pizza or their "pizza"

rickortreat

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 07:27:45 PM »
If I had time off for a vacation, I wouldn't be heading to Europe this time of year.

Your money goes much farther in Mexico, and some of the islands in the Carribean are very nice if you're into diving and such.

You also might consider S. America as their summer is during our winter.  Personally, I'd love to spend time in Argentina, Brazil or Venezuala.  Their woman are soooo hot!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 08:10:35 PM »

You did all that in 3 weeks?  I guess its not that suprising seeing as you and your wife are seasoned vets, but jeez!!  I wasnt looking for an exact amount but rather a rough estimate.  I REALLY apperciate the advice and explanation of how you and your wife have traveled.   My worldly (is that even a word lol) adventures consisted of going to Tijuana when I first turned 18 so I can drink in a bar lol.  Thats about it.  Apparently you are twice the Italiano that I am.

As for pizza my relatives who are from NY (that moved from Italy a while ago) ALWAYS make fun of American pizza.  They were telling me that pizza out there is more like bread with very light cheese/sauce.  Much more like a compliment to your meal than it is a meal in itself.  What do you enjoy more?  Our pizza or their "pizza"
Yeah, all in three weeks. This type of trip was pretty typical for us when we were younger, but then we decided to focus on just one area of a country for a while and kept the constant moving around to a minimum. This is the first trip in quite a while that we did where we did not stay in any one place for more then two nights.

But we ARE seasoned vets when it comes to this type of travel through Europe. My wife does all the planning for the entire trip, usually starting six months ahead of time, gets the rail passes, books the hotels and B&B's, arranges for cars - everything. She now works as a travel agent out of our house, so her expertise is useful. But honestly? We are her best customers.

That amount is very rough. The thing is, we really never know how much it costs, since you pay everything over so much time - the air could be paid for months before you go, as are the rail passes and ferries. Once there, you collect receipts all trip long and never sort them or look at them for some time after you get back. But I wondered myself several years ago how much these trips typically costs, so ran the numbers and that is what it came out to be, roughly $5-6,000, but that was like five years ago, though costs have crept up since then.

Pizza varies greatly in Italy, from a wafer-like crust with no tomato sauce whatsoever, but just mushrooms and what tastes like roadkill greens on it (can you say, double=YUCK!!!), to a saucy, juicy, tomato-ladened pie with prosciutto ham and all kinds of toppings. The best Italian pizzas are all cooked in wood-burning ovens, they have very irregular-looking crusts (seldom do they come out looking "round", and are usually eaten individually - not shared with others, but you get the whole pie for yourself. They are roughly 14 inches across too, so the crusts can't be too thick, or nobody could eat them. That might be the biggest difference between their pizzas and ours - the texture of the crust. They also spend a bit more effort on putting flavor into their pizza sauces.

I would never order a pizza that does not come with tomato sauce on it in Italy, nor with olives on it (personal dislike). I ate few pizzas, mainly for two reasons. I actually DO prefer the pizza I eat here in general, though the variety you get over there has something to do with that. And they DO make pizzas that are not that good in Italy just like here, so you can be disappointed. But if you find a pizzeria that knows what they are doing, like this place we love in Sorrento, it beats our stuff all to hell.

So in short, the very best pizza in Italy is better then 99% of what you get here, though I have no doubt there are places in New York that hit the high mark.

Sadly, nothing on the west coast comes close, though North Beach Pizza in San Francisco is pretty darn good. The best pizza place in Sacramento is Luigi's, located in the absolute worse neighborhood in town, but fortunately my wife makes a great pizza.  

My biggest problem with ordering pizza in Italy was that I did not want to miss out on any pasta dishes. Did I mention I really loved the pasta I had in Italy? If the question you had regarded pasta as it is cooked in Italy compared to just about anywhere in the States, all I can tell you is that the worst pasta I ate there was better then just about any I have eaten in the States.

Except for Franchino's, also in San Francisco on Columbus Street. Franchino is from Naples, you see.....

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 08:16:51 PM »
If I had time off for a vacation, I wouldn't be heading to Europe this time of year.

Your money goes much farther in Mexico, and some of the islands in the Carribean are very nice if you're into diving and such.

You also might consider S. America as their summer is during our winter.  Personally, I'd love to spend time in Argentina, Brazil or Venezuala.  Their woman are soooo hot!
That is the other type of vacation we do every year. Yeah, I get four weeks vacation, plus bonus days, every year.

In September, we went on a dive vacation for a week in Belize, in Central America, and last January, we were diving on Roatan, Honduras.

Now THAT is hard to beat. I love Europe, but there is something about diving that I crave, and Belize is a great place to do it.  

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 10:44:32 PM »
Wait! I am a white guy but I dont play at a private gym =[
You spell coast with a "k", I didn't put you on "white guy".

No friggin way you're white, no FRIGGIN way!

What is this world comming too?
Koast is White???

:mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:

:mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:

ummmm...wow....that is the most shocking thing i have heard this year....

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 10:47:43 PM »
Hate to digress from the lovely side conversation between Fredo and Michael, but...
There is no funnier show than Inside the NBA.  What I find the most hilarious is that Charles and to a lesser extent Kenny still have no idea where the obscure line of 'going too far' is for national cable TV.  Ernie Johnson is as professional a sports anchor as there is today and its a riot watching him turn different shades of red-violet after Charles has publicly humiliated an entire geographical location. 

Basketball knowledge wise, there aren't too many who are gonna say it like it is, like Charles and Kenny.  Kenny has a bad habit of stating the obvious and Charles likes generalizing a touch, but generally their synopsis is spot on.  Magic isn't bad and I have a feeling Reggie will be really really good.  His sister is one of the most underrated sideline reporters for basketball.
About the Mavericks or any other team for that reason playing Phoenix, I would put my top two perimeter defenders on Shawn Marion and Kurt Thomas.  I don't care if you're top perimeter defender is Earl Boykins, stick him on Marion and when they pick and roll, now Steve Nash is going to have to deal with a great perimeter defender instead of (Dirk Nowitzki, Kwame Brown, Kenny Thomas) -- <insert slow footed big man here>-- and I think teams would have more success.  Although Shawn Marion is a talented offensive player, he isn't a back to the basket post threat.  If Dallas had placed Darryl Armstrong (Harris, Daniels, Howard) on Marion instead of Dirk Nowitzki, I don't think Phoenix pushes it to a 17 point lead.  The ONLY TEAM in the NBA who is gonna get away with putting their Center on Marion is Detroit because they have Ben Wallace (who is just as good of a perimeter defender as you'll find).  Also would someone please show AGGRESSIVELY on that pick and roll, for christ sakes people, you know exactly what Phoenix is gonna do in the half court, do what it takes to stop it.  Grow some huevos and force Phoenix to beat you some other way.
I better be Michael!!!!

fagedaboudit!!

it's me SPURSX3

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 10:51:09 PM »

sorry the last two posts above were me...

Rick, guess you could see from the rioting how nice a vacation spot those countries are right now.  j/k