Author Topic: Sixers blow a game vs. the Bucks.  (Read 1373 times)

rickortreat

Sixers blow a game vs. the Bucks.
« on: November 01, 2005, 09:59:45 PM »
When the game started out, Philly was so much better, making the extra pass, shooting a high percentage and pressuring the Bucks and creating turnovers.

But Milwaukee is a very good team,  lots of shooters, some decent height, and a philosophy of pushing the ball in the hopes of getting an advantage and an easy bucket.

If Philly could just keep playing smart, they would have won the game going away.  But they reverted into a "me" team with different players trying to break down the Bucks defense.  With Webber and AI both scoring over 30, one might think they would have managed to win anyway, but not against a decent team like Milwaukee.

The Bucks managed to shoot a very high percentage with all their run-outs, .494, vs. .432 for the Sixers.  

When AI and Webber combine for 67 pts. and the team is up by 7 with a minute and a half left, the game should be over.  As I watched it, I said, "they need another score" sure enough, they didn't get it, the Bucks tied the game with a 3 with 1.5 seconds left, and won the game going away in OT.

The Bucks are a little tall for the Sixers without Dalembert.  Hunter did a decent job and Webber was great- He's definitely back to being the old CWebb.  But the Bucks just had too much height and it wore the Sixers down.  

I was encouraged by a lot of what I saw, the Sixers should win over 50 games this season.  With that said, the fact they couldn't put the Bucks away was troubling.  To not be able to score once with 1:30 on the clock is not a good sign.  It was bad to see them revert to a one on one team instead of the sharp passing team they were in the beggining of the game.  All it took was a little presure by the Bucks to turn the game their way.  Philly needs the disicpling of running offensive plays and making the extra pass.  When they do, they're very hard to stop.  When they simply rely on AI's ability and CWebb's ability, they're not a great team, just an average one.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:34:01 AM »
Only saw the highlights.  Since the NBA allows intentional fouling thus awarding of two foul shots only (if not in act of shooting), how does Philly +3 fail to foul Redd before shot attempt?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 11:24:32 AM »
Only saw the highlights.  Since the NBA allows intentional fouling thus awarding of two foul shots only (if not in act of shooting), how does Philly +3 fail to foul Redd before shot attempt?
Were you not just saying this is a cheap way to play basketball a few months back?

I agree they should have done it but at the same time he was taking a fall away 3 about 2-3 feet behind the top of the arc with defenders in his face.  That was just a great shot.

AI and Webber came up big but where the hell was the rest of the team??
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 11:44:36 AM »
Were you not just saying this is a cheap way to play basketball a few months back?

I agree they should have done it but at the same time he was taking a fall away 3 about 2-3 feet behind the top of the arc with defenders in his face.  That was just a great shot.

Yes Reality is the rule is in place.  As the thread pointed out, since both teams get X fouls to give per half, if one of them has a foul to give at the end it's only fair they should be allowed to give it.

My response was to have the team that is behind and horking up the final shot  simply flick the ball anywhere near the hoop as they are intentionallying you.  3 shot foul.

Either way props to Redd.  43rd player taken overall.  Think some teams want their 2000 pick back.

Anywho Igs gets 4 shots while Iverson gets 28 for 39%.  Sounds like same old same old.  How did that happen?  Mo?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 12:04:48 PM by Reality »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 01:23:08 PM »
Actually, IMO, that's EXACTLY what you want to do to the Sixers.

Don't like Iggy or Korver (yeah, like he can beat you) beat you -- make AI take a ton of shots and let Webber get his as well.  Then you STILL beat the Sixers.  I'm amazed that people are talking about the Sixers as a good defensive team -- you have this line-up:  AI, Iggy, Korver, Webber and Dalembert.  Does that scare anyone defensively?  Okay, Iggy is scary defensively but he can't guard the whole team -- and AI is only scary in the passing lanes and perhaps picking your pocket -- you definately want to post him up.  Korver is a joke defensively, Webber has very limited horizontal foot movement left and Dalembert is a poster child for fouls.  Go right at them and just make sure that Iggy and Korver don't shoot well from the perimeter.  Let AI, Webber and Dalembert shoot all day long (the first two from outside and Dalembert from anywhere on the court).  

As for MO, I'm telling you that I think he was a disappointing coach in Portland and I don't think that's going to change in Philly.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 01:46:18 PM »

Iguodala had 5 steals and Korver had 2 blocks.  John Salmons who has had some eye-popping stat lines during pre-season looked great attacking the middle of the court.  He's playing with a pg-sense and it has looked very impressive, the team was there.  Philly played good, Milwaukee played better...simple as that.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 02:37:45 PM »
Sixers were +12 with Iguodala in the game.  -21 when he was out.  His fouling out was key, they had that game wrapped up.  Nobody else could stick with Redd.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 02:42:27 PM »
Sixers were +12 with Iguodala in the game.  -21 when he was out.  His fouling out was key, they had that game wrapped up.  Nobody else could stick with Redd.
Wow, that is impressive.

Tell me the fouls were legit.  Especially #6.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 03:08:10 PM »
6 was legit, just stupid.  thought 2 of there others were questionable, but nothing major.

They were more unnecessary fouls than non-fouls.  He shouldn't make those.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 03:15:08 PM »
He's a sophomore, you have to expect growing pains, especially when you apply a lot of defensive pressure like he does.  But that +/- number is very impressive.    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 05:43:11 PM »
Gee, it must be nice to rehash a loss by your team that went into overtime.

I, on the other hand, am contemplating putting a bag over my head, to hide my affiliation, but can't decide whether to use paper or plastic.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 05:48:03 PM »
Gee, it must be nice to rehash a loss by your team that went into overtime.

I, on the other hand, am contemplating putting a bag over my head, to hide my affiliation, but can't decide whether to use paper or plastic.
After looking at the score and the team played....id say plastic would do the trick  :D  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com