Author Topic: Steve Smith retires.  (Read 1669 times)

jn

Steve Smith retires.
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:37:47 PM »
I was always a fan.  He's a class act and until the injuries started to mount up he had a very complete, dependable game.  I got to see him up 38 points on the road against an terrific U of MN team.  That was among the very best college performances I have seen in person.  

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/4919692

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:57:36 PM »
Mark me down as a Steve Smith fan.  Another ex-Polar Bear!

The guy had a classy game, and a classy style to go with it.  Absolute robbery when the Blazers got him for J.R. Rider and Jimmy Jackson.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 02:11:09 PM »
I second jn and Joes' sentiments ... or I guess I third them.  A class act with a lethal outside shot.  I think his endowment to MSU is still the largest ever from an NBA player to their alumni (I think it was $3mil).  Even with that he's still my second favorite MSU player of all time.  

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 03:08:14 PM »
Even with that he's still my second favorite MSU player of all time.

Wow msc, I didn't know you appreciated Glen Rice so much, I thought he could've contributed more to the Lakers.  Maybe you mean Terry Mills...ah you gotta love big men who use their size and strength to hoist threes from 30 feet.  Wait a minute maybe Zach Randolph,...yeah the press never gives him a fair shake....Mo Pete....hmmmm.....Mateen Cleaves........throw me a friggin' bone here msc.

<Skander wrestles the keyboard from his clueless alter-ego>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Smith was a wonderful player and human being.  I remember watching him first play on the 1994 World Championship Team, announcers were raving at his point guard-like instincts in such a tall athletic body.  He really played well for Miami and I never understood why they traded him and Grant Long to Atlanta in 95 for I don't even remember who.  I'm glad that he finally got his ring with San An because its good to see a nice guy win.  And no matter what kind of superstar that Carolina WR turns out to be, I'm going to think of this guy when people say Steve Smith.            
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 03:21:26 PM »
It doesnt seem that long ago that he was a very good shooter in the league.  I assume he retired because of his age but the article did not say exactly.  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 04:34:49 PM »
Terry Mills? Glen Rice?  Oh man.... that is a TRULY clueless alter ego.  B)

I think we all know that msc is a fan of the man who led Sparty to a championship over Larry Bird and Indiana State, then went on to change the way the NBA game is played, Mr. Greg Kelser.

I think the main injury problem for Smith was his knees.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 03:02:23 AM »
Terry Mills? Glen Rice? Oh man.... that is a TRULY clueless alter ego.

Oh, give him a break.  Michigan...Michigan State...it's just some worthless Big 10 school...they're all the same...after all, Michigan is a state, isn't it?

You know, what I *REALLY* want to know is if Skander got Mills' and Rice's school mixed up, or if he was being facetious, because it seemed like he and I had a debate one time about which school Glen Rice came out of....

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 12:08:25 PM »
yeah, yeah, that's it I was being facetious...that's the ticket.   B)

For some unknown reason I think I'll always get confused and think Rice and Mills came out of Michigan State.  I still don't know why I do that. :nonono:
Anyways...

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 04:16:42 PM »
then went on to change the way the NBA game is played, Mr. Greg Kelser.

:rofl:  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Steve Smith retires.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 11:36:34 AM »
Props to steve, glad he got to get a ring with us, he IS a class act.  good luck to him.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.